Author Topic: Birdhouse The Beginning  (Read 14964 times)

NickDagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Birdhouse The Beginning
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2007, 12:41:29 AM »
Basically skateboarders are all different.

And this comes out in videos.

What they're like always "promotes" whatever it is they're into through their image displayed in the video.

This is inevitable and unavoidable, and a good thing.

That's what I always liked about skateboarding, that all kinds of people did it, and that there were no rules.

And that includes there not being a rule saying you can't promote/mix/etc things you don't like.

They can do what they want and so can you.

It's fun.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

parkingblockdog

• Rep: 3
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2007, 12:49:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brian Sumner's intro was awful. Im not against religion or anything but tieing that in with skateboarding is just fucking lame.
[close]

im not against beer or anything but tying it into skateboarding is fucking lame
im not against art or anything but tying it into skateboarding is fucking lame
im not against vegetarianism or anything but tying it into skateboarding is fucking lame
etc, etc, etc

different strokes for different folks, thats what makes skateboarding great faggot
[close]
Beer and art are not ideologies, I guess vegetarianism is (though not in the same league as Christianity), but I can't think of a skater that promotes that in his part.  I don't want to argue about Christianity on a message board becuase nothing new or insightful could possibly be brought to the table, I just wanted to point out that your analogies are weak.  Also how can you preach the rhetoric of tolerance to defend christianity and then call someone a faggot?  If a pro skater was kissing a bunch of dudes in his part would that be okay with you? I mean different strokes for different folks right? 
[close]

Some skateboarding companies don't promote the beer/drinking lifestyle
?

Are you high or what?

What were the last 3 thrasher videos titled?

Who says i'm defending Christianity?

I just hate that hypocritical claim, where you say SKATEBOARDING SHOULD NOT BE MIXED/BE USED TO PROMOTE ______(insert whatever you don't like here)

With all that said, you're certainly free to dislike it, not buy it, change the channel and so on- again we're back to different strokes for different folks.

See how it works?
I never said that some companies don't promote the beer drinking lifestyle, but that is a lifestyle, not an ideology, so I don't have a problem with it.  There is no coherent system of beliefs or organized system that goes along with drinking beer.

parkingblockdog

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2007, 12:52:44 AM »
Also, will someone put the video up on google or youtube, I want to see how bad it is, but not enough to want to download it.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »
I never said that some companies don't promote the beer drinking lifestyle, but that is a lifestyle, not an ideology, so I don't have a problem with it.  There is no coherent system of beliefs or organized system that goes along with drinking beer.

There is apparently a system of belief that YOU have in terms of what is OK and what isn't in skateboarding.

Don't like it, don't watch it.

parkingblockdog

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2007, 01:09:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is apparently a system of belief that YOU have in terms of what is OK and what isn't in skateboarding.

Don't like it, don't watch it.
Wow that had nothing to with what I said, of course I have an ideology when it comes to skating, I would think almost everyone on this board does.  I have a problem with people propagating any ideology through entertainment, sports, human emotion, etc because it is a manipulative way to make people believe what you want them to think and seizes upon ones emotions, not the true intellectual reasons behind the ideology.     

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2007, 01:15:06 AM »
Wow that had nothing to with what I said, of course I have an ideology when it comes to skating, I would think almost everyone on this board does.  I have a problem with people propagating any ideology through entertainment, sports, human emotion, etc because it is a manipulative way to make people believe what you want them to think and seizes upon ones emotions, not the true intellectual reasons behind the ideology.     

Erm....every video ever has done this, and would be impossible to avoid.

YOURE PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY RIGHT NOW

ANTI HERO IS PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY

TERMITES SKATEBOARDS ARE PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY

ELEMENT IS PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY

even saying no ideologies are allowed....is a fucking ideology.

seriously think about what you're saying

you'll get it.

it's completely 100% okay for you not to support any company whose ideology you reject/dislike/etc

this is how it is dummy.

and unless you want every skateboarder and every skater to be exactly the same...you're gonna have to like...kinda accept that people are different...and move on.

parkingblockdog

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2007, 01:27:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Erm....every video ever has done this, and would be impossible to avoid.

YOURE PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY RIGHT NOW

ANTI HERO IS PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY

TERMITES SKATEBOARDS ARE PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY

ELEMENT IS PROMOTING AN IDEOLOGY

even saying no ideologies are allowed....is a fucking ideology.

seriously think about what you're saying

you'll get it.

it's completely 100% okay for you not to support any company whose ideology you reject/dislike/etc

this is how it is dummy.

and unless you want every skateboarder and every skater to be exactly the same...you're gonna have to like...kinda accept that people are different...and move on.

Ideology:the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
Element, Termites, and Anti-Hero do not have a doctrine, myth or belief guiding them thats the difference, these companies have an image not an ideology.  This conversation is dead to me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:49:54 AM by parkingblockdog »

parkingblockdog

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2007, 01:52:14 AM »
I think it is funny that half of the threade on the new birdhouse video is just two dudes arguing about something that has nothing to do with the video, it is kind of fitting.

mipe

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2007, 02:28:18 AM »
That was a fucking piece of crap!
I fucking hate David Loy
Nesser was cool and pretty rad.
But the video sucks end of story

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2007, 02:59:25 AM »
That was a fucking piece of crap!
I fucking hate David Loy
Nesser was cool and pretty rad.
But the video sucks end of story

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2007, 04:06:47 AM »
i was pretty let down by nessers part, where was that massive ollie over that rusty upright circle thing? it all seemed pretty bland but there was a few standout tricks
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

jesus0nvi4gra

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2007, 05:24:52 AM »
The Birdman had the best part.  The Jeep Handplant was epic.

neon blitz

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »
ok i really dont give a fuck if he prmoted religion or whatever,

what tricks did he do?
was his part good?

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2007, 07:29:18 AM »
Doubt this is from this vid, but here's Sumner spouting some embarassing heap of shite while sounding part SoCal, part Dutch, part Scouse and all person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1jRwWx41EI

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »
Doubt this is from this vid, but here's Sumner spouting some embarassing heap of shite while sounding part SoCal, part Dutch, part Scouse and all person.

sumner's wife is hot.
I'd probably start believing in God too if i ever found a girl that looked like that.
"I FEAR NO MAN"

greg

• Rep: -25
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2007, 08:12:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm gonna love this.

Birdhouse O.G. since 99'
[close]

Nah 87' that was my favorite shit.

gnar-worthy

hargo

• Rep: -50
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
the video sucked overall, but i like willies part, and steve nesser and tony hawk. everyone else was pretty much the same dude. Jeremy Klein surprised me by hucking his fat ass onto some crazy shit.
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2007, 09:22:08 AM »
Ideology:the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
Element, Termites, and Anti-Hero do not have a doctrine, myth or belief guiding them thats the difference, these companies have an image not an ideology.  This conversation is dead to me.

I like how you didn't give the first definition from a google search, but instead used the one most fitting to your arguement.

But anywayz, here's the first one:

An ideology is an organized collection of ideas. The word ideology was coined by Count Antoine Destutt de Tracy in the late 18th century to define a "science of ideas." An ideology can be thought of as a comprehensive vision, as a way of looking at things (compare Weltanschauung), as in common sense (see Ideology in everyday society) and several philosophical tendencies (see Political ideologies), or a set of ideas proposed by the dominant class of a society to all members of this society.

Yep, they all do.

As do you.

1.)For example, you have a belief that mixing skateboarding with religon is unacceptable-this is a belief that guides you, an individual.
2.)Yes, all the companies mentioned have ideologies as well, which basicaly entail what they promote. Termite for instance, has a core doctrine of sponsoring little kids only, Anti-Hero for example has a core belief that they should stay true to skateboarding, Element has a core belief that profit is all that matters. All of these beliefs guide all of the companies listed. How you cannot see this is baffling to me.

Conclusion: It's perfectly fine for you not to like religion being mixed with skateboarding, but don't pretend that beliefs/ideas/systems of thought aren't constantly mixed with skateboarding. It would pretty much be impossible for these things not to be this way, unless all skaters all wore the same clothes, all the adds were just pictures of skating, all the videos had no music or art shit, and everything else was just bland as fuck. Otherwise, who skaters and companies are comes out in a promoted ideology. It can be a mixed bag sometimes, as i'm sure not everything in the birdhouse video was promoting Sumner's stances, some of it was promoting(i'd assume) some teenagebag lifestyle, some of it was promoting whatever lifestyles the older pros live. Yet you don't have a problem with any of that. The real issue here is obviously that you don't like religion, which again, is perfectly fine by me, and your right. Just don't try and present it otherwise.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »
worst video in history. i  need to make sure this is in every page of this thread so no one makes the mistake of watching it based on too much text to search through.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

hargo

• Rep: -50
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
I dont have a problem with someone being religious, or even having a video part that is filled with religious symbolism. My problem is with the religious types who believe that they are the ones that are going to heaven, and  everyone else is going to burn in hell for not accepting their belief system. Then they go on to try and sell the rest of the world their product, or image. They get paid by secular companies which they condemn, they try to be down with secular skaters, which they also condemn. They also tell us our lives are meaningless without christ, yet they are in the same videos, wear the same clothes, basically they live the same lives as us. Its just very hypocritical and offensive to me.
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

parkingblockdog

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2007, 11:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like how you didn't give the first definition from a google search, but instead used the one most fitting to your arguement.

But anywayz, here's the first one:

Expand Quote
An ideology is an organized collection of ideas. The word ideology was coined by Count Antoine Destutt de Tracy in the late 18th century to define a "science of ideas." An ideology can be thought of as a comprehensive vision, as a way of looking at things (compare Weltanschauung), as in common sense (see Ideology in everyday society) and several philosophical tendencies (see Political ideologies), or a set of ideas proposed by the dominant class of a society to all members of this society.
[close]

Yep, they all do.

As do you.

1.)For example, you have a belief that mixing skateboarding with religon is unacceptable-this is a belief that guides you, an individual.
2.)Yes, all the companies mentioned have ideologies as well, which basicaly entail what they promote. Termite for instance, has a core doctrine of sponsoring little kids only, Anti-Hero for example has a core belief that they should stay true to skateboarding, Element has a core belief that profit is all that matters. All of these beliefs guide all of the companies listed. How you cannot see this is baffling to me.

Conclusion: It's perfectly fine for you not to like religion being mixed with skateboarding, but don't pretend that beliefs/ideas/systems of thought aren't constantly mixed with skateboarding. It would pretty much be impossible for these things not to be this way, unless all skaters all wore the same clothes, all the adds were just pictures of skating, all the videos had no music or art shit, and everything else was just bland as fuck. Otherwise, who skaters and companies are comes out in a promoted ideology. It can be a mixed bag sometimes, as i'm sure not everything in the birdhouse video was promoting Sumner's stances, some of it was promoting(i'd assume) some teenagebag lifestyle, some of it was promoting whatever lifestyles the older pros live. Yet you don't have a problem with any of that. The real issue here is obviously that you don't like religion, which again, is perfectly fine by me, and your right. Just don't try and present it otherwise.
When I started out this conversation I kind of forgot that I was not talking in a college classroom where there is already an assumed understanding.  You can  play with words all you want, I got my definition from dictionary.com and it was the first one.  Companies still don't fit with your definition of ideology because they do not have an organized collection of ideas, unless i missed the element/anti-hero/termite manifesto?  Of course there is going to be differences in the way skaters dress, act and skate (any dumbass can see that and vaguely relate it to the idea of ideology), but using a skate video to promote ideologies that have nothing to do with skating is stupid.

The Ripper

• Rep: -1
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2007, 11:49:12 AM »
Some of the dudes had good parts, but they seriously need to get off birdhouse.

beagle

• Rep: 0
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »
"Religion is bullshit!" - George Carlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

The Ripper

• Rep: -1
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »
David Loy is a bitch.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2007, 02:03:39 PM »
i liked shaun gregoire's ender. thats pretty much all.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »

fuck that video is so embarrasing

Knockout Ned

• Rep: 27
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
someone put willy on youtube(no homo)

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the only thing that makes me happy while watching that, is the knowledge that some day he will be dead.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the only thing that makes me happy while watching that, is the knowledge that some day he will be dead.
haha hes already dead to me, he puts shame on Liverpool

dripping clit

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
why does everyone think this video sucks so bad? all of you are suckign every faggots dick who skates a bank and whenever you see gaps or rails you say the video sucks. the skatign was fuckign good i just had no idea who half the kids were in it