Author Topic: Last new trick you learned  (Read 448234 times)

LOU.502

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
Re: Last new trick you learned
« Reply #2520 on: April 18, 2012, 05:25:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Learned switch backside nosegrinds! Learning new grind tricks is easily the most satisfying thing to me. I always feel like I'm kind of limited in that, so when I learn something new it really gets me.
[close]

nice!

same here, i'm always trying to think of new ledge tricks to do. i've figured out smith kickflips. starting flipping hardflips out of them, too, but they're just fucked to stay over. fs flip out may be easier.
how do you do those? I always get stick on the ledge trying to get my feet right

im probably lying

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #2521 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Learned switch backside nosegrinds! Learning new grind tricks is easily the most satisfying thing to me. I always feel like I'm kind of limited in that, so when I learn something new it really gets me.
[close]

nice!

same here, i'm always trying to think of new ledge tricks to do. i've figured out smith kickflips. starting flipping hardflips out of them, too, but they're just fucked to stay over. fs flip out may be easier.
[close]
how do you do those? I always get stick on the ledge trying to get my feet right
[close]

have your front foot a little more back than you usually would for a smith. not too far back because it'll just turn into a 5-0 and shoot out. find that right spot and maybe have your foot a little more pointed towards the nose. i just try have my front foot already in that position before getting into the smith. then practice holding the smith with that foot position so your ready for the kickflip. if you're still sticking use some wax and go faster. i can't do them if i go slower than i would for a normal smith. hit it at the same speed as a regular smith, maybe even faster. i think that helps guide the kickflip away from the ledge without too much effort trying to flick the fucker. hope that helps.
Ya dude for sure I'll give it a try at the park today! much obliged

im probably lying

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #2522 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
Texas plants, unfortunately nothing like grosso though.  If only.

myles.

• Rep: 4
    • mylessk8s avatar image
« Reply #2523 on: April 18, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »
bs bigspins

catfish

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2524 on: April 19, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »
my shoes are fucked so i have been learning heelflips and varial heels, varials aren't too hard but heelflips always go fucking sideways on me!

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #2525 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
my shoes are fucked so i have been learning heelflips and varial heels, varials aren't too hard but heelflips always go fucking sideways on me!
Keep your shoulders parallel to your board during the trick. I was a heelfliper when i was a kid now i do both but i prefer flips because i can see the board. I do the heelflips kind of blindly.

FUSE

• Rep: -20
    • Beats avatar image
« Reply #2526 on: April 25, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »
switch bs 5050 on a curb.  a little embarrassed how stoked i got, but that was a breakthrough for my board control.

best trick i got recently was switchflip, by far.  i've been trying those fuckers on and off for like fifteen years, so the first one i rolled away from was seriously a spiritual experience.  landed 6 of them in 2009, 2 in 2010 and none in 2011 cause I was kinda rehabbing.  i'm gonna break myself off this year trying #9 and #10.

anybody have some good tips for switch heel?  if you learned it when you were in your 30's, that might be even more relevant in my case.  cheers.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2527 on: April 25, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I'm finally able to do 3 shuvs, not consistently though.

BuddyPal

« Reply #2528 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
got my dylan rieder on by learning impossibles, now i just need cool hair, button down shirt, and a face sculpted by the gods

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #2529 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »
Backside bonelesses. I could do them for awhile already to tail or disaster but now I can finally jump back in, and now that's all I want to do. The whole concept of jumping back on to the board took so long for my mind to grasp it's almost embarrassing, especially considering how easy they were as soon as I did it a couple times. Next up, beanplants. Then time for russian bonelesses.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

smellyfart

« Reply #2530 on: April 26, 2012, 07:22:15 AM »
switch bs 5050 on a curb.?  a little embarrassed how stoked i got, but that was a breakthrough for my board control.

best trick i got recently was switchflip, by far.?  i've been trying those fuckers on and off for like fifteen years, so the first one i rolled away from was seriously a spiritual experience.?  landed 6 of them in 2009, 2 in 2010 and none in 2011 cause I was kinda rehabbing.?  i'm gonna break myself off this year trying #9 and #10.

anybody have some good tips for switch heel??  if you learned it when you were in your 30's, that might be even more relevant in my case.?  cheers.
Not sure if its the best tip but its worked pretty well for me. When Im bending my knees down to pop and about to come back up I swing both of my arms up behind me and past my head into the air, and proceed on fliking the heelflip. It should feel like a pretty smooth motion though. Not sure if it works for everyone or if just by swinging my arms I am distracting myself from doing something wrong. Anyways, good luck. Its a fun one.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2531 on: April 26, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
switch back tails. i did a few on boxes recently, but i finally got one on a concrete ledge yesterday. so hyped

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #2532 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
I just learned those too. Except i did them on a bank. The cloest qp's near me are shitty metal ones. And i'll be damned if im gonna learn foot plants on those janky things.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #2533 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
switch bs 5050 on a curb.  a little embarrassed how stoked i got, but that was a breakthrough for my board control.

best trick i got recently was switchflip, by far.  i've been trying those fuckers on and off for like fifteen years, so the first one i rolled away from was seriously a spiritual experience.  landed 6 of them in 2009, 2 in 2010 and none in 2011 cause I was kinda rehabbing.  i'm gonna break myself off this year trying #9 and #10.

anybody have some good tips for switch heel?  if you learned it when you were in your 30's, that might be even more relevant in my case.  cheers.

It sounds stupid, but I try to focus on jumping straight up as soon as I pop the board.  I know a lot of people have trouble keeping their shoulders parallel to the deck (including me) on that trick, so just try to stay centered before anything else.

Of course putting your pop foot on the heel-side pocket of the tail will cause the board to react faster. Just experiment with front foot placement while stationary on flatground and figure out what works best and go for it.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2534 on: May 01, 2012, 04:40:51 AM »
fakie pop shuvs down stuff. always hated going straight fakie/switch down things, feels weird as fuck.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #2535 on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I just learned those too. Except i did them on a bank. The cloest qp's near me are shitty metal ones. And i'll be damned if im gonna learn foot plants on those janky things.
I want to get a nice hop in now rather than a faint hearted step

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #2536 on: May 01, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I want to get a nice hop in now rather than a faint hearted step
foot plants are so dope when done properly. i love dorking around with them.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

FUSE

• Rep: -20
    • Beats avatar image
« Reply #2537 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
appreciate the feedback josh and strike.  i tried the arms back thing but it wasn't working out.  i can see how that could get you to time it right though.  i'm definitely jumping the gun; need to wait a little longer before i flick i think.

the heel pocket for the pop foot is a good tip too.  before i read your tip i started gorilla gripping my board with my flip foot and thinking one-foot ollie.  that was actually working out.  might put the pop foot more in that heel pocket like your saying.  it looks like if i do that, think one-foot, then get the pop foot out of the way, i might be there.  of course i might be hopeless on this one.  big ups on the help out though dudes.

Strike A Pose

• Get slapped!
« Reply #2538 on: May 01, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »
appreciate the feedback josh and strike.  i tried the arms back thing but it wasn't working out.  i can see how that could get you to time it right though.  i'm definitely jumping the gun; need to wait a little longer before i flick i think.

the heel pocket for the pop foot is a good tip too.  before i read your tip i started gorilla gripping my board with my flip foot and thinking one-foot ollie.  that was actually working out.  might put the pop foot more in that heel pocket like your saying.  it looks like if i do that, think one-foot, then get the pop foot out of the way, i might be there.  of course i might be hopeless on this one.  big ups on the help out though dudes.

+That arm flailing advice was some regular poser shit btw.

Just make sure you are trying to flick your heel straight out over the nose of the deck instead of karate kicking forward too much. I think that hanging too much of your toe off the deck can cause wild kicks that cause the board to rocket instead of flip.

I would just practice them in the grass or on some carpeting until you figure out how to flick them consistently.

TONY!

• Rep: -19
« Reply #2539 on: May 01, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
bs 50-50 pop shuv body varial out. woot!

dank scorpio

« Reply #2540 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »

anybody have some good tips for switch heel??  if you learned it when you were in your 30's, that might be even more relevant in my case.?  cheers.

just barely hang your toes off. like an inch or so. think of it as a switch ollie...then flick.

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2541 on: May 02, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
bs 360 no comply. Now i am working on the fs. So much fun trick.

I can do the frontside ones but not even come close to backside ones.  I love that trick though, congrats!  Any tips?  It looks like you have to take your front foot off and plant it way infront and to your toe side so your board can get through your legs right?  And it always kinda looks like you pop your tail and take your foot off at almost the exact same time?  Shit confuses me.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Strike A Pose

• Get slapped!
« Reply #2542 on: May 02, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
Creepin' up on some varial heels.

I can do them stationary with regularity.

I'm on and off while rolling, but I'm making progress.

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2543 on: May 05, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »
Fakie 360 flip.

Also had a no comply session the other day:
fs 360 no comply
fakie fs 360 no comply
nollie bs 360 no comply
fs bigspin no comply
cabbalerial no comply
fs 360 shuv no comply
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:24:47 PM by myrrh »

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2544 on: May 05, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
FS Slappy 180 out. Used to flounder around just taking em out normal.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #2545 on: May 05, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
Tried to learn wallies today but I kept accidentally olleing over the ledge I was trying em on. It was weird, I would try so hard not to ollie buy next thing I know I'm in the air. It's like as a skater I've been trained to ollie when approaching an obstacle not bash into it so my brain just tells my body to ollie even though that's not what I want to do.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #2546 on: May 05, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
Got my first bs 180 the other day. It was horrible, but I'll take it. I literally cannot figure out how to do them well.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #2547 on: May 05, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Varial heel. Did them now and then, but now they're suddenly pretty consistent.
[close]
I yearn to be able to do this trick. I can do em switch but regular varial heels are the bane of my existence

dude for the longest time i never thought id  be able to do that trick. i have trouble w heels in general but var heels i barely understood the rotation. then all of a sudden one day just fucking around changing the way i bent down to pop em it came to.  gotapoint that back leg inward great tip for front shoves as well

recenetly i learned to actually land popped back bigspins pretty consistent and just landed my first switch backbig the same day
try to remember, forget

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #2548 on: June 11, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
half cab backside 50-50's and half cab backside 5-0's 

So much fun and not too hard to do with some speed.

victor333

« Reply #2549 on: June 11, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
Got my first bs 180 the other day. It was horrible, but I'll take it. I literally cannot figure out how to do them well.

practice, practice, practice. I don't setup my feet in the ollie position; I put my front foot a little closer to the front bolts.

Having good pop shuvs helps, too. A lot of people say you should look at your back foot, but I don't think I do. Whatever helps, just stick with it.

Learned varial heels about a month ago. Still really sketchy for me. I have to hang a lot of toe off (almost half of my foot), and my front foot is also pretty close to the back bolts. Reminds me of kids who do treflips with their feet really close together. Whatever, though, still pretty happy