Author Topic: RED HOT: Asian Art from the Chaney Family Collection  (Read 870 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
RED HOT: Asian Art from the Chaney Family Collection
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:21:43 AM »
caught it over the weekend and it's definitely worth checking out if it comes to your town

http://www.mfah.org/main.asp?target=exhibition&par1=1&par2=1&par3=468

(not a meatspin)

barr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
Re: RED HOT: Asian Art from the Chaney Family Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »
caught it over the weekend and it's definitely worth checking out if it comes to your town

(not a meatspin)
i thought this was about hot asians

Knockout Ned

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote

(not a meatspin)
[close]
i thought this was about hot asians
;D  "RED HOT: Asian "   ;D

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »
I saw a similar exhibitioon in Vienna some time ago, but only from korean artists. It was called elastic taboos if I remeber correctly. There was a sick, huuuge oil painting from a guy called Shin Hak-Chul showing a sort of retrospective of the Korean culture during the past 100 years but also the future. That was the most impressive painting I've seen in my entire life so far.

couldn't find a picture showng the essential part of that painting, with all the detail. Actually, seen from this angle it looks shitty. I'd still spend a fortune to buy it one day.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:01:10 AM »
that seems sick. i hadn't had much exposure to asian art before this exhibit but i really liked it's originality in both style and meduim. here are a few things I liked from the exhibit that were on the web-site

the first image is of a piece that I'd assume was about communism. i thought it was really interesting. there was a lot of details in the little men and the ones that directly under the feet had their hands held up like they were holding up the feet while the others looked like they were running to keep up. i assumed that represented what it feels like to live under communism for the artist.

the second was by an artist who did a lot of what my wife and I coined "nagel aliens". it was a pretty interesting style.

the third one I liked because it looked like a screen but when you got close to it you could see the brush strokes and tell it was a painting. just thought it looked tight and liked the way it's craft was a bit missleading.

they also had really cool video art. they had one video that was called MSG and it played this hip-hop beat and showed random asian people on the street of china town in NY dancing to the Hip Hop beat. it was not the kind of thing you expect to see in a musuem but was really interesting.