Author Topic: Wax in a deodorant tube failure.  (Read 632 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Wax in a deodorant tube failure.
« on: April 14, 2024, 07:40:03 AM »
My wife had some empty deodorant tubes laying around from her hobbies and I thought I would be brilliant and pour some melted Gulf wax into one to carry around in the skate bag to keep the mess down.

WRONG!

The result was a deodorant tube with some wax glued tightly inside and no way to turn the adjustment knob to get it out.

For a material that we use to reduce friction that stuff is really glued in there. Oh, the irony.

I have other deodorant tubes so I guess I'm just going to chuck this one but wondered if there might be a better wax for this or some way to keep the wax from gluing itself to the deodorant tube.

A deodorant tube sure would be a handy way to keep the mess contained in the skate bag.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wax in a deodorant tube failure.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 07:45:02 AM »
You need to make a mold using an unused deodorant stick to do what you’re trying.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 08:10:11 AM »
The idea works it's just probably not worth the effort of doing yourself. Old spice ones work good, the container is usually maroon or grey and inside the actual deodorant stuff is bluey green. But all of those speed stick style deodorants prob can work.

Or just get some plastic zip lock bags for your regular wax.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 09:26:11 AM »
Just a thought, but…
Have you considered applying a thin coating of some sort of high-temp grease to the inside of your deodorant tube before filling with molten wax?
Kind of like greasing a Bundt mold so the cake releases once it’s done baking. 
I like the idea of roll-out wax though.
Personally, the @Mean salto method of a sealable plastic bag has been working for me for ages, but I applaud your creativity.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Bold

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 11:28:03 AM »
Just a thought, but…
Have you considered applying a thin coating of some sort of high-temp grease to the inside of your deodorant tube before filling with molten wax?
Personally, the @Mean salto method of a sealable plastic bag has been working for me for ages, but I applaud your creativity.

Zippered sandwich bag is definitely the easy solution for storage and transport. Kind of wish I hadn't seen those empty deodorant tubes sitting around now haha.

This make me wonder though after doing a bunch of googling about different waxes while nobody uses automotive wax made from carnuba?

It goes on as a paste then once dried and buffed is hard and slick and durable in adverse weather. I mean your car gets sun and rain on it all year long and that wax lasts quite a while.

I'm definitely going to have to slap some on my board and see how it goes.

If I find a neglected curb I might try some on there too to see what's what.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 06:15:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Just a thought, but…
[close]

Zippered sandwich bag is definitely the easy solution for storage and transport. Kind of wish I hadn't seen those empty deodorant tubes sitting around now haha.

This make me wonder though after doing a bunch of googling about different waxes while nobody uses automotive wax made from carnuba?

It goes on as a paste then once dried and buffed is hard and slick and durable in adverse weather. I mean your car gets sun and rain on it all year long and that wax lasts quite a while.

I'm definitely going to have to slap some on my board and see how it goes.

If I find a neglected curb I might try some on there too to see what's what.
Car wax sounds absolutely crazy to me, but please DO report back with your results.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 05:30:41 AM »
hobbies got yall stinkin

rikki

• Rep: 273
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 05:51:40 AM »
And here I thought a small sealable plastic bag was the evolution's pinnacle with regards to storing and carrying wax. I've meticulously stored all my weed and shroom bags for the sole intent of reusing them for wax.

Little do I know, apparently.

Bold