Author Topic: Stuff named after gonz  (Read 3739 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Stuff named after gonz
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »
What obstacles/tricks/spots have been named after gonz? Description please as well, not just "gonz gap" "gonz rail" and all that.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

krapnek

• Rep: 1
Re: Stuff named after gonz
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
What obstacles/tricks/spots have been named after gonz? Description please as well, not just "gonz gap" "gonz rail" and all that.

spots other than the one at embarcadaro?  i can't recall any that bear his name.  however, he's got some firsts: wallenburg ollie, kickflip over that ez ditch in texas.

i can't think of any tricks named after him.  he's famouse for his mobbed kickflips, the iceplant, that weird handplant on the ledge to blunt thing, the kilty mcbagpipe.

he can claim first on 180 nosegrinds, nose blunt slides on curbs, frontboards on handdrails, 50/50s down handrails, maybe the first back lip down a rail, the stailfish,  the old frontside ollie 270 to fakie backside 50/50 and the opposite one too.  he and guy both do switch frontside pop suvs in video days but i bet mark was first.

that's all i got.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »
"gonz hip" in LA

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2567
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »
Meanwhile 2 gap in London, also a "Gonz". Last seen in Static 3 where Manfre does that 270 fskf.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
There also is the double kinked gonz rail that he boardslides in video days that Muska later 5050's

Home Skillet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »
Wasn't there a Gonz Ollie? 

cahl

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »

skateface

• Rep: -6
    • Skateboard News Info and other crap avatar image
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »
The Gonz Gap- at Embarcadero and at the Vans Downtown Show Down. It's so famous that Girl recreated it. See the video here http://tinyurl.com/2fmdgj

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

spots other than the one at embarcadaro?  i can't recall any that bear his name.  however, he's got some firsts: wallenburg ollie, kickflip over that ez ditch in texas.

i can't think of any tricks named after him.  he's famouse for his mobbed kickflips, the iceplant, that weird handplant on the ledge to blunt thing, the kilty mcbagpipe.

he can claim first on 180 nosegrinds, nose blunt slides on curbs, frontboards on handdrails, 50/50s down handrails, maybe the first back lip down a rail, the stailfish,  the old frontside ollie 270 to fakie backside 50/50 and the opposite one too.  he and guy both do switch frontside pop suvs in video days but i bet mark was first.

that's all i got.

Actually I'm Pretty Sure Julien did the first front boards on handrails and Jason Carney and Sal barbier did the first Back lipslides

But Gonz also probably did the first switch ollies on street(circa 1988) and probaly the first switch 50/50s and other things. Tony Hawk did an article on it in an old Transworld, that ollie was better than half the street pros regular ollies at the time.

johnn

• Rep: 22
  • twitty
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's all i got.
[close]

Julien did the first front boards on handrails and Jason Carney and Sal barbier did the first Back lipslides

I vaguely recall a big brawl outside with me getting head-butted by Kurtis Colamonico
Club Monaco killin' it

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2567
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:26:44 AM »
But Gonz also probably did the first switch ollies on street(circa 1988) and probaly the first switch 50/50s and other things. Tony Hawk did an article on it in an old Transworld, that ollie was better than half the street pros regular ollies at the time.

There was some contest footage from around that period floating about and in it Gonz does a switch method out of a jump ramp that was seriously the best looking trick at the contest.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's all i got.
[close]

Actually I'm Pretty Sure Julien did the first front boards on handrails and Jason Carney and Sal barbier did the first Back lipslides

Didn't Julian's front board happen right around the time Gonz did one too? I thought it was arguable who did it first.
I'm pretty sure Natas was the first 5050 though.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's all i got.
[close]

[close]
Didn't Julian's front board happen right around the time Gonz did one too? I thought it was arguable who did it first.
I'm pretty sure Natas was the first 5050 though.

Nah i'm pretty sure Julian is completely credited with the first one, I don't think natas' 50 50 was first either but it was definately the first gnarly 50/50 on a handrail. He did it on those La courthouse rails which are pretty much handicap rails down a long set of stairs. he was riding a board with about 2 inches of nose and copers. Actually Gonz didn't even do the first boardslide from what i know he tried some and lied to natas about making them and then that made natas go and land one thinking gonz was getting ahead of him.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »
I am visiting my parents and in their basement is a whole bunch of old thrashers from when I subsribed in about '96. I looked through it and sure enough, Natas credits Gonz with the first 5050 down a rail on some rail in NYC.
I think I didn't remember right on the Julian/Gonz front board thing. Julian did it first, but Gonz did it right afterwards, and both photos appeared in the same magazine, I think.  Its like Jed vs. Mariano on the first switch tre on film (besides Rodney, of course).

I think Gonz and Natas are unclear on who actually did the first handrail boardslide intentionally, because they are both weirdo artists (and I use the term out of nothing but respect, thats what makes them both legends.)

bobjohn

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »
Gonz and Natas are co-credited with handrail boardslides. Natas was documented first trying it at the '86 Oceanside street contest (Johnee Kopp had the first photo in a Town and Country ad, same year). Julien first front board handrail. Carney first backside lipslide.

Gonz's stalefish was named in homage to the Stelmasky grab invert. I think ollie shifties used to be called Gonz-ollies. But most Gonz firsts weren't named after him: 180 nosegrind and 180 50-50s on handrails, nose blunts, switch methods on launch ramps ('87 Savannah Slamma contest), darkslides, noseslides (first I'd seen at least, definitely first on a rail), most of those curb tricks in Video Days are Gonz firsts--some haven't been done on anything bigger since. He also adapted many vert tricks to street--the precursor to modern ledge and rail skating: ollie to axle stalls, ollie (frontside and backside) to tail, 180 ollies and half-cabs on flat, streetplants, and benchslides. Of course, Natas and Tommy G. were doing this stuff at the same time too.

There's also a driveway in Laguna Beach with a gap and tree that Gonz ollie footplants on. That's an iconic Gonz spot (although I can't remember who had some trick in a magazine there a few years back).