Author Topic: Love Hurts  (Read 4164 times)

commie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Love Hurts
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »
I broke my tibia badly a year and a half ago. 4 months in a cast + 2 months of physio. A year later I had my tricks back.

Shawn

• Rep: 5
  • stoooops!
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
i "slam" all the time, but my worst injury is from snowboarding forl the first time.... my older bro (whos kinda unstable, whatever) was rippin.... i dont know, i tried to hit a jump, first time around, ate shit, snapped my collar bone... out for the winter. (which i dont mind too much considering i live in jersey) but yean...

the worst injury from me skating was probably a rolled ankle.... trying a ridiculous stalefish offf some shitty kiciker...
you climbing to the top? ...soon...

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »
back when I wanted to be Marcus McBride, I was trying to do tricks over a manual pad. when I landed my tail skidded in gravel and I slipped and I sat on my right hand and slid on my butt and pretty much ripped my fingernails off of my middle and ring fingers.

I broke the big toe on my left foot trying a switch 5-0 on an over waxed ledge. I slipped out and some how kicked the ledge and I nearly shit my pants :'(
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 10:17:23 PM »
i hate when i eat shit while a car is going by, knowing someone just reaffirmed their SCARRED view of skating.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

dudebro

• Rep: 22
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
I knocked myself out trying to noseslide the smaller Le Dome hubba in Paris. I had a bad heel bruise from trying to ollie the 5 block at Bercy a week before so everytime I ran out of a trick I would have to put most of my weight on the other foot. So I'm trying to noseslide the thing and you have to pop out past three stairs at the bottom and I kept landing on the last stair. So I was getting close and comfortable just getting up on the hubba and sliding and kicking it out at the bottom if i didn't have enough speed to pop out past the stairs. On my last attempt I slid it and didn't have enough speed, kicked the board out and expected to just run out of it, but I landed with all my weight on my good foot, which happened to land right on my board again. It shot out and I went horizontal landing with my head on the bottom stair. My buddy was filming it and he freaked out and stopped recording as soon as my body went limp because he thought I died... In the footage it looks pretty bad because it looks like my head hits the edge of the stair really fast and hard.

I slowly came to about a minute later. I remember my vision being foggy and having bad balance and one of the older French locals made some kid grab me some water. I kept saying I was ok and then I tried to walk back up the stairs and I almost fell over. I felt kind of weird for about an hour and then I was good to go. I'm pretty sure I even went out that night too because we were leaving the next day for home...
one-upping is rad.  so is beaming.  both so unquestionably identify the kooks...saves a lot of wasted time/small talk.  you instantly know who to avoid.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »
i could have a 4 page skate anatomy on myself but ill just put a few major ones.

-50-50 around the corner on a 6 foot cement bowl, slipped and caught my toe on the way down falling straight to flat.  sprained wrist, worst hipper ever, smacked my dome, and did nothing about the 3.

-learning rock to fakies on a 4 foot mini ramp, wooshed out and my front 2 teeth basically went through my lip

-hit my head atleast 7 times, 4 of those times was at the first place i mentioned..........sayreville skatepark in NJ

-gigantic scar on my elbow from trying to ollie a pyrmid, accidently turning in the air, and getting pitched to the ground skidding about 2 feet on my elbow

there are a bunch more but i don't feel like typing them

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
"knock on wood"         I never had any serious injuries just same stuff as everybody else.......endless shinners tons of sore muscles.......maybe I need to try harder when i skate?

wheee!

toonie

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 04:44:44 PM »
i was trying to 50-50 this bike rack and fell off at the very end of it and the end of the bike rack gouged my left shin , now i have a circle scar on my left shin

i was trying to frontside smith grind the box on top of the pyramid at our old indoor park , stuck , flew forward and gouged my right shin on the end of the sharp angle iron

i ran into the out door very drunk at the bar and broke some cartilage in my nose

i broke my arm skating and two weeks later i got stabbed in the hand , had a cast on my arm and one on my finger , got the nickname war amp for a little while

a few months back i got my jumped at the bar by my ex girlfriends scary ass boyfriend , choked the fuck out of me while i was pinned down , punched me in the ribs , just beat the shit out of me , i guess someone seen it and told me after he was done he got up and kicked me in the ribs while i was still down , two days later i was walking home in my hometown after a wedding and got jumped by 10 indian kids and bottled running at full speed twice , had to go to the hospital at 6 in the morning and got this weird glue on the scar

i fractured my ankle in 4 places ollieing a back alley street gap , back to a canadian winter , 2 months in a cast two months in rehab

i got fucked up at a bush party and got my teeth fucked up and my top lip all busted up , before i could get this root canal in 6 weeks , i had to go around with this sediment attaching my almost falling out tooth to the other one , looked like i had one big tooth for 6 weeks , grade 10 wasn't fun for a little while

rolled my ankles more times then i can count

caught my bottom lip on the coil of a trampoline , that wasn't fun either

shin splints also suck

Whokilled1962

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »
During the summer months I run a skatecamp at out local dinky skatepark. Last summer, I got really into launching off this six foot ski jump ramp kind of thing and doing dork tricks for the kids like air walks and finger flips.

First trick of camp one day a kid demands that I do air walk so I oblige in trying one. I dropped in on the Eleven foot vert quarter pipe that is before the jump and had my weight kind of leaning too far back from the get go. I end up making it down the quarter pipe and get to the launch ramp and for some reason decide to commit to the trick regardless of the fact I knew I was fucked. As soon as I hit the ramp lip I just flew straight in the air and my body went completely horizontal about ten feet in the air I’m told. I came down from the launch on my back with my arm tucked underneath my side. I ended up breaking my forearm completely through and dislocation my elbow so my arm basically formed a V and was close to sticking out of the skin. While this sucked, the worst part is that I still had a group of kids around that I was yelling at and basically traumatizing for life with my intense ramblings and broken limbs. I had to call an ambulance for myself because for some reason eleven year olds are confused by the phrase, “DIAL 911”.

Best of all I had just turned eighteen so I could no longer receive immediate attention in the childrens section of the ER. I had to wait for five hours almost to get my elbow popped back in place and then get painkillers.

I ended up surgically getting a rod place through my bone for good, but the part that made it horrible is that I had to get on a flight to San Francisco to start College the day after surgery. I ended up flying that day super high on drugs and puking on everyone and everywhere possible. I was told not to skate for 3 months to let my arm heal. Needless to say I didn’t listen to the doctors and here is a picture of me a week later after I broke my arm skating three up three down

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
i've been pretty lucky so far. I slam a lot but my worst injuries so far has only been a split chin, a broken arm and many rolled ankles

somekid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2007, 05:45:26 PM »
I really don't mind slamming as long as no one sees it, ya know?
what?

tokewithyafolk

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2007, 06:43:36 PM »
When I was twelve, I was skating a 6 stair.

Long story short, I snapped the skateboard with my asshole.

i bet that wasnt the first or the last time you took it up the ass

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

way to just attack somebody for no reason. 

wheee!

tokewithyafolk

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2007, 10:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

way to just attack somebody for no reason. 
haha no we have went at it before, no homo. thats my good friend jura

Class Of 1992

• Rep: 18
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:34 PM »
Fuck,I've had so many injuries over the years but 3 stick out in my mind as the WORST....

1.Picture this..the year was 1990...a quarterpipe set-up next to a washer and dryer in a garage ala Matt Hensley in Hokus Pokus....shitty plywood......backside one-foot to tail and try to revert in.....wheels went through the wood sending me sailing over a wheelbarrow and when I put my arms out to catch myself I landed wrong and SNAP!!...completely shattered my elbow to the point the onle thing holding it together was the skin and tendons...I freaked out,ran outside the garage with my arm flopping back and forth like a dead fish....I then proceeded to pass out and ended up watching Propaganda until parent's showed up.....that sucked....4 pins and 2 plates later it's still really crooked...but whatever...it works.

2.Fast forward to the year 2001.....after skating for many years and finally getting some free product I decide to film a line that would have been some shit to throw in the credit section of a local shop video....first trick was a switch ollie over a fucking log....big deal right?....it wasn't until I landed on one and my foot slipped off causing me to do the splits and shit.....my ankle then twisted and as that was happening my leg also twisted tearing my ACL along with fucking up my ankle.....that was THE WORST...nothing had been the same since...and I'm still pretty bummed that happened....I still like to cruise around and stuff but as far as doing things I would like and in some cases used to do very well it just kinda spoils it for me.....but I still try to have fun......and I guess that all that matters.

3.The last one that really comes to mind is when I broke 3 of my front teeth out after coming coming down a wedge ramp in 1988...I used to have that wedge painted up pretty good...you know,with the old Powell/Peralta Ratbones logo and some token Black Flag tags on it....it was pretty slick....anyways.....I got a 2X4 that kinda stuck from bottom and landed face first on sidewalk before I even knew what happened.....I could tell my teeth were fucked up and make things worse....my Dad had bought Taco Bell for dinner right before it happened....so imagine trying to eat some crunchy tacos with hot sauce that were condensed down to a soupy mess in the blender....awesome times,I tell ya......awesome times indeed.

:)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:02:57 PM by Class Of 1992 »