Author Topic: What was the last video game you played?  (Read 556332 times)

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 99
Re: What was the last video game you played?
« Reply #3270 on: August 14, 2018, 06:27:20 AM »
i fucking suck at gungeon i guess. i've made it to the fourth level boss so far. i think i could make it if i kept playing, but it's not that fun going through the earlier levels, and taking the shortcuts leaves you weaker and makes the game even harder...

if you like top down shooter roguelites like isaac and gungeon you might enjoy nuclear throne as well.

spelunky is a platform roguelike that is a classic. i think there is even still a free version out there.

i can also recommend dungeon of the endless, which is somewhat of a hybrid of a roguelike, rpg, management and tower defense. really interesting and great artstyle and humor.

risk of rain is one of my favorite games ever, it's fucking awesome. it's not much of a looker, but once you get into it, it gets so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjIJevomQy0

RoR is amazing, really loved that one.

As for recommendations I´d suggest checking out Dead Cells. It´s not a top down like a lot of roguelike games mentioned in here but I think you guys would like it. It´s a sidescroller with solid art style, fluid and fair combat and tough as nails. Another game in this category would be Ascendant.

Another one which is different and I really enjoyed was Everspace because I have been into space dogfighting since Wing Commander and the Tie Fighter games.

The most recent top down shooter I played and enjoyed was Heroes of Hammerwatch. Cool game, but for me the permanent progression was too slow and I only have a few hours a week to dump into videogames so i ditched it.

And to answer to the thread. I played Days of Infamy for an hour to get myself hyped for Insurgency Sandstorm.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin

feedmeseymour

« Reply #3272 on: August 14, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »

forgot about this one, kinda old at this point but was awesome to play through, has such a good look to it too.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #3273 on: August 16, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

forgot about this one, kinda old at this point but was awesome to play through, has such a good look to it too.

Loved Limbo...got to some spider boss/section and had to give up

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #3274 on: August 26, 2018, 12:40:43 AM »

Goonies II on Nes. An exhausting back and forth romp.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3275 on: August 27, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
i just bought this. it's awesome. highly recommended for fans of mid to late 90s shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsu9uDMlIMM

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #3276 on: August 27, 2018, 02:50:56 PM »
Looks super fun. Apparently it's hitting the Switch at some point, so I'll probably grab it. Seems like the release date is still TBA tho

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #3277 on: August 28, 2018, 04:24:13 AM »
Hollow Knight. Rayman meets Dark Souls equals not much else than playing for the past few days.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3278 on: August 28, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
baron samedi, yeah, you should get it for sure! a very addictive game. i like the graphical style, too. it's kind of goofy but also weirdly creepy at the same time. the sound and music are awesome as well. for me it was worth the asking price on steam already. i just finished the first episode in about 2 hours and i will probably replay it several times. i already started going through it again on a harder difficulty.

garth marenghi, i almost bought hollow night as well since it was on sale, but ultimately skipped it spontaneously because i've been wanting to play dusk for so long and was like fuck it. i plan to get it bundled up with all the dlc at some point in the future.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3279 on: August 30, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »
http://lichess.org/

Free chess got me all fucked up.
Anybody else on here?

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3280 on: August 30, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
Just beat Xeodrifter, pretty short at 4 to 6 hours. Got a bit frustrating in a few spots but it's a pretty easy game overall. Simplistic metroidvania. They really could have made it more intuitive, you have no direction of which of the 4 levels to begin at and I finished the game missing several health and gun upgrades.

Slappy Gilmore

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3281 on: September 03, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »
Kingdom hearts :)))

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3282 on: September 03, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »
Stayed at my mom's house last weekend and dug out my SMS and Genesis.

Played Black Belt, The Ninja, and Kenseiden on the SMS (only beat Kenseiden).

Played Mystic Defender, Revenge of Shinobi, Strider, Gunstar Heroes, and El Viento on Genesis. Didn't beat Strider. Forgot El Viento even existed.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #3283 on: September 04, 2018, 03:10:17 AM »
Stayed at my mom's house last weekend and dug out my SMS and Genesis.

Played Black Belt, The Ninja, and Kenseiden on the SMS (only beat Kenseiden).

Played Mystic Defender, Revenge of Shinobi, Strider, Gunstar Heroes, and El Viento on Genesis. Didn't beat Strider. Forgot El Viento even existed.

Nice! Haven't tried Kenseiden or El Viento. Have you played Dahna Megami Tanjou?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftYENhebTM

A friend had a repro of the unreleased Stone Protectors Genesis game, which was pretty good. So was Batman Returns for NES. He also mentioned of a rom hack that polishes the gameplay a lot for Return of the Joker. Never had the urge to buy it due to the laggy controls. The famicom cart is pretty amazing, though.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3284 on: September 06, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »
Just beat Zelda LTTP after a 20 year haiatius.
Also spent more hours then I’d like to admit on ps4 mad max, mindless fun.

Pigeon

« Reply #3285 on: September 07, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »
I still haven’t beaten the first Crash Bandicoot game or Breath of the Wild. I think I suck at video games more than skating.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3286 on: September 08, 2018, 07:32:54 AM »
Nice! Haven't tried Kenseiden or El Viento. Have you played Dahna Megami Tanjou?

Kenseiden is maybe my favorite SMS game. It's sometimes referred to as a "Samurai Castlevania" type game. Slightly faster action though.

It has held up really well although I imagine it might be daunting to newcomers because of a lack of continues (there might be a code) and the floating jumping mechanic takes some getting used to. Also, the 2nd boss is one of the hardest (weird hit detection) and eventually I remembered that if I didn't beat him first try with sword power up and life refill item it was probably best to restart.

El Viento has really neat anime presentation (it was by the same people who made the Exile games) that was ahead of its time. The in-game graphics are kind of terrible although the action is very fluid. It's an unusual one.

Never saw that game you posted before. It reminds me of Jewel Master for some reason - maybe it's the level of polish or the way your character moves.

https://youtu.be/bWO1oFXgJLE

notaLOCAL

• Rep: -5
  • Never had it, Never will.
« Reply #3287 on: September 08, 2018, 10:44:08 PM »
I've been playing way too much League of Legends.
I want to die.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3288 on: September 12, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
http://lichess.org/

Free chess got me all fucked up.
Anybody else on here?

Cool!

I used to play over at RedHowPawn.com (not a clickbait link, it's legit chess)

Of and Destiny 2: Forsaken (PC and XB)

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #3289 on: September 17, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »
beat journey for the first time yesterday. damn that was pointless

Pigeon

« Reply #3290 on: September 17, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
I just beat Captain Toad: Treasure Hunter. Don’t even get it if you have a kid. The multiplayer mode is stupid and it’s pretty short, even for a puzzle game.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3291 on: September 19, 2018, 04:05:46 AM »
I’m about 80% through spider man , this is such a fun game. Can’t wait for dlc

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3292 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:47 AM »
Finally getting around to MGSV. On the whole it's really disappointing and monotonous although it manages to be enjoyable here and there.

I guess they should have let the series end with 4.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #3293 on: September 19, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
Finally getting around to MGSV. On the whole it's really disappointing and monotonous although it manages to be enjoyable here and there.

Dude I love mgsv, and I am a huge fan of the whole saga. It's only as monotonous as you make it with so many different weapons and gadgets. A lot of people hated the ending but I actually applauded in my chair. What ever that's how it goes.

But I just upgraded my PC and went back to the Witcher 3 and damn that game is amazing. It looks so good maxed out.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3294 on: September 19, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude I love mgsv, and I am a huge fan of the whole saga. It's only as monotonous as you make it with so many different weapons and gadgets. A lot of people hated the ending but I actually applauded in my chair. What ever that's how it goes.

But I just upgraded my PC and went back to the Witcher 3 and damn that game is amazing. It looks so good maxed out.

The gameplay is great (although I preferred it when the realism was dialed back and I could carry a gun store on my back) but the missions and the environments are repetitive. The Big Shell stuff is boring. The "open world" aspect just means more riding around before you get somewhere and most of the bases are so open your strategies can be interchangeable. I liked how the individual areas of the earlier games were like mini puzzles.

I've only just picked up Quiet and gotten to Africa but the lack of story thus far is a disappointment (and I've already figured out the big twist, at least partially). Snake's lack of character makes the whole story less immersive and consequential.

Did Ground Zeroes recap the PSP games in some way? Because it's crazy how much the events of those games that a relatively tiny number of people played seem to factor into MGSV's plot. I've only read synopses of those and have no idea about half the stuff that gets mentioned (and I'd consider myself more than a casual fan).

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3295 on: September 19, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #3296 on: September 20, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The gameplay is great (although I preferred it when the realism was dialed back and I could carry a gun store on my back) but the missions and the environments are repetitive. The Big Shell stuff is boring. The "open world" aspect just means more riding around before you get somewhere and most of the bases are so open your strategies can be interchangeable. I liked how the individual areas of the earlier games were like mini puzzles.

I've only just picked up Quiet and gotten to Africa but the lack of story thus far is a disappointment (and I've already figured out the big twist, at least partially). Snake's lack of character makes the whole story less immersive and consequential.

Did Ground Zeroes recap the PSP games in some way? Because it's crazy how much the events of those games that a relatively tiny number of people played seem to factor into MGSV's plot. I've only read synopses of those and have no idea about half the stuff that gets mentioned (and I'd consider myself more than a casual fan).

Yeah gz picked up where Peace Walker left off, they are directly tied but gz doesn't go over the Peace Walker plot again.

I didn't mind the driving, some games loading screens are longer than what it takes to drive to a mission. Fast travel is a thing, too so it's really not that bad.

I never saw it as a twist because they spill the beans in literally the opening scene, but I still liked the ending because it does some interesting 4th wall stuff. It's also cool how it basically goes right into the next game.

There's as much story here as in other mg games, it's just spread out over more gameplay. I dove into every cassette tape, mission opening/closing dialog, and npc chatter. Theres quite a bit going on, it's just not as spoon-fed as the other games.  If you watch full cutscene vids on YouTube of each mgs game, v is about average in length.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #3297 on: October 04, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
The fuck?

Replaying the same missions on harder mode was a joke and an insult. The mechanics were good, everything else blew dick. I know that a lot of things went wrong between Kojima and Konami but that's no excuse. The game shipped unfinished. I did every side and main mission and when I had to replay old missions on hard/extreme, that's when I put the controller down. What a joke.

Fuck that.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3298 on: October 04, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
On a whim I decided to pick up NHL '19. Hadn't played an NHL game since the 2003 one as, quite frankly, I'm not too into sports games. Ended up being a lot of fun, the amount of shit you can do is pretty impressive, and the franchise mode is overwhelmingly immersive. I was getting legitimately stressed out trying to balance my pretend budget on fucking concession stands and seats in my pretend arena. 
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

feedmeseymour

« Reply #3299 on: October 05, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »

http://www.bomtoons.com/biggame.html
fuck you got my hopes up heavy with this one... loved that movie.

i just beat nes zelda for the first time. i never gave it a legit playthrough as a kid. very satisfying.