Author Topic: static 3  (Read 41047 times)

mIRC Gonzales

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: static 3
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »
Naw it's not like a tree falling in the woods or anything, it DID happen.
Just saying it shouldn't make the cut in a serious video. Carroll's part definitely didn't need it and neither did MJ's.
Ty knows what's up (see: The Reason, Feedback, Modus Operandi) but everyone else skates rails that aren't MADE
for skateboarding. Ain't no Zero or Habitat video with built fake rails....why the need to even bother in an epic video like this.
The problem is that a built spot makes it all about the trick....it's not baseball, there's no such thing as a "best" trick....it's the combination of style, creativity, spot choice and the trick itself that make up the whole experience. Most of Lakai has all the style you could ever ask for, so building spots is unnecessary, that's all I'm saying. I know you're likely arguing just to argue, but I think my point is pretty reasonable.

teenageriot

• Rep: 3
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2007, 04:24:31 AM »
Just saying it shouldn't make the cut in a serious video. Carroll's part definitely didn't need it and neither did MJ's.
Ty knows what's up (see: The Reason, Feedback, Modus Operandi) but everyone else skates rails that aren't MADE
for skateboarding. Ain't no Zero or Habitat video with built fake rails....why the need to even bother in an epic video like this.
The problem is that a built spot makes it all about the trick....it's not baseball, there's no such thing as a "best" trick....it's the combination of style, creativity, spot choice and the trick itself that make up the whole experience. Most of Lakai has all the style you could ever ask for, so building spots is unnecessary, that's all I'm saying. I know you're likely arguing just to argue, but I think my point is pretty reasonable.

hahahahahhahaah

NCLOVE

• Rep: -19
    • Blacksheep avatar image
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2007, 05:38:29 AM »
Park footage doesn't count...it's that simple. Unless it's a tranny skater like Trujillo or Cardiel. Not like they can find some natural tranny hips in the desert made out of rocks or something....ummm, unless they're Jeremy Wray.....anyways, that's why the Nike video took a shit. Everybody's parts were filled with skatepark footage. What a ripoff!!! The sickest parts were the ones with no skateparks (ie: Weiger + T, Jordan).
Lakai video rips, but the footage of that built handrail on the foundation, or that built ledge in the woods was compplete dog shit. It was completely unnecessary. Carroll's part was fucking brilliant, he had no need for those dumb fake-rail tricks. It made no sense.
Lakai is totally different from Static.....they each have their own appeal. I don't care if Guy's skating in NY or LA, because he's Guy and he grew up in LA.
I am a huge fan of real city spots (ie: Static III) but Lakai was sick in that it didn't try to front on eat coast-ish stuff, they just ripped LA and Cali spots.
I think that was a good choice....but the built spots at foundations is fake and it doesn't count. Sorry man. But fuck, that fakie ollie switch fs crook fakie tre-flip out was like some mind-altering mystical unicorn wizard magic. Can't hate on that one.
Lakai skated a shit load of China spots too.

I honestly don't see whats wrong with it. They built a spot, who cares? What difference does it make, they still landed the trick and it was normally good. The rail isn't even that horrible as you are trying to make it out to be. It's not "complete dog shit" as you put it. If someone did the sickest trick ever on that foundation rail, does it not count? Just because it's not a natural spot? I don't think it made the video any different whether it be a "fake", or a "real" one. A back board to 5-0 on a rail is sick, regardless of how it was made.
What's next?
I can see it now.  Head line of CNN

"Birdman finds cure for cancer."

kools

• Rep: -45
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2007, 05:50:26 AM »
imo fake spots are lame.
what do you think of the hernandez ledges?
is this fake or a ghetto spot?

loophole

« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »
i think the jh ledges are fucking awesome, im just sick of seeing them in videos.
i wouldnt mind a few times, but umptillion is a bit of an overload.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2007, 07:52:24 AM »
well i think its safe to say we can restart the forums again.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

loophole

« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »
i'm enjoying this thread quite a lot, actually

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »
steve berra called, he said he wants his attention back.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Controversy.

• Rep: -10
  • you opened the box.now are we gonna fuck or what
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2007, 03:53:18 PM »
more pandas!!!!!!!!!!

E-Static

• Rep: -8
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »
Less pandas more static links....

On the built spots, its called progression.
yeah its built whatever, but they are pushing skateboarding forward bc goddamn you cannot session a perfect ledge or rail in the "streets" without interruption.

In any case its way more respectable/awe/cool/sick if they did that down some real shit. ya know.
so its 50/50
The vid is epic and that is all.

Controversy.

• Rep: -10
  • you opened the box.now are we gonna fuck or what
« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »
more pandas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mIRC Gonzales

« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »
Fake spots=o
Pandas=1,000,000

auditor

« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »

Guile

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »
remember when someone invented the term fake spot?
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Herve Villechaize

• I'm a G!
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »
Remember when there was a handrail that didn't exist before the lakai video and then they built one at an empty foundation spot and it was made for the explicit purpose of skateboarding and not holding onto whilst walking down steps? then remember how boring the footage was in the video and how much more stupendous the footage on real spots was compared to the fake spots? cuz I do. but then again, I'm a G.
Big things, small packages!

Guile

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2007, 10:12:17 PM »
there really is no difference, you sir are creating a difference in your head. skateboarding is skateboarding.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

toy machine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2007, 10:32:47 PM »
Remember when there was a handrail that didn't exist before the lakai video and then they built one at an empty foundation spot and it was made for the explicit purpose of skateboarding and not holding onto whilst walking down steps? then remember how boring the footage was in the video and how much more stupendous the footage on real spots was compared to the fake spots? cuz I do. but then again, I'm a G.
why would it matter ? i care about the skateboarding not the fact that their skating a hand rail that never used to be their  :o :o :o.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »
Didn't they build a rail at city hall in philly?  Didn't they put angle iron on a bench at love?  Didn't they bring a picnic table to love?  Didn't they use a crowbar to pry up the tiles to make kickers there?  Doesn't Ricky Oyola rig spots constantly?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:02:41 PM by OttoMaddox »

Rusto1

• Rep: -25
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2007, 11:16:11 PM »
wasnt that rail at brooklyn banks built by skaters?

HoT KrEw

• Rep: 0
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
yo pm me the link

toy machine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »

E-Static

• Rep: -8
« Reply #351 on: December 16, 2007, 12:19:41 AM »
pm pls.....

toy machine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: December 16, 2007, 12:20:08 AM »

Herve Villechaize

• I'm a G!
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »
Did you really just use the Brooklyn Banks rail as an argument? The Brooklyn Banks is a skatepark.
Ok...no, they never built a rail at city hall or put angle iron on any benches at Love. Where are you getting this? And if they did I'd complain about that too. Propped up tiles are sick! They're not built, they're manipulated. You ever skate one? Its fucking tough! It's the equivalent of draining a pool to skate it. But once you pull out the cement truck things start getting questionable. Why do people assume that Id think things were ok if Ricky Oyola did it? I HATE it when Oyola pulls out refrigerators and grinds em into banks. He doesnt need to do that stuff because Im far more entertained just seeing him do lines through the streets on real spots, he's one of the best.
If you can't see why dumb home-depot spots with ugly foundation backgrounds would hurt a video part in the most anticipated video of all time, then we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I hold Lakai to very high expectations and I was let down by the built spots. You have an "anything goes" policy. But I have higher standards. It's not sacrilege to question something in the Lakai video. I mean Jesus Cristo you gringos are like a pack of wolves who circle around anybody who speaks a negative word of Lakai. There were incredible parts in that video. But it is flawed in many many areas. Lo siento mucho, amigos.
Big things, small packages!

swissenheights

• Rep: 6
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2007, 12:55:11 AM »
i skiped 12 pages but PM if ur still sending it
dah

mipe

« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2007, 02:45:05 AM »
PM me please

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2007, 03:42:48 AM »

I appreciate what you're getting at but there's a world of difference between going to the hassle and expense of making a concrete ledge with a cement mixer, finishing it off properly to make an essentially permanent structure in a temporary location like an abandoned founation site and plonking a wooden grind box in a car park.   The blocks at Southbank and Shoreditch park in London which Jensen and Brady skated are the same deal.  As for the handrail, there was a rail down 8 stairs in Lyon which the Cliche crew built around 2000.  It showed up in Europa, Menikmati and Sorry, but I've yet to hear anybody complaining about that.   Personally I've no problem with skaters modifying spots with sheets of 3mm steel, Bondo, adding angle iron if necessary.   It also depends on location and what that town is like for skating too - sometimes it's just your only option to take matters into your own hands.

You are right about a built spot making it all about the trick though.

NCLOVE

• Rep: -19
    • Blacksheep avatar image
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »
Did you really just use the Brooklyn Banks rail as an argument? The Brooklyn Banks is a skatepark.
Ok...no, they never built a rail at city hall or put angle iron on any benches at Love. Where are you getting this? And if they did I'd complain about that too. Propped up tiles are sick! They're not built, they're manipulated. You ever skate one? Its fucking tough! It's the equivalent of draining a pool to skate it. But once you pull out the cement truck things start getting questionable. Why do people assume that Id think things were ok if Ricky Oyola did it? I HATE it when Oyola pulls out refrigerators and grinds em into banks. He doesnt need to do that stuff because Im far more entertained just seeing him do lines through the streets on real spots, he's one of the best.
If you can't see why dumb home-depot spots with ugly foundation backgrounds would hurt a video part in the most anticipated video of all time, then we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I hold Lakai to very high expectations and I was let down by the built spots. You have an "anything goes" policy. But I have higher standards. It's not sacrilege to question something in the Lakai video. I mean Jesus Cristo you gringos are like a pack of wolves who circle around anybody who speaks a negative word of Lakai. There were incredible parts in that video. But it is flawed in many many areas. Lo siento mucho, amigos.

Holy shit you sound like a spoiled bitch. For Gods sake, "I have higher standards". You have high standards for a spot in a skateboarding video? Does it really matter if it's a marble ledge, or a piece of shit plastic bench? Then even further a "fake spot" (as kids like to put it these days.) at a foundation. Tell me why it flawed the video? Because they might have just used a rail that didn't have stairs at it?

As someone said, South Bank is somewhat a "fake spot" isn't it? I've been there before, and I can tell you it's not there naturally. But people still cheer when they see it in videos.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:29:56 AM by NCLOVE »
What's next?
I can see it now.  Head line of CNN

"Birdman finds cure for cancer."

biggums mcgee

« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2007, 08:02:42 AM »
actually, they did put angel iron on a ledge at love. believe it or not, its still intact to this day

BriDen

« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2007, 08:30:31 AM »
actually, they did put angel iron on a ledge at love. believe it or not, its still intact to this day
You're right, it was there for almost 10 years, but I'm not sure if "intact" is the right word.