Author Topic: matt hensley apreeeeeeeeeesh  (Read 5761 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: matt hensley apreeeeeeeeeesh
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 06:45:56 AM »
maybe had the biggest influence on me....only guy i can think of that i wanted to look like...skate like....

now i'd rather watch gonz skate or whatever...but when i was 16...man...i had docs...chain wallet...flight jacket...

same for me, after natas it was all about Hensley

anyone know the story with why he retired? seems like he quit while he was still way on top of the game.

nocomply

• Rep: 147
  • Handsome
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
Coming home from an H-Street demo I got picked up hitchhiking in (I think) 1988 by a van. The van door opened and Matt Hensley and Ron Allen were inside. I can't even tell you how stoked I was. Definitly my coolest hitch-hiking experience.

Bender

• Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 08:07:37 AM »
I got really stoked on his no comply-o-rama line in uh...I think it was Shackle Me Not.

Keep in mind, I saw this video for the first time in like 1995 or so at the time it was -really- different.

His bar is down in Oceanside CA. Next time I head down south, I'll check it out. I'll gladly throw a couple of bucks down for a Guinness from Hensley.

kids

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 10:25:21 PM »
Expand Quote
maybe had the biggest influence on me....only guy i can think of that i wanted to look like...skate like....

now i'd rather watch gonz skate or whatever...but when i was 16...man...i had docs...chain wallet...flight jacket...
[close]

same for me, after natas it was all about Hensley

anyone know the story with why he retired? seems like he quit while he was still way on top of the game.
the spot light wasn't for him....too much pressure.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 04:53:10 AM »
crazy how he was the biggest street pro out and he just dropped out and these days you have so many pros hanging when they are way past their prime

sebastian toombs

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »

me too, me too!   i was in a 'media blackout' for my first few years skating, so that guys like the gonz, hosoi, and tony hawk didnt really influence me.  but hokus pokus came out and i was hooked on both skating and skate media...  for the first three years of high school my locker was plastered top to bottom and back to front with hensley ads from TWS.
i remember some interview where he talked about blowing almost all of the $350,000 he made in his first years as a pro...