Author Topic: Guy Mariano  (Read 23064 times)

Guile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Guy Mariano
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:09 PM »
matt beach did it on a rail.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Bruce Wayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 08:14:37 PM »
nice...

in Houston no less.
sometimes the "things" and "friends" you enjoy the most, will hurt you the most, and play an ultimate factor in how you leave this earth.
-sheffledge
half of you probably cant even tre.

Gest

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »
ronson has done this on a rail

Wykydtron

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 08:17:07 PM »
mariano is sick... ....not a big fan of the combo grinds, but i haven't seen nose to crook before and thats a pretty gnar rail

marty.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 08:19:14 PM »

oh shit, i forgot about that. that was pretty rad, and on a rail with a kink in the middle, no less. matt beach was so good, i still have the poster of the switch kickflip shifty off a bump that came with the transworld with his interview in it

still, if im remembering right, that was kinda a fat square rail situation. doing it on a round rail is a whole different thing
8)

jonny

• Rep: 0
  • Mariano - Switch Backside Tail
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »
hell yeh finally some houston coverage
:]
What are you lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what'll that make you? Good? You're not good.

defiantnate

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »

floridaishot

• Rep: -5
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »
austen seholm trick.

defiantnate

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2007, 08:53:38 PM »
Not anymore it's not...

hargo

• Rep: -50
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »
It's great to see some early 90's tricks done big and with a little style. The problem with that era wasn't the technical tricks, but the fact we were doing them at 2 miles an hour dressed like clowns.

That right there could be more future than past.

Then again, my reaction would be completely different if that were Tyrone Olson.

im really tired of reading bullshit like this. when did guy mariano ever do some "early 90s tricks" without style? the problem with every era is that crappy people are in videos, the 90s had some of the best skating there was. everything was being discovered then. you can diss it now because you are living on its coattails, but most little kids out now do not contribute style or originality to skateboarding in any of the ways these guys did. just watch questionable, trilogy, 20 shot sequence, and any h street video before lick and you will see an intensity and creativity in skateboarding that we have yet to see again. start thinking before you diss the 90s because chris fissel and the new deal crew did not represent the best of what was actually going on and most of the shit out now is garbage.
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

bothersome

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »
I wouldn't be as harsh to use the word garbage, but uninspired is more along the lines.
A lot of stuff has been done and people kinda forget and then someone does something and it's new again.
The stuff Kareem,Gino,Dill,Creager,Daewon,Shiloh and others were doing was mind blowing based on what your average pro was doing.
They were breaking new ground daily and it was miles ahead of the rest of the pack, not to mention it looked amazing in comparison.

SR Junky

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 10:03:40 PM »
Expand Quote
It's great to see some early 90's tricks done big and with a little style. The problem with that era wasn't the technical tricks, but the fact we were doing them at 2 miles an hour dressed like clowns.

Then again, my reaction would be completely different if that were Tyrone Olson.

[close]

im really tired of reading bullshit like this. when did guy mariano ever do some "early 90s tricks" without style? the problem with every era is that crappy people are in videos, the 90s had some of the best skating there was. everything was being discovered then. you can diss it now because you are living on its coattails, but most little kids out now do not contribute style or originality to skateboarding in any of the ways these guys did. just watch questionable, trilogy, 20 shot sequence, and any h street video before lick and you will see an intensity and creativity in skateboarding that we have yet to see again. start thinking before you diss the 90s because chris fissel and the new deal crew did not represent the best of what was actually going on and most of the shit out now is garbage.

when i read this i can ust imagine some slap pals sitting at a bar and you just standing up instantly with the most serious and disgusted look.  its pretty cool.

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oh shit, i forgot about that. that was pretty rad, and on a rail with a kink in the middle, no less. matt beach was so good, i still have the poster of the switch kickflip shifty off a bump that came with the transworld with his interview in it

still, if im remembering right, that was kinda a fat square rail situation. doing it on a round rail is a whole different thing

yeah, it was a wooden flat rail-thing. Plastic bench nerd had a couple tricks on it too.
"I FEAR NO MAN"

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Mad Max

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 01:32:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

when i read this i can ust imagine some slap pals sitting at a bar and you just standing up instantly with the most serious and disgusted look.  its pretty cool.

ha ha ! Right on!

It looks like Laki have started to ope the flood gates of mariano footage- Video soon.... : 0

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2007, 02:05:45 AM »
So sick - the angle on that nosegrind makes it for me; proper style

a random lurker

• Rep: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007, 03:15:01 AM »
Soooooo, whats so special about that trick?

Silent Bob.

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 03:38:12 AM »
Nothing really aside from the style, creativity and difficulty of what he is doing, aside from that it's very meh!

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 03:45:25 AM »

That was a cement fat square handrail, basically a ledge. Still rad, of course.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

HenryChinaski

• Rep: 28
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 03:55:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

^Truth. Amen man. For the first time I am going to say “I wish I could gnar you.”  :)
"You don't know what I'm all about like killing cops and reading Kerouac."

Lumpy Oatmeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2007, 04:10:27 AM »
Where does Fully Flared officially rank in terms of Most Hyped Videos?  I just can't wait.

in between sorry and dying to live
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

asakusa75

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2007, 04:39:58 AM »
cant wait for the mariano part....going to make this old mans decade.

JahLIVES

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2007, 04:40:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Where does Fully Flared officially rank in terms of Most Hyped Videos?  I just can't wait.
[close]

in between sorry and dying to live

bullshit this video is in its own world

alexx

• Rep: 10
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02:50 AM »
i know calling a skateboarder unique is such a cliche but in mariano's case it's so true, that crooks belongs to him. straight of the 90s style on that.

Insomniac

• Rep: -3
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2007, 05:27:48 AM »
Nope, it's not a good looking trick. Hell, I'd rather watch fakie forward flips.
Besides that, Mariano is the man.

hangup

• Rep: 4
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2007, 05:30:54 AM »
backlipshove whatever criticized the trick and immediately people started to talk shit about him. I´m not saying that I agree with him, but is he stupid because he says what he thinks and not what everyone wants to hear?

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2007, 05:59:58 AM »
has a sequence in the new sidewalk too, on a flat bar halfcabs in to a bluntslide/tailslide transfer and flips out

with all this coverage (three sequences in one month?)...i said it a little while ago and i'll say it again...skater of the year

Silent Bob.

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2007, 06:09:11 AM »
He single-handedly has the power to make me buy magazines or videos (alas not enough of the latter); I'll get the sidewalk just to see that!

I would love Mariano to be made skater of the year - he deserves it just for how highly he is regarded by anyone who knows good skateboarding when they see it

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2007, 06:39:40 AM »
...but the fact we were doing them at 2 miles an hour dressed like clowns...
HAHAHA!!!  I know I looked like that.

Check Koston or Ocean in Next Generation circa 91'.  There was definitely some good stuff in the 90's before the clown era. 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Th9UCl53EgY

*If York was still on Chocolate they might have kicked him off after seeing Guy's sequence.

--Vibetek--

• Rep: 7
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »
I think early 90's ledge skating still has a lot to offer. Imagine if the tricks Guy did on the World ledge in Virtual Reality were done down handrails?

And yes, Noseslide Nosegrind down a handrail has the potential to be ugly in the wrong hands. But it has been left in the right hands.
"Big sky looking down at all the people looking up at the big sky"