Author Topic: Your first skateboard  (Read 71823 times)

headtowall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: Your first skateboard
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
my avatar

Hauntedfortressofdoom

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »
First board was a Variflex Ramp Rat II.

My first legit board was an Alien Workshop Duane Pitre slick 7.5x31.5 (one of the paper mache guys), 43.5mm Clone wheels, Venture trucks, Qik bearings, shorty’s hardware, and Black Magic grip.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »

I looked everywhere and can't find a photo of the deck, but it was just all black with this Hook-Ups logo. When I went to the skate shop with my Dad, it was between that one and a World Industries, and for Christmas I woke up to the Hook-Ups board. Good call Dad.

Irvine-Sucks.com

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3313
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
My first board was a Variflex Twisted. The trucks were a mess and it turned really hard by itself.

Then I got a JFA. I was probably 11 or 12 by then. I had no idea what JFA was...I just liked the shape of the board and the paisleys in the letters.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

I never looked this up before, kinda surprised I remember enough to find it. I think I was 10
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:01:33 PM by Sick Duck »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »

But in silver.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
Mine was a black and lime green ZERO that said eat me on the back. It was in the same series as the school sucks graphic in pink and black, but I cant find it anywhere.
It got stolen.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
Cab (Ban This) deck
Tracker trucks
SC Slimeballs

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »
My first board was a plastic banana board back in like '75-76. Around '76-77, there was a skatepark built in my hometown. They had a skateboard Little League type competition going on. By that point, I had a G&S Fibreflex with Bennet trucks and Road Rider 4's. Those were the days.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
First used:
 Jinx Mini
Unbranded trucks?
Black Sims wheels? Rock hard

3 years and 4 used boards later,
My first new set up:
Bod Boyle Stained glass Natty
Blue G&S trucks
bullet 66s

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »
I think the first board i got was some weird maui and sons board my mum got me. Second was a weird thrashed blank deck i found sitting next to a trash can. I picked it up, skated home and learnt most my start out tricks on that thing, bless it.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
My first board was a World Industries complete, which I got for Christmas in 2002. I think I still have one of the trucks or wheels in a box somewhere at my parents' house. 

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
first board

first actual board though was a used anti-hero deck with indys and 56mm spitfires that were already yellow. got it for $1 from a kid who told me he stole it just for fun

after the guilt was too hard i traded i forgot what to a kid who gave me a chris pastras stereo deck from when it was dying down the first time. the graphic was a boxing scene
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2018, 03:48:00 AM »
first boards were department store shitfucks, then my neighbour who worked security at a dump dropped off some fuckin beat up pos zero deck with fracture trucks/wheels/bearings. first proper complete was a rollersnakes deck, tensors, fucking 58mm heathen wheels and generic bearings - speaks volumes about how much tensors dont turn considering i was rocking 58mm fucking wheels on tensor lo sliders and didnt get wheelbite.

the next year i got an almost complete that was a cooper wilt double impact, tensor magnesium sliders, whatever wheels and bearings dwindle bundled with it and that was great using it for the first time for approximately 5 minutes until i slipped out 5050ing a curb, it got ran over by a bus and i went home in tears.

after that i watched fully flared for the first time and went out and bought a girl koston deck, some red royal trucks, piss yellow supercrystal rictas and reds. probably the last time i ever bought a full new complete at one time.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2018, 06:49:52 AM »
I had an Ozi deck with cockroach wheels passed down when I was 4
Than a tony hallem variflex complete that's when I got my first 1/4 pipe about 7
When I was 8 I saved up and got a lance mountain mini model with the crest trackers and cockroach wheels or x bones I use to swap them

In my older brothers group of friends u were a kook if u didn't have
Nachi bearings..

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
My first board was a World Industries complete, which I got for Christmas in 2002. I think I still have one of the trucks or wheels in a box somewhere at my parents' house. 

I feel like alot of peoples first boards were world industries haha

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »
On the left is my first board. So stoked I still have it. On the right is Tony’s actual board. He did one of those giveaways on Instagram where he posted the location, and I happened to be working a few blocks away. I ran out of the store I was working in and explained to my manager that I was going to get Tony Hawk’s board hahaha. The 10 year old in me was so hyped. I will never let go of either of these.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
I was 14. It was an 7 6/8 acme deck (with an angry comic book figure on it), red orion trucks, skf bearings, 52mm girl wheels, jessup grip.

Anyone else ever skate an acme board? The wood was really good and they were a bit cheaper than the better known brands. I skated quite a few until they went out of business.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Wish i could remember the exact graphic.
World mini board (what my neighbors told me) flameboy graphic. Wish I still had her sitting around.

Nag Champa

• Rep: -29
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
a used bootleg Gonz vision board

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2018, 05:09:36 AM »
zorlac deck (twin shape, pushead graphic.)
tracker b2 trucks
nicotine wheels 54mm

it was all the discount items at a snowboard shop.

my grandma hooked it up! bmx was 400 and skate was 85. duh.
looking back it was the coolest moment ever.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
A super narrow plastic deck bought for $2.50 from a garage sale in the neighborhood.  I promptly pointed it down the steepest hill we had and ate shit.  Next was a Nash Executioner from Toys R Us.  That was a solid set up. 

Somehow I think if Nash still exists they could come out with some nostalgia/throw back stuff and do okay.  That was so many people's first set up.  Maybe sell it at somewhere like Urban Outfitters. 

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Got an XGames Christmas complete.

Then I saved up and bought this Tony Hawk Birdhouse deck I was hyped on from the original THPS.

Had to drill new holes in the XGames trucks to make 'em fit. Then I got some Ventures for my birthday. No idea how I finally ended up with a legit full setup, but it took some time. My parents weren't eager to spend a bunch of money on it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:49:56 PM by coyote2425 »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2018, 06:04:28 PM »
Than a tony hallem variflex complete that's when I got my first 1/4 pipe about 7
When I was 8 I saved up and got a lance mountain mini model with the crest trackers and cockroach wheels or x bones I use to swap them

Nachi bearings..
hahaha, this post brings back my childhood in a big way. Cockroach wheels were the shit, I found a vintage pair of them in Tokyo once and was contemplating paying $150 for them. I know the Tony Hallem, you're talking about, still burnt into my brain. Do you remember Bonzer skateboards out of Manly? Those things were the bomb!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
My first board was this loaner spondgebob toys r us complete when I was 12 years old. Rolled around that for a week and fell in love. Watched my first skate videos I don’t remember which ones, probably 411vm around 2002. Watching and studying what skating was I noticed how real boards where shaped differently than my board. Mine was flat plank with kicks and I never seen a board with concave before. My parents were kind enough to buy me a $20 X games complete from Target. It actually had concave and I was hyped. I was so into skating that I destroyed that board in a week. They bought me another one and skated that for a while. Bought my first skate video which was Girl Yeah Right. I finally convinced my parents that I really am into skateboarding and wanted to invest into something better. I closest skate shop from me at the time was a Yellow Rat Bastard and they carried all the big brands at the time. I remember looking at Element Bam/ Tosh Element Fiberlam boards, flip Ali bloulala decks, almost sheckler decks. I settled on a Girl Yeah Right  7.5 white background with green letters. Black magic grip tape I have never seen grip so sparkly with a blueish hue. Venture lows and Spitfire Bigheads.
Also got a pair of All white on white Jeremy Wray v4 as my first skate shoe

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:03:31 PM by nosneb »

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2018, 02:22:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Nachi bearings..
[close]
hahaha, this post brings back my childhood in a big way. Cockroach wheels were the shit, I found a vintage pair of them in Tokyo once and was contemplating paying $150 for them. I know the Tony Hallem, you're talking about, still burnt into my brain. Do you remember Bonzer skateboards out of Manly? Those things were the bomb!
yeah I certainly do.. I grew up around there so yeah
150 bucks shit man that's crazy.. I had two older brothers that got into skating a bit but I fucking loved it I was six years younger and if they didn't skate their set ups for a week or two I was taking their shit apart and taking it it. Man when I was about 8 or nine I had about three or 4 different set ups on the go depending on who I thought was cool that day

I rember in year 4 I had these all at once

Black label lucero Indys and micro roaches .. (so cool Gordo our local ripper was sponsored by cockroach and hooked us up when they came out)
World mike v mini with trackers and roaches
vision vex cave with trackers and blue cockroaches
And my middle brother decided to get back into it when he was about 15
He got the cleanest set up Chris miller (with the dog but new shape) w indys and x bones

His interest lasted about two weeks and that fucker was stripped and rebirthed
I pulled it a part and spread the hardware around so he couldn't be bothered to get his complete
I was a good lil brother but anything skate related of my brothers was in my possession in no time

Hey sausage u ever skate Mosman high or middle harbour primary??

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2018, 10:54:27 PM »
150 bucks shit man that's crazy..

Black label lucero Indys and micro roaches .. (so cool Gordo our local ripper was sponsored by cockroach and hooked us up when they came out)
He got the cleanest set up Chris miller (with the dog but new shape) w indys and x bones

that's what you pay for that retro shit, I never actually pulled the trigger on them though!
4 setups when you were that young must have been crazy, I had that mike V board, is the one he just reissued?
I know (of) Gordo too, he made 'plebs' right? He was a fucking rad skater. I think I even fund his youtube channel recently.

I did skate Mosman high, not too frequently but I did have some great sessions there back in the day. North Sydney on the weekends was my absolute fav spot though, for year we'd skate that place and it was an absolute ghost town. Yeah, Chatswood and the city were good but fuck I loved North Sydney!!!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2018, 05:04:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that's what you pay for that retro shit, I never actually pulled the trigger on them though!
4 setups when you were that young must have been crazy, I had that mike V board, is the one he just reissued?
I know (of) Gordo too, he made 'plebs' right? He was a fucking rad skater. I think I even fund his youtube channel recently.

I did skate Mosman high, not too frequently but I did have some great sessions there back in the day. North Sydney on the weekends was my absolute fav spot though, for year we'd skate that place and it was an absolute ghost town. Yeah, Chatswood and the city were good but fuck I loved North Sydney!!!
Was Plebs the video where someone licked a turd and rolled it over in the credits?

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
habitat fred gall charley harper collab, ruckus trucks, spitfire classics. all from 06

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2018, 05:49:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Was Plebs the video where someone licked a turd and rolled it over in the credits?
of course! $20 bucks mate!
Having said that, me and my crew lived on a steady diet of that video.
I think that's Gordo's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCctFGdOwXZ-QheZTkfPO90g
were you a mosman high local?