Author Topic: Question about the 'N' word  (Read 3987 times)

Round 2

Re: Question about the 'N' word
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »
It's a word. Once I kept saying it around my friend Erinn who is black and he started getting mad and punched me in the jaw. Then he realized it's just a fucking word an apologized to me. I mean, if you all continue to be offended by words, then you're just empowering everyone who tries to use them in an offensive way.

Nadie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 08:05:13 PM »
It's a word. Once I kept saying it around my friend Erinn who is black and he started getting mad and punched me in the jaw. Then he realized it's just a fucking word an apologized to me. I mean, if you all continue to be offended by words, then you're just empowering everyone who tries to use them in an offensive way.

I agree with this, although I personally don't use the word in any of its forms. It does bother me when I here people say nigger or nigga when it is emphasized, but when anyone says nigga casually and comfortably it doesn't really bother me. Like I said, I'm not going to say it in any other way then just relaying when it was said due to importance in a conversation or something, but it doesn't bother me if it isn't satirical of a person or negative when someone else says it.

Dirk Wiggler

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 08:18:02 PM »
When I'm brunching at the county club, I prefer the term "black Alabama porch monkey" or, when I'm particularly excited, "jigaboo". That's simply how it's done in polite society.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:23:05 PM by Dirk Wiggler »

E.l.G

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 08:49:49 PM »
Dirk Wiggler wins.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 09:04:10 PM »

I like thick skinned/easy going people too but don't be naive. Language is powerful. And recognizing that empowers people to choose words wisely. 

CAMRON

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 09:20:26 PM »
jeezy is the only black person in here

WRONG NIGGA

Tha J-train

• Rep: 2
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »

nah, fuck that.  tryin to tell black people not to be offended by that word? if your ancestors went through all that you might be whistlin a different tune.  i know your argument is about words, but you can't change language.  for 200 years that word was synonomous with the popular belief that black people are subhuman.  a white dude continually saying "nigga" around someone who is black is asking to get your jaw cracked.  i would've done the same thing except without the apology.  if thats how you feel about words then great, but don't use your friends as an experiment to see if you can do away with the connotation of offensive words.  you aint webster homie you cant change the definition of a word

Knockout Ned

• Rep: 27
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2007, 10:34:51 PM »
boo fuckin hoo. if you use any version of a word originally meaning black object around people who are constantly being harassed because of who they are, you should expect to get hurt, and i dont want to hear anyone bitching about "double standards"...
if you arent black, and you havent been through what black people have to go through, then dont use the word.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:36:57 PM by Knockout Ned »

frisco

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2007, 05:22:22 AM »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2007, 07:58:44 AM »
I cringe a bit when I hear "nigger" coming out of the mouths of people I might be around (and being in the south, I have to say I hear it less often than you might think)... I usually drop an "awww man, c'mon..." or just change the subject depending on circumstances. I don't try to preach my personal non-racist philosophy to anyone, as there's not much I can say to undo the years of stupidity that have filled most racist's heads.

As far as dudes walking around saying "nigga," it just sounds really childish. J-train mentioned Q-Tip's song sucka nigga, and in that respect I can see it as the word being used by certain communities in an effort to take the venom out (like gay people jokingly referring to each other as fags), but my immediate thought is that the user of the word is socially immature.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 11:07:56 AM by grimcity »

P0PWAR

• Rep: -5
  • BIG BOOTY BITCHES
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »
It's just a word. I don't get offended when black people say "cracker" or "cracka" I could care less. If you get offended over a word somethings wrong with you. The big bad """N""" word is so cliche.

btw not quoting anyone.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »
To me it's just another insulting word. I feel you give the word power by letting it bother you instead of just knowing the person saying it is obviously an idiot and not worth your time or anger. It's become such a controversial thing and taken so seriously it almost seems like a joke. I personally would never call a black person a nigger or any other racist names.But there are much bigger problems for minorities then some word ignorant white folks seem to fancy. I think too much energy is being waisted on something that has been blown out of preportion and really does nothing but offend and hurt peoples feelings. A word is just a word until you let it become something else.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

Tha J-train

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
you dont get offended by being called a cracka? guess what? no one gets offended by the word cracka.  the n word is different from every other racial slur because of the fact that America tried to dehumanize black people, and thats the word that was used to exploit, insult, and do every other kind of evil upon them.  saying its not a big deal its just a word is bullshit.  no one "let it become something else" it is and will continue to be a word synonomous with hatred. 

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »
you dont get offended by being called a cracka? guess what? no one gets offended by the word cracka.  the n word is different from every other racial slur because of the fact that America tried to dehumanize black people, and thats the word that was used to exploit, insult, and do every other kind of evil upon them.  saying its not a big deal its just a word is bullshit.  no one "let it become something else" it is and will continue to be a word synonomous with hatred. 

Why are you assuming I'm white?
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

P0PWAR

• BIG BOOTY BITCHES
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »

Dude, your an idiot.

marty.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2007, 03:53:51 PM »
On the subject of racism, how awesome is the phrase "I'm not racist, but..."? That's always a cue that the person is about to say something hilariously ignorant, and won't think twice about it because, as their disclaimer has already stated, they're not a racist, so no matter what stupid shit comes out of their mouth, it's totally cool.
8)

Tha J-train

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude, your an idiot.

"your" refers to possesion.  you might be thinking of the contraction "you're" which is a combination of you and are.  if i'm an idiot how come i know that and you don't?

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »
Most likely originates with the Latin word "niger" which translates to "black". Similar words for "black" exist in other languages (Spanish, for example, is "negro"). Also somewhat relates to the African country Nigeria, which is primarily black. Many variations exist, including "Nig", "Nigel", "Niggy", "Niggly", etc.

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

Tha J-train

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2007, 03:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

my mistake the first half of my response was for the other dude and the second half was for you.  but now that you mention it, i'd put money on the color of your skin being white.  why? cause i dont know any black people that have that attitude.  no black person i know has ever been like "pshaw, its just a word not a big deal."

Young Jeezy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • AY!
    • youngjeezy.com avatar image
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2007, 04:37:08 PM »
yall niggas need to relax. nigger is very offensive to me. everything i saw as a child, KKK, nazis, etc. made me extremely pissed off, and anything associated with racism just seemed wrong and unneeded. FUCK RACISM. straight up. all people are the same, thats fuckin true to me. on another note i really dont give a damn what color a bitch is as long as she got a pussy and a fatty. amen
JEEZY NEVER DIES

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

my mistake the first half of my response was for the other dude and the second half was for you.  but now that you mention it, i'd put money on the color of your skin being white.  why? cause i dont know any black people that have that attitude.  no black person i know has ever been like "pshaw, its just a word not a big deal."

I know black people that have that attitude actually. And I'm a mut, white, mexican and native american.

Tha J-train

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »
also, i vaguely remembered seeing this in the post you skating thread.  if that pictures as old as it looks, id say you were ahead of your time rocking those nut huggers. 

but that attitude we're talking about, to dismiss racism, is one thing.  to not let it get under your skin, thats a good thing.  to recognize that someone is using it just to fuck with you and spite them by ignoring them, thats good.  but its something else to try and ignore the connotation of the word as someone who has not felt the stinging sensation of it in your eardrum. 

because you and I don't know what its like to walk in their shoes.  i know theres some things for me that, try as i might, i cant control how i will feel about them.  I would guess its the same way with that word, when a black person hears it, they might just brush it off and act unfazed, but deep down inside they might be reminded of the brutal and humiliating injustice that was done to their ancestors.   I don't know.  I couldn't say.  but im a very visual person and when i hear a word i see the word.  you can break a word down to its latin origins, but what the word has come to mean and how it has been used over the past couple of centuries makes the word what it really is - offensive and inexcusable. 

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »
Anyone see Kids in the Cinema? What was it like listening to Casper and Telly with black people in the crowd? Not a joke its just they used to word often. Its not good to say,people say it as a word for the friends I have on rare occasions just to my friend not out loud in the middle of harlem or something but its better to say homie if your a white ass fool.

Ive been questioning racism in my mind and to some of my friends,I dont personally understand it its just such a stupid thing,black people are some of the raddest people on earth,they do a lot of good things,so do white people,so do indian people,so do japenese people etc everyones just got there own thing and everyones different.People should learn that by the time there 2. Colors are great and culteres are great.

P0PWAR

• BIG BOOTY BITCHES
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2007, 06:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude, your an idiot.
[close]

"your" refers to possession*.  you might be thinking of the contraction "you're" which is a combination of you and are.  if i'm an idiot how come i know that and you don't?

Probably because I wasn't talking about grammar?? oh and it's "Possession". I fixed it for you tho.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:37:57 PM by P0PWAR »

P0PWAR

• BIG BOOTY BITCHES
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2007, 07:00:50 PM »
The grammar police? That's fucking stupid.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »
Words have powerful meaning and some like this one have negative meanings that no one should subjected to.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Tha J-train

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude, your an idiot.
[close]

"your" refers to possession*.  you might be thinking of the contraction "you're" which is a combination of you and are.  if i'm an idiot how come i know that and you don't?
[close]

Probably because I wasn't talking about grammar?? oh and it's "Possession". I fixed it for you tho.

hmmm.... why did he edit his post....hmmmmmm... i'm no sleuth but something tells me dictionary.com played a pivotal role in the correction

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2007, 12:14:22 AM »
I know this doesn't have anything to do the argument,  but does anybody know what that rap song is called when they start off in dainty fancy white-people voices and say things like "ooh let me give it a try!"  and then its supposed to be like they're rapping but its somebody else rapping......I think it was from quite a while ago.......I always thought that was pretty funy

I have been known to drop it with the A on the end when fooling around or whatever,  but its hard to help it when its in a lot of the music I listen to,  even if i don't listen to it on purpouse,  its hard to escape hearing that word over and over again in rap music all the time and when you are messing around talking like somebody who likes rap music,  you sort of end up saying it.....im not particularly proud of  saying it or anything,  but sometimes I will slip up.....

wheee!

damian

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
On the subject of racism, how awesome is the phrase "I'm not racist, but..."? That's always a cue that the person is about to say something hilariously ignorant, and won't think twice about it because, as their disclaimer has already stated, they're not a racist, so no matter what stupid shit comes out of their mouth, it's totally cool.

fact.