Author Topic: Nostalgia - The Early Days of Skateboarding  (Read 1370 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 290
Nostalgia - The Early Days of Skateboarding
« on: August 24, 2023, 02:16:21 AM »
Inspired by the thread about the history of wheelbase (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127438.0) I wanted to read more about how the gear, industry and brands developed in the early days of skateboarding. I'm nostalgic for this era that I never even experienced, so please let me relive these days vicariously through your stories.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Nostalgia - The Early Days of Skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 06:13:33 AM »
Check my Instagram feed (ThePastParticiple) for assorted visual references of 1980s skating. It’s all raw photos (e.g. not professional pics) of average, everyday skaters. The ramps from that time period are nothing short of horrifying death traps.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

djoekr

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 06:28:30 AM »
Check my Instagram feed (ThePastParticiple) for assorted visual references of 1980s skating. It’s all raw photos (e.g. not professional pics) of average, everyday skaters. The ramps from that time period are nothing short of horrifying death traps.

Been following your account for quite some time, one of the better accounts on my feed and exactly what I'm looking for. Love that they're pics of the average skater as most of the limited pro footage from that era is already well known.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 11:15:14 AM »

I really enjoy your IG, thanks!

AW YEAH

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 03:33:36 PM »
there's an archive up of early Skateboarder magazines if you're interested. i think it's worth checking out for the old gear alone but some of the photography is great too

https://www.skateboarding.com/tag/skateboarder-magazine-archives

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 07:20:39 AM »
there's an archive up of early Skateboarder magazines if you're interested. i think it's worth checking out for the old gear alone but some of the photography is great too

Insane that TWS is hosting this, but they can't/won't get TWS archives posted.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 07:21:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really enjoy your IG, thanks!

Thank you for the kind words!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 09:51:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Insane that TWS is hosting this, but they can't/won't get TWS archives posted.

@Sedition I hope they finally do but TWS might not currently have the rights to their magazines to post an archive because of the of Men’s Health thing.

djoekr

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 04:05:53 AM »

This is great, definitely gonna waste a lot of time browsing this, appreciate it!
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 07:34:21 PM »
Basically if you skated in the 80s you were a “punk, drop out, gay, burnout, useless waste of space”. Expect to get jumped by stoners, metal heads, gangsters, jocks, preppies, rednecks, cops, and everyone else that didn’t skate for the most part.
 Skating wasn’t something many were doing, so when you did see someone skating it was automatic brotherhood. Didn’t matter if they ripped or sucked, they were in the battle with you. If they came to your town or vise versa you’d have spots, a crew, and more likely than not, a place to stay.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 05:23:58 AM »
A skateboard was a big, blaring sign saying ‘harass me’.

At the time, team sports were kinda the highest ideal for a kid. The whole ‘teamwork, sportsmanship, being in a group and most of all, RULES’.
All of this was HEAVILY pushed in all media.

Skateboarding was a reviled subculture specifically because it was that antagonistic to team sports, and was anti-rule. That’s exactly why you had it attract all these people who felt they didn’t fit into regular society. Especially the anti-social, emotionally self-destructive ones. They were the gnarliest skaters. And we celebrated them.

Of course, you weren’t expected to skateboard past high school-it was strictly a kids toy, not something adults did.

But it took dedication. Skateboards weren’t easy to come by, you found about boards from the one bookstore in town that some a skateboard magazine, and you’d stare are the mini catalogs of boards in the back of the mag that the shops would post. Then, if you were lucky to go to a big city and your parents had enough money, you could get one of those rare set-ups and hold onto it for years.

The other part of the dedication was the ostracizing. The low-level stuff AND the threat of violence. It was not accepted , It was serious, and I even got jumped once or twice.

It was a weird time. The 90’s changed in significant ways I might get into later.

But the kids now have it good, I’m happy for them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 05:34:51 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 06:25:35 AM »

At the time, team sports were kinda the highest ideal for a kid. The whole ‘teamwork, sportsmanship, being in a group and most of all, RULES’.

Skateboarding was a reviled subculture specifically because it was that antagonistic to team sports, and was anti-rule. That’s exactly why you had it attract all these people who felt they didn’t fit into regular society. Especially the anti-social, emotionally self-destructive ones. They were the gnarliest skaters. And we celebrated them.

Of course, you weren’t expected to skateboard past high school-it was strictly a kids toy, not something adults did.

But it took dedication. Skateboards weren’t easy to come by, you found about boards from the one bookstore in town that some a skateboard magazine, and you’d stare are the mini catalogs of boards in the back of the mag that the shops would post. Then, if you were lucky to go to a big city and your parents had enough money, you could get one of those rare set-ups and hold onto it for years.

The other part of the dedication was the ostracizing. The low-level stuff AND the threat of violence. It was not accepted , It was serious, and I even got jumped once or twice.

It was a weird time. The 90’s changed in significant ways I might get into later.

FACTS.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 05:51:44 PM »
Inspired by the thread about the history of wheelbase (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127438.0) I wanted to read more about how the gear, industry and brands developed in the early days of skateboarding. I'm nostalgic for this era that I never even experienced, so please let me relive these days vicariously through your stories.

Gear wise?  The most interesting time was probably late 80's to mid 90's where boards drastically changed from being really big to really tiny.  A lot of it had to do with how people skated as well just how skating was about doing away with the old and in with the new......thank god we did away with that concept otherwise you wouldn't have a bunch of dudes in their 40's on message boards......

There were dramatic differences so people didn't really sweat shit like wheelbases...you were looking for a nose long enough to nose slide on...then long enough to nollie on....then boards narrow enough to double flip on.  Wheels went from 66mm to 40 mm in the course of a few years.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 12:36:15 AM »

Yo, love your insta even though you never posted any of my sick photos I sent through.  Can't win em all.

Love looking back at how much has changed as skatings aged.  I distinctly remember talking to my mum & sister when I was probably around 14 and they were saying I wont be skating when i'm 50, to which I replied 'there's only no old dudes skating because there's no generation before that grew up skating'.  I'm pretty close to proving them wrong.  Skating was so maligned and lumped with something you should stop doing when you're 10 back when it started that it'd be hard to relate to the shit you were given as a teenager in the suburbs skating in the 80s or even 90s.  Guys throwing stuff at you out of cars, chasing you through the neighbourhood, old people abusing you, not for skating a spot, just for skating at all. 

I have a distinct memory of me and my friend sitting on our boards outside of McDonalds and it was an endless parade of people giving us shit, and we kinda loved it.  I'm sure that's relatable to teens of any generation, but it was pretty over the top back then.  Other kids at school hated you for skating, and it really didn't help with the girls.  But, it was ours and we took ownership of it and it helped define who we were in a beige landscape of surburban dudes playing football.  So many great memories, such a great way to spend your childhood. 

Anyway, i'm still doin' it, still dogshit, still love it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:44:39 AM by radcunt »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2023, 05:05:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yo, love your insta even though you never posted any of my sick photos I sent through.  Can't win em all.

Thank you for the kind words. I have a huge backlog of photos, some photos do not get posted for well over a year since submission date. And to be honest, people constantly badgering me about "when are you going to pot my photos" is one of the reasons I quit for awhile. The entitlement some seem to have is mind-blowing [as if sending a pic entitled them to (a) have it posted, and (b) have it posted on their timeline.] 

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2023, 05:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Love looking back at how much has changed as skatings aged.  I distinctly remember talking to my mum & sister when I was probably around 14 and they were saying I wont be skating when i'm 50, to which I replied 'there's only no old dudes skating because there's no generation before that grew up skating'.  I'm pretty close to proving them wrong.  Skating was so maligned and lumped with something you should stop doing when you're 10 back when it started that it'd be hard to relate to the shit you were given as a teenager in the suburbs skating in the 80s or even 90s.  Guys throwing stuff at you out of cars, chasing you through the neighbourhood, old people abusing you, not for skating a spot, just for skating at all. 

I have a distinct memory of me and my friend sitting on our boards outside of McDonalds and it was an endless parade of people giving us shit, and we kinda loved it.  I'm sure that's relatable to teens of any generation, but it was pretty over the top back then.  Other kids at school hated you for skating, and it really didn't help with the girls.  But, it was ours and we took ownership of it and it helped define who we were in a beige landscape of surburban dudes playing football.  So many great memories, such a great way to spend your childhood. 

Anyway, i'm still doin' it, still dogshit, still love it.

WELL SAID.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -172
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2023, 09:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FACTS.

I would say in some ways at least where I grew up in south nj pine jersey when I first started pre baker days (so lets say 1994/95- THPS/baker/xgames later years it was still that vibe.  We constantly had to fight "gangsters", bmxers/dirtbikers (interestingly I rode bmx dirt jumping probably more than I skated, but of course was a "skater"), jocks,  etc.   I would say at that point you were thrown in with "hardcore kids", rollerbladers, etc., so probably better of than the 80s, but the early 90s west coast skate craze waned here quickly.  At least until the mid to late 90s overall it was viewed as extremely destructive and the default was you had to protect each other and did not expect police to help if you were attacked and harassed.  Actually sounds bizarre typing this now.

In my area, not sure if it was chicken or egg-- I was already getting harassed by the dirt biker crew daily, so "skating" and being a "punk" was in some ways embracing the inevitable and helped to get a small group together.  Welcome to 1990s suburban piney south jersey.  Im sure others have similar memories of that era ha.   I do think it became different by the time I was in high school early 2000s and is more accepted there with the proliferation of skateparks.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 10:28:46 AM »
As someone posted kids do have it easy now but I am not sure that's such a good thing. I appreciate that skateboarding is more inclusive and its great to see minority and marginalized populations thriving in skateboarding.

However, there was an appeal to being hated and outcasted and a certain camaraderie in it. No one understood us and that was just fine. Skateboarding is losing a certain edge due to its accessibility and mainstream acceptance. Is what it is. I am too old to stop but I do know that if I was 12 years old right now, skateboarding wouldn't appeal to me in the same way it did in the mid 80s, especially as I lived pretty far from California and the USA. We were even more freakish. I loved seeking out the snippets of cultural knowledge. Clothes, bands, tricks, equipment, all that shit would find its way across the globe very slowly as skateboarding developed but it was so inspiring to tune into it all.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 07:07:57 PM »
Cool thread.

I was a lil grom in 1996 when i got my first board. It was a variflex deck with a dragon. This kid marky who was in a group home gave it to his cousin derek who gave it to me.

Skateshops were hard to come by where i was at until these older dudes who no one ever saw skate opened one called the Laboratory. That place was sick, selling everything you could wish for, from punk records, hip hop mix tapes, caps, clothes, skate shit. Everything us kids had no idea existed. Those dudes also turned out to be moving serious weight through the area and as time went on the shop go weirder and less about skating. Still, it shaped a part of my skate brain.

There weren’t many people skating and there was always some legendary older dude that might pop up once in a while, but like others have said, when someone was skating or wearing skate shoes, y’all were instant homies. Didn’t matter if you was hesh or if you was fresh. I mean, you might get capped on hard for your style but we were all down for each other and skating. This was especially prevalent when the bikers and jocks decided to come around.

I used to wear brown dickies and vans pretty much every day and i cant tell you how many times jocks said something to the effect of “nice tight pants, faggot,” or “nice clown shoes, faggot,” and much like Jello Biafra notes, and they showered me with some water… beer… or soda. It sucked when you were alone because all you could do was take it or fight a group of dudes. I got into it with a kid at school once and half the baseball team showed up at my parents house one saturday night with bats and vodka. Kid knocked on the door and asked to talk with me. My old man came outside with a piece of rebar in each hand and asked who wanted to go first. But that happened because i was a “skater” or “freak.”

The cops were bad too. Getting sat down on the curb while they went back to the car for 30 or 60 minutes was pretty normal. I remember eating hotdogs with ketchup and mustard one day and then getting stopped. I was probably 14 or 15, and the cop grabs my hands and sez “you do graffiti dont you? Wheres the paint cans?” And im like “sir, I just ate 3 hotdogs… its condiments on my hands.”

At least where i was from, and i’m real lucky that my family is intact, all the kids who skated came from pretty gnarly home scenes and their parents didnt give a fuck where and what they did. I think my parents, no matter the mistakes they sometimes made, but their actively caring about who i was with and what i was doing, is a huge component of why I am alive and thriving at 38. Skating wasnt my only resiliency factor. I guess what I am getting at is that, at least where i was at, all the cats who skated got into either or both heavy drug use and a real criminal element. Skating was all part of that in some ways.
I might catch some flak on this, but as fucked up as it was/is, aspects of KIDS, really spoke to a lot of us.

Its all salad days, right? Being and feeling out of step with the world?

First world problem from the memories of a white hippy punk who is old and in the grey, but being a skater was hard as fuck when you were not with your friends!!! Ha ha ha then for a while i was a white guy with dreads and a skateboard. Hahaha

Anyways, the thing that hasn’t changed is how awesome it is to ride a skateboard. Nothing else spans generations like skating and I think thats gonna be the case well into the future.

Grt outta the skate jails and play in the street. Its betta for ya
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 07:21:07 PM »
^^^^ Great post.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »
Seeing as today is sept 12, i’ll share that national disasters or whatever have always made for better street skating. I was 16 when 9/11/01 went down and some of my first thoughts were “ya, cops are gonna be busy and we will get to skate more!”

Kinda similar to when things shut down for Covid precautions.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2023, 06:14:14 PM »
Yes! Princess Di's funeral was a radical day for street skating in my hometown.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2023, 08:58:17 PM »
A few people have mentioned that it's an easier thing for people to get into skating these days and that the ease might come at a cost, that if they were kids today, what drew them to skating doesn't seem to be there. I can probably relate to contemplating the mainstreaming of contemporary skateboarding and the difference in risks taken today v then. I mean today, it's relatively accepted that dudes our ages (mid 30s to 50s) still dick around on skateboards. Plenty of conventional looking and living people do tricks on skateboards today. But that's not the nostalgia ha ha ha

I'm kind of a geezer compared to the kids at this point but i had an ill session for like 10 minutes with a kid on his high school lunch break yesterday at a diy volcano street spot. Dude was just as hyped as I ever remember being.

I'm remembering skating old wooden benches that had concrete legs and were located outside this one particular grocery store. It'd take two of us to lift/drag em out into parking lot at night and ya had to wax the shit outta the wood, but they were alright to ride and heavy enough that they didn't move when you skated em. It wasn't even necessarily the old days, but like 15 years ago or something me and my best friend Frank (rip), who was living on the street next to the store where these benches were, got together on a 4th of July night with a couple 40s and blunts, dragged a bench out like we did when we were little dudes, and skated it while the fireworks were going off. I was trying to ollie over the whole thing from flat but wasn't getting it. That was probably one of the last times me and that dude got to skate together.

At another neighborhood some metal benches got replaced with "plumber" aka "plastic lumber" aka "trex" benches and planters that started getting built in the early 00s. that shit was really, really weird to skate seemed to be all over the place for a minute but it was unequivocally better than wood. The neighborhood committees and business owners would get so incredibly pissed when we'd be skating those things.

This one time, again with Frank, we were skating this small set and hubba at a Catholic school that was located across from a nunnery. We're out there and this nun comes out and starts wagging a finger and telling us to get lost. Frank was a menace sometimes and he's trying to gap the stairs and sidewalk to street. It was a pretty good sized ollie and he was coming close. The nun, this fucking little old lady she tried taking my board from me off to the side of the bottom of the stairs and I'm like "nope, you can't have it." Frank starts barging down the runway toward the stairs and the old girl starts running up the set toward this dude who is trying to gap to the street, flying. It was a game of chicken and dude had jump off into the grass. The nun then grabs his board and starts walking away. Homie had a crazy temper and went nuts, cussing her out and what not. I was like "yoooo, hey, you can't take his board. come on" and Frankie snuck up and grabbed it outta her hands, ran up the stairs and ollied that shit.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 03:58:46 AM »
Great thread,  great posts, I just found out that it exists. Thanks y'all for sharing those stories.

I started around 92-93 in a small German town far away from anything Californian, no skateshops, ramps/obstacles, nothing. My first skateboard was a hand me down from an older local, must have been between around 10inch width, square tail, and the best bearings ever, wheels would spin for minutes (shout out Max). I landed my first kickflip on that board and I am still proud of that. Next thing I know is my older brother brought home a catalog from a sports shop somewhere in Germany that carried skateboards (Gerich). We would order our first 'new school' boards, I got a Martinez Element and I think my brother got a Gino 101, but could also be that he got that later. Shit was exciting, we were outcasts but a real band of brothers. One time the homie broke his leg on a schoolyard and the janitor, who was also my neighbor, refused to call an ambulance because he hated us so much. Good times.

Anyway, for me the change from wide to narrow deck came just as I started skating. I barely witnessed it and did not have to adjust my skating much. I am wondering how that change was for you guys that were into skating a bit longer already. Did you welcome the change to smaller boards or did you hold on to your big boards as long as they were available? 91-93 seems like such a radical change to skating and I would love to hear some experiences of that time.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • sup dog
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2023, 07:36:38 AM »
What is it with Franks? My best friend in early days of skating was named Frank, too.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2023, 09:53:03 AM »
I started around 92-93 in a small German town...

I run that ThePastParticiple feed on Instagram...and my most favorite pics there are the ones that come out of Germany. They are so raw, real, and pure.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2023, 11:45:48 AM »
Expand Quote
I started around 92-93 in a small German town...
[close]

I run that ThePastParticiple feed on Instagram...and my most favorite pics there are the ones that come out of Germany. They are so raw, real, and pure.

I started to peep your feed recently, so much good stuff. Hope you keep it up, it is such am incredible archive of us normies.

My dad built a ramp/box once and we had only one proper session with all the homies in town (like 5) that destroyed the whole thing. It got called the magic carpet during that session because it was moving so much. Wish I had pics.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2023, 11:59:55 AM »

I started to peep your feed recently, so much good stuff. Hope you keep it up, it is such am incredible archive of us normies.

Thank you for the kind words!