Author Topic: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On  (Read 709445 times)

VictoriousOG

Re: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On
« Reply #2370 on: August 19, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
The manager and friend of my local shop were talking to me about giving them a resume to work in the shop. I also talked about it with the owners wife who does all of the hiring. I'd love to work there but there are some cons to it:
-50 min drive
-$1.25 pay cut
-Working all day with no 30 min breaks
-Its far from my home and school
-I probably wouldn't have a car to use everyday
Pros:
-I love skateboarding,and its just an awesome opportunity
-Meet new people in the local skate scene
-Occasional free product from reps
-Industry news
-Employee discount
-Guapo Warehouse (tf)
-Exclusive parties/demos/signings

I'm 50/50 on this one.

Stoop Kid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #2371 on: August 19, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
The manager and friend of my local shop were talking to me about giving them a resume to work in the shop. I also talked about it with the owners wife who does all of the hiring. I'd love to work there but there are some cons to it:
-50 min drive
-$1.25 pay cut
Pros:
-Industry news
-Employee discount
-Guapo Warehouse (tf)

I'm 50/50 on this one.

Go for it.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2372 on: August 19, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
-50 min drive
-$1.25 pay cut
Pros:
-Industry news
-Employee discount
-Guapo Warehouse (tf)
I'm 50/50 on this one.
If you don't have a reliable transportation I would pass. Working at a shop is a dream to me too, but not having a car will create problems. But make the best decision for yourself.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #2373 on: August 19, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
Quote from: Switch Mongo ? link=topic=15737.msg1509874#msg1509874 date=1313641407
College

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2374 on: August 19, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Either way, please take Heath down from you sig.  BTW, you won't take the job.  True story.  You borey, you be porey, you commute whorey, your life will  be soory.  I may apologize for this tomorrow, free beer and all.  Or I won't remember or care.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2375 on: August 19, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
Either way, please take Heath down from you sig.  BTW, you won't take the job.  True story.  You borey, you be porey, you commute whorey, your life will  be soory.  I may apologize for this tomorrow, free beer and all.  Or I won't remember or care.
Sorry, but my dick is chill with the Heath sig.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2376 on: August 20, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »
For anyone that remembers that longboard art contest I entered and didn't place in (again, HUGE thanks to the Pals for helping me out with votes and support, ah luh yoo  :-*)... well, turns out that it wasn't good enough to win, but someone over there at either Adrenalina or Scion liked it enough that they asked me and one other non-winner for our full res PSD and/or vector files (non graphics folks: they were asking for the working files from Photoshop in their full resolution- that would only be asked if they were going to manufacture the boards).

The email had been sent to the three winners, me, and the other cat ("Mike"). Looking at one of the winning decks, you can tell that it wasn't done to spec (41x9", 300dpi) and since the designer prominently used a lens flare I doubt they even know what that means. Rather than bump the ugly old contest thread, I figured I'd put the email exchange from yesterday in here:

Quote from: Adrenalina to the three winners, and to me and Mike (names/real names omitted)
Hello Guys,

We really appreciate the design effort you guys made with the Scion/Adrenalina Art Contest, and congratulations to our winners.  The reason for this communication is that Adrenalina has begun the testing phase of production in order to select the proper style of board to press.  Please send us your vectorized file (.eps, .ai, .psd) so that we can begin to place it on the decks that we will launch for the promotion. Please make sure that the sizing is 41? X 9?

Thanks again,
Sincerely,

Quote from: Me to everyone
Is this directed to the winners?

Cheers,
-Neal

Quote from: Adrenalina directly to me
To the winners, and to you, they really liked your art work and would like to feature you if possible even though you did not win.

Quote from: Mike, directly to me right after the above
I am wondering the same thing. Do they need all of our files? Or just the winners?

Quote from: Me to everyone (copying Adrenalina's text)
Right on, but they want the print-ready versions from non winners? That has me confused.

Thanks!

-Neal

>>To the winners, and to you, they really liked your art work and would like to feature you if possible even though you did not win.<<

Quote from: Adrenalina to everyone
From the winners, yours and Mike.

Quote from: Me to everyone
Is it going on a board?

Quote from: Me to everyone again
...what I'm getting at is I don't understand the context as to why the full resolution PSD files are needed from non winners unless they're being used. A large part of what I do for a living is based around creating graphics, so it's just a little alarming to be asked for the full res file. I mean, I'd be more than happy to sell it if it's for commercial use, but I really need clarity before I'm willing to let go of it.

Sorry for the back-to-back emailing.

Cheers!

Quote from: Me to Mike directly
Hey man, look... I'm not giving my stuff away for free if they're going to use it for promos.We worked hard, and I'm guessing that at least one of the entries wasn't done to spec (I don't think the one with lens flare was made at 300 dpi).

Anyway, if you haven't already, I'd suggest getting paid for your work before just giving anything over. If they like our stuff that much than we should be getting something in return.

Just my opinion, but like I said earlier, part of what I do for a living is make graphics, if they really like the art, then Toyota/Scion ought to be willing to pay us for it, especially if the graphics are going to be given away (on a deck) with the purchase of a new Scion (as I've heard).

Your work is worth more than FREE... don't let anyone bullshit you.

Cheers,

Sorry if it's a tedious read, but I'm stoked that the art was liked, but not stoked at this bullshit.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2377 on: August 22, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
Have a week off from school, but this coming term I have my capstone project.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #2378 on: August 22, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
Stoked on nice weather, not stoked on being hurt both me and my girlfriend from the car accident, so we cant do shit, just sit at home and watch movies.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #2379 on: August 22, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
I get internet in my backyard because someone has an unsecured network. But I get scared sometimes a snake is gonna pop out and I saw a cat lurking and I feel like it's gonna jump on my neck and give me rabies or some shit.

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #2380 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
-50 min drive
-$1.25 pay cut
Pros:
-Industry news
-Employee discount
-Guapo Warehouse (tf)

I'm 50/50 on this one.

Resume? For a skateshop?

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2381 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
starting uni next month - stoked to be living in central london, having such a big change, and to be studying what I want

but really don't feel ready yet, would love a year out to do things, travel, have a break from academic stuff...

fucking uk fee increase means that if I took a year out it would cost me an extra ?18,000 - such bullshit

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2382 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote
-50 min drive
-$1.25 pay cut
Pros:
-Industry news
-Employee discount
-Guapo Warehouse (tf)

I'm 50/50 on this one.
[close]

Resume? For a skateshop?

yeah, what the fuck kind of skateshop is this?  I've never been to a legit shop that doesn't just have the homeys workin there.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2383 on: August 23, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
My friend/coworker's son is in the process of gettin born. Subsequently I had to reschedule my date tonight with this hottie to cover his shift so he could be at the hospital with his lady.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Doctor Handsome

• Rep: 4
  • Doctor Handsome
« Reply #2384 on: August 23, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Got two free 24 packs of beer on Saturday night. It's almost all gone.
I'm drunk.

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #2385 on: August 24, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
Im not stoked on how much I work, but Im stoked on the pay and being able to still skate at night.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2386 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
Finally severed the cord between the old lady and me.

But it had to happen, I couldn't take it anymore. I feel this level of aloneness but its accompanied by an independence and anticipation which in turn...

But now i ask you slap? What is the next step outside of heavy masturbatory sessions and bong loads?

(bantam are you going to move this to help section?)
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Skatebot

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2387 on: August 25, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Your mom.

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #2388 on: August 25, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
the skateboard industry. and my love/ hate for it

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #2389 on: August 25, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
Netflix is down. Watched Doctor Who all day. I guess I'll hobble around on my crutches. Get some milk. Wait for netflix to work. I used to hate Doctor Who. I've been obsessed for a couple days now. At least it's one more thing to throw time away since they pushed back my pin/ cast removal two weeks. The only stoked on part is enjoying Doctor Who and this milk. I love milk.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #2390 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »

WHY COULDN"T THIS BE SUEDE. Potential life-shoe right there.

I finally got a job but it's on-call with no guarantee of hours. I'm trying to work at at least three of the same type of companies for on-call to have a sweet schedule of "when I damn well feel like it." But will probably turn into "for the love of god I'm starving let me work."

morbidly obese tortoise

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2391 on: August 27, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
My sister told me that I should feel guilty for wasting my parents' money because I smoke a shitload of weed and have a shitload of free time. Then, she tried to get me to apply for a campus job...then for research positions at undergraduate labs. I don't remember the rest, but I got bitched at. I don't want her ever saying shit to me, so I'm just keeping all of my stuff at a friend's house. I regret having to share an apartment with her, but I think I'll have my shit together better than before. All my studying will be done at the library and all my illegal shit shall be done at friends' houses/apartments. I'll also get a job at some place like Qdoba so I can be a bit more self dependent or at least not use my parents' money on weed. I completely agree with her but she's still a bitch. She bought weed off one of my friends a couple years ago, but later told my parents that I should be careful about chilling with him because he "looks shady and probably does drugs."

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #2392 on: August 27, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »
i know how bad it sucks to always have someone on your case, but she probably just cares about you and wants you to do well. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Doctor Handsome

• Rep: 4
  • Doctor Handsome
« Reply #2393 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
My sister told me that I should feel guilty for wasting my parents' money because I smoke a shitload of weed and have a shitload of free time. Then, she tried to get me to apply for a campus job...then for research positions at undergraduate labs. I don't remember the rest, but I got bitched at. I don't want her ever saying shit to me, so I'm just keeping all of my stuff at a friend's house. I regret having to share an apartment with her, but I think I'll have my shit together better than before. All my studying will be done at the library and all my illegal shit shall be done at friends' houses/apartments. I'll also get a job at some place like Qdoba so I can be a bit more self dependent or at least not use my parents' money on weed. I completely agree with her but she's still a bitch. She bought weed off one of my friends a couple years ago, but later told my parents that I should be careful about chilling with him because he "looks shady and probably does drugs."

Wait, your sister cares about the choices you make and is trying to help you out? What a fucking bitch!
I'm drunk.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #2394 on: August 27, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait, your sister cares about the choices you make and is trying to help you out? What a fucking bitch!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2395 on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We should probably see a photo of her.  It would help your slap friends better judge where she is coming from.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #2396 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
My roommate of bout 2 years moved out. He was a great guy for the most part, a few here and there things but he was a super dope one. Im hyped for him, him and his girlfriend just found out they are expecting and they found a decent house for a great price. Bummed hes moving out, hyped hes got a good thing going for him.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

Blumpkinz

• Rep: -46
  • I only post when drunk
« Reply #2397 on: August 27, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »

So you basically just called your self out on free loading on your parents?  Damn dude, you have it rough. Glad your stoked though.  I was worried for a second you wouldnt be.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2398 on: August 28, 2011, 02:54:45 PM »
been going from one fail to another all summer long. i never really had it bad in my life, but i'm setting my lowest point in life records every hour right now.

« Reply #2399 on: August 28, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
only way is up now