Author Topic: Hidden Skatepark - the story of Whipsnake & Tom Risser  (Read 890 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
Hidden Skatepark - the story of Whipsnake & Tom Risser
« on: November 19, 2023, 04:04:15 PM »
https://youtu.be/Nn8ZAxuCfi4

North Carolina legend Tom Risser discusses his non traditional, solo ramp construction, his hidden skatepark in the woods, and what its like having the some of the biggest genitals and brainpower in the world.

Risser is an engineer by trade who (in his off time) builds his concrete bowls by himself using steel and cranes and raw ingenuity. His bowl/park was featured on an early episode of Tony Hawk's Gigantic Skatepark Tour during the early 00s.

The thumbnail is kinda vloggerish but the video doesn't feel like that, its worth a watch and worth appreciating. Any NC heads or anyone else ever skate here? I will take this down if it's making your spot hot. Respect.

I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Hidden Skatepark - the story of Whipsnake & Tom Risser
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 09:50:23 PM »
That was a good watch. Since the video is posted on YouTube I doubt it’s an issue that you posted it here. Furthermore, that could be anywhere in the western half of the state I would imagine. Makes me regret not building a ramp on my property even though I’m not much of a ramp skater.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 11:10:57 AM »
How yall be getting all these properties to just do stuff on? I gotta make some better choices....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

yet, I wholeheartedly enjoy that Risser isn't your average skateboarder by any means. The Tony Hawk episode tour showed him pumping the fuck out that pool and every little pocket.

https://youtu.be/oKYnqaOxMCw

Im really psyched on his way that he was able to construct the ramps out of steel and was able to then screed a perfect transition and also lay the coping perfectly accurate to his liking. I want to know how that will stand up with time vs. the longevity of typical concrete park stuff.

I wish I didn't spend my youth like a fuckhead and actually prepared for my future. I'm gonna make this about me and my myriad of shortcomings.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 11:56:19 AM »
It’s not too late. I was terrible in HS. Only cared about skateboarding. There are many factors that go in to acquiring property but the main factors are:

willingness to
-live in a rural or undesirable area.
-fix up the house and maintain the yard.
-Live outside a development.
-operate septic/well.

I married at 25 and both my wife and I care more about land than the actual house. Most young couples now want turn key homes or townhomes. They don’t do any work themselves. You would be surprised some of the deals you can get on old homes especially buying foreclosures.

I hope you find that opportunity to own land cause being next to, under or over your neighbor does not allow the same freedoms.

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 59
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 03:15:00 PM »
I’ve got a decent amount of land.
I also live across from a factory and my neighbors burn an occasional chair or mattress.
Trade offs, I guess.

On the topic of this video, this guy seems awesome.  He also has tons of enthusiasm for his art, which is epic.

10/10
Cash me out skateboarding

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • sup dog
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 05:52:35 PM »
Oh hell yeah. Tom’s Ramp!

I skated the bowl and the old wooden pump/transition track through the trees back in 2001. He tore down the wooden “track” the next year or something, but that’s cool to see he built a concrete “Evergreen” type park.

It’s way the hell out in the woods.

Tom Boyle and his red helmet would skate there often. (Was it red? Can’t remember exactly it’s been a long time)

The bowl transition was amazing: near perfect.