Author Topic: Trick Tips  (Read 137691 times)

Gest

Re: Trick Tips
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2008, 08:28:19 PM »
No Comply flips anyone? No comply tricks are usually easy for me but I can't figure this one out.
its pretty simple when you put it all together, just lift up and smack your tail against the curb you are wanting do it off, but, instead of how you would do a regular no comply, you jump up off the board and let it do its thing. i think one key to doing this is putting your back foot almost like in a heelflip position. thats how i get it work. then again, i havent done one and havent been able to do one in a bit. but its the best feeling trick ever.

Bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »
Expand Quote
No Comply flips anyone? No comply tricks are usually easy for me but I can't figure this one out.
[close]
its pretty simple when you put it all together, just lift up and smack your tail against the curb you are wanting do it off, but, instead of how you would do a regular no comply, you jump up off the board and let it do its thing. i think one key to doing this is putting your back foot almost like in a heelflip position. thats how i get it work. then again, i havent done one and havent been able to do one in a bit. but its the best feeling trick ever.

Word. I'll give it a shot.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »
yeah..i think you use your toe/ball of your foot over your back wheel kinda and push out....

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i really want to learn these as well, ive got a pretty decent no comply ive just never been able to get it flipping. pierce has a decent one.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »
any advice on how to get my switch skating on par with my regular skating?  ankle injury has forced me to skate switch for a while, and i just realized how much i suck at skating switch....  for instance:

pushing mongo, going switch

not being able to acid drop off tiny curbs

wack sw 180s

my switch ollies are semi decent, but the control just isant there.... 

thanks in advance...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Back?
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
any advice on how to get my switch skating on par with my regular skating?  ankle injury has forced me to skate switch for a while, and i just realized how much i suck at skating switch....  for instance:

wack sw 180s

thanks in advance...

The same way you got your regular skating up to par, practice. It should be easier to learn switch tricks that you can do regular because you already know the mechanics of how they work.

Gest

« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:30 PM »
yeah, just be patient and get comftorable with it, have fun with it and itll come to you faster than you think. the less you actually think about it, the quicker it comes.

it took me 2 years of trying to get a switch flip, but in the meantime i got really comftorable skating around switch and find myself doing it more now than i do regular

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Back?
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2008, 12:18:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks to Gest's advice, I learned these tonight. They're pretty easy once you figure it out.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2008, 05:47:31 AM »
wack sw 180s
thanks in advance...

just ride switch everywhere, like *everywhere*.  start throwing your board down switch, push to the liquor store switch, everything.  and when you're doing tricks where you land switch/fakie, don't immediately turn back around.  force yourself to take at least one good, hard switch push, then do another switch trick.  also, pay attention to what your shoulders are doing on regular tricks, and try to do that on switch ones.  practice being able to switch ollie with your shoulders open, without turning a 180, like you can regular.

and don't be embarrassed at how doofy everything looks at first.  a month of skating switch all the time will do wonders.

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2008, 05:50:57 AM »
^^ he has very nice tre flips, does everyone have a friend with really good 360 flips because I know I do and every town seems to have one tre flip guy

heh, i've got the nollie tre friend.  wish i could do 3 flips like ^^ that guy, those were caught so cleanly.

on another note, can anyone tell me the secret to getting my front shuvs to *not* flip over?  how do people do those well-popped, perfectly flat ones?  is the levelling more in the front foot or back?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
wack sw 180s
thanks in advance...
[close]

just ride switch everywhere, like *everywhere*.  start throwing your board down switch, push to the liquor store switch, everything.  and when you're doing tricks where you land switch/fakie, don't immediately turn back around.  force yourself to take at least one good, hard switch push, then do another switch trick.  also, pay attention to what your shoulders are doing on regular tricks, and try to do that on switch ones.  practice being able to switch ollie with your shoulders open, without turning a 180, like you can regular.

and don't be embarrassed at how doofy everything looks at first.  a month of skating switch all the time will do wonders.

yeah thats the hardest part, like the natural tendency to just want to skate regular....  my switch push is horrible, all unstable and cross footed....

Expand Quote
^^ he has very nice tre flips, does everyone have a friend with really good 360 flips because I know I do and every town seems to have one tre flip guy
[close]

heh, i've got the nollie tre friend.  wish i could do 3 flips like ^^ that guy, those were caught so cleanly.

on another note, can anyone tell me the secret to getting my front shuvs to *not* flip over?  how do people do those well-popped, perfectly flat ones?  is the levelling more in the front foot or back?

i wrote a trick tip on fs shoves in previous pages of this thread, but im semi drunk so ill type it again....

foot positioning is key:

front foot in a heel flip like position, toes hanging off the board slightly, behind the bolts

back foot, heel side corner of the tail....

shove and front foot does nothing, it has to remain flat, and the front foot is to catch the board...  after board is caught with front foot bring your back foot on and there you have it....

remember to keep your front foot flat so it doesnt flip....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha, my front foot never leaves the board, so this has never been a problem
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

Lumpy Oatmeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
i think im the tre flip guy in my city.....like 90% of the tricks i do are tre flips
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
heres our tre flip guy fucking killing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eieY43QQi1g

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »
yeah thats the hardest part, like the natural tendency to just want to skate regular....  my switch push is horrible, all unstable and cross footed....

yeah, it sucks at first.  once you get the fierce switch push it's all you'll ever want to do.  get the switch front carve and you can just write off every other trick.

thanks for the tip, i'll give those fs shuvs another try later this week if i can ever get any time off work!

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »
haha, so true about the "nollie tre friend." also, have you ever noticed that the nollie tre friend can almost never do any of the other 3 tre flips correctly at all? horrible regular and switch ones, but amazing nollie ones.

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Back?
« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
haha, so true about the "nollie tre friend." also, have you ever noticed that the nollie tre friend can almost never do any of the other 3 tre flips correctly at all? horrible regular and switch ones, but amazing nollie ones.

Hah, I think I'm the nollie tre friend. They're definitely the easiest 3 flip. I can do the other ones, but nearly as well or as easily.

Gest

« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
front blunts on ledges? i've never really even tried this one except for a couple really weak bail-out tries, but i'd like to get some advice on how to not slip the fuck out

also back lips on ledges, i've been able to throw this one on flatbars forever but ledges i get into it weird

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »
I've completely lost my no complies.  I hadn't done them all winter, and they're not leaving the ground at all.  Back foot is right behind the bolts, and when I push down it rockets up but the back truck won't leave the ground no matter what I do.

Anybody?

Say Hi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »
front blunts on ledges? i've never really even tried this one except for a couple really weak bail-out tries, but i'd like to get some advice on how to not slip the fuck out

I got em like 2 weeks ago. Regular and fakie out. Just try to get the most parallel to the ledge you can get and lean against the direction you slide. To come out you have to be on top of the board, don't lean to far backwards or forwards. Put all the pressure on the wheels. It's hard to describe but you have to be able to push the board back to regs again. And wax this shit up!

Pat Butcher

• Rep: 2
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
ok so rock fakies, i don't so much need a tip its just a confidence thing.  admittedly i hardly ever skate ramp, but i do wanna get into it. so annoying just don't square myself up so i end up coming in like i'm riding backwards. was skating a horrible metal mini today and the shapes a bit off(sort of just past mellow), anyway took a super nasty hang up and slammed straight to my spine on the flat bottom. fooking rock fakies. just gonna do my shitty 50-50s back to back. anybody else dislike this trick or am i alone?

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
I didn't for a long time.  Basically, you just need to get comfortable with it- there is no secret to feeling good rolling down the ramp fakie.

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2008, 07:58:34 PM »
ok so rock fakies, i don't so much need a tip its just a confidence thing.  admittedly i hardly ever skate ramp, but i do wanna get into it. so annoying just don't square myself up so i end up coming in like i'm riding backwards. was skating a horrible metal mini today and the shapes a bit off(sort of just past mellow), anyway took a super nasty hang up and slammed straight to my spine on the flat bottom. fooking rock fakies. just gonna do my shitty 50-50s back to back. anybody else dislike this trick or am i alone?

the more you tweak, the easier rock tricks are.  tweak hard as fuck, but keep your weight in the ramp and not on the deck.  and don't hesitate when you're bringing your board back in, esp if you're rotating for a bs or fs rock.  you hesitate, you slide.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:18 AM »
frontside tail slides on tranny anyone??  i just cant get high enough to slap my tail in....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Wallrides from flat.

Anyone care to share their techniques? I've been trying them here and there for over a year now and still can't do them.
[close]

The way I do them is pretend im pumping up some transition but without the transition and jam it up there, and kickturn off fast.  I can only do backside. 

Cool, yea I've been only trying them backside, my problem is when I go to jam the board off the wall from flat I just smash myself into the wall and can't stay on it. I have no problems doing wallrides if theres even a little transition but I can't seem to get them off flat. I've watched the slow-mo one from the Girl - Yea Right intro many times and it seems so simple but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The kickturn fast might help I'll give that a shot, maybe I'm focusing too much on the wallride and not enough on getting the fuck off the wall.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
wack sw 180s
thanks in advance...
[close]

Good tips I'm gonna try this all, I don't put in my time switch because of how awkward I feel doing it, I'll just have to suck it up and start skating switch more.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wallrides from flat.

Anyone care to share their techniques? I've been trying them here and there for over a year now and still can't do them.
[close]

The way I do them is pretend im pumping up some transition but without the transition and jam it up there, and kickturn off fast.  I can only do backside. 
[close]

Cool, yea I've been only trying them backside, my problem is when I go to jam the board off the wall from flat I just smash myself into the wall and can't stay on it. I have no problems doing wallrides if theres even a little transition but I can't seem to get them off flat. I've watched the slow-mo one from the Girl - Yea Right intro many times and it seems so simple but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The kickturn fast might help I'll give that a shot, maybe I'm focusing too much on the wallride and not enough on getting the fuck off the wall.

And yes, thats right, I'm quoting myself in a 3rd consecutive post cuz I don't want this lost on page 7, deal with it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2008, 10:56:28 AM »
i remember some one asking for tips on popping out of blunt stalls on minis....  i asked for the same thing a long time ago and couldnt find the thread again, but managed to find a good sequence of it, courtesy of grimcity....

thanks to grim once again and hope this is helpful.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wack sw 180s
thanks in advance...
[close]

[close]

Good tips I'm gonna try this all, I don't put in my time switch because of how awkward I feel doing it, I'll just have to suck it up and start skating switch more.

if you put your hands in your pockets while you push switch, your shoulders will stay straight and your body will look more natural.
its a tip one of the younger guys gave me and it really helps a lot. 

BobbyPuleoJr

• Rep: -3
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
Ok, bs lipslides on ledges. I'm going to tackle this the two ways you can come out:at the end or in the middle.

You want to go at a bit of an angle at the ledge, enough of an angle that when you land in the back lip that the edge of the ledge would be close to your front truck. If you land too much in the middle of the board then you might stick or the board might just flop over because you're not balanced.

So go a decent speed, pop the ollie, turn backside and land with a good portion of your weight on your back foot while leaning a bit over your front foot to get the slide going.

Now coming out. If you're coming out at the end and you have enough speed then you might just be able to push a bit on the tail and turn off. If you don't have enough speed or you're coming out in the middle, then what I do is kind of put pressure on both feet then kind of jerk up and off of the ledge quickly, guiding the board with my feet. If you do it right, then you should do almost a mini pop off the ledge without putting your tail down. Then it's just a matter of turning the board back forward and landing straight.