Author Topic: Vert?  (Read 2896 times)

picklesickshuv-it

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vert?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
I think I have figured out beautifuls identity.  Adil Dyani, is that you, you back to back kickflip indy'er.  i knew it. what happened with reef?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »
the scariest thing is getting a good rock on it. i feel like i am going to fall straight down whenever i go to bring it back in

So true. I think for me its all fear of heights like vegan was saying. I've skated crappy little street tranny with a couple feet of vert on it and done rock fakies galore, but when the tranny actually gets mellower but a lot higher above the ground, its terrifying.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »
you guys know that isnt even beautiful, and even if it was who gives a shit. ive always wanted to drop in but never seen one. id probably pussy out but ive skated 4 foot vert extensions on mini ramps, so i probably could if i set my mind to it, which i wouldnt
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
horrifying as shit!

dropped in a couple times, and front d'd a vert bowl

Here's me and my friends about to sesh
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

toy machine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »
im still waiting to here vov's take on this.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:43:08 PM by toy machine »

BriDen

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
Granted, the vert scene in Chicago isn't quite the size of San Diego. Still memorable to me though.
I just found out that they recently closed SCRAP skatepark, the only park with a legit vert ramp anywhere around here. Not stoked to say the least.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
i wish i had the stones to skate it.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Granted, the vert scene in Chicago isn't quite the size of San Diego. Still memorable to me though.
[close]
I just found out that they recently closed SCRAP skatepark, the only park with a legit vert ramp anywhere around here. Not stoked to say the least.
THEY CLOSED SCRAP?!?!?!?!? NO!! I have been going there since I was like 12. Something inside of me died today. A small hamster. But despite such a great thing happening I'm still bummed. It seemed all bikey at the end, but the vert ramp and the memories still brought me out. First triple r, then scrap, you guys got anything left to skate over the winter?

It appears as if WARP also got rid of their vert ramp, a damn shame, because its the first I ever dropped in on.

Oh well, thats skateboarding.

BriDen

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
THEY CLOSED SCRAP?!?!?!?!? NO!! I have been going there since I was like 12. Something inside of me died today. A small hamster. But despite such a great thing happening I'm still bummed. It seemed all bikey at the end, but the vert ramp and the memories still brought me out. First triple r, then scrap, you guys got anything left to skate over the winter?

It appears as if WARP also got rid of their vert ramp, a damn shame, because its the first I ever dropped in on.

I also heard that about WARP, but I haven't been there recently. Indoor parks around Chicago (and Illinois in general) are suffering. However, there's drop-in skatepark out in new lenox; it's fun but pretty small and gets crowded fast. An "indoor" park called Audobon is out in Elk Grove Village, but the one time i went there it was all wet inside, also it's run by the park district (two 15 year old girls). Krush is still in business but I will never go there again. My friend's basement and my garage have seen many sessions lately.

skatemore,man

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wait a second, you 50'50'd a 13ft cradle? and your buddy kickflipped the channel in it?
[close]

I would assume he is talking about 50'50ing the 10 ft part not the cradle.
[close]

ah it all makes sense now, thanks.

yeah i'm the man, i got straight upside down on that shit!

no way, i was just talking about the 10foot section that leads into the cradle. there's probably 50ft of 10 foot ramp with a 5-6ft channel on the left side shortly before the cradle.

Did anyone ever skate the vert ramp that was at Skater Island? I remember learning half cab boardslides on a ground rail in the flat when i was a kid. That ramp was so beastly. Everything at that park was beastly, fuckin a. i wish i had that snake run to skate now that i know how to ride pools a bit.

mikefork

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 04:52:03 PM »
i would only skate the snake run/little bowl and the euro gap whever i went

skatemore,man

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
the 2nd to last time i skated there i was on the big roll in on the street course, i just remember it being so huge, but right in the middle of the roll a striped axle nut on my front truck fell off and my wheel went flying. i ate shit for days.

• Rep: 2
  • I looked at my kingdom I was finally there
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
THEY CLOSED SCRAP?!?!?!?!?

hahahaha (not laughing at the destruction of your childhood park, but laughing at the obscure midwest reference that I haven't heard in years.. "scrap"),

the ramp at scrap was a a few inches short of vert, pretty much an 11 footer made for bmx, but still, that was the one of the only "vert" ramps I've ever skated and dropping in still scared the hell out of me.  I just figured that park was long gone and with it my vert-istic aspirations.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:55:51 PM by 2012 »

• Rep: 48
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Maybe a triumphant return by the almighty Donger?
I seen him skating some Vox last time I skated with him.  Back to the subject at hand, Vert.  That shit is seriously crazy.  I always idolized Hosoi when I first started skateboarding and imagined myself becoming a vert wizard later on.  At least until I dropped into a vert ramp.  I made it, but damn.  It seriously feels like riding 2 wallride ramps to me.

“Skaters are rebels” Reggie Barnes
“…If we create campaigns trying to sway skateboarders they will possibly rebel against it and go even more to non branded boards”

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I also heard that about WARP, but I haven't been there recently. Indoor parks around Chicago (and Illinois in general) are suffering. However, there's drop-in skatepark out in new lenox; it's fun but pretty small and gets crowded fast. An "indoor" park called Audobon is out in Elk Grove Village, but the one time i went there it was all wet inside, also it's run by the park district (two 15 year old girls). Krush is still in business but I will never go there again. My friend's basement and my garage have seen many sessions lately.

I thought Audobon was run by this guy named Jim who had something to do with F.A. at one point.  This is a hillariously nostalgic conversation for me.
I don't know krush, might be from after I left?
Drop in is still around? I thought that park closed like 10 years ago!

Oh, and I've skated the vert ramp at skater Island. Just once though, I got family in RI.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »
Vert ramps exist; vert skating is not dead; there's a huge concrete vert bowl about 45 minutes from where I live.

Skating vert is awesome, yet scary as hell IMO.

I had a dream last night that I was skating this place with Dennis Busenitz, I love skating shit like that but in my dream i couldn't bend my legs at all, kept eating shit, and lost Busenitz respect. It sucked.

viperXL

• Rep: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »
Watching people skate vert scares the shit out of me. I have a serious fear of heights so whenever I even go cloes to the coping I freak out. The scariest thing I ever skated is the combi bowl at the vans park (I didnt even drop in). That thing is so fucking gnarly. I remember seeing Lincoln Ueda do a 10 foot mctwist out of it and I seriously feared for his life.

Vinnie

• Rep: 0
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I thought Audobon was run by this guy named Jim who had something to do with F.A. at one point.  This is a hillariously nostalgic conversation for me.

Oh, and I've skated the vert ramp at skater Island. Just once though, I got family in RI.

RI is rad, and Sid The Package got fucked in Skater Island's business dealings.

skatemore,man

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2008, 03:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

RI is rad, and Sid The Package got fucked in Skater Island's business dealings.

Why did Skater Island go under anyways? I had always heard that they weren't charging enough people to get in or something like that. The Wave dudes built my park and i know that they had a lot to with the Island, but i don't know em, just skated around the park when they were there a few times, so i never wanted to ask.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Vert ramps exist; vert skating is not dead; there's a huge concrete vert bowl about 45 minutes from where I live.

Skating vert is awesome, yet scary as hell IMO.
[close]

I had a dream last night that I was skating this place with Dennis Busenitz, I love skating shit like that but in my dream i couldn't bend my legs at all, kept eating shit, and lost Busenitz respect. It sucked.

That reminds me, 90% of all of my skate dreams I'm skating vert, but I do it well. Its funny, everybody I know either sucks or is amazing in their dreams, no middle ground.

I heard that guy Sid got screwed and all sorts of people "got back" at the Island or something? Some graffiti or some shit.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
theres a concrete vert ramp at my park. ohh hey, theres a 30 foot fullpipe too. one time i dropped in on the 10 foot part (it might not even be vert at that point) and i had such bad whaletail that my foot slipped off and i knee slide down the tran with my back leg while me front leg stayed on and did the splits
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
What is a whaletail? All I can imagine is you having an actual tail that drags behind you and slowed you down too much.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
when the edge of your tail has been ridden long enough that its not longer curved, more of a straight line. i must have been riding a hand me down board or been in a 5-0 tail drag phase
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

dave v-house

• Rep: 15
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »
When there used to be a masonite vert ramp out here I skated it a bunch. I had grinds, tailslides, airs both ways. It was really fun. I was startting to get nollie b/s airs when they tore it down. Now there is a ton of gnarly concrete vert, but it's tough to get motivated to learn on that.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe a triumphant return by the almighty Donger?
[close]
I seen him skating some Vox last time I skated with him.  Back to the subject at hand, Vert.  That shit is seriously crazy.  I always idolized Hosoi when I first started skateboarding and imagined myself becoming a vert wizard later on.  At least until I dropped into a vert ramp.  I made it, but damn.  It seriously feels like riding 2 wallride ramps to me.
Sorry man, re-reading that I was a bit of a dick there and was caught up in my mockery of Beautifull - truthfully props to Donger; he was the first I saw kickflipping park benches and had unreal pop, whilst his section with John Reeves (japans down stairs etc) will always be a classic, so apologies for the unjustified disrespect

I'll always respect anyone who can skate vert well, and am pretty sure it helps with street skating due to the speed you go; it helps you become  bit less of a pussy!