Author Topic: let me see your bracket/NBA 2008 playoff discussion thread.  (Read 34773 times)

longballlarry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
let me see your bracket/NBA 2008 playoff discussion thread.
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
so the NBA playoffs start this weekend and i am interested in seeing who you guys choose to win.
if you go to the nba website, nba.com and sign up(it's mad quick) you can make your own 2008 playoff bracket, it's fun and it's free!
let me see yours!
who do you guys like?
who do you think will win it all?
here's mine.

picking the west was tough this year.

feel free to discuss all nba playoff related stuff in here also.

I used to post

Mackattack

Re: let me see your bracket/NBA 2008 playoff discussion thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:13:04 PM »
celtics

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »
we all know the heat will win 40 games and the celtics will lose 40 even thoug there aren't any games left.
heat ftw.

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:53:40 AM »
ours is pretty much the same larry, except i have the spurs beating the suns, dallas getting past n.o in the west and our eastern conference is the same. i got the lakers in 7 though in the finals

seeing how the spurs totally dismantled utah the other night, they are starting to switch into that "we're the defending champions" gear in perfect timing for the playoffs, as boring as they are, i can't see them not being in the western conf. final against LA. and as much as i love chris paul, him and david west are they only real consistant players on offense, not to mention they have no playoff experience, dallas has been here numerous times, and now with an experienced pg in kidd.

the west is insane this year, every first round series has the potential to go to 7 games.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:57:28 AM »
pistons over the celts?! cmoooon maaan

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »
pistons over the celts?! cmoooon maaan

i really don't have any love for the celtics, as good as they are. i think i picked the pistons solely based on my hate for the celtics lol. that should be an amazing series though, definately going to 7 games.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:18:49 AM »
I've been a San Antonio fan since I started following the NBA many moons ago, The Spurs will definately make it to the finals, the only series they might go the distance in is with L.A. but they will win, they are the queitest most boring team in the NBA i know but they play good team oriented hoop, the celts will dominate the east and lose to S.A. in the finals...
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:33:42 AM »
I'm from San Antonio, home to the 4 time World Champion Spurs and current title defenders so I'm backing them blindly. I don't like the fact they are playing Phoenix first. Emanuel Ginnobli will have his clutch free throw percentage tested in this series.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 08:38:21 AM »
I'm from San Antonio, home to the 4 time World Champion Spurs and current title defenders so I'm backing them blindly. I don't like the fact they are playing Phoenix first. Emanuel Ginnobli will have his clutch free throw percentage tested in this series.
I've always wanted to go to a Spurs game more than anything...now that I have this companion pass for the Airline, on my to do list is see a game at the begining of next season...HYPED

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've always wanted to go to a Spurs game more than anything...now that I have this companion pass for the Airline, on my to do list is see a game at the begining of next season...HYPED

Rad, I've never been to the new stadium and have that on my list of things to do next time I'm there.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:07:28 AM »
i'm not really sure why i picked new orleans over the mavs, i guess it's just because i hate the mavs. and they lost to golden state last year. and also they are not playing very well since they got kidd, but i guess they got him for that playoff push and not the regular season. oh well, we will see. also i have a feeling phoenix is gonna beat san antonio this year. it's over for san antonio, plus the suns are leading in the regular season series over them, and now that they have shaq they got some defensive presence down low.
also do not sleep on Detroit!
I used to post

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:20:49 AM »
Of the 8 teams in the West I honestly could see 6 of them (except Houston and Denver) making the finals possibly.  They are all so close.  I'm from Dallas so I hope they start clicking because they have been suckin' since Kidd came on board.  Their last few games have been good so I hope it's happening.  And Dirk needs to step up.  Also, Dallas is better off as a 7th seed because they cave when they are the high seed and the pressure is on.  Underdog role could benefit them.

As for the East I think it's gonna be Detroit or Boston.  Some people forget that Boston went 25-5 against the West this year so the whole, "Boston isn't deep enough to beat the West" isn't true.

I could see the Lakers makin it even though I don't like them.  Kobe is amazing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:22:26 AM by SFblah »

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:27:06 AM »
SFBlah definately feelin the 25-5 deal for Boston, but still feel they don't have the expierence any team in the west does it when it comes down to crunch time and I think that'll show soon enough.  Detriot definately kills it but I don't think there as hungry as the Celts.

bizarro gub

• Rep: 7
  • lincoln of the sea
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »
im gunna go for the lakers in the west and the cavs in the east.

im stil in tearz over the warriors and the clippers doing shitty.
Alexactly shaves.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »
i'm not really sure why i picked new orleans over the mavs, i guess it's just because i hate the mavs. and they lost to golden state last year. and also they are not playing very well since they got kidd, but i guess they got him for that playoff push and not the regular season. oh well, we will see. also i have a feeling phoenix is gonna beat san antonio this year. it's over for san antonio, plus the suns are leading in the regular season series over them, and now that they have shaq they got some defensive presence down low.
also do not sleep on Detroit!

I hate the Mavs too... For some reason they irk me more than any other team--probably has something to do with that big baby Mark Cuban who thinks he's coach jr. because he bought a team.

The West is too damn strong this year but I'm saying PHX/LA in the Western conference finals, PHX for the win. More out of home town pride that anything--LA's good and the Suns have been running hot and cold. But when they're hot I don't think anyone can handle them.

Hey who was that on here telling me how Kidd was a better ball player than Nash? Remember that shit?

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »
San Antonio's going to take it up a notch big time...the Suns basically built there squad to try and be the next S.A. but theres only one champion, don't sleep on Denver either.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
"Built their sqaud" might be a little bit of an overstatement if you're referring to Shaq. The rest of their squad's been there for a while.

And there's not a team in the league who's not doing everything they can to build a championship team--you can't fault the Suns for that. I don't think that's the exactly the same as trying to be the next Spurs, they're just trying to hustle and get one up on the rest of the league.

And as for the Spurs/Suns series goes there's no use arguing, that'll sort itself out starting Saturday. I'm stoked for the series, should be some entertaining basketball.   

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
I feel Phoenix is bitter that we have been owning them the last couple years and have gone out of their way to try and get better match ups to our dudes, I know phoenix is the toughest challenge ahaed, there the only western conference team with a winning record vs. us in the regular season.  FUCK SHAQ! I hate that dude for some reason....but I do like his CD, that song "I'm Outstanding" is so classic!

kilgore.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »
i had spurs losing to celtcs in the finals in 6 games. i have a bracket just do not know how to post it on here.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »
i had spurs losing to celtcs in the finals in 6 games. i have a bracket just do not know how to post it on here.

yeah it was kind of a bitch posting the bracket, i had to take a snapshot of my screen and then upload it on photobucket and then crop it. probably to much work, but whatever.
I used to post

kilgore.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »
i'm a mavs fan. a really big mavs fan, but i don't see it happening this year.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »
GO SPURS GO! The Refs better be on top of their game for this series, none of that questionable crap like last years wc finals please.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
GO SPURS GO! The Refs better be on top of their game for this series, none of that questionable crap like last years wc finals please.
yeash...AGREED!!!!

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
You know my vote Lakers vs. Celtics in the finals... I think in will go 6 or 7 and Kg will get his first well deserved ring..........but the fan in me thinks the Lakers got this one.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeash...AGREED!!!!
No doubt. The Suns got hosed last year on those questionable suspensions and it really turned the tide of the series. And I'm not gonna say it cost them the series or the Spurs weren't the better team but it tainted the series. For the Spurs too--they're victory would have been all the sweeter without that officiating bullshit looming over it.

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
San Antonio's going to take it up a notch big time...the Suns basically built there squad to try and be the next S.A. but theres only one champion, don't sleep on Denver either.

you pretty much nailed it. they sacrificed shawn marion (their 2nd best perimeter defender next to bell) for shaq, for the only reason to try and neutralize tim duncan and the spurs domination in the paint against them last year. this is the suns last chance to try and win a title, nash is beginning to age and he's the engine that runs that team.

if denver could play a lick of defense i'd be worried for the lakers, in the playoffs its all about defense, in their regular season series, the lakers averaged 118 points per game against them. and with the fact i cant see denver winning in LA, this should be an easy 5 game series for LA.

S.A.D.B.

• Rep: 8
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
I'd love to see Lakers vs Celtics in the finals, with Kobe getting a Shaq-less ring. The west is way too good though; Spurs, Suns, Mavs, or even the Hornets could make it finals and I wouldn't be surprised.

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »
Yeah i think it will be Lakers vs. Celtics also. It could go either way from there but i think the lakers will take it.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you pretty much nailed it. they sacrificed shawn marion (their 2nd best perimeter defender next to bell) for shaq, for the only reason to try and neutralize tim duncan and the spurs domination in the paint against them last year. this is the suns last chance to try and win a title, nash is beginning to age and he's the engine that runs that team.

if denver could play a lick of defense i'd be worried for the lakers, in the playoffs its all about defense, in their regular season series, the lakers averaged 118 points per game against them. and with the fact i cant see denver winning in LA, this should be an easy 5 game series for LA.

phoenix and san antonio are pretty much polar opposites in the way they play with basketballs. phoenix is not trying to be the next san antonio, san antonio plays a well organized half court offense and they are rooted in their defense, while phoenix plays a more full court game trying to score as much points as possible, and their defense is not so great. but yeah, they did get shaq to try to beat san antonio and tim duncan specifically, they've been losing to them in the playoffs for the last couple of years and they needed to get someone to help them defend down low. and getting shaq for shawn marion is basically a steal, seeing as how shaq is one of the most dominant players of his era, and he gives phoenix the defensive presence they need. this is probably the matchup i'm looking forward to the most in the western conference and it should be fun to watch. i just can't stand seeing san antonio winning another championship
I used to post

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

phoenix and san antonio are pretty much polar opposites in the way they play with basketballs. phoenix is not trying to be the next san antonio, san antonio plays a well organized half court offense and they are rooted in their defense, while phoenix plays a more full court game trying to score as much points as possible, and their defense is not so great. but yeah, they did get shaq to try to beat san antonio and tim duncan specifically, they've been losing to them in the playoffs for the last couple of years and they needed to get someone to help them defend down low. and getting shaq for shawn marion is basically a steal, seeing as how shaq is one of the most dominant players of his era, and he gives phoenix the defensive presence they need. this is probably the matchup i'm looking forward to the most in the western conference and it should be fun to watch. i just can't stand seeing san antonio winning another championship
Shaq is washed up, and Duncan will dominate him.  And getting 1 man to filll your defensive needs is not going to fufill the Suns' dreams, its a team effort, and IMO i dont think they play well enough together.  But like i said they're the only team I have the slightest doubt with...