Author Topic: Quitting  (Read 11364 times)

Tony Sandwiches

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Quitting
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »
age, responsibilities, injurys, and relationships may one day stop us from skateboarding, but nothing will ever stop us from logging in and talking shit about it

its all in the hips

• Rep: -6
  • Remote
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2007, 09:36:51 PM »
it will be impossible for me to quit i cant see how anyone can do it

jdg

• Rep: -1
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
The longest break I ever took from it was for 6 months after my divorce (all I did every session was stress out). 

I am going through a divorce now. I started skating again after not skating for 7 years shortly after we separated. The whole time, I watched videos and stuff, I just never went skating moreso than down the street to the store. I would have these extremely vivid dreams about skating, like I would remember the tricks I would do, like sw fs 360 kf to sw bs 5/0 and shit like that.
mnctech101 (10:59:35 PM): it's not like rocco will release a funny ad that will somehow cause quicksilver or billabong's stock to drop.

A-Bo

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
Skateboardings amazing but I almost feel trapped knowing I dont have the ability to quit if there was ever a reason (cant think of one now, but you know what I mean.) It becomes like an appendage, like I really couldnt get rid of it without seriously injuring myself mentaly. Man I am so fuckin corny, I suck.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2007, 11:10:42 PM »
I came close to quitting but never fully quit. 

All the friends that I started skating with quit around grade 11 or 12 in high school. 

All the people I knew that were older than my had quit also.  I still skated by myself but it felt weird

and I wasn't very good.  I was hardly skating at all and rarely stepped on a board during my first year at uni. 

My second year I met a dude from Indiana that was still hardcore into skating.  He kept hassling me to get

out and skate with him since I still had a board.  So that turned into daily sessions, sessions in underground parking lots

when it rained and snowed, and going to tons of different parks. 

I was so psyched on it again and I learned so much at that time.  The next year my friend totally gave up skating

for schoolwork and he doesn't skate at all anymore.  I skate every chance I get still and can't see myself ever quitting again.

Thanks bud.
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2007, 06:29:25 AM »
serious injuries are a just cause for quitting i feel....  i have a friend who was really talented on the board, got into a bike accident and broke both his legs, 1 in the shin and another in the thigh area....  he still loves skating but his body just cant do it, and hes regretting even getting onto that bike....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »
age, responsibilities, injurys, and relationships may one day stop us from skateboarding, but nothing will ever stop us from logging in and talking shit about it

i think that's true for a lot of people but not for everyone. it's just as easy to balance skating with your priorites as it is any other hobby but with skating as you get older you just end up skating by yourself a lot more and i think that drives a lot of people out of it. for me it's the spots. as long as i live near good spots, i'll be rolling around. i skate street but really enjoy tranny a lot and the thing that would kill it for me would be no access to any decent tranny. fortunately, i'm the head of the household now and i have control over where we live so i don't think that will ever be a problem for me again.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2007, 07:16:15 AM »
i'll never stop. I might take some long breaks, a few months here and there. but thats it. 17yrs strong and going.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2007, 07:16:53 AM »
Sleazy, if you're as in love with the bowl over at Southside as I am, you really oughtta come to Hammond. Got some shit you'd trip on... then on top of that, there's the one in Lafayette, which is a slightly shorter, tighter, and slicker (shiny masonite) version of the one over there. Fun as fuck, man.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2007, 08:58:16 AM »
skating's more fun when you don't need it.....

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »
Sleazy, if you're as in love with the bowl over at Southside as I am, you really oughtta come to Hammond. Got some shit you'd trip on... then on top of that, there's the one in Lafayette, which is a slightly shorter, tighter, and slicker (shiny masonite) version of the one over there. Fun as fuck, man.

definitely want to make the trip one of these days. talked to donny about the lafayette bowl a while back, looks so sick but heard it's a bit of a challange but in a fun way.

i love the bowl at southside but the new mini is really what i've been enjoying lately. a lot of people don't like it because the constructions kind of shitty but it's one of the widest i've skated with tombstones on each end. you can lock in 8-12 foot grinds so easy and the coping is really fat so you can really lock in, never gets old for me. also hoping that the concrete park will have some fun 6' and under options. not really wanting to die in the 12' monster i saw out there. kind of funny to me that i've lived in houston since 94' and now that i am less than a year away from moving they are finally building a big concrete park.

jf

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
skating's more fun when you don't need it.....

TheMoneyMellon

• Rep: -1
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »
Can't really blame anyone who quits skating becuase it's something you do for yourself and if someone quits it's obviously not something they care that much about, that's my response to A-Bo's situation about his friend.

If someone doesn't skate and still pays attention to the industry and watches videos then they're just a loser. Skating is about skating, the industry shit is just a byproduct. It bothers me becuase there are a few people on here who seem to be more concerned with when the next video is coming out or whatever else is going on in the industry than actually skating.

jack sandwich

• Rep: 21
  • lost in the sauce.
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
Can't really blame anyone who quits skating becuase it's something you do for yourself and if someone quits it's obviously not something they care that much about, that's my response to A-Bo's situation about his friend.

If someone doesn't skate and still pays attention to the industry and watches videos then they're just a loser. Skating is about skating, the industry shit is just a byproduct. It bothers me becuase there are a few people on here who seem to be more concerned with when the next video is coming out or whatever else is going on in the industry than actually skating.

don't let it bother you, i don't.
more fun for me and you.

Tony Sandwiches

• Rep: 3
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »
i'll never stop. I might take some long breaks, a few months here and there. but thats it. 17yrs strong and going.

thats so awesome. im a senior in high school now so its kinda like thinkin man whats it gonna be like in college with different schedules and people living here and there. but i guess it can still be done. me living at home for school and having a love for skating flat/flatbar by myself will defiantly keep it easier

skatemore,man

« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »
I slept with this woman who i'd been talking with for a few weeks the other night, she was fucking fantastic. Aside from that, she's 27, makes mucho dough as an accountant, is super hot, intelligent, and all that kind of good stuff  that a homeless guitar playing skate rat might only hope to discover in his dreams.  Monk is playing on the surround sound as we're laying naked in her plush ass bed and she's kissing up on me telling me what a great time she had the nigh before. I'm starting to wonder if i'm even really awake, you know. Then she starts talking about getting into a relationship and i'm just going with it, "we'll  have to see what happens" i say, because i really don't know at that point. Then comes the kicker, as she's talking about this that and everything else she says "oh, but you skateboard. i dont really like that." I laughed at her and said "well, we'll see what happens."  skateboard > pussy

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »
she says "oh, but you skateboard. i dont really like that." I laughed at her and said "well, we'll see what happens."  skateboard > pussy

You totally backed down dude.  You should've been like "So you don't like men with active lifestyles?  That's too bad."

Sherlock

• Rep: -6
  • mrow mrow mrow mrow
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »
as for me... i would definately skate more if there was still some sort of park. all my skateboarding friends still fuck around in the streets when its winter even though theres no spots. ive got better stuff to do then that

p.s vaginas, weed, alcohol, ea skate
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:04:38 PM by Sherlock »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2007, 04:27:07 AM »
Expand Quote
she says "oh, but you skateboard. i dont really like that." I laughed at her and said "well, we'll see what happens."  skateboard > pussy
[close]

You totally backed down dude.  You should've been like "So you don't like men with active lifestyles?  That's too bad."

I actually met my wife during my last year or so of school. i was in full student\intellectual mode and spent all of my time working, studying or in coffee shops bullshitting about acedmics, i was even into writing poetry and shit like that. Well after I graduated I almost immediately started skating again and almost hand in hand I started burning again and hanging out with sketchier kinds of guys. Well my wife (girlfriend at the time) hated it and it was almost the end of us. She'd say, "i can't believe you'd choose that over me" and I'd reply "it's just lifestyle preference, if we don't work out, that would suck but i'm going to live how i like to live the same as i've always done." I'd love to say that was an easy position to take but it wasn't. She totally hated it for years. But now it's been about 8 years and during that time i've stayed in shape while most guys my age have gained tons, did skate related web sites and learned web design which i now make pretty good extra money after hours with (i'm actually billing right now from the toliet), did a print magazine, hosted skate contest, currently doing southsides web site which has lots of benifits for me, etc... Anyway, now she kind of takes a little pride in it. I wouldn't say she's completely stoked but she definitely prefers that I am into skating than football or someshit and likes that i'm such an active, busy guy. That said, I must say that if was into football I'd probably be one of the face painter guys so good thing it was skating that became my pasion.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:34:24 AM by Sleazy »

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2007, 04:58:51 AM »
LAst time I skated, there was something wrong with a few bolts, so one truck didn't stay on the board, so no skating untill I had other bolts, then I had exams, so no skating either, after that it was winter and eveything was frozen or under snow, so again no skating
I haven't skated since then, I don't really know if I quit or not

BROKILLA

• Rep: -30
  • SK8MAFIA4LIFE.COM
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
McLouth has said "Im going to fucking quit skating...im serious, tomorow i wont do it" almost everyday ive known him since 8th grade. haha. he also adds to his todo list everyday "i swear...im gunna shave my beard, its getting redicoulus..."  hah.

we cant stop.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2007, 05:31:49 PM »
was this before or after she saw the Sublime tattoo you have?
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

deep

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2007, 06:49:03 PM »
im on hiatus cuz its wack around here, all i do is skate the park with little kids and theres no spots. so why not sit at the house and make beats thats just as fun plus im good at it and theres no drama and almost 0 stress.

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
quitting cuz your shook of getting hurt again

is understandable

quitting because you'll never go pro or get sponsored is stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops

quitting for a bitch that will try to mold you and never ever accept you for what you are

is bitch made

quitting cuz you gotta take care of your family and work mad hours is madness

take your fam to the skatepark

its safer, cheaper, and funner than going to an amusement park paying 10 bucks for a polish sausage and flat sprite

dont fight the urge

skatelife is limited

jf

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »
quitting cuz your shook of getting hurt again

is understandable

this is why i toned things down a few years back, i had something happen that definetly in all my years skating scared me worse than anything else has ever before.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2007, 02:27:27 AM »
Always the same stories.

Partying, Drugs, Jobs, Or:

Either way, you can never quit if you're a real skater.

If you quit, you were never a skater at heart.

-Dagger don't make the rules.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

NCLOVE

• Rep: -19
    • Blacksheep avatar image
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »
I "took a break" from skating due to medical reasons. I thought that I probably wasn't going to skate again, but after a few months I started back. Even when I wasn't skating, I still thought about it the majority of the day.
What's next?
I can see it now.  Head line of CNN

"Birdman finds cure for cancer."

Severin

• Rep: -9
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
I couldn't quit if I tried.

I dig that tattoo.

rollforever

• Rep: 0
  • Never heard of it
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »
School, jobs, injuries and the likes are always but in the way of actual skating, but nothing could ever make me want to drop the woodpusher moniker ive held for so long
Skateboarding ruined my life

skatemore,man

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
was this before or after she saw the Sublime tattoo you have?

after she'd already licked my stomach (cause that's where it is) and sucked my dick son.