Author Topic: Your first skateboard  (Read 71696 times)

bothersome

Re: Your first skateboard
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 07:27:17 PM »
around 85, bought a powell peralta cab 2 with ventures and rat bones from a neighbor for 40 bucks.

plateforknifespoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »
dude, my setup was so jacked.  shared it with my younger brother so there was hella strife around learning tricks, but when i got kickflips first and he had nothin but a bag of shuvits the setup carried into my name and he started playing a gang of counterstrike.

i was rocking a blind 'car crash' deck with gullwing (fuck yea gullwing nigga) trucks some blind noose wheels that were around 54s or 56s and i think fkd abec 3s.

bottom line, shit was a slumper.  my scraper bitch, the first 5050 i ever did on that thing was the most liberating feeling in the world.  funny to look back and see how far ive come.

moustache

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
Learnt to push/roll-around on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fish-board. Some years later, saw some dudes skating around my town, bought the 1996 Sidewalk Surfer Photo Issue, and then later a second hand Alien Workshop "Vote Pro Clone" off some dude who was a friend of a friend and wanted money to buy weed. No brand trucks, and some old-ass wheels, probably skated down to about a 33mm.

The sad thing is, all my set-ups for the year following would be much worse.

Um, Girl Rudy Johnson, Krux, and Green Birdhouse wheels anyone?! My first full pro set-up, was a pretty random mix...

First board was a gem though.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 08:57:09 PM »
I had a hand me down workshop I got from my cousin, but when it comes to my first bought, I am man enough to admit I had a world industries, the one with the devil man original symbol thing except it was all chrome, grind kings and ed templeton spit fires. Kids are dumb.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 09:33:57 PM »
enjoi louie barletta, used tensors, used blue spitfires, reds
it was the one with a doodle of an elephant, i still have half of it in my room.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Old Knees

• Rep: -20
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2007, 10:07:48 PM »
first board was a black white and red piece of junk from kmart that had plastic red trucks. got it for xmas in...shit....1984? loooooong time ago
BOPSET

Dirk Wiggler

• Rep: 3
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »
My first board was a Valterra King Cobra. I used to go down hills screaming "King Cobraaaaa" on that bad boy. Shit was rad. I was six.

I got my first real board in 1989. It was a:

SMA Natas Blacktop
Gullwing Pheonixs
72 mm Yellow G-Bones
Risers, Rails and a Tail Bone

It looked like a monster truck. But you could fit four fingers under the tail, which was all that mattered if you wanted to ollie like Natas.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »
world industries TNT II deck
black and blue fury trucks
56mm ghetto child wheels
speed metal mike V signature bearings
shop hardware/grip

kastel bertino shoes

man, i sucked......

the j

• Rep: -16
  • you know how i do
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 10:39:24 PM »
i found one in front of my house one day and just started skating it was some wal-mart shit but still it was free

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
love these type of threads

i used to bmx as a kid and the main bmx mag in the uk started to run skating around 85 so a friend and i got some crappy 70s plastic boards and then in 86 some cheap brank 10x30 completes. my first pro board was a brand-x dave crabb with thunders and schmitt stix street saws

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »
i remember my dad suprised me by brining a shop complete home from work one day. i took little notice of it and left it out front. it was stolen.

then the next christmas i got a world industries deck with blue speed demons and silver royals.

my dad had also built me a quarterpipe for christmas so when he asked me to go get the newspaper i was astonished to find a 4 foot high quarterpipe in my driveway. the rest of the day was devoted to learning kickturns and riding up the ramp as high as possible to fakie.

at the time that qp seemed so big. i wish i still had it

the General

• Rep: 0
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2007, 01:37:21 AM »
The first board I had was a really shitty beat up blank, stripped everything hunk of junk that my friend gave to me. I used to practise ollies on flat at the side of the highway when i was hitchiking. Eventually there just became a posse of us and when I had enough money to buy a new one, my very first brand new skateboard, it was an Element Bill pepper baseball series and some Thunders.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2007, 01:55:37 AM »
i got a board as a birthday present when i was maybe 9 or something, i believe the brand was called hawaii. i didn't really start skating back then, though. i got my first 'real' board a few years later as a christmas present in 96, it was atm click board with trackers and some random wheels.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

H8R

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
the very first board i had was a blue plastic board with red wheels.  it was super generic but my cousin gave it to me when i was like 7 or 8(maybe 83?).  i rode it for 2 days before i slipped out and it flew into traffic.  then i got a valterra board with a dragon graphic on it from toys-r-us.  i think it was shortly after seeing back to the future.  when i killed that one, i skated my neighbors variflex until i finally got my first real set up which was a lance mountain, gullwing trucks, german bearings and a set of OJII's.   

movement

• Rep: 2
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2007, 02:40:07 PM »
First Board- Nash Ninja Board, later upgraded it with some shitty slipped Trackers.

First real setup

ATM Click team board -  CCS sadly
Krux trucks - I bought off a metal head that lived down the street
42mm powell wheels, used hardware and fkd bearings - kicked down from my bros that got me started

yeah dude!

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2007, 03:56:41 PM »
Tommy Gurrero when I was 7. Got it for Christmas. I just wanted one cause my older brother skated.

My first board when I really started skating was a Real.
49mm Stereo wheels (and I got made fun of the whole time I had them cause they were so "big")
Indys

Most stoked 12 year of on the block.

kevbo999

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »
When I was 15 I bought a Dukes board off my friend's sister, because every time I went over I wanted to skate it.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »
This Dave young guy down the road in my suburb sold me some whale-tailed Santa Cruz deck. The graphic was all shredded off and the tail was already razor'd. I remember putting, upon his recommendation, some kind of rivets in the tail to make it last longer. It came with Powell Roller Bones (the one-sided ones) and some plastic-baseplated Tracker Ultra-Lites, GMB bearings, and the grip was stripped so I added a fresh sheet, which helped me to learn ollies in my garage while it was still snowing out.

Dave Young was kind of a Pat Brennan clone. He dressed straight out of Powell Video Eight. He also had one of those Old Ghosts, "I like chicks with big tits" shirts. Lots  of long-sleeved Ts with shorts. When he sold me my setup he still had a fresh one from the year before—the Frankie Hill bulldog model, with G&S trucks (with the cylindrical hangars, they were sick!) some Cockroach 56s, and, of course, Bridgebolts.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

steciak67

• Rep: -1
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 05:36:06 PM »
a mini logo deck,bones reds,spitfire wheels,destructo trucks,and who knows what kind of hardware and grip

sergio

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2007, 05:36:28 PM »
holy shit. i kew the first time i posted here. now i dont.

i think it was a batman board from some cheapo store in medellin. china birch, plastic wheels, you know the deal.

first real board. beer city blank, ventures, birdhouse bearings, atm wheels. i use to love that board. then i threw it into the long island sound on my first trip to the states.

Juicy

• Rep: 0
  • Yeah!
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »
Took a trip to San Diego to visit some relatives, drove past the Ocean Beach skatepark, and was instantly amazed. When I got back home, I just went to the local "X-streme Sports" store, bought a mini logo, I was like 10.

j0rdan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
I bought a completely mashed World industries board for $5 off some kid back in grade 8, my friend stole a skateboard from a movie theater so he sold me the monster trucks and wheels for $10, he bought a gram and smoked it with me. aaah, memories...

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »
variflex back in the day... like fourth grade.  it had fishies on it. purchased at sport chalet
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
the first board i ever rode was the rock that danny way beat that gay guy to death with

it was pretty good
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

braeley_skate

• Rep: -8
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:02 PM »
besides the zellers board, it was a super skinny ass toy machine wish thunders and flip slims

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 01:28:25 AM »
First real setup and the only new complete I ever bought, cca. September 1994:

Madrid waxwood deck

Some strange trucks called the Avengers or something, the compulsive liar who worked at the shop said they were Santa Cruz trucks (this same guy told me they just received the freshest H-street boards.....in 1996.)

Fun crew 42 mm wheels

Got the money from my parents, they were probably stoked I was into something besides video games.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 01:36:17 AM »
flip andy scott
trackers
blank 58mm
and some quikies

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
bored one day, me and my buddy who lived across the street found a nash in his basement and started pushing it around on the street or whatever. we shared that until the plastic trucks broke. i saved for a bit and begged for my parents to lend me the last bit of money for a complete and got a world board with grindkings(duh, theyre the lightest, therefore best), proabably world colored wheels and generic everything else.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2007, 08:09:57 AM »
Did I answer already? Or was this a previous thread here?
Pink Splash Veriflex from Target or somewhere.
First board from a shop:
Purple JFA with paisley graphics, blue Ventures, Blue Sims wheels. X-mas present. Had it for years. Don't remember what board I learned to ollie on, but that's when I consider my skating begining.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2007, 08:30:07 AM »
i started late in the game at 16 and my first board was a neighborhood with b-52's and these really shitty wheels called 'ghosts' i don't even think they were urethane. it's still in the garage at my cousins house.