Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 12491 times)

keepthefunkalive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
Re: Gardening
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2022, 03:56:00 PM »
i made a test bog. this is to make sure i don't kill everything with my soil mix and water before going ham and making like a 10x15 ft version of this.

it's got in there so far:
cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
red pitcher plant (Sarracenia rubra)
purple pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea)
golden colicroot (Aletris aurea)
coastal plain tickseed (Coreopsis gladiata)
savanna rattlesnake master (Eryngium synchaetum)

i'm also trying to grow some rare species from seed, including Echinacea laevigata, Eurybia spectabilis, Parthenium auriculatum, Liatris squarrulosa, and Stachys matthewsii... but i have no idea what i'm doing here to be honest and i'm probably gonna get like 0% germination on any of them. oh and betaphenyl is gonna send me some seed to uh, propagate.

Dope! Bogs are some of my favorite places to go look for orchids... but I wouldn't recommend trying to grow them. You might need to cold stratify the seeds to get them to germinate if you haven't looked into it. A lot of plants have a fail safe mechanism in their seeds so that they won't germinate until the timing is right... usually in the spring. So they need to go through a cold-moist period like the winter before they sprout. I know all the Liatris I've grown do for sure. I just put them in a ziplock with a damp paper towel, and put them in the freezer for either 30 or 60 days (can't remember what they required). I'm growing L. spicata and L. cylindracea currently. Love that genus

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1338
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2022, 05:18:27 PM »
well, haven't put much time in this spring but it's going along since we planted last year. Garlics were monsters and did really well. still have a handful to pull. Echinacea is doing well although slugs/snails take a bite here and there. Calendula... idk what happened. she's dead all of a sudden. California poppies are looking great and spread like crazy. Lemon Balm is a monster 3 plants. Elderberry is rocking. Same with native blackberries.

This lady with a succulent/rock garden for a front yard put 100s of native succulents out front for free, along with pots. So I scooped at least 50 of em and we're going to mess with those this year. Really wish I had propagated the various papaver sominferum strains I've got last fall because they'd do incredibly well in with the type of soil we've got going here. Next year... what else... I've got a few fallow beds right now that are covered in hay to keep the feral cats from pooping in there and my pup from eating their poop. I think they'll be flower beds. Maybe I'll throw a few ganja stalks in there as they get at max 16 hours sunlight in that spot.

I've got to post pics I guess. I ended up making flower beds out of used car tires when I ran out of salvaged wood. I like em.

I've also got what should be excellent compost built up between the pit I dug 2 years ago and the worm bucket I've been keeping the past 5 months. Saving that for the dank plants =)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2022, 05:52:29 PM »
Man, I need some real help with this, I don’t know what the hell I’m doing

I bought a small home a little over a year ago, with some real minimal landscaping out front, but everything is dying and full of weeds and I don’t know where to start.  I’m in school full time and I hardly have time to sleep, much less garden, but it’s really looking like shit over here. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2022, 06:21:17 PM »

I bought a small home a little over a year ago, with some real minimal landscaping out front, but everything is dying and full of weeds and I don’t know where to start.  I’m in school full time and I hardly have time to sleep, much less garden, but it’s really looking like shit over here. 

Set a timer for 10 minutes and work in your garden, pull weeds, prune, rake (aerate/compost) or water. You can't do them all but you can do one.

Try to do 10 minutes everyday to catch up then you can move it to every other or so days with a good half hour to an hour of work on the weekend

Know your grow zone (your spot on the planet. Google your zip code grow zone). Know what side of your property your plants are on, the south side of your house the north? the east or west?

10 minutes is all you need

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2022, 06:31:24 PM »

Pretend you’re yard is a skate park. You want to have features around the perimeter and by the house. In between some boxes and paths. What I am saying is before you plant you need to establish a structure.

Reuse materials on your property. Don’t be afraid to rip out plants if you don’t like where they are placed. Buy stones, dirt or mulch in bulk.

Go to garage sales are look for interesting items you can put outdoors.

The last thing to worry about are the plants. Just get rid of all the weeds are create areas with seating also. You will start to see it take form.

I’ll send some pictures tomorrow if I remember. I’ve leaved at my current home for 10 years so we’ve had time to really make some interesting stuff.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2022, 07:07:59 PM »
These are good suggestions and they’re gonna be a big help. 

My school schedule is so busy, and I’m basically studying every minute I’m not in class.  I made a point this last weekend to take a 10 minute break every couple hours to get some fresh air, and I started pulling some weeds, but I didn’t think I was making a dent.  I found myself enjoying it though.  Gonna make a point to keep doing these little garden breaks
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1338
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2022, 07:22:53 PM »

My school schedule is so busy, and I’m basically studying every minute I’m not in class.  I made a point this last weekend to take a 10 minute break every couple hours to get some fresh air, and I started pulling some weeds, but I didn’t think I was making a dent.  I found myself enjoying it though.  Gonna make a point to keep doing these little garden breaks

I was in school full time last year/this spring, hence my land space on this rental kind of going to shit. no joke, it's a lot of work. when I hadn't been in school, I had no problem throwing boxes together, digging holes, salvaging shit to build with etc. It will get done.

like @GardenSkater77 sez, reuse stuff from the property. Craigslist/FB marketplace is full of free shit that can be used to make your space better. I mean if you want it to look cookie cutter better homes and gardens, you're probably SOL, but if you can get creative in your spare time, you can make a unique space. Some municipalities have free dirt pickups, mulch, etc. look into that. cardboard kills weeds. Go to a bike shop and get a few bike boxes, open em up, and lay em down where the worst of the weeds are. After a month or so, the weeds will be something close to cooked.

All the while you're in school, just realize that it's worth it and the yard ain't going anywhere =)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »

Yeah as mentioned a little bit at a time. You don't need to be growing all of your own food or have some immaculate flower arrangements. It all started for me by growing some cherry tomato plants in a 5 gallon bucket on my old apt balcony. As far as weeds go. You can take a couple hours to weedwack that shit, and throw wood chips on it. You can get literally a ton of wood chips for dirt cheap or free from local tree trimming companies if you make a couple calls.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2022, 09:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was in school full time last year/this spring, hence my land space on this rental kind of going to shit. no joke, it's a lot of work. when I hadn't been in school, I had no problem throwing boxes together, digging holes, salvaging shit to build with etc. It will get done.

like @GardenSkater77 sez, reuse stuff from the property. Craigslist/FB marketplace is full of free shit that can be used to make your space better. I mean if you want it to look cookie cutter better homes and gardens, you're probably SOL, but if you can get creative in your spare time, you can make a unique space. Some municipalities have free dirt pickups, mulch, etc. look into that. cardboard kills weeds. Go to a bike shop and get a few bike boxes, open em up, and lay em down where the worst of the weeds are. After a month or so, the weeds will be something close to cooked.

All the while you're in school, just realize that it's worth it and the yard ain't going anywhere =)

So I have been experimenting with cardboard for weed control and I would strongly suggest that anyone doing this use multiple layers of cardboard. My single-layer did next to nothing, everything is poking out of the cardboard - just went right through it. Where I laid down 2-4 layers of cardboard, stuff is slowly dying out.

But yes, get bike boxes - they're massive and most bike shops are burdened with their presence. Make sure you remove all the plastic from the box, and this includes the labels (which are often thermoprinted with BPA).
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2022, 12:37:45 PM »
Here is my wife’s garden in the front. I did the hard scrape and she did the landscape. Also, she hand built the trellis.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2022, 11:25:27 PM »
Awesome, I have some crazy shit going on at the moment. In a nutshell: I bought a property last year and the yard is bigger than the house itself. We started attempting permaculture and have recently harvested some strawberries, collared greens and beets. The process is a bit more epic than that though so I’ll give a more detailed overview when I’ve got some more time…
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:59:26 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 631
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2022, 06:39:31 AM »
Here is my wife’s garden in the front. I did the hard scrape and she did the landscape. Also, she hand built the trellis.

This is sick, I love the DIY feel to it as opposed to a bunch of cookie cutter store bought features.

Get hungry on it!

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2022, 08:00:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This is sick, I love the DIY feel to it as opposed to a bunch of cookie cutter store bought features.

Appreciate the kind words. There is no master plan. She just keeps adding interesting things. It’s definitely a zen garden.

somefucker

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2022, 08:07:03 AM »
moving soon, i have to uproot some pepper plants from a planter that are just starting to flower/produce fruit.

whats the best way to transport these bad boys without shocking the roots/plant itself?

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »
damn you guys got me all inspired and shit. We just moved on to an acre along a river. Pretty overwhelmed with the amount of work that needs to be put into the grounds. This place was once a very sick organic garden but the previous owners let it go to shit for about 10 years.

I'm battling oriental bittersweet, sumac trees, garlic mustard, and stinging nettles to reclaim ground and protect the plants that haven't been overtaken yet. Also got a groundhog chompin on all the herbs and digging holes. I honestly don't know if we'll have time to do any significant planting this year but really looking forward to getting everything cleaned up.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2022, 09:52:35 AM »
Some progress pics about a month and a half after planting.

All my pepper plants

Cucumbers plants are growing fast. 
Didn't get a good pic of my tomatoes but they're starting to fruit.

Get hungry on it!

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1441
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »
My mantis eggs hatched today. I'm super stoked that i have hundreds of little murderers roaming my garden now because something has been wrecking my stuff

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2022, 01:02:42 PM »
I’m still trying to mitigate the insane amount of deer in my neighborhood. Developers have driven out so many out of their habitats and many of my neighbors feed them, too. I enjoy their company, but they have made it a nightmare to grow anything outside of container gardening.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
My mantis eggs hatched today. I'm super stoked that i have hundreds of little murderers roaming my garden now because something has been wrecking my stuff
I've got chipmunks that like to dig in mine, they don't mess with the plants themselves but they dig holes close enough to them that they mess up the root system, shit is annoying.  Mantis' would be fun to have around, I'm always stoked when I come across one because it's not very often.

Get hungry on it!

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2024, 08:04:58 AM »
Spring is upon us so I thought to revive this thread. Moved house in November and have a sizeable yard now. I did a winter garden with some cabbage, broccoli and bruxelles sprouts, but it was too late in the season. With the frost gone I've begun prepping this year's garden in earnest. Been tilling a bunch and growing tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini as well as some flowers from seed. Lavender, sage, parsley, thyme ], strawberry and mint in the borders. Also got a hand mower but now I wish I went for a scythe. I shied away from it in the end.

Anyone else giddy for the new growing season? 

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 33
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2024, 08:18:11 AM »
Spring is upon us so I thought to revive this thread. Moved house in November and have a sizeable yard now. I did a winter garden with some cabbage, broccoli and bruxelles sprouts, but it was too late in the season. With the frost gone I've begun prepping this year's garden in earnest. Been tilling a bunch and growing tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini as well as some flowers from seed. Lavender, sage, parsley, thyme ], strawberry and mint in the borders. Also got a hand mower but now I wish I went for a scythe. I shied away from it in the end.

This is rad.
Good to see I'm not the only one who covers a scythe and a high-crown straw hat.
It seems like spring has come but I'm nervous to plant anything. Usually in the midwest it's more like May before you can count on it not freezing.
I want to plant a big chunk of my yard in native plants and wildflowers instead of lawn. Lowest maintenance possible, with maybe some butterfly/bird habitat.
I'm new at this though. Ideas?

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2024, 09:27:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is rad.
Good to see I'm not the only one who covers a scythe and a high-crown straw hat.
It seems like spring has come but I'm nervous to plant anything. Usually in the midwest it's more like May before you can count on it not freezing.
I want to plant a big chunk of my yard in native plants and wildflowers instead of lawn. Lowest maintenance possible, with maybe some butterfly/bird habitat.
I'm new at this though. Ideas?

I'm pretty new to it myself, but if you check your growing zone you can find what to do. I got a calendar that guides me through the year, pretty neat! You could consider growing some things indoors, so by May you'll hit the ground running. Actually I planted wildflowers and grasses in part of the yard, too, where the previous tenants had put astro turf. Trying to draw in as many pollinators as possible, plus it should look cool. Any tips on getting into scything welcome!