Author Topic: longboarding  (Read 39125 times)

H8R vol.2

Re: longboarding
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2007, 09:56:47 AM »

Chris Dahl sliding in North Vancouver

riders in the South Alps of France

everything including a few light crashes

freakin radical!
i got all my powerslides on lock but i'll be damned if i get down and dirty like those dudes. 
respect!   8)

stinee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »
Expand Quote

Chris Dahl sliding in North Vancouver

riders in the South Alps of France

everything including a few light crashes
[close]

freakin radical!
i got all my powerslides on lock but i'll be damned if i get down and dirty like those dudes. 
respect!   8)

Thanks dude...THAT is longboarding.  It's a rush like nothing else.  I love just cruising around or hitting a park too but that stuff is what gets my blood pumping.

damian

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »
sfahahahahahahsfaa. gasp, sfahahaaha.

stinee

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »
sfahahahahahahsfaa. gasp, sfahahaaha.

Whatever...you get your kicks on a rail, I get mine at 55mph or sliding down the hill.  I skate pools and bowls too so your loss.

damian

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
pools and bowls are fun. i hope you longboard in them too. sfahahaha, i'm sure you go 55mph, you human porsche, you.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »
Hahaha. Thanks, Damian.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
It is fun, you can go really fast with very little effort.  like being in a cadillac.  i like arbor and want one of these.

or these

I have one of these

stinee

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2007, 08:11:42 PM »
Look up Chicago Longboards, Kebbek, Never Summer, Longboardlarry, Rayne, Landyachtz, Bustin, Earthwing, ColdWar, Honey, Loaded or any of the other companies out there.  Arbor's a great company but...90% of skaters out there don't know that there's more to longboarding than Arbor and Sector 9.  No offense meant dude, they're quality boards...just saying there's so much more out there.

Oh and yeah, I do ride a 36" deck in the bowl.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:32:49 PM by stinee »

needles

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2007, 08:54:18 PM »

stinee

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2007, 10:46:04 PM »
i'm sure you go 55mph, you human porsche, you.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2007, 01:28:51 AM »
i see twice as many longboarders as skaters around vancouver, its really sad
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2007, 06:04:33 AM »
I couldn't help myself...someone posted a link to this on Silverfish longboarding so I made a username to drop in my 2 cents.

If all you see in "longboarding" is hippies with no balance cruising around on long pieces of wood...well...I've got nothing to say to you.  There is so much more to "longboarding" than that.  For example, how many of you have ever tried doing a 1080 slide at 30mph with your face 5 inches from the ground?  Or tried slalom, boardwalking etc etc?

I understand that there is the stigmatism that longboarders are the pussies of skateboarding...but seriously...have any of you ever hit pavement going 55mph?  I have, and I can tell you that it's just a tad different than falling off a rail.  I don't want to come in here and bag on you guys because street skating is badass in it's own regard.  I can't treflip a 5 stair but I bet few if any of you would know what the hell to do if you were going 50mph on a skateboard and had a 180* hairpin turn coming up.  Stop being so damn concerned with the image of skateboarding and just go ride whatever it is you want.  What the hell do you care if someone gets their kicks by cruising around on a long piece of wood in sandals?

There is so much more to skateboarding than "shortboarding" and "longboarding".  You guys may think it's ridiculous when you see people at college cruising around but I assure you that there lots of people getting a kick out of watching 12 year olds throw a hissy fit after messing up a kick flip.  So stop worrying about whatever other people are doing...it's all skateboarding.

Love what you do and open up to the concept that there is more to skateboarding than you may think.  So yeah, don't be elitists and don't worry about what other people do to enjoy skateboarding.

P.S. I skate the local park everyday and don't wear shell necklaces.  I also race Internationally and am sponsered by 2 different companies.  Hope that blows your stereotypes to pieces.

You say this because you can't skate. If you actually could 360 flip or could skate a rail you'd never say shit like that. And the elitistic attitude wouldn't bother you one bit, cause you'd know how much more skill it takes to be able to do those things. Be humble and learn how to skate instead of playing the big fish in your little pond of college hippies.

stinee

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »
Nope, no 360 flips.  Stopped street skating when the best I could do was kickflip a 5 stair.  I can BS Air out of the 9 foot section of the bowl and Smith grind the whole way around the round section (two small round sections and a larger rectangular section shaped kind of like a Ven diagram).  But yeah, you're right, I have no idea how to skateboard.  I'm the one at the park who watches his mouth because there are little kids there with their parents and doesn't do more than grimace when I make a mistake...maybe I should try to be a bit more humble too.  Oh, hmmm, I'm also the one working with the Transportation dept. at Virginia Tech to allow skateboarding on campus (long, short, green, orange...whatever as long as it has 4 wheels and no motor) new policy which will allow skateboarders to ride wherever they want on campus should be ratified next month.  P.S. the Transportation board wanted to limit it to just longboarding for fear of vandalism but I convinced them to remove any distinction on what type of board you could be riding.  Oh, and I get no credit nor recognition for doing any of that, so the only personal gain i get is to be able to skate at school.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »
Nope, no 360 flips.  Stopped street skating when the best I could do was kickflip a 5 stair.  I can BS Air out of the 9 foot section of the bowl and Smith grind the whole way around the round section (two small round sections and a larger rectangular section shaped kind of like a Ven diagram).  But yeah, you're right, I have no idea how to skateboard.  I'm the one at the park who watches his mouth because there are little kids there with their parents and doesn't do more than grimace when I make a mistake...maybe I should try to be a bit more humble too.  Oh, hmmm, I'm also the one working with the Transportation dept. at Virginia Tech to allow skateboarding on campus (long, short, green, orange...whatever as long as it has 4 wheels and no motor) new policy which will allow skateboarders to ride wherever they want on campus should be ratified next month.  P.S. the Transportation board wanted to limit it to just longboarding for fear of vandalism but I convinced them to remove any distinction on what type of board you could be riding.  Oh, and I get no credit nor recognition for doing any of that, so the only personal gain i get is to be able to skate at school.

yeah but you long board....

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2007, 11:16:32 AM »

P.S. I skate the local park everyday and don't wear shell necklaces.  I also race Internationally and am sponsered by 2 different companies.  Hope that blows your stereotypes to pieces.

bragging about being sponsored, arent you just the coolest dude around. i bet you have a ponytail and play warhammer 40k as your other hobbie

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2007, 11:23:45 AM »

i dont care how much you brag, theres people who skate and then theres skateboarders. sadly your just a dude who longboards, so unless your the gonz get back on your longboard and roll right the fuck out of our forum kook!

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »
How in the fuck is stinee less of a skateboarder than anyone else? Are you prepared to get on a soapbox and dictate as to exactly what skateboarding is? Everyone gets their own thing from skateboarding, and everyone does it differently.

I mean, I like doing flip tricks and skating street on top of other things, but that's not what skateboarding is. Skateboarding is simply the act of rolling on a board, no matter the dimensions... everything else is a bonus.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »
read my first post ...............no beef with longboarding. shit can be fun as fuck, its the longboarders that get me. bragging and being a kook go hand in hand. buddy could have come on here and posted some vids and got everyone stoked, but he clearly didnt need to mention sponsors or community work or anything other than i love to shred period. longboarding isnt what makes stinee a kook, stinee's what makes stinee a kook.

jrock

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2007, 11:45:46 AM »
i used to know this longboarder named Roger.  If you skate in the Bay area you've probably seen him at a skatepark at one time or another.  Anyway, dude was actually pretty cool and killed bowls on his long board.  We asked him why he didn't just skate a regular board, and he said he just liked riding his longboard better.  To each his own, I guess.  He definitely seemed like a kook at first, but I had to respect the dude because he fucking destroyed shit.  I think he's pro now for Gravity longboards or somesuch shit...

stinee

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »
read my first post ...............no beef with longboarding. shit can be fun as fuck, its the longboarders that get me. bragging and being a kook go hand in hand. buddy could have come on here and posted some vids and got everyone stoked, but he clearly didnt need to mention sponsors or community work or anything other than i love to shred period. longboarding isnt what makes stinee a kook, stinee's what makes stinee a kook.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to come off as a pompous kook or whatnot.  I was trying to make a point about longboarders not all being untalented, shell necklace wearing...you get the idea...by giving examples about myself.  I didn't mean for it to come off in the way that it did and I'm sorry.  In all honesty I am proud of what I've been working on at my school...it took a fair amount of work, I didn't mean for it to come off as bragging  :-\.  In regards to the sponsership thing, for whatever my word is worth now judging by the first impression that I made, I get angry at my friends when we're out at a party and whatnot and they tell people that I'm sponsered and stuff.  In other words, I really don't like bragging or having people brag for me, it makes me feel like the arrogant prick that I clearly came off as being on this forum.

Anyway, I'm sorry for whatever negative appearance I gave myself.  I love skating more than anything else I do and I guess I just got a little heated seeing the negativity that my choosen discipline was received with.  Hopefully the videos that I posted will get a few people stoked and maybe change some opinions about longboarding.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2007, 11:58:30 AM »
nuff said dude. i guess you get it now. welcome to the club.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »

you guys still need to stop calling skateboards shortboards...................that shit is gay.

stinee

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you guys still need to stop calling skateboards shortboards...................that shit is gay.

haha only when you stop calling boards longer than 31" longboards  ;)

Eh, it's just a name distinction...some people call them street boards, trick boards etc.  It's all skateboarding

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »
Eh, it's just a name distinction...some people call them street boards, trick boards etc.  It's all skateboarding

Not really.  Riding a 31'' board with concave and doing tricks is skateboarding.  Going fast and not doing tricks on a long flat plank is called longboarding.  Skating bowls and doing tricks on a longboard is called blasphemy.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
i ride a 32" inch board ....................what does that make me. a mediumboarder

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »
You know what I meant.

rhubarb

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »
hi guys, 

no ofence to any of you, i know it takes one hell of a lot of skill to 360 a 5 set or whatever, i used to skate street (and still do ocationally)    and its cool.    but please,  dont rag on us just cause are boards are a different size!  we are all skaters, we all skate, long or short, so what, its all fun.   some like flipping stars, some like bombing hills at 50mph+, some like wiggleig through cones,  and some poeple just like crusing,  its all cool.    i even respect the 'longhaired hippies in sandals'  at least there skating right?  at least there not riding bmx ;D 

but come on!  why cant we all just get on and skate and have fun,  why is there this barrier between us and you?   what about people like me that skate both kinds,   i will skate anything, long short, street, vert, downhill,

in short i love skateboarding.

rob.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:54:24 PM by rhubarb »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2007, 12:47:03 PM »
do longboarders have there own mags? whats that wack one that has all different skateboarding in it. concrete or something...............i must say i still do enjoy making fun of the people that come and buy longboards from me, every once in a while some dude will come in and ill be stoked cause he knows what he wants and isnt just some kid buying a giant sector nine board because everyone at his/her community college has one.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
i love skateboaridng.

hahahahahahahahaha..................yah dun son!

rhubarb

« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2007, 12:53:28 PM »
i cant type.    yeah,  its concrete wave, check it out somtime, its decent,  i used to read thrasher but i got fed up of all the shoe adds,  its concrete wave all the way now.     

one of the mods here went on the 'fish and said hes good freinds wiht the editor of CW!