Author Topic: What are you eating right now?  (Read 426418 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: What are you eating right now?
« Reply #2430 on: September 14, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »
you make it yourself or buy it at the supermarket? i never was able to make it "solid" with a food processor but I've had some good ones from the store and made some spreads/dips that were good too.

This one was a "parmesan" so just almonds/ brazil nuts/ cashews mixed up with some paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and nutritional yeast. Pretty much my go to for cheese these days.
Have made this one up before: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/how-to-make-fresh-vegan-moxarella-cheese/
but yeah, probably better just to buy commercial brands if you don't have the time/ resources to be making your own cheese every time you need a fix. What store bought brands are you into? My little part of rural Asia doesn't have much in the way of vegan cheeses but I am headed to the Philippines in the next few weeks and their health food stores are off the hook (or at least they are in Manila).

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2431 on: September 14, 2015, 01:33:35 AM »
I make good "cheeses" out of nuts as well. I've found the secret to be using cheese cloth and leaving it wrapped up and placed on a rack over a bowl to collect the water for a few hours. Dries it out and creates a crumbly feta like texture. Super good if you bake it before serving. Nothing is really cheese but its damn good nut pate.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #2432 on: October 22, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
I make good "cheeses" out of nuts as well. I've found the secret to be using cheese cloth and leaving it wrapped up and placed on a rack over a bowl to collect the water for a few hours. Dries it out and creates a crumbly feta like texture. Super good if you bake it before serving. Nothing is really cheese but its damn good nut pate.
nice. i need to try this the crumbly feta texture sounds like it would work great in a vegan lasagna. theres also a super bougie new gourmet vegan cheese place in west la that im afraid to go into.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2433 on: October 22, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
Wife(y) made vegan blue cheese dressing for our salad last night. Must say I was impressed

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2434 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »
Wife(y) made vegan blue cheese dressing for our salad last night. Must say I was impressed
wtf? love the effort but that sounds horid

im eating non vegan cheese nips, they rule

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2435 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
wtf? love the effort but that sounds horid

meh :P So what you're saying is instead of making this she should have; paid someone to artificially inseminate a cow and then steal its baby for the veal industry, feed it GMO corn/ soy(chuck a few antibiotics in there too for good measure), hook a machine up to its tits, milk it against its will and then ferment the finished product until blue mould grows on it? yes, because that doesn't sound horrid at all ::)

Seriously though, it was a pretty dope dressing
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:00:18 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

lamefetus

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2436 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »
Made some cabbage soup/ risotto thingy last night for dinner and have the leftovers.
Not the most visually pleasing soup out there but DAMN it made me fall in love with cabbages again.
Subbed in some homemade nut cheese for the parmesan and BOOM!

http://orangette.blogspot.jp/2013/12/approximately-soup.html

Dude thank you, gonna make this tonight and just leave the cheese out completely

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2437 on: October 23, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »
Wow, Gay Imp Sausage Metal, your wife sounds amazing!!!, I'm actually a bit jealous   :-[

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2438 on: October 25, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Made some cabbage soup/ risotto thingy last night for dinner and have the leftovers.
Not the most visually pleasing soup out there but DAMN it made me fall in love with cabbages again.
Subbed in some homemade nut cheese for the parmesan and BOOM!

http://orangette.blogspot.jp/2013/12/approximately-soup.html
[close]

Dude thank you, gonna make this tonight and just leave the cheese out completely

(y) It's a great recipe when you've got a whole cabbage (or two) lying around. I usually freeze half of the smothered cabbage and save it for another batch.

Wow, Gay Imp Sausage Metal, your wife sounds amazing!!!, I'm actually a bit jealous   :-[

Yeah, she can defs cook up a storm. It goes both ways too though, I make her crazy vegan pancake towers every sunday morning for brekkie (as well as lots of other goodies when I can).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:18:54 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

lamefetus

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2439 on: October 25, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »
ended up using gism's cabbage recipe idea as a base for my own. cabbage, carrots, brown rice and loads of onion, garlic, and other herbs. psyched to have dinner for a few nights now too!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2440 on: October 26, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »
Lime Wheat-Thins with my ex-girlfriend in bed while watching Hot Rod.

Everything about my previous sentence is as horrid as it sounds.

Anyone in Tempe, Arizona recommend any good food joints? I have the next few days off with cash to spare.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #2441 on: October 26, 2015, 01:04:01 AM »
Double Double Animal style and a Modelo Tallboy to wash it down 

aleksander

• Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2442 on: October 26, 2015, 04:04:08 AM »
Lime Wheat-Thins with my ex-girlfriend in bed while watching Hot Rod.

Everything about my previous sentence is as horrid as it sounds.

Haha oh man, that just got worse and worse... Stay strong, brother!
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

pissedead

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2443 on: October 26, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »
a veggie publix sub with spicy tofurkey and tempeh. best sandwich I've ever had, holy fucking shit

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2444 on: November 01, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
My girl made breaded baked chicken thighs and I whipped up some home made sweet potatoe fries with a maple brown sugar dipping sauce. Everything was awesome and was so cheap and easy to make.

straight

« Reply #2445 on: November 01, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
My girl made breaded baked chicken thighs and I whipped up some home made sweet potatoe fries with a maple brown sugar dipping sauce. Everything was awesome and was so cheap and easy to make.

Recipes please I'm hungry

Also post pic

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #2446 on: November 01, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »
fuckin lying if u say u aint eating candy today gah damn
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2447 on: November 01, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »
boss crunchwrap supreme from yesterday

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #2448 on: November 01, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »

your mom did not let you get taco bell AND go trick or treating in the same night
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

Tracer

« Reply #2449 on: November 01, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

your mom did not let you get taco bell AND go trick or treating in the same night
I dont eat candy or deep fried food

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2450 on: November 02, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Recipes please I'm hungry

Also post pic

i always think that im going to take a pic of what i cook, but then i feel like its not anything brag worth so i dont. anyway, i didn't see exactly what she did for the chicken, but it was pretty basic stuff. if i had to guess, it would be flower > egg > bread crumbs/spices (use whatever you want) > bake around 400-425 for 30 or so minutes. chicken thighs are good if you can handle dark meat because theyre a lot harder to dry out than breasts are. cheaper too.

for the fries, i peeled some sweet potatoes (save those peelings. if you fry them in oil with some garlic, salt & pepper, whatever else you like, until theyre super crispy and flakey, theyre awesome to add to sandwiches or salads. i fried a bunch up with some sweet onions and an egg this morning for breakfast and it was pretty good). then just cut the potatoes up like fries. i left mine long, but if i do it again, id cut the really long pieces in half. the smaller they are, the crispier they get and I like my fries crispy. then i took them and sort of scored them with a fork. i saw someone do this on a cooking video and they said it helps give them texture and helps the seasoning stick better. it took forever to do though because you have to score each one individually. if you dont want to take the time, i dont think it makes a huge difference. then just throw them in a mixing bowl with a little bit of oil and whatever spices you want. i used just a little bit of salt, garlic powder and paprika. i didn't use too much because i didn't want them to be too salty or garlicy. put those on a cookie sheet and bake at 425-450 for about 15 minutes, then flip them over and put back in for however long it takes them to finish. it might be a good idea to kick the broiler on for a few minutes right before you take them out for some extra crisp.

the sauce was just mayo, maybe a spoonful of honey, some brown sugar, and maple syrup. sounds disgusting, but trust me that its amazing. basically just keep adding brown sugar and syrup until you get it more sweet than salty. i have no idea what measurements i used, i just tasted it until it tasted how i wanted it.

sorry if that was way too long of a response, but ive been on a pretty big cooking kick lately. if you like cooking, definitely check out https://www.youtube.com/user/BrothersGreenEats and http://www.brothersgreen.com . they make a lot of crazy stoner style stuff, but they also make a lot of really good stuff with super basic ingredients and even left overs. i watch a lot of their stuff and they definitely help me get creative and resourceful with what i have at home. lots of cool and really easy tricks that anyone can make on the cheap.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2451 on: November 03, 2015, 06:36:36 AM »

i took a left over chicken thigh and made this last night. chicken, bacon, spinach with homemade caesar dressing and fresh grated parmesan on whole wheat tortilla.

sorry the photo sucks. my phone is old and my kitchen isnt very bright.

Jordick

« Reply #2452 on: November 15, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »
All I've eaten in the past three days has been a philly cheese steak and half a peanut butter-jelly sandwich. Still not feeling hungry but I have a feeling tomorrow I will be. Anybody have suggestions for what I should cook for dinner tomorrow? I'm thinking something involving pasta.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2453 on: November 15, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
Had tonnes of (organic) carrot tops/ leaves left over after buying a bunch on Saturday, blended them up to make a nice pesto sauce.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2454 on: November 15, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
Been into muffins lately.  I bought some banana muffin mix, then I add shredded carrot, cinnamon and chocolate chips.  I need to try and make some Morning Glories from scratch soon.  Truly, the Holy Grail of muffins.

Tracer

« Reply #2455 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »
Falafel wrap

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2456 on: November 16, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
Just made and ate an super good black bean burrito bowl, but after felt actually kinda of sad I forgot to put nutritional yeast in it. Any other Nutritional yeast lovers up in here? I especially love it on pasta and Mexican style food

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: November 16, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »
Anybody have suggestions for what I should cook for dinner tomorrow? I'm thinking something involving pasta.

got a food processor or a decent sized blender? if you do, try making your own sauce from scratch. its so easy and tastes way better than anything you get in a jar from the store. take about 6 or 8 roma tomatoes, a quarter of a sweet onion (i guess you could use any kind of onion if you want) and maybe 5 or 6 whole cloves of garlic, put that on a cookie sheet with a bunch of olive oil and sprinkle a bunch of oregano, salt, pepper and whatever else you want and cook it at 350 for like 30 minutes. You can put hot peppers or whatever other vegetables you want with it too. Then just blend it up and youre good. I put some spicy red peppers with mine and then blended a little bit of honey with it after everything cooked and it turned out really good. From there you can basically do anything you want with it.

Falafel wrap

anyone ever tried making falafel? i tried last weekend. first i just used chickpeas, parsley, garlic and onion. tried balling that up and frying it but it basically disintegrated as soon as it hit the oil. i had to add egg and bread crumbs to make them stay together and i finally got some pieces that cooked, but they didnt get very crispy and were no where near what i would consider good.

Jordick

« Reply #2458 on: November 16, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
funny story: kept lurking this thread last night after posting, got really hungry and cooked some egg pappardelle with bruschetta, some white truffle oil, parmesan and butter, paired with a really nice wine and woke up this morning, got in the shower, and puked so much that I clogged my shower. Great way to start the day, and I've been puking ever since. Fun times.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2459 on: November 16, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody have suggestions for what I should cook for dinner tomorrow? I'm thinking something involving pasta.
[close]

got a food processor or a decent sized blender? if you do, try making your own sauce from scratch. its so easy and tastes way better than anything you get in a jar from the store. take about 6 or 8 roma tomatoes, a quarter of a sweet onion (i guess you could use any kind of onion if you want) and maybe 5 or 6 whole cloves of garlic, put that on a cookie sheet with a bunch of olive oil and sprinkle a bunch of oregano, salt, pepper and whatever else you want and cook it at 350 for like 30 minutes. You can put hot peppers or whatever other vegetables you want with it too. Then just blend it up and youre good. I put some spicy red peppers with mine and then blended a little bit of honey with it after everything cooked and it turned out really good. From there you can basically do anything you want with it.

Expand Quote
Falafel wrap
[close]

anyone ever tried making falafel? i tried last weekend. first i just used chickpeas, parsley, garlic and onion. tried balling that up and frying it but it basically disintegrated as soon as it hit the oil. i had to add egg and bread crumbs to make them stay together and i finally got some pieces that cooked, but they didnt get very crispy and were no where near what i would consider good.
Ive never really done it successfully, maybe you need to chill them to make them more solid? thats the only thing I can think of. Ever tried cooking those ingredients up with some cumin lemon juice and a tomato or 2?, seriously one of my fav things to make atm, and mad easy