Author Topic: people have tours dedicated to themsleves now  (Read 53716 times)

bornindabay

Re: people have tours dedicated to themsleves now
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 01:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I wish that kid would get cancer.
[close]
well isnt this your lucky day
the last guy to have a tour dedicated to himself infact died from cancer!

I have a problem that could be cancer. The doctor is stumped and said if the acid reflux medicine didn't work
than a scan was in order. I haven't called him and am scared. My lady had cancer while I was with her and it
was a crazy ordeal. Shit aint no joke and that's why NONE OF YALL should smoke ciggs. I quit but still bum one
now and then. ;D

natenola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 01:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skateboarding has hit an all time low.
[close]

This really isn't new. Tony Hawk's Boom Boom Huckjam, Mike V's Man vs. Skatepark...
[close]

It goes back even further than that. Alva did it in the 70's and Hosoi did it in the 80's. It's pretty sad though that it's Sheckler who is carrying on this tradition started by those legends.
But realisticly weren't both of these dudes just as big of douchebags at the height of their fame as sheckler is now. Have you ever noticed all Tony Alva does is talk about how awesome he is/was. Thats why he kid Tony Moriano's ass was because Tony called him out on his bullshit. I love how he also claims to have invented the early grab air over a year after Allen Gelfand already ollied.
Those dudes were lame probably equally as lame then as Sheckler is now.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 04:48:10 AM »
But realisticly weren't both of these dudes just as big of douchebags at the height of their fame as sheckler is now. Have you ever noticed all Tony Alva does is talk about how awesome he is/was. Thats why he kid Tony Moriano's ass was because Tony called him out on his bullshit. I love how he also claims to have invented the early grab air over a year after Allen Gelfand already ollied.

Yeah Alva seems wayyyy too into himself. What year did he even skate last?
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 05:51:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This really isn't new. Tony Hawk's Boom Boom Huckjam, Mike V's Man vs. Skatepark...
[close]

It goes back even further than that. Alva did it in the 70's and Hosoi did it in the 80's. It's pretty sad though that it's Sheckler who is carrying on this tradition started by those legends.
[close]

Well, the difference is (and it's a big difference) is that those dudes were innovators. They deserved it because they actually brought something new to the game. It's easy to say something is no big deal if you've already seen it before, but the real shit is dudes who pull shit out of thin air and do shit that wasn't previously possible. Sheckler just recycles what's already been done. He's just popular because he's a good looking kid to all the little girls. I'm not saying he's not good. He rips! But he is no innovator.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
Re: pople have tours dedicated to themsleves now
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 06:05:58 AM »
What happens if he hurts himself and can't skate? What if he falls and scrapes his pretty face on ground... he won't have the 14 year olds screaming for him anymore.

skateboarding will be saved

kevbo999

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 06:53:39 AM »
I knew it would be about Sheckler before I opened the thread.

colin

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »
Alex, I'd gnar you for that one, too, and, Finland, that video was something else.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
skatoria
Jun 26, 2007
i'm going to the x games!! and i get first comment
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

natenola

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Well, the difference is (and it's a big difference) is that those dudes were innovators. They deserved it because they actually brought something new to the game. It's easy to say something is no big deal if you've already seen it before, but the real shit is dudes who pull shit out of thin air and do shit that wasn't previously possible. Sheckler just recycles what's already been done. He's just popular because he's a good looking kid to all the little girls. I'm not saying he's not good. He rips! But he is no innovator.
Sorry i'm not really buying this man, We all know that Sheckler is a total jock douchebag but he does have the skills hes not just some teen beat girl magnet. Now really Hosoi and Alva get way too much credit, Yeah Alva was an innovator but if you beleived all the bullshit he fed you, you'd think he invented the fuckin kickflip and switch krooked grind and Rodney Mullen was just some pointless kook from florida. Alva's main innovation in skateboarding was marketing himself. Hosoi is a Legend to but i don't think it's ever been for innovation it's purely on style and going big.
Also these are two guys that named skateboard companies after themselves and for a while the were the only riders on the team. These dudes are equally up there own asses as sheckler.
You don't here Gonz And Natas or even Mullen talking about how great or important they are in skateboarding. Or wearing t-shirts with their own names on them. Thats why Alva is no less a douche than sheckler.

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
Alva hate has potential to get big on here.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2007, 12:49:45 PM »
That's just nuts. When did Alva claim to have invented kickflips and switch crooks? That's totally random.

Hosoi invented the art of GOING HUGE. And even Danny Ways says that Hosoi influenced more street skaters than any actual street skater, back when Hosoi was in his Venice jump ramp phase.

And both guys had full teams, they weren't the only guys on their teams - that's just not true.

You're gonna have to at least back up your hate with something other than just random shit you made up. I mean, come on. That's pointless.

natenola

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »
That's just nuts. When did Alva claim to have invented kickflips and switch crooks? That's totally random.

Hosoi invented the art of GOING HUGE. And even Danny Ways says that Hosoi influenced more street skaters than any actual street skater, back when Hosoi was in his Venice jump ramp phase.

And both guys had full teams, they weren't the only guys on their teams - that's just not true.

You're gonna have to at least back up your hate with something other than just random shit you made up. I mean, come on. That's pointless.
In 79 when Alva started his company he was the only rider for a while, find an Alva skateboards timeline, What full team did Hosoi ever really have? Sergie Ventura? When Hosoi was Skateboards was done through Santa Cruz it was just him forever. Seroiusly you want facts The First Hosoi santa cruz board was out around 86 a Sergie Ventura pro model didn't show up till around 89. So he was the only pro on his team for at least 3 years who knows about when it was done by skull skates. But good luck finding a Hosoi board with another pro back then cause i can't.
I actually have respect for Hosoi He fuckin lipslides a lockwood table in the first 411. But the facst are and the point of this  whole tirade is that he was a cocky self center ass, who if tattoos were as big then as they are now would probably have a rising sun graphic inked on his back.

As for Alva he's highly documented as being a self centered ass, he pretty much admits to in the Z-Boys documentry. And he was never the most talented or innnovative member of that team, just the most rock n roll and business savy.  My problem with his cockiness is that he takes credit for things that he didn't really do. I.e. the kickflip/swith krook refrence. I never said he claims to have invented those tricks but he feels his importance is much greater than it is when  he should own up to the fact that he never invented the air. People were already doing ollies and moving past him, yet he felt he needed to claim some sort of glory when in reality he was just getting stoned and being hungover in some mythical pool that may as well never existed. Oh and by the way i've met him twice hes a dick.
But people give him a pas because hes "TA" and "A living Legend".

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »
In the Hosoi doc, he had a whole team with videos and everything. I don't remember all of who was on, but Sergie was, as was Monty Nolder, Jonee Kopp, Bo Ikeda, some dude named Scott something... he had a full team and they talked about them a bunch in the doc. It's a good documentary, you should check it out. Their team was, as Lance Mountain put it, a "traveling circus". It was discussed at length with video proof.

EDIT: Yeah, you might have a point about Alva. I just re-watched the Dogtown doc recently, and now that I think about it, wasn't it Peralta who initially did all that solo touring? I remember him saying the reason was "I just wanted to show the world what skateboarding was" or something to that effect. But I do remember Alva saying something about how he went to England and they had named a bowl after him or some shit, so maybe I got the two confused.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 03:19:07 PM by Mullet Man »

bornindabay

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 03:03:54 PM »
sounds like a dairy farm to me.

Hosoi was sick. Alva was never even on the radar. He just had a company that was successful. Hosoi probably was cocky but
he probably had his slice of humble pie in the more recent years. He was the dude that had the highest and most stylish airs.
I thought he always put way to much on it and was to glam boy for me. I preferred the more rugid looking skaters with flannels.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
I have a problem that could be cancer. The doctor is stumped and said if the acid reflux medicine didn't work
than a scan was in order. I haven't called him and am scared. My lady had cancer while I was with her and it
was a crazy ordeal. Shit aint no joke and that's why NONE OF YALL should smoke ciggs. I quit but still bum one
now and then. ;D

i am going through nearly that exact situation right now. i was stressed going in before i knew there was even a problem, there is no way in fuck i want to return and find out its cancer. id rather not know, chemo is worse than the disease in alot of stomach/rectum cases.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »
I'm confused - what sounds like a dairy farm, and who was the glam boy?

natenola

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 07:55:47 AM »
Christian Hosoi was the Glam Boy always wearing ridicolous outfits and spandex shorts with hot pink tank tops. Find some old pics of him his outfits they put Greco's get ups to shame.
I never heard of that tour and i think you might be confused because i know for a fact that many of those dudes never rode for his company.
He may have just rounded them all up fo a tour.
Johnee Kop rode for vision, Monty Nolder rode for Schmitt Stix, Scott Oster? who was a Hosoi homie rode for Dogtown. And Bo Ikeda was an early 90's pro so unles he was an underground am forever i'm a little confused on that one. But he rode for Vision then rode for some Vision breakoff company, then faded out.
So i think what your talking about was a Homie tour Hosoi never had riders on his teams beside Sergie till he did Focus and all off the 90s companies he had.
The Bowl i was referring to was the Cancer Kids backyard pool that supposedly all the Z-boys innovation went down in. But those guys were already years behind and probably just getting loaded and carving around  in some rich kids pool.

hargo

• Rep: -50
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2007, 08:34:57 AM »
sheckler has no skills. his shit is easy.
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2007, 08:49:31 AM »
Aw shit, I can't figure that youtube command out... Here's the link.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PofZLCTpSKQ

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 08:52:34 AM »
Peep the "shaka shaka" with the cross pinky ring at the end. Jesus would be stoked.

soon

• Rep: 1
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2007, 10:57:57 AM »
ass vs dick tour

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Christian Hosoi was the Glam Boy always wearing ridicolous outfits and spandex shorts with hot pink tank tops. Find some old pics of him his outfits they put Greco's get ups to shame.
I never heard of that tour and i think you might be confused because i know for a fact that many of those dudes never rode for his company.
He may have just rounded them all up fo a tour.
Johnee Kop rode for vision, Monty Nolder rode for Schmitt Stix, Scott Oster? who was a Hosoi homie rode for Dogtown. And Bo Ikeda was an early 90's pro so unles he was an underground am forever i'm a little confused on that one. But he rode for Vision then rode for some Vision breakoff company, then faded out.
So i think what your talking about was a Homie tour Hosoi never had riders on his teams beside Sergie till he did Focus and all off the 90s companies he had.
The Bowl i was referring to was the Cancer Kids backyard pool that supposedly all the Z-boys innovation went down in. But those guys were already years behind and probably just getting loaded and carving around  in some rich kids pool.

Just watch the Hosoi doc already. Then come back and tell us what you've learned. There is a section about THE TEAM. They talk about THE TEAM in detail. He talks about SPONSORING those guys. Other people talk about THE TEAM in detail. This might sound shocking, but some skaters have been known to have more than one sponsor over the course their career. No offense, dude. But more research is in order.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »
Fuck it, I'm bored. So I popped the dvd in.

Here are some direct quotes from it the chapter "TEAM HOSOI"...

Hosoi: "I started sponsoring guys like Monty Nolder, Sergie Ventura, Bo Ideka, Jonee Kopp..."

Scott Oster: "You know, Christian had sort of an extended family of everyone who skated for him. When I was just kinda coming up in the amature ranks, he was the guy that, you know, just kinda like saw something in me, and just like said you know what? I like the way you skate. I like that you're half-Asian. He was very much into his culture, his roots..."

Someone off camera: "The way they did their videos, and the way everyone had longer hair, it was more like a lifestyle kinda thing, that was really what Hosoi SK8S was all about."

(?): "Man, I really like the way he set his team up because it was the whole package. You had to skate their style, you had to dress their style, and you had to be a sharp looking dude - and their whole team was ON! And we sorta looked at them all the time like "Aw, there's the Hollywood team."

Christian's best friend: "Christian's team riders all started to look like Christian as time went by. No matter who rode on his team, eventually they'd look... like Christian!"

Lance Mountain: "HOSOI was more like a travelling party, with him being the leader..."

The dudes who's names I didn't mention were credited, I just don't remember them and they don't show the names onscreen during this particular part. And while he did do some bro tours with non-team members, it's pretty obvious from just what I've quoted here, that he had an actual TEAM. And they went on several tours, apparently.

There is also a chapter where they all bag on his goofy getups, including the pink pants and spandex (Kareem Campbell and Danny Way comment on the spandex).

Check it out, it's a sick documentary. Just skip the last ten minutes if you can't handle the whole 'finding religion' part of the story.