Author Topic: Gettin All Costa Rica  (Read 979 times)

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Gettin All Costa Rica
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »
Well my girlfriend and I quit our jobs a week and a half ago and after tying up a few loose ends we're on our way down to costa rica next month to volunteer on organic farms till August. 

I'm equal parts stoked and terrified.  We aren't getting paid but we live and eat for free and work mon-fri 7am-noon which sounds pretty fucking excellent to me.  I love being out in nature and i'm into the idea of a healthier life full of real food and fewer of the poisons with which i assault my body  on a daily basis, but i'm also wondering what the partial disconnect from the modern world and media is going to do to my nerdy-ass, pop culture dependent psyche.  Also a bit concerned about how well my 2 years of B-'s in college spanish is going to serve me.  My girlfriend speaks pretty decent spanish though and they speak english at most of the places we'll be staying so it shouldn't be too bad... hopefully.

Guess i just wanted to vent a little stokedness and anxiety. 

I'd also thank all of you for making the past year of my life couped up in an office building under neon lights tolerable.  I probably won't be missed much since i average like one post every two or three days, but i'll have limited internet access and will share interesting photos/experiences if anybody's interested.

I was also wondering if anyone around here has spent any time down there and has any recommendations as to what to bring/expect.  I'm going to be carrying my entire life on my back but i'm pretty sure i can cram a dissassembled board and a pair of half cabs in there if anybody knows what the skateboarding situation is like.

Keep slappin'... Keep livin'

-AL

Doctor Handsome

Re: Gettin All Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:19:42 PM »
How long are you staying down there? What happens when you come back and have no money and no job? What happens when your girlfriend falls in love with a Costa Rican farmer and they start a family? What do you do after work every day if you have no money to spend?

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »
You better have some money to spend on booze!. My friends used to take fishing trips down there with their Pops, there's stuff to skate and there may be some sort of park now I think. Bring hats so no bugs bore into your head when you're in the jungle. In fact stay away from the jungle because that's where the armed guerilla's hang out .
yeah, watch out for the pesky farmers as they are quite the ladies men I hear.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »
How long are you staying down there? What happens when you come back and have no money and no job? What happens when your girlfriend falls in love with a Costa Rican farmer and they start a family? What do you do after work every day if you have no money to spend?

Stayin till mid august.  We each have a few G's saved up for the trip so without paying room and board to worry about there'll be fun to be had.  We'll probably move in with either her parents or mine for a bit when we get back until we find jobs.  Also most of the places we'll be staying (definitely the first place) are run/staffed by ex-pat american/european hippies so i'm not to worried about the brown Adonis stealing my girlfriend factor.

Doctor Handsome

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stayin till mid august.  We each have a few G's saved up for the trip so without paying room and board to worry about there'll be fun to be had.  We'll probably move in with either her parents or mine for a bit when we get back until we find jobs.  Also most of the places we'll be staying (definitely the first place) are run/staffed by ex-pat american/european hippies so i'm not to worried about the brown Adonis stealing my girlfriend factor.

Sounds like you've thought about everything. Now let me come with or die.

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »
fuck volunteering on a farm. get to the beach and learn to surf.

...and the brown dudes you speak of are going to be all over your chica. right in front of you, even. if she's at all hot, or flrty, you're in trouble.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
free weed?, i'm gonna say this now, i can't take vacations to natural places (no internet, no cable, no nothing), i just can't, my perfect vacations are going to huge cities, tokyo, ny stuff like that.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »
Well my girlfriend and I quit our jobs a week and a half ago and after tying up a few loose ends we're on our way down to costa rica next month to volunteer on organic farms till August. 

I'm equal parts stoked and terrified.  We aren't getting paid but we live and eat for free and work mon-fri 7am-noon which sounds pretty fucking excellent to me.  I love being out in nature and i'm into the idea of a healthier life full of real food and fewer of the poisons with which i assault my body  on a daily basis, but i'm also wondering what the partial disconnect from the modern world and media is going to do to my nerdy-ass, pop culture dependent psyche.  Also a bit concerned about how well my 2 years of B-'s in college spanish is going to serve me.  My girlfriend speaks pretty decent spanish though and they speak english at most of the places we'll be staying so it shouldn't be too bad... hopefully.

Guess i just wanted to vent a little stokedness and anxiety. 

I'd also thank all of you for making the past year of my life couped up in an office building under neon lights tolerable.  I probably won't be missed much since i average like one post every two or three days, but i'll have limited internet access and will share interesting photos/experiences if anybody's interested.

I was also wondering if anyone around here has spent any time down there and has any recommendations as to what to bring/expect.  I'm going to be carrying my entire life on my back but i'm pretty sure i can cram a dissassembled board and a pair of half cabs in there if anybody knows what the skateboarding situation is like.

Keep slappin'... Keep livin'

-AL

I spent three weeks traveling around down there last month, and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. expect the most friendly society you've ever encountered, beautiful women, the best fresh fruit and fish in the world. I'm assuming you know that you're going during the rainy season, which i've heard can be quite a drag at points. where are you staying / planning on traveling to? I stayed in a hostile up in the woods one night, sounds similar to what you're planning on doing. the guy who was running the joint said of people staying there for free as long as they put in 1/2 day's labor..I loved it. I'm probably going back before the september to get my teeth fixed; tican healthcare system is light-years beyond on own

kilgore.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
my girlfriend went to costa rica last summer and loved it. she hasn't stopped saying positive things about it yet.