Author Topic: art school i dunno slap pals help me  (Read 2750 times)

loophole

Re: art school i dunno slap pals help me
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 06:31:39 AM »
what about if you want to do film? i'm super into cinematography, but i also want to do a lot of editing/photography/creative writing maybe even journalism

actually
i'd love to do anything art related but i'm quite sure cinematography's my gig

i'm looking at san fran academy of art... yeah?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »
hes from kelowna, so he must be a red dragon / black box / swollen members / motocross hybrid...   right?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 08:40:32 AM »
urgh, way back when i went out with this girl who was cousin...   

i thought maybe you were going to link to ryan smith's "skate canada" part...   that would be of interest to a lot of people here!

woody

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »
go to a non art specific school and take art classes as well as other ones.
This is what I'm doing. I'm majoring in art and have the same sort of concerns as you. I feel like art schools probably prepare you better for a career because they show you more specific techniques for illustration or graphic design or something, wheras at my school its like you can do whatever you want and the teacher is like a guide. I do think it is helpful to have a teacher though even though you can't really "teach" art in the same way as other subjects.
let me just name a few of the hammers in this video...

////////////

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
quick draw mcgraw
im going to art school

Steve Zissou

• Rep: 9
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
good choice i wish i wasn't horrible at art.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
if art school is the thing, then ECIAD is a pretty good choice...    just make sure to differentiate between those who are creative and/or seriously into art, and those who are there because they think its the cool, rebellious, freedom child thing to do.

ps.  you do decide to go there, it might actually be a mistake to wait until 2009-10 because of the devastating effect the olympics will have on the affordability of rental housing in the city.   do you have any family of friends there you can stay with?

People need People because of other People

• Rep: 2
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
Frankenberry, what are you looking into?

I'm currently enrolled in an art school, SAIC. I know nothing about the school's in Canada so I can't help you in your decisions their. If finance is a major concern in your decision making, then I advice going to a community college for ONE year, taking as many liberal art classes you can while taking the basic art courses of 2D, 3D, and 4D classes. This way you can get out of whichever art school's first year core program and go straight to taking the classes of your "degree" of interest. Once you finish busting your ass at that shitty school, transfer to an art school. Remember to apply for as many grants as possible.

Education wise. I don't know. Just come to an understanding about what your trying to accomplish. why is it that you want to be an artist? oh, your a painter too, rad, why did you choose painting over printmaking. we all know the great irony in teaching is that you learn as much as you put into, but who your instructor is really does matter. make sure you know who the teachers are and familiarize yourself with their practice and pick the ones who respond best to your work.

there will always be those rich art students who are really apathetic and are in art school because it's their only alternative to a from going to a real university. stay away from them...

Noboru

• Rep: 8
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »
Frankenberry, what are you looking into?

I'm currently enrolled in an art school, SAIC. I know nothing about the school's in Canada so I can't help you in your decisions their. If finance is a major concern in your decision making, then I advice going to a community college for ONE year, taking as many liberal art classes you can while taking the basic art courses of 2D, 3D, and 4D classes. This way you can get out of whichever art school's first year core program and go straight to taking the classes of your "degree" of interest. Once you finish busting your ass at that shitty school, transfer to an art school. Remember to apply for as many grants as possible.

Education wise. I don't know. Just come to an understanding about what your trying to accomplish. why is it that you want to be an artist? oh, your a painter too, rad, why did you choose painting over printmaking. we all know the great irony in teaching is that you learn as much as you put into, but who your instructor is really does matter. make sure you know who the teachers are and familiarize yourself with their practice and pick the ones who respond best to your work.

there will always be those rich art students who are really apathetic and are in art school because it's their only alternative to a from going to a real university. stay away from them...

nice avatar, steven parrino is one of my favorites, a shame he died so early...

^
also this guy knows what he is talking about.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:00:56 PM by Noboru »

lenny

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
what about if you want to do film? i'm super into cinematography, but i also want to do a lot of editing/photography/creative writing maybe even journalism

actually
i'd love to do anything art related but i'm quite sure cinematography's my gig

i'm looking at san fran academy of art... yeah?

I am in the digital film making and video production bachelor's program at the art institute of Colorado. I really enjoy it, and i've found everything we've done so far extremely interesting and informative. they teach us Editing on final cut pro 6, i've had classes on illustrator, photoshop after effects, not to mention the video production classes where we use the panasonic dvx-100's and the P2's. plus there are Art institutes all over the country, i'm transferring to the one in San Fran next fall. 
Basically, if your really into film making, camera work, editing, or production in general, its a really good choice.

leadpencil

• Rep: 18
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:46 PM »
If you have ever heard of Shawn Barber, he has a great F.A.Q. about starting out as an artist. http://www.sdbarber.com/pages/faq_pg.html Its a long read, but trust me its got a lot of good questions answered. I'm too am going to try to get accepted into an art school (RCAD), and its a pretty big decision, and honestly, I'm not sure if I love art enough to be a long time career, which is hard and brutal, but I don't want to regret never trying. Good luck though

woody

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
Jr college homie. You can usually take really good art classes there (at least at the local one here you can) and you don't have to drop six figures on an art school "education"
Them shits are ridiculously overpriced anyway.
Thats what I wish I did. Would of saved a bunch of money and I doubt it would have made much of difference in the quality of my education.
let me just name a few of the hammers in this video...

////////////

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »
thanks guys i've got it pretty figured out now