Author Topic: art school i dunno slap pals help me  (Read 2751 times)

////////////

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
art school i dunno slap pals help me
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »
ok i have to make some life decisions boys+michael vikkktoria.
i kinda sorta wanna go to art school to learn from real art teachers and not high school bozos.
i'll probably apply at emily carr in vancouver because i already meet the requirements and it's probably the best school in my region (from what ive been told) and affordable compared to going to school in the usa.
my other option is to not go to art school, find a good paying job in alberta and kill myself, and of course do art on the side.
the reason i want to go so i can have the proper materials and what not at my finger tips and be taught art properly. and be willing to learn.
i also want to go for networking opportunities and to help get my foot in the door in the real art world.
my big concerns is:
is it going to be a waste of money?
will i really learn anything?
will it actually get me a "career" in the art industry?
is being an artist man a really good decision?

i'm pretty scared that i'm going to spend a bunch of money and end up hating what i'm doing and hating all the shitty stereotypical art fag hipsters that would surround me. so if anyone can tell me from their experience or even try and put themselves in my shoes, just tell me whats up cuz i dunno, i'm dumb ok. :-\

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
Re: art school i dunno slap pals help me
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:58 PM »
yeah man. i've always been scared of that too. spending all this money at college to find out it's pretty much impossible to get a job. my friend went to school for photography and ended up walking out after the first week because it was such bullshit. it's hard to teach a person art. they can teach techniques and junk like that. but it's all creativity. rather it will help you get a job with having a college reputation that depends on what job you would be looking for. either way good luck man.

og de souzas legs

• Rep: 3
  • if boner lasts more than 4 hours, call more ladies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »
art school can teach the basic shit you probably could read out of a book. artistic talent comes from yourself and various inspirations and experiences (art school could be one of those experiences i know) but i really dont know how art school works, i've never been. but from the surface i see it, it seems to be not worth the money.

SR Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »
go to a non art specific school and take art classes as well as other ones.

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 421
    • journal blog.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »

my big concerns is:
is it going to be a waste of money? no, because you'll have an art degree so people will think you're "creative".
will i really learn anything? no
will it actually get me a "career" in the art industry? yeah.
is being an artist man a really good decision? i heard that you have to work a lot.

i'm pretty scared that i'm going to spend a bunch of money and end up hating what i'm doing and hating all the shitty stereotypical art fag hipsters that would surround me. so if anyone can tell me from their experience or even try and put themselves in my shoes, just tell me whats up cuz i dunno, i'm dumb ok. :-\

art skool is wack but its fun and you'll learn nothing. you should go.
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »
neckface went to art school for 2 years, but he reportedly dropped out because it "sucked dick"
"I FEAR NO MAN"

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 421
    • journal blog.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »
you just need to think of it as a joke.
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

////////////

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
and the state of california hates neckface because he "sucked dick"

thanks tonybaby
thats the kind of answers i was looking for.
oh yeah, my long term goal is to be really famous for nothing in particular

sebastian toombs

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »

i also want to go for networking opportunities and to help get my foot in the door in the real art world.
my big concerns is:
is it going to be a waste of money?
will i really learn anything?
will it actually get me a "career" in the art industry?
is being an artist man a really good decision?

networking:  true, so long as you want to do interesting things and think interesting thoughts, and are sociable...  and there are a lot of fucked up rules to play by.

waste of money:  probably.  thats why id say go to a unviersity for art school.  if you dont like the way its going after 1st or 2nd year, you can transfer to something else.  like history

learn anything:  yes, but only if you are willing to be self-directed in a lot of ways.  you need to be enthusiastic to learn things on your own while using courses and teachers (and other students) to give you directions to explore

career:  only if you learn a trade like framing, hanging, or some such shit.  get a job at opus on granville island...  the latest generation of vancouver art stars all worked there 7 or 8 years ago  (gergley, bubas, terada, etc)

good decision:  if you goal is to get an education, but not necessarily a job, then it will probably be a good decision.  but, if its the other way around ($ first, education second) then you should go to a trade or technical school, or take business or sciences at university instead.

you didnt ask, but id say take a year off to skate, read, do art, travel, work, learn a trade, etc.  youve been in school for 12 years in a row, why not take a break?  see if you can work something out with your family: go to school in 2009-10 after a year's rest, part-time work, looking after the house, etc

ps.  uvic and ubc have good art departments too, and you have more opportunity to leaern other stuff.  ECIAD really deep but also really narrow, intellectually speaking

pps.  what about UBC okanagan for 1st year, then transfer down to vancouver?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:18:09 PM by sebastian toombs »

////////////

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »
thanks a alot sebastian, i was actually going to pm you about this because i knew you would have the most knowledgeable response.
 i THINK i've pretty well decided this is something i should do with my life because, really, money isn't a big concern to me. i want to do something i enjoy doing and at least make a whole hearted attempt at being able to do it and be able to support myself at the same time.
i THINK i'm going to take a semester off, giving me 6 months to prepare a serious looking portfolio, and that will give me time to apply for some scholarships and work. there is an opus here in kelowna. and i do need a part-time job at the moment. so if you think it's a place to be, i might as well drop off a resume there in the next few days. it could work out for the better in the future.
once again, thanks pals for making feel more comfortable with making serious decisions. (NOHOMO)

Noboru

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:25:37 PM »
if you go to art school, then go to one in new york city, its the center of the art world so you will learn a lot and make alot of connections, on the downside since its new york its full of hipsters and its very very expensive to live there, so unless you take it very seriously take the individual effort to make something out of it, then yes it will just be a waste.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
a ton of my friends go to emily carr or did go. none are in the general arts program, i dont know what your really going to focus on. a lot of it is up to the teachers, some of them are complete spaced out fuckwads and you are basically going solo and trying to not explode at the teacher a lot of the time. in the film program its just one guy who teaches most of the classes, so if he sucks then your pretty much fucked.

id agree with sebastian, the kind of people you want to network with to succeed in a career aspect are going to be found there and at shows there. people you want to network with just because you love art are going to be found at universities or even kwantlen and other colleges. doesnt go for everyone, but a ton of the people at emily carr are just over the top bullshit with no depth, aka hipsters. one of my friends who transferred from kwantlen to emily carr wishes he never did, but its going to be different for everyone. you're definately gonna have a lot of good materials to work with there, but the inspiration you're going to have to find for yourself, it can be really frustrating there.
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 340
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33:48 PM »
Depending on what you're interested in going into or what kind of art you do, a university art program can end up being helpful by giving you real world jobs to apply your skills where you'll be able to pull a consistent paycheck.  Plus, like Sebastian said you can always transfer into something else at a university and end up with a more useful degree.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »
yeah...i'd take it slow.....go work for a bit...travel...make a bit of money....yeah...get grants...or hopefully you have money cause taking a big student loan out to go to artschool is not a good move....it just isn't....just take a little one out....

most people i know who went to art school talk shit about it......but somehow don't regret that they did it....

i know someone who did the ubc program and really liked it....you're still in vancouver...you still learn shit...but it's less of a scene.... i think in vancouver at least..if you want to make connections...you can....

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 340
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »
Oh yeah, and if you can't stomach dealing with "stereotypical art fag hipsters" you probably shouldn't go to art school.  I take some art classes on the side at a university (so it's not even the full blown art scene) and the levels of pretension are unreal.

skatemore,man

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 11:40:23 PM »
this dude lucas argrew that i used to skate with got rejected from art school because of bad grades and he's now selling his art and travelling around. it looks like he's making some good money doing what he loves without a degree. You can google lucas argrew and you'll see some good stuff, many mediums...

All the kids i know who went to art school kind of sucked at life with the exception of a couple ladies that ended up blowing glass.
One night i was at MassArt with my friend Aimee who lived there and we were tripping hard. In the elevator all i could see were these stupid art hipster kids wearing tight jeans and bandanas on the legs and wrists and i starting laughing and asked them all "do you like fugazi? this is art school, you better know who fugazi is." it was hysterical.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 11:42:14 PM »
There are a lot of "neckfaces" here in Toronto. They all do the same thing.

1. Go to OCAD for a year.
2. Drop out because everyone's "pretentious".
3. Start a) graffiti or b) modeling your own ugly t-shirts

Most of these dudes end up failing at life anyway.

The ones I've seen succeed are the ones who (as s.t. said earlier) network well. They normally network with people they actually like, and do better off without sucking a lot of dick. It never hurts to volunteer places either.

Most people have a job in art because they fucking love it, and treat it like a slutty girlfriend, where they'd pound anyone's head in if they looked at her wrong, but then dump the next day and get back together that night.

Just don't care and don't be afraid to fail.

////////////

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 11:43:49 PM »
i've gone to some pretty serious hipster parties in vancouver to steal girls. it's not that i can't deal with them or anything. i just get annoyed with people who can't be themselves. but it almost might be an advantage to be in that environment because it's easy to manipulate your situation when dealing with a bunch of fakers.
the only real artist guy i met in vancouver is some dude who is the guy who is behind "the chair factory" studio, typical hipster. i have no idea if it or he has any significance to the vancouver art scene but he seemed like a decent enough guy and told me mostly what you guys are telling me. who knows.

Giant red curb

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »
If you know what field you want to work in then start working. lets say just for example, you want to design skateboards. then design skateboards. tons of em. some with companys in mind some with your own ideas. shoot em off to those companys and ask advise. most artist at are pretty open minded ppl and can help you learn what you need to know about that line of work. if you have running relationships with artist that have and know what it takes to have gotten there jobs, then you will have the best insight of all. ask questions and practice technique. If you think you need hands on training then by all means go to school and get it. or if professionals in the field of your interested tell you that you will need a degree to have a chance. talk to ppl first though. Most designers in skateboarding are self taught.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 11:53:53 PM »

3. Start a) graffiti or b) modeling your own ugly t-shirts

two absolutely fatal signs that you are are a dabbler and a dilletante, rather than an artist...  im not saying that is fair, or right, but no one will ever take you seriously if you start playing with that shit.  just say no, or, if you need to do it for fun or money, do it anonymously.   TSHIRTS HAVE NO PLACE IN ART PORTFOLIOS.   sorry if im hurting anyones feelings, but there is a distinction between 'art' and 'graphics' or 'design'

////////////

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
i'm no shitty toronto wish-i-lived-in-nyc hipster, you know that

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 11:57:26 PM »
i've gone to some pretty serious hipster parties in vancouver to steal girls. it's not that i can't deal with them or anything. i just get annoyed with people who can't be themselves. but it almost might be an advantage to be in that environment because it's easy to manipulate your situation when dealing with a bunch of fakers.
the only real artist guy i met in vancouver is some dude who is the guy who is behind "the chair factory" studio, typical hipster. i have no idea if it or he has any significance to the vancouver art scene but he seemed like a decent enough guy and told me mostly what you guys are telling me. who knows.

Most of these nerds don't get any further than "Get me my coffee" jobs anyway. Either that, or they dress up a little and turn into "young professionals".

A friend of mine was a comic artist for years. Always told he sucked because of his style. Now, he's a storyboard artist for films and commericals. Gets paid hefty too. His skill was that he drew fast and well. Then, he found a field for it.

I always suggest to try everything, and find your strengths.

As I've found, my weakness is politicking and negotiation. I didn't realize it was such a virtue in my field until later on. Apparently, it's necessary in all fields.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »

Yeah, you're a West Coast pot smoking what the fuck are stars made of hippie.... Just kidding.

God, this place is tainted with hipsters that look half femme. Is it that bad out there too?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:35 AM »

ha, could be almost anywhere these days...   half the skate companies, half the skate shops, half the skate mags...   even some of my faves, but whatever.  shit was already a caricature of itself three years ago

sebastian toombs

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »
hes from kelowna, so he must be a red dragon / black box / swollen members / motocross hybrid...   right?

////////////

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »
yeah i'm wearing a rds flexfit with my circa sneakers.
listening to the latest mad child unreleased track from 2002.
but seriously, when i was in vancouver, i met a guy from kelowna and all i had to do was pretend like i knew sheldon meleshinski and the guy bought me beer all night.

vicky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • brofessional
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 04:34:06 AM »
i go to art school, and its not true you dont learn anything in art school that you cant figure out yourself. im a printmaking major and theres no way i would of known how to etch a stone or a plate, use a press or letterpress, intaglio, and all that technical stuff that is pretty much impossible to learn from just reading a book or looking it up. even my screen printing has gotten better since high school because of classes and internships that were made available to me. i also probably wouldnt of grown that much in my subject matter and my thesis without school

but a lot of school is bullshit so you should just get a log cabin and hang out far away from people.
we could get matching halter tops and do kickturns over the dick at fdr, people wouldn't know what to do. I would be a c cup massacre.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 05:39:57 AM »
a ton of my friends go to emily carr or did go. none are in the general arts program, i dont know what your really going to focus on. a lot of it is up to the teachers, some of them are complete spaced out fuckwads and you are basically going solo and trying to not explode at the teacher a lot of the time. in the film program its just one guy who teaches most of the classes, so if he sucks then your pretty much fucked.

id agree with sebastian, the kind of people you want to network with to succeed in a career aspect are going to be found there and at shows there. people you want to network with just because you love art are going to be found at universities or even kwantlen and other colleges. doesnt go for everyone, but a ton of the people at emily carr are just over the top bullshit with no depth, aka hipsters. one of my friends who transferred from kwantlen to emily carr wishes he never did, but its going to be different for everyone. you're definately gonna have a lot of good materials to work with there, but the inspiration you're going to have to find for yourself, it can be really frustrating there.

I cant believe i just read all that...coming from you.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 469
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 06:04:51 AM »
go to a non art specific school and take art classes as well as other ones.

Best advice on here... I'd find a liberal arts school that has an excellent art program and get a BA in art. You'll have the best of both worlds; solid training in art and a degree you can use.

That's what I did and by the time I was a senior all my art classes were "open studio" where I'd do commissioned pieces and get graded on them. I made enough money to pay for a couple years of college. But I hated the business side of it and hated having the people who paid me have a hand in my art.

So when I graduated I decided to leave it behind and go overseas and teach, which I could do because I had a Bachelors degree. So I sent to Slovakia for two years. Then after that I went and taught college in China for two years. All the while I did art for myself and was really happy. And I couldn't have done all that shit, or be in the career I'm in now if I had just gone to a straight art school.

Sorry for the novel--take it for what it's worth

Bender

• Rep: 2
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
Jr college homie. You can usually take really good art classes there (at least at the local one here you can) and you don't have to drop six figures on an art school "education"
Them shits are ridiculously overpriced anyway.