Author Topic: Your first skateboard  (Read 71700 times)

hakken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Your first skateboard
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »
Very first board: a cheap complete from Zellers with "QUAKE" written on the bottom.  Lied to my grandmother and told her my
mom sad it was ok for me to get it.
First "Pro" Board: Alien Workshop Rob Drydek with Egyptian symbols on it, Indys, Channel One Cat Eyes wheels 41mm and black. Got it for Christmas. Well actually i got a Koston Super Cock board  but my mom was not so cool with the graphic, seeing as i was about 12.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2007, 09:13:38 AM »
my first real board was a peter smolik shorty's with some indys and ghetto child wheels and these god awful halo bearings.
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Nadie

• Rep: 1
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2007, 11:23:43 AM »
My first board was a terrible Mongoose board from Toys 'R' Us. My first "real" deck was a Habitat Kerry Getz Frog deck. It was a 7.5 and it was too small for me, but that was a pretty decent deck.

colin

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
First board was a Variflex Ramp Rat that I got for Christmas.

First real board was a Powell & Peralta Tony Hawk Street with Indy's, Mini Rats wheels, and German Sealed bearings - It was $150, so I paid for part of it, and then the rest was my birthday present from my dad. I loved that board so much I tried to sleep with it the first night I had it:

beeda weeda

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »
Friday June 29th 1996
saved my money from working in the snack bar at a flea market
santa cruz team deck black and yellow, with a spark plug on it
gold grind kings (i was 13)
some bearings..
consolidated 52 ml wheels

JunglePOP

• Rep: 29
  • Art Hellemen where are you?
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:02 PM »
93 or 94 a friend left a shitty variflex "old school" board at my house and i rode aorund on it a lot.

after a friend and i saw gleaming the cube on cable we knew what was up.

we all bought $50 completes from target and followed a baggy jean sporting wearing art hellemen around the neighborhood.

my first real board was an imitation of his set up

New deal - neal hendrix
Ventures
48 mm spitfires
Sorry, sometimes I get overly defensive on that point.

Bender

• Rep: -6
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2007, 03:23:38 PM »
I was riding a borrowed New School deck (with the 8 ball on it) but then my old man hooked it up for my 14th birthday.

Gino Ianucchi 101. It had buildings on it.
Indys
Spitfires

Such a sick setup. I passed it on to my little brother later, he ripped it too.

mbquant

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
Learnt to push/roll-around on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fish-board. Some years later, saw some dudes skating around my town, bought the 1996 Sidewalk Surfer Photo Issue, and then later a second hand Alien Workshop "Vote Pro Clone" off some dude who was a friend of a friend and wanted money to buy weed. No brand trucks, and some old-ass wheels, probably skated down to about a 33mm.

Wow, that was my very first pro deck too. It was also a second-hand board. I had been saving it in my parents' basement for years, but they finally threw it out.

http://www.artofskateboarding.com/Pg/aos_pg_results.asp?cat_search=z&comp_search=59&skate_search=z&artist_search=z&pagesize=15&page=9

LoserMachine

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2012, 06:29:51 AM »
hmmm, birdhouse hubbas and swiss.. dont remember the rest.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »
93 or 94 a friend left a shitty variflex "old school" board at my house and i rode aorund on it a lot.

after a friend and i saw gleaming the cube on cable we knew what was up.

we all bought $50 completes from target and followed a baggy jean sporting wearing art hellemen around the neighborhood.

my first real board was an imitation of his set up

New deal - neal hendrix
Ventures
48 mm spitfires

didnt you have a creature before that even? 

my first board was some nash board borrowed from a friend's older brother, but didnt get serious about learning technical maneuvers until a Josh Beagle Foundation Mr. Men deck.  indys.  some 48mm wheels.
hardly art, hardly starving

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2012, 07:05:01 AM »
Element 8
Destructo trucks
Spitfire 55's
Lucky abec 3's

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2012, 07:24:46 AM »
it was a long long time between my first board and and my first decent board.

The first board i skated was my uncles board that he skated in the 70's. he lived on a farm in the middle of freaking nowhere so he made his board himself out of a plank of wood and using roller skates as trucks. it survived in a shed corner until the mid 90's when i came along and figured out how to tic tac.

the first board i owned i bought from target. it was 1996 but it was still a classic 80's fishtail. it was a $20 piece of shit. i could swear it was an inch thick, had plastic trucks, plastic wheels and bearings that would have rolled better if they were made of rust. it was little more than a toy.

a few months later a friend bought a modern shaped board and i followed suit. so for christmas that year my parents bought me a 'modern' board from a sports store but it was still a piece of shit. it was strange, instead of grip tape the makers of this board had spread glue on the top and sprinkled black sand over it. it still gripped but it was the strangest fucking thing. I learnt tiny ollies on that board and cracked my head good and proper the first time i manned up and tried to land a pop shuvit.

when i finally had some money and bought a proper, decent, well made board from a legit skate shop it was a Time deck (a long dead australian board company), grind king trucks, blank wheels and cheap bearings. i dont know why i chose the board i did because it was an awkward, narrow and very pointy board. but hey it had pop and i could finally get those ollies higher than a curb.  

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
A friend's neighbor had in his garage a PsychoStick with pink grip (standard?), Gullwings, OJ Slimeballs, and an absurdly constructed huge jump ramp that we would either use as a quarterpipe or get towed in on BMX pipes and early grab off of.  Kind of a weird way for a bunch of kids to start skating in 2001, but there ya go. 

Within a few months, the whole skate crew had procured actual set ups of their own, mine was the Element with the four element icons, Venture Lows, Element wheels that I still have and are fully coned, generic everything else.  After riding that all summer I tried a departure with a big, heavy Antihero standard logo, Indys, and 56mm Spitfires and I've never really gone back.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
stone cold steve austin k-mart board,

first real board was a world industries with ventures, can't remember the rest.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
My two little homies had boards first, then one of them got a new one and gave me his hot pink Variflex with Ratfink on the bottom.  I think that was in 86 or 87.  I spent hours pushing around my garage and learning to ollie that thing over this bag of cement.  I rode it for a couple years before I got my first popsicle stick.  I don't remember what kind it was, but I do remember spray-painting it black and then using this silver paint pen to cover it in skulls.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
I cant believe i found a pic of  it.
Santa cruz team deck with a spark plug on it.
52 mil consolidated daredevil wheels
grind kings with gold bsseplates.
i was 13, i didnt know any better.

upload images

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
i wish walmart would rerelease this graphic!

for my first few years of skateboarding i was riding walmart decks with random parts these dudes from a skatepark called wickedgrind gave after skating there for months on walmart setups. I eventually was fed up with having to spend 12$ out of my 20$ allowance to buy a board from walmart everyother only to keep the deck and trash the rest and convinced my parents to get me this (so called unbreakable) libtech deck from the xgames park, the day it opened
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:04:45 AM by TwisT »

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »
first legit one, Foundation whippersnappers.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »
I got Venture trucks and some Think wheels as a present when I was 13 turning 14, and an already-ruined Creature.  Waterlogged, razor tail, the works.  It was still awesome though.  First board I bought after that was a Bill Pepper Element from that Manimal series. 7.5.  Which made sense because I was definitely still under 5 feet tall at that point.  

Did anybody else have a problem with breaking kingpins on their first few boards before they had enough sense to loosen the trucks a little bit?

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
First board was a Toys R Us or Target special that I got after asking for a skateboard for Christmas.  It was a pancake flat fishtail with a cheetah or leopard head on the graphic.  The leopard was roaring to let the world know that I meant business.  It had orange wheels with bearings that made forward momentum seem like a gift from the gods.  It was like the thing was braking on hills.  I thought it was the coolest shit on the planet but in reality it was pretty much junk.  I remember a rich kid friend getting a real setup and everyone was blown away that it was actually fun to push,  rolled fast, and turned.  Unfortunately, the little shit was greedy with it and wouldn't let anybody touch it (including himself) because he didn't want his neon green grip tape getting dirty and he was really smug about having the worlds greatest setup.   Dude probably has a blog dedicated to his Audi/BMW these days.

The first trick that I learned on my aggro leopard board was digging these fat grub worms out of the ground, laying on my board and and watching my wheels roll over them and blast guts all over the place.  It didn't take long for Karma to intervene and one of them blasted shit all over my face and put and end to that one.  Needless to say, it took awhile for me plug into the collective consciousness of skating.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:49:53 AM by Seamus_McShamebag »

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
Did chores around the house until my mom was down to grab a complete. Had a world board with some destructo's and spits. No idea on anything I'm surprised some people can remember so precisely what their entire setup was.
MN -> IL

Max Power

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »
First board was a joe cool, as in snoopy, that I got for my birthday when I was like 6 or something.  The bearings were so terrible you literally couldn't ride unless you were pushing.  Thinking back maybe they had the wheels on too tight.  

A few years later I asked for a real skate board.  My mom correctly didn't think I needed a real board and took me to K-mart and got me a veriflex. I wanted the one with snakes and skulls and stuff but my mom made me get the one with a lion on it.  My friends who had legit powells and santa cruzs clowned me, but the veriflex actually worked alright.  

My first legit board and the one I learned ollies and stuff on was a Scott Conklin Alien Workshop with some weird claymation looking thing on it.  It was a slick.   I don't remember my first trucks or wheels.  It's funny I don't really remember any other early boards just that one.    

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
Element 8
Destructo trucks
Spitfire 55's
Lucky abec 3's

bam graphic from ccs?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
i had a pink plastic bomber first, then this was my first legit deck

sold it to a kid from my school when i needed money to buy the next deck, wish i still had it.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »
I had a shitty target deck first, but my first real board was a used birdhouse tony hawk the one with like the skeleton of a hawk that I believe he rides in this 1. I bought it from my neighbor for like 40 bucks when I was 8.

srsbsnss

• Rep: 10
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
Early 90s Ninja Turtles old school i got when i was a kid.

First actual shop purchased board was
101 three eyed cat deck
venture lows
tiny spitfires

Joe Pesci

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
first board was a dragonball z board from like wal mart

next and first real board was an element with destructos, black 52.5 spitfire charred remains, shitty black panther bearings and for some reason i bought riser pads.

james norwoods

• Rep: 0
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
im pretty sure my first setup was

-an old skatelab board my friend gave me
-all white ventures
-all black spitfires i think they were like 60 mm
-and random bearings from my friends

i think my whole setup was from different friends

Fruitpunch

• Rep: -10
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
World industry complete. skated that for like a year,then got a santa cruz screaming hand deck with thunders and spitfires. Best board ever!

srsbsnss

• Rep: 10
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »

You just reminded me i had this in a spare bedroom. the shape of stereo decks  was awesome