Author Topic: zaniness; behaving in a zany maner  (Read 1024 times)

sebastian toombs

zaniness; behaving in a zany maner
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »
what are your feelings on zaniness?  personally, i object to it.  but some may choose to disagree.  your thoughts on the topic are solicited

WonkaBar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: zaniness; behaving in a zany maner
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »
after some consultation with SmarterChild, i'm on the fence. some can get away with it, others can't

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »
za·ny      [zey-nee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -ni·er, -ni·est, noun, plural -nies.
–adjective
1.   ludicrously or whimsically comical; clownish.
–noun
2.   one who plays the clown or fool in order to amuse others.
3.   a comically wild or eccentric person.
4.   a secondary stock character in old comedies who mimicked his master.
5.   a professional buffoon; clown.
6.   a silly person; simpleton.
7.   a slavish attendant or follower.
[Origin: 1560–70; (< MF) < It zan(n)i (later zanno) a servant character in the commedia dell’arte, perh. orig. the character's name, the Upper Italian form of Tuscan Gianni, for Giovanni John]

—Related forms
za·ni·ly, adverb
za·ni·ness, za·ny·ism, noun
za·ny·ish, adjective

Based on my limited research, I would have to say there's a time and a place for everything. Although, most of these definitions have somewhat negative connotations.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2554
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:59:15 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:13:37 AM »
I think there's a few different kinds of zaniness.

First, the children's tv show host.  Usually a pretty zany character.  High energy, high excitement, perhaps something we don't know?  Possibly a descendent of the zany teenager who wore fedoras to school.

Next, the zany schoolteacher.  Usually incorporates props and practical jokes into science lessons.  Not to be confused with the wacky schoolteacher, the zany schoolteacher seems to try to hard to sink to the level of grade schoolers.

Lastly, the zany dad.  Will embarass you at every opportunity.  Goes overboard on any sort of holliday and wears novelty ties to work.  He's an accountant but one day dreams of opening a joke shop.

On rare occasions, a truly zany human may go through all three phases of zaniness, thus becoming a triple zaner. 

Also, there are reformed zanesters who walk among us, having cured themselves of all zaniness.  These include Billy Zane and Robin Zander of Cheap Trick.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »
zany lifestyle shots from regional videos are generally vomit enducing

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »
I consider myself to be a little zany, off the wall if you will.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »
I think there's a few different kinds of zaniness.

First, the children's tv show host.  Usually a pretty zany character.  High energy, high excitement, perhaps something we don't know?  Possibly a descendent of the zany teenager who wore fedoras to school.

Next, the zany schoolteacher.  Usually incorporates props and practical jokes into science lessons.  Not to be confused with the wacky schoolteacher, the zany schoolteacher seems to try to hard to sink to the level of grade schoolers.

Lastly, the zany dad.  Will embarass you at every opportunity.  Goes overboard on any sort of holliday and wears novelty ties to work.  He's an accountant but one day dreams of opening a joke shop.

On rare occasions, a truly zany human may go through all three phases of zaniness, thus becoming a triple zaner. 

Also, there are reformed zanesters who walk among us, having cured themselves of all zaniness.  These include Billy Zane and Robin Zander of Cheap Trick.
This post was golden.