Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 44562 times)

BootsWithTheFerg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #690 on: March 29, 2024, 05:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Trying to get back into the game, but some of the basic aspects of it like cruising and transition still feel so off.
Like you turn tighter the faster you go, how have they still not fixed that?
[close]

I’m guessing you play on Switch right? That aspect of turning isn’t really a problem if you’re using triggers that you can 1/2 press, 1/4 press, 1/8th press etc whatever that style of button is called as opposed to the Switch’s triggers that are binary like every other button

Nah he's right there's definitely an issue on console atleast cause I'm on Xbox and no amount if slider tweaking will change how unpredictable the bank rate and bank rate while crouching are on this game especially when you increase speeds. Theres no sweet spot. The game really needs features similar to what games with racing wheels use. The ability to modify the sensitivy saturation and deadzones on the triggers themselves would be tight. The least the ability to see what the game is registering at 1/4 or 1/2 1/8 input like most racing games have and the ability to tweak those values as well. I get session isn't a racing game but alot of the stuff that separates sim racing games from games that try to be sim racing games is the tweaking of the actual racing wheel/controllers. If session had something similar in place itd solve so much of the games problems when it comes to how unpredictable the inputs can be at times. I don't want people getting this confused with sliders again those are great and do go along way in provding a good feeling product but also they really don't mean shit if you can't adjust the sensitivy of the sticks or sensitivy of the triggers. It's one of my biggest complaints with the game turning is dog shit regadless what sweet spot you find. Still love the game but it's definitely something they should have worked on and eventually put in the game.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #691 on: March 31, 2024, 03:08:39 PM »
Would anyone be interested in doing an X Games Real Street style video contest? It would basically be an X Games Real Street, but in Sesssion. Parts 1:00 - 1:30 long. We could do a poll to vote on the top 3.

Would anyone be interested in doing this? Could be fun.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #692 on: April 01, 2024, 05:52:36 AM »

My latest part/edit. All at a new mod map called Downtown 3.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #693 on: April 02, 2024, 10:45:05 AM »

the manual to backlip was sick! I can never get the modded maps to load... I'll download and install them but they never show up in game. what am I doing wrong?

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #694 on: April 02, 2024, 11:03:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the manual to backlip was sick! I can never get the modded maps to load... I'll download and install them but they never show up in game. what am I doing wrong?

Thank you! Do you have Session mod manager installed? That's what you need to install and access mod maps.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #695 on: April 02, 2024, 12:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thank you! Do you have Session mod manager installed? That's what you need to install and access mod maps.

I have the mod manager installed and actively use the clothes and deck mods, but for whatever reason, the maps don't work... from what I understand, when you install a modded map, it replaces one of the maps in the game, correct?

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #696 on: April 02, 2024, 01:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the mod manager installed and actively use the clothes and deck mods, but for whatever reason, the maps don't work... from what I understand, when you install a modded map, it replaces one of the maps in the game, correct?

Hm that's strange, not sure why the maps aren't working for you. The modded maps don't replace anything, they're just an additional option. When I boot up a mod map in SMM I double-click on the map name and at the bottom of SMM it says "map name" loaded, and then I click start session.

There is a weird glitch that may be affecting you that I just remembered. Depending on what map you played last, it may just load that instead of the mod map. If it doesn't boot up the map you want, then go into the in-game location selection menu and choose a NYC location like Brooklyn Banks. Idk why, but doing that will load the mod map.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #697 on: April 02, 2024, 09:23:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hm that's strange, not sure why the maps aren't working for you. The modded maps don't replace anything, they're just an additional option. When I boot up a mod map in SMM I double-click on the map name and at the bottom of SMM it says "map name" loaded, and then I click start session.

There is a weird glitch that may be affecting you that I just remembered. Depending on what map you played last, it may just load that instead of the mod map. If it doesn't boot up the map you want, then go into the in-game location selection menu and choose a NYC location like Brooklyn Banks. Idk why, but doing that will load the mod map.

@Gnarfunkell - thanks for the tips man. I'll try that out tonight. I had a ps4 controller for a few months and it was so difficult to play I pretty much stopped playing for a few months. I bought an xbox controller a week or two ago and am totally hooked again. all the edits that are posted have got me inspired to. I'm working hard on something new!

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #698 on: April 03, 2024, 03:41:09 AM »

my first attempt at a "real" edit.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #699 on: April 03, 2024, 05:28:39 AM »

Definitely better than my first edit lol. If you keep at it you'll get comfortable with the replay keyframes and filming smooth realistic clips will be a breeze.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #700 on: April 03, 2024, 06:15:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Definitely better than my first edit lol. If you keep at it you'll get comfortable with the replay keyframes and filming smooth realistic clips will be a breeze.

@Gnarfunkell - Thanks for watching... I'm glad you brought keyframes up... when making that, I noticed for the first time that there are different keyframes: linear, smooth, and constant. I used all linear keyframes because I'm not sure what the other ones do or how they work. I would accidentally bump into another keyframe type while editing and it would make everything go super wonky, so I stuck to the green linear keyframes. I'll watch a tutorial on it today.

oh, I figured out what I was doing wrong with the custom maps. I would click, "install map," but they wouldn't install. I realized I had to right-click -> download in browser -> then import the zip file into the session mod manager -> start session from the mod manager. I felt pretty silly after I realized that's all I had to do, haha.

In the mod manager, only the first 3 or 4 items that are listed to install (like the first 3 tee shirts) are showing a preview. For example, when choosing a custom map to install, only the first two showed a preview in the right-hand window. Is anyone else running into this issue?

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #701 on: April 03, 2024, 06:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@Gnarfunkell - Thanks for watching... I'm glad you brought keyframes up... when making that, I noticed for the first time that there are different keyframes: linear, smooth, and constant. I used all linear keyframes because I'm not sure what the other ones do or how they work. I would accidentally bump into another keyframe type while editing and it would make everything go super wonky, so I stuck to the green linear keyframes. I'll watch a tutorial on it today.

I only ever use the smooth keyframes because they help make the transition between keyframes look more natural and less jerky/twitchy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 09:59:25 AM by Gnarfunkell »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #702 on: April 03, 2024, 03:41:14 PM »
I really hate editing, just wish there was a good 'filmer' mode that replicated someone filming you, popped it into a longer  timeline and you could just finesse it, or export it as clips for your editing software and upload directly to a central server / youtube metatagged so you could press  select and choose  to watch peoples  clips connected directly to the spot youre at.  I don't  care  to watch videos of session on youtube, but would definitely  watch it if it  was part of the game and  notified you when  your friends did an edit.  I hate how bad games are at forming communities. 

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #703 on: April 04, 2024, 09:34:48 AM »
I go to rewatch any successful line or trick I do in the replay editor and look at it from all angles, but never had to temptation to try to edit a single clip with all the hassle of moving the camera and keypoints etc etc. Used to do a little of it back in EA Skate, but now it's just not appealing at all partially because I know I would be a perfectionist with it too and just don't have that kind of time.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #704 on: April 05, 2024, 09:07:30 AM »
I really hate editing, just wish there was a good 'filmer' mode that replicated someone filming you, popped it into a longer  timeline and you could just finesse it, or export it as clips for your editing software and upload directly to a central server / youtube metatagged so you could press  select and choose  to watch peoples  clips connected directly to the spot youre at.  I don't  care  to watch videos of session on youtube, but would definitely  watch it if it  was part of the game and  notified you when  your friends did an edit.  I hate how bad games are at forming communities.

I use the gameplay camera in the editor for this specifically. Put in the key frames where you want the finessing. L1/LB to enter in montage mode, then free camera. You can tweak the camera, update the keyframe, and scrub the lifeline forward (L2/LT) and backward (L1/LB) to see the changes. If you mess up, just go back to game camera, ad the keyframe, and tweak it again.

Using the game camera as a starting point gives you a good momentum without the janky or sudden movements. I tend to lower the camera closer to ground as a starting point. I might move left/right, depending on the approach of the trick. I might nudge the camera forward if I want a good, underneath shot of a grind. Throw in a camera roll for some extra flair.

Once you're used to it, you can start or end from a tripod or stationary and then add in the movement using the gameplay camera. Ramp up or down speed here can take some extra practice.

At the least, this should give a decent starting point for editing as if the camera is skating behind to your player.

Mywm

• Rep: 9
« Reply #705 on: April 05, 2024, 11:18:44 AM »
I've been thinkering with stats for a while now, I think I arrived at something that will last for a while. What I can't get right are the gameplay camera settings.
I'm experimenting with high camera angles and for me they work better for cruising around and shit (I hate getting stuck on random shit because my character is covering half of the screen from a low angle), but it makes it hard to judge distance while approaching obstacles. I wish there was some way to swap between two camera profiles.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2024, 05:18:56 PM »
I've been playing the Beach mod map and it is insane! massive map with a lot of fun spots. high recommend it.

has anyone else played that crazy red bull map? if you have, does it lag like crazy when you play it? I have a high performance PC and can run everything at max settings, but that map lags for me for some reason. I've tried changing the settings and frame rate and it does nothing.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2024, 06:23:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I use the gameplay camera in the editor for this specifically. Put in the key frames where you want the finessing. L1/LB to enter in montage mode, then free camera. You can tweak the camera, update the keyframe, and scrub the lifeline forward (L2/LT) and backward (L1/LB) to see the changes. If you mess up, just go back to game camera, ad the keyframe, and tweak it again.

Using the game camera as a starting point gives you a good momentum without the janky or sudden movements. I tend to lower the camera closer to ground as a starting point. I might move left/right, depending on the approach of the trick. I might nudge the camera forward if I want a good, underneath shot of a grind. Throw in a camera roll for some extra flair.

Once you're used to it, you can start or end from a tripod or stationary and then add in the movement using the gameplay camera. Ramp up or down speed here can take some extra practice.

At the least, this should give a decent starting point for editing as if the camera is skating behind to your player.
Thanks for this!  Top tips.

P00syDestroyer

• Rep: 0
  • Prepare
    • My personal website avatar image
« Reply #708 on: April 21, 2024, 09:08:27 AM »
didn't know that they added skate 3 controls

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #709 on: April 22, 2024, 06:12:48 AM »

They've had them since alpha if I remember correctly, "classic controls".
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #710 on: April 22, 2024, 11:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They've had them since alpha if I remember correctly, "classic controls".

I thought they took them out though. Now that they're back I can finally convince my friends to download it, not many of them are interested in learning the control scheme despite my pleas that it's more accurate and more fun once you get the hang of it

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?