Author Topic: Vert?  (Read 2895 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • I looked at my kingdom I was finally there
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Vert?
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »

Does anyone skate vert/ know anyone that skates vert/ have ever seen a vert ramp?

Because I'm pretty sure vert skating/ vert ramps doesn't/don't exist

Beautiful

• Rep: -18
Re: Vert?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:05 AM »
i entered and won a vert contest as a joke a few weeks ago. i did a bunch of kickflip frontside indys to seal the deal.

BriDen

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:10:28 AM »
Vert ramps exist; vert skating is not dead; there's a huge concrete vert bowl about 45 minutes from where I live.

Skating vert is awesome, yet scary as hell IMO.

i entered and won a vert contest as a joke a few weeks ago. i did a bunch of kickflip frontside indys to seal the deal.
Kickflip frontside indy? How did you pull that off; are you some sort of magician?

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:26:44 AM »
There's a vert ramp at our park. It's huge, and terrifying just to look at for me.
Only person I've actually seen really skate it is Tony Hawk though, on some random tour.

Doctor Handsome

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:29:38 AM »
I stayed at the DC ramp for like a week, it's scary. I can't imagine how much money it'd take to get me to drop in on it.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 02:41:28 AM »
I can scoot little rock fakies and ollies on them, but they scare the shit out of me and I haven't had the chance to skate one for a few years now - this one tme I tried to do one of those fakie 180 kickturns to rock fakie and ended up taking off into some sort of accidental cab, bailed, fell to flat and my whole leg properly twanged - it must have been so close to breaking and it stayed vibrating for a while after I'd crash landed which was a really sickening feeling and pretty off-putting!

My problem is that I've never learnt to skate with pads or even kneeslide as I never wear them, which is totally fine for every occasion except a vert ramp - it totally feels like I'm about to play russian roulette when I get near one of them

Wish I could skate them properly though, it must feel amazing - I do love mini-ramps, mainly because you can just piss around on them; vert on the other hand is pretty deadly serious

N.B there have been some really weird vert skaters over the years, needless to say. There was the whole coke-vert scene for a start, and then loads were supplement-taking jcks way before Sheckler came along - but that is a whole different topic

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:41:02 AM »
i used to practice pumping on the one in Louisville
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 06:18:52 AM »
dude, fuck vert. just think about rollin in on this

fuckingvegan

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 06:55:36 AM »
Vert is the hardest and scariest type of skating I have ever done. A lot of the parks here have vert sections that I get little scratcher grinds on, wish I could still do airs like when I was a kid.

And Beautiful I hope you where joking about FS Indy's

Beautiful

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 07:04:58 AM »
dude, kf fs indy is no joke.  i'm pretty serious about my joke skating.
just wait till the puma video drops, you salad eating bitch.

Silent Bob.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
Oh I really can't wait until the puma video drops

Oh wait, I'm lying; I'm willing to wait an eternity for this video whilst doing a perfect impression of someone who does not care. In fact I don't even know if a magazine will give it away for free out of fear that it will hurt their sales!!

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:17:33 AM »
dude, kf fs indy is no joke.  i'm pretty serious about my joke skating.
just wait till the puma video drops, you salad eating bitch.
we know youre lying because you made up a trick

i love vert, i got fs and bs grinds, well i did at one point. thats all you need. maybe a kickflip fakie 2/3s up, right before any actual "vert".  i just hate pads, and you really have to wear them if you want to actually try

beeda weeda

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
I have dropped in on vert a few times, I can't do shit though, I would like to have some pads, and a helmet if I was goign to try anything.
I do love bowls and mini ramp, but anything over 8 ft is going to require some pads.

I wish I coudl skate vert

fuckingvegan

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 07:35:02 AM »
I am guessing Beautiful is a snowboarder if he does fs indys.

rollforever

• Rep: 0
  • Never heard of it
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:01:54 AM »
god damn ah lee, that picture made my stomach cringe.
Skateboarding ruined my life

Beautiful

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »
Oh I really can't wait until the puma video drops

Oh wait, I'm lying; I'm willing to wait an eternity for this video whilst doing a perfect impression of someone who does not care. In fact I don't even know if a magazine will give it away for free out of fear that it will hurt their sales!!
they said the same thing about nike.

Silent Bob.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »
Er no, there was cynicism, a hell of a lot of talk about the ethics of Nike, but also a lot of comments revolving around the fact that Nike have a good team with diverse heads like Janoski, Wieger, Crooks, Gino, Prod and Brian Anderson (to name the first few heads that spring to mind) on the team.

When the vid came out people rightly talked shit on the skits, but were down with a lot of the skating

On the other hand I've never seen any banter about anyone anticipating the puma vid. I mean who is on the team? Scott Bourne (who I might add you talked shit on)? Ethan Fowler? Maybe a triumphant return by the almighty Donger? No hate against any of these people, but somehow I don't think people are anticipating their next part as much as a new Gino / Janoski (etc) part.

At least Nike put some effort into their video. Are Puma hyping anyhting? hell no - there's not even a mention of their skate team on their site!

Puma as anticipated as Nike? Pfff barely as anticipated as the Ninja bearings vid!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
I love vert, though I suck at it. Dropping in on a vert ramp was one of the scariest and most awesome moments in skateboarding for me. An awesome landmark. I recommend it to anybody who has the chance to ride one.
Vert ramps are dying because they are a huge liability, costly, and most of the time don't get used.
I got little slasher grind on them, baby b/s airs, and some trick that isn't really a trick where you grab the coping with your hand and slide around on the ramp. I entered the warped tour vert contest in Chicago a few years back, only about a month after dropping in the first time on it. I came in 6th, got free tickets to the concert, and was hyped. Granted, the vert scene in Chicago isn't quite the size of San Diego. Still memorable to me though.

Oh, and beaut, even though you are obviously lying, vegan's point is that an indy air is by definition backside. When done frontside its called a frontside air. And yeah, there is a difference when you try it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »
I wish I could drop in on vert.  My tranny skills are weak.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »
Learn how! It doesn't take much skill, just comfort. Just work your way up until you can drop in on an 8-9 foot ramp, then just run up to the vert ramp one day, throw your board down, and drop in without thinking about it. Next thing you know, you'll be hyped and rolling up the other wall. I kind of have a reputation amongst my friends of being the guy who gets everybody to drop in on vert, hopefully my influence will be felt over the interweb.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
I was starting to learn some vert tricks at a park that no longer exists in New Orleans (Down South Skatepark)... super fun. We have a vert and over-vert section in our local bowl at the public park, and though I skate them, I personally put bowl skating in it's own category. Our private indoor bowl doesn't quite go to vert, but the physics feel the same (it's close to vert and big). You can do back and forth skating on part of the deep end if you want to switch it up and not bowl ride (which is hard not to do since the fucker's so fun).

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
I definitely agree that a bowl with vert on it is a whole different beast than a vert ramp. Both are so fun to ride, but it ain't the same.

its all in the hips

• Rep: -6
  • Remote
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
i would love to skate vert all i can do is drop in and axl stall and fakies and there shit scary they where goning to put a vert ramp like less than a mile from my house but they never did it

skatemore,man

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »
there's a 13-14 foot cradle with a 10 foot section to drop in on at the skatepark near my house, i've hit a couple 50-50s on the coping but that's about it. My buddy jeff is one of those cats who barely skates, he'll stop for months at a time, come back skate once every couple weeks and land ridiculous shit, but anyways the 2nd time we skated the cradle he blasted kickflips over the channel like he was eating a bowl of cereal. i just dont get how motherfuckers do it.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »
wait a second, you 50'50'd a 13ft cradle? and your buddy kickflipped the channel in it?

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 12:11:59 PM »
I love skating any quarter pipe with vert on it, but a vert ramp with 2 and half feet of vert is a little too much for me.  If im ever at one, id love to try and skate it.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
wait a second, you 50'50'd a 13ft cradle? and your buddy kickflipped the channel in it?

I would assume he is talking about 50'50ing the 10 ft part not the cradle.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
I think the reasons bowls are different is because most time you drop in from a smaller area and by the time you are grinding 10ft off the ground you don't notice, where as with a vert ramp you have to commit to drop in on 12ft of ramp and it is scary, I am scared of heights and it holds back my skating, I wish I could just say fuck it and enjoy all the rad parks here in Portland more.

mikefork

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
i've dropped in on one a few times and got a couple of little backside carves/kickturns that went into a grind
at the park i go to when i am in vermont there is a vert wall that i try to take all my transition tricks to. i learned how to air on it one day, but the scariest thing is getting a good rock on it. i feel like i am going to fall straight down whenever i go to bring it back in
i wish i could do head high airs and real inverts, but like hirstyrlk, i can't knee slide. i always try and run out of whatever trick and just roll and get wrecked

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would assume he is talking about 50'50ing the 10 ft part not the cradle.

ah it all makes sense now, thanks.