Author Topic: Coming to New York City  (Read 7004 times)

iriemon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Coming to New York City
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »
next Saturday for one week, from food to spots, what should I not miss? I'm staying off W 101st and Amsterdam.
"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason. " Hunter S. Thompson

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image
Re: Coming to New York City
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
flushings and the banks. Downtown is pretty much a bust.

george

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
just go to tompkins

biggums mcgee

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:59:04 PM »
downtown isn't really a bust

brooklyn is where it's at for great spots, try to hit that up

oh, maybe trying to go to the autumn bowl would make for a good destination
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:07:16 PM by D.V._EaglesFan »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:02:26 PM »
just DONT go to tompkins

....you'll miss out on actually skateboarding

downtown isn't really a bust

brooklyn is where it's at for great spots

hardly art, hardly starving

TheFrontSeatLife

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 05:15:15 PM »
Flushing is fun. Go to Autumn Skate Shop. Go to KCDC. Great mini ramp. Get a metro card for a week. I think it's 30 bucks but you have unlimited subway use. Skate around Williamsburg. There's a really really fun, not too high, metal edged ledge across the street from KCDC. Skating around uptown is super fun. NYC is essentially the shit so do all that. Union Square is fun too. As well as Houston (pronounced HOUSE-Ton) park. Check out some other non skate stuff too or you'll miss out. Bembe, a bar in Williamsburk, Brooklyn is really cool. Great 80's night on Monday and really fun Reggae night on Tuesdays. Of course you have to go to the Banks. Realize how rough it is and realizehow ill the dudes who rip it are. There are also fun sloped banks at the Verizon building near the BK Banks.

george

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
corny.
just go to tompkins, find a seat, and sit down. if youre lucky there might even be two fights one day

Edward Penishands

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:05:02 PM »
in all seriousness........go to the banks, find steve rodriguez and ask him to show you some spots in downtown manhatten, he'll be super hyped to do so.  also, LES park under the manhatten bridge in china town is a great warm up spot.

nerd34

• Rep: 2
  • Riding on a Murshaq back
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 09:48:20 PM »
in all seriousness........go to the banks, find steve rodriguez and ask him to show you some spots in downtown manhatten, he'll be super hyped to do so.  also, LES park under the manhatten bridge in china town is a great warm up spot.

don't go to the LES bridge park.  Kids are now hunting skaters down there. Some shit happened and some kids got theyre boys to come back with chains and bats. They threatened to beat the shit out of anymore skaters that come there. DONT GO THERE its fucked.

and are you from San Francisco?

iriemon

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »
Sacramento, actually. Thanks for all the help, keep it coming ;D, especially if its similar to that info above, anywhere else I should avoid. Yeah, that Steve Rodriguez epicly later'd got me so pumped to come, that was perfect. I hope I see that dude there, he hyped me up so much to get out there. Glad this week wasn't the greco episode, I might have left my skateboard at home, holy shit that was a trainwreck :-[....
"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason. " Hunter S. Thompson

914shred

• Rep: 3
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 10:09:43 PM »
astor place, the bubble banks, time life, huf  ledge, wait I'm dating myself. There's tons of shit along the west side highway from up town all the way to battery park plus theres a bunch of chicks jogging in next to nothing during the summer, find some one with a key to the autnm bowl it's worth hitting once. Down town is pretty fun if it's at night, along the pier by the east river is good too and a quick skate from the banks. Have fun!

nerd34

• Rep: 2
  • Riding on a Murshaq back
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »
the least i can do....

its more than what i got from people on this board when i was heading out west to SF

dont go to Lenox ledges....110th and Lenox.  You get tickets.

iriemon

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 10:24:44 PM »
 Good lookin. I'd be more than happy to reciprocate and show you around if you're ever back out this way, and if you're out here, don't miss Sacramento county, there's so much up here and so many rippers plus we have a big city park that just opened and a skate plaza an hour away up in Yuba City ;D

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 11:11:24 PM »
you also have a beebs there.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

iriemon

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 11:45:30 PM »
this is true, they come for the spots but stay for the beebs

imask8r914

• Rep: -3
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 12:00:11 AM »

SoapboxStance

• Rep: -6
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 08:08:07 AM »
corny.
just go to tompkins, find a seat, and sit down. if youre lucky there might even be two fights one day

biggums mcgee

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »
union square is a waste of your time..

TheFrontSeatLife

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
You don't think Union is fun? There's better places but there's certainly worse one's too.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »
You don't think Union is fun? There's better places but there's certainly worse one's too.

he probably means you will get kicked out in less than 10minutes

jesus0nvi4gra

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 08:39:06 PM »
Unions not that bad with cops when I've been there, but I've definitely heard some stories.  The 2 small sets in a row there are fun.  But thats it basically there, and its really crowded with people.  Downtown is definitely NOT a bust, there's a lot of spots pretty close and getting kicked out of one just means you move on.  And I've never had a problem with a cop Downtown, thought I've heard it could be a little sketchier in that regard further uptown.  I'd say citywide the shop to check out would be KCDC, which has( as already mentioned) a sick mini if thats your forte.  Autumn ain't bad either but it'll suck you into the blackhole that is Tompkins.  It's a fun place, especially when the boxes are out(not sure which ones they got anymore) they used to have some cool puleo designed ones.  But its just flatground, like thats it, its not a spot.  Shame you're not going during the Back To The Banks event, that usually draws about 500 kids and is a hell of a time, not to mention the sick contests, giveaways, and all the pros that show.

The Ripper

• Rep: -1
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »
the brooklyn banks gets boaring. go to the lenox ledges   http://www.quartersnacks.com/qs/spots/uptown/lenoxledges.php   theyre so sick.

iriemon

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 09:08:32 PM »
Yeah, I just saw the flyer online for that contest, looks sick, it's on my birthday, oh well, I'd rather be able to skate the banks. Damn, those Lenox ledges look sick as fuck! I'm getting so stoked!!

george

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »
lenox is a bust tickets and shit. i still dont understand how they turned a south harlem crackspot into a 1.5 million dollar condominium complex.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »
lenox is a bust tickets and shit. i still dont understand how they turned a south harlem crackspot into a 1.5 million dollar condominium complex.

so im assuming that quarter snacks isnt giving the most reliable situation.  is it hard to ditch the cops there? im planing a trip for maybe novemberish.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

coolio

• Rep: 6
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 09:52:29 PM »
nah chill i skated lenox last week for like 3 hours
didnt get booted or anything....and everyone else i know hasnt really stoped hittign it up and they have had no problems either

you really need a guide, thats the best way to get anything out of your trip i think
my jobs sucks so unfortunatly i cant help you, but MAYBE you want to hit up tompkins and find kids who LOOK like they actually skate and try to make friends with them....

and i havent heard of this LES beef yet, any more info
smelly in the bathroom, left with a wet willy

moustache

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 10:02:32 PM »
lenox=worst sport in NY. Everything New York skateboarding isn't. In my himble opinion. But I'm an asshole so whatever.

Um, it's late... I'll try and think or some reconmendations in the morning...

SoapboxStance

• Rep: -6
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03:48 AM »
I would actually venture to say that the alphabet ledges in Staten Island are a worse spot, in terms of being everything that a NY spot isn't, than the Lenox ledges.
Lenox ledges are not worth the trip, but since you're staying a little more than 9 blocks away, you should at least check it out. Skate uptown from Amsterdam, make a right on 110, bomb the hill, look both ways, and the ledges are on the corner of 110th and Lenox.
Beware of Shit Demon. His name is enough for me to tell you to beware. Beware.
Farter east, on Central Park North, there are some more ledges in front of an apt building, but they're usually not waxed. you can be the johnny appleseed and wax them shits, and we will be forever grateful.
There is only one flatbar to skate at tompkins, and the cracks that have developed over the years have been filled in with tar, which melts and makes life awful for the throngs of skaters that try and live there. Avoid it, but buy some limited edish shit at Autumn.
Rohan, the mayor of tompkins, is also currently banished from the for an indefinite period of time over some bullshit. Stay up.
Seriously, though, there are spots everywhere, and most of the best ones are probably not even noticed by the locals. Get a peice of paper and draw a grid. write "uptown" on the top, "downtown" on the bottom, "east" on the right, "west" on the left, and let that be your guide. You will not run out of places to skate, nor will you get lost or end up in some sketchy cut. Manhattan, below 110th, is entirely bougie and totally safe and skatable.

friershier

• Rep: -12
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 07:08:50 AM »
Personally if I were to go to NY I would not want to just skate the lennox ledges.  I mean they are a good spot but if youre only in Ny for a little while dont just hang out in Harlem skating some ledges in an apartment complex and dont go to KCDC to just stay indoors and skate a mini-ramp, though Williamsburg is worth checking out and its a good skate shop.  These are good tips as far as skate spots go but check out NY some too.  I would say go to Tompkins, it is a mediocre at best skate spot but youre pretty likely to see some pros and its a cool part of NY with a ton of hot chicks and weird NY people walking all over and then I would say just cruise around from there.  It is fun just to skate around the city checking it out you will come across a ton of decent spots, if youre a young guy into skating the lower east side is a fun area just to hang out in.   Also around 60th street toward the westside highway you will come across some pretty famous ledges at MLK high school that have been in a ton of videos and just skate around that area because there are a ton of spots, alot that are real good but I have never seen in videos. 

Edward Penishands

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:46 AM »
Farter east