Author Topic: Best non-skate shoes you've skated in.  (Read 43846 times)

toque

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Best non-skate shoes you've skated in.
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »
I skate converse on and off for the fact that they fuck up the soles of your feet and dont last long. But damn they are good shoes to skate in, extremely cheap too. I want someone to skate in a pair of Superga's if anyones heard of them. There an italian sneaker company but would be so good to skate in, very grippy. They seem to make only smaller sizes... May actually be a womens shoe, fuck it.
Here:

There is 1000s of shoes out there that are not meant for skateboarding but probably skate 100x better than any shoe stamped with the class of
"Skateboard shoe" on it. Jordan's of course would be amazing, depending on which one but if i don't recall the 1 was the most popular shoe back in the day.

Supergas have a weird sole to skate in.  Only cruised around in mine...

These might be my favorite shoes ever for skating:

I feel like a little kid wearing "skate shoes" these days. I fuck with some of the stuff in the Adidas skate line but other than that I don't really go for any of the skate brands....killing the skate industry....whatever.  I have a few pairs of Gravis stashed away from when those crazy deals were happening,  though.   
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:24:10 PM by tuque »

wheee!

BALT

• Rep: -28
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »
Sambas, all day!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
Stuff i used to skate in:
- adidas superstars, i had these in all kind of colorways. Probably my favorite non skateshoe that is skated in...
- adidas campus, during the early 90's our local skateshop even carried these. I really liked them and still skate them today.
- adidas gazelle, great boardfeel and they old up quite well. always threw some gel soles in there.
- air max 1: in our area it was very common to skate in these. In the nineties these were laying in the bargain bins. And since all skateshoes were getti g reall tech with airbubbles and stuff, air max 1's werent that weird to skate in. All leather ones were crucial though... The ones with tons of mesh wouldnt even last a day...
- nike cortez. Tons of kids skated these here. Definitely in the "fuck skatebrands, we wear nothing but polo gear" days...
- clarks walllabees

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
Aren't we forgetting something.... these are super sick for skating. Pretty sure a bunch of dudes were rocking these in Trilogy...

Yeah sambas are good, amazing board feel. Went through a short samba skate phase a few years ago but they get beat up way too fast and the sole wasn't very grippy.

Bliz

• Rep: -35
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »

Ironically one of the best shoes I have ever skated, the Nike Auto Force 180.  A hybrid between blazers and the air forces

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »

These two, always

Particleboard Penguin

• Rep: 10
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I skate converse on and off for the fact that they fuck up the soles of your feet and dont last long. But damn they are good shoes to skate in, extremely cheap too. I want someone to skate in a pair of Superga's if anyones heard of them. There an italian sneaker company but would be so good to skate in, very grippy. They seem to make only smaller sizes... May actually be a womens shoe, fuck it.
Here:

There is 1000s of shoes out there that are not meant for skateboarding but probably skate 100x better than any shoe stamped with the class of
"Skateboard shoe" on it. Jordan's of course would be amazing, depending on which one but if i don't recall the 1 was the most popular shoe back in the day.

[close]

I feel like a little kid wearing "skate shoes" these days. I fuck with some of the stuff in the Adidas skate line but other than that I don't really go for any of the skate brands....killing the skate industry....whatever.  I have a few pairs of Gravis stashed away from when those crazy deals were happening,  though.   

Saying that you feel like a  little kid if you wear "skate shoes" is kind of a strange statement to make if you're someone who likes skateboarding and is comfortable with that.
I don't really see anything juvenile about wearing skate shoes.

Particleboard Penguin

• Rep: 10
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
Like, what about "some of the stuff from the Adidas line" is any more grown up looking/feeling than other shoe companies? Those Superga's or whatever certainly don't look like more of a grown up shoe than any skate shoe...

Conor Thunderson

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:57 AM »
MIght have abd, but best non-skate shoes you've skated in? Nike, pre skateboard acceptance.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
OG blazers and Jordan IVs

BraveUlysses

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »

Used to get these for under $60 many years ago before they got popular again lasted forever.  The leather though was different almost like material.
I don't see how anyone could skate air forces. The sole is so thick and stiff.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Like, what about "some of the stuff from the Adidas line" is any more grown up looking/feeling than other shoe companies? Those Superga's or whatever certainly don't look like more of a grown up shoe than any skate shoe...

Discriminating adults just look at them and say: "my, that's a handsome pair of classic, understated sneakers" rather than: "who makes those monstrosities?!"

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »

can you elaborate more on these? how well do they grip, last, ect. I am debating on buying a pair of these. they look really good. thanks!

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
why not just get some vans lol!!

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
why not just get some vans lol!!
::)reasons not to get vans:
-they wear out in a week
-while breaking them in/skating them i get a layer of rubber on my grip tape
-they do not grip as well as they used to
-the material stretches out almost 2 sizes bigger(era pro)
-the heel part of the shoe rips in half. had this happen on multiple pairs of era pros and chukka lows
if those top siders are a better alternative then i am willing to try them. the grip seems like it will be better since they are designed to grip on wet surfaces. if you have any experience skating them please let me know how they skated, if not do not waste my time. peace

bobbyhillbomber

• Rep: 0
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
I grew up playing soccer, so naturally the first shoes I ever skated were indoor soccer shoes. I remember cruising in some Lottos and Sambas before I even knew there was such thing as an ollie. They're basically the same shoe, hardly any grip, but really good board feel.

Also, because I was young enough to be still be influenced by Nelly when he dropped 'Air Force Ones', I gave those a skate shot once the crispiness wore off. Felt like skating in shoes of concrete. Props to anyone who can rip in those, and mega props to Kyle James for killing it in the butter suede Tim's.

Kyle James - Ian Reid's Video

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »
Haven't skated in these yet, and they weren't made for skateboarding, but I am buying them to skate in...

Adidas Court Flex

DJSoftspot

• Rep: 0
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2013, 01:52:57 AM »

These two, always

I just got the spezial and they rub the shit out of my right heal. Was this a problem for you?

d1ggitydan

• Rep: -13
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
were Simple considered a skate brand? I use to get hand me downs from my older sister who use to skateboard.

they were awesome. it would be cool to see Simple come back in a more revitalized manner.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
Pretty sure gonz rode for them in 1994... So yes:-)

Loved those shoes

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote

These two, always
[close]

I just got the spezial and they rub the shit out of my right heal. Was this a problem for you?
I've had a bunch of pairs and it's happened on one, i just popped a bandaid on wore them til they broke in more, went away after a week or so.

SoleRacks

• Rep: -4
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »
Adidas Superstar worked pretty well for me...

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »

Loved these fuckers, Remember them lasting a good while too.

Had the red leather FC's back in 2005/6 And absolutely loved them, I know Gino had that Pearl white colourway but these were not designed for skating in mind (the ones I had were before the SB version), the mesh at the side was the first bit to get a hole in them then after that the toe gets fucked up, but while they lasted they were quality for low impact ripping!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:05:13 PM by poor alice »
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 35
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
These work boots that i have to wear for school. great control for any flip that spins a minimum of 180 degrees. straight regular flips are a no-no unless you wanna get credit carded

4wheels

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »
These work boots that i have to wear for school. great control for any flip that spins a minimum of 180 degrees. straight regular flips are a no-no unless you wanna get credit carded

is this you?
Redmond Skatepark Fight! Man Vs Skater

plod

« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here:

[close]

[close]

Saying that you feel like a  little kid if you wear "skate shoes" is kind of a strange statement to make if you're someone who likes skateboarding and is comfortable with that.
I don't really see anything juvenile about wearing skate shoes.

I have supergas I wear to work , they have a gum sole similar to a clarks shoe that is really grippy, funny I just skated to buy beer in them Friday and was thinking they are way more solid then vans,  no support but the sole is well made. I also wear clarks dessert boots to work and sometime skate to the shop in them, again the gum sole is great.

kookboi

• Rep: -12
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »
No lie i skated some sperry's for a day haha. Those things were sick on the low. But id have to go with adidas sambas, those shoes are so damn good.

2thick

• Rep: -63
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
Anyone ever try out those Polo shoes that Pops always wears? Actually look decent for low impact skating and I want to give them a try.
PS: Does anyone know the exact name of them?

logan chase

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
I started skating a pair of Nike Kill Shots recently

I got them a good few years ago and when I put them on recently
they felt like a really tight more sturdy pair of the Koston 1s for skating

http://images.inewstore.ru/201307/s-1560-cheap-nike-nike-kill-shot-2-shoes-for-men.jpg
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:41:03 PM by Jerkstore »

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2023, 05:35:22 AM »
Opinion on skating cortez?

I remember I skated them and they skated good. But you have to glue them or they won’t last more than a few days I think.

My only worries are if there’s a higher risk for injuries in them. What do you think?