Author Topic: New Adidas lineup  (Read 3823 times)

bobjohn

New Adidas lineup
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:25:53 AM »
Bryce Kanights dropped after making their skate program semi-legit. Speculation?

I'm thinking it is the first sign of corporate fallout from recession. Nike will drop Kevin soon and let SB run its course.

I can see Gonz on Lakai.

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: New Adidas lineup
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:05:20 AM »
There's to many non skaters buying NIKESB. So there not gonna be of course anytime soon

And Yes Birdo still hates Adidas & Nike
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

ProjectPatrick

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:59 AM »
Bryce Kanights dropped after making their skate program semi-legit. Speculation?

I'm thinking it is the first sign of corporate fallout from recession. Nike will drop Kevin soon and let SB run its course.

I can see Gonz on Lakai.
Man you need to stop making assumptions... Recession? What? I haven't seen skateboarding's popularity falter at all. Where are you getting this from? Maybe it's because I'm drunk but I just want to call you a fucking idiot. Gonz has been on Adidas since before they even had a legit team so he's not going anywhere and neither is Nike SB.

bobjohn

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:52:53 AM »
Eat a dick. All the indictors are here. Foreclosures are up. Housing prices have fallen. Crude oil prices, interest rates, consumer index, etc. Perhaps I should have specified geographic location.

Unfortunately, large corporations use different data to analyze their markets other than "I haven't seen skateboarding's popularity falter".  Everything after the word speculation is exactly that. Yes, Nike's net worth has made marked improvements since SB's inception. Their side argues skateboarding is a small market and its recent growth is unrelated. However, SB's popularity won't last forever. And during tough economic times, major brands tend to consolidate. The collector stuff can always be integrated into existing lines anyway.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:43:52 AM »
i can't say much for Adidas -- i have some friends that wear them, but they're not gung-ho about it, and i don't think they'd be all that bummed if the ST program went under (esp since the difference between ST and regular seems pretty negligible).  but Nike SB?  along with Vans, definitely the most popular brand i see on people's feet when i'm out skating.  and as the popularity of the Dunk has waned slightly, they've successfully branched out into other shoes (Blazer, Blazer low, P Rod 2, Classics, etc).  they're still hot with both the skate crowd and the fuckin streetwear crowd.  plus they've got the 6.0 program to boost their bottom line (i'm sure ripping off their own designs is pretty cheap), assuming it's doing well (i don't actually know, i never go to the suburbs).  on top of that they still have arguably one of the best teams in skating right now, who all seem genuinely stoked to be there.

the economy might be in the shitter (although i don't think it's nearly as bad as people think it is), but Nike SB isn't going anywhere.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:02:37 AM »
This is the third topic about this you assholes.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:42:44 AM »
I have friends who are reps and skateboardings popularity has definitely faltered a bit and the early recession signs haven't helped.  One rep already has had 6 shops close this year.  He said some shops are hurtin pretty bad so there could be more.

mr. otsu

• Rep: 12
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »

I can see Gonz on Lakai.

dunno bout that one

if anything, i'd put my money on bachinsky getting kicked off.  seems to me adidas only wants 'big guns' on their pro team (i.e. not rob g or angelides), and city won't keep him am forever

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:03:19 AM by mr. otsu »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »
When skateboarding died in the late 80's early 90's it was pretty much the result of an overall recession. If people have less money to spend, less people are going to buy the limitted edition $150 sneakers.
The point is, its the recession that makes the skate market fall, they are not independent of eachother
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
When skateboarding died in the late 80's early 90's it was pretty much the result of an overall recession. If people have less money to spend, less people are going to buy the limitted edition $150 sneakers.
The point is, its the recession that makes the skate market fall, they are not independent of eachother

recessions.....  i have a business module exam i have to take later and when you said recession, all i can think about is whats leading to it.... 
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hatechild

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »

It's actually not the recession that makes the skate market fall, it's when all the kids who bought skaterboards because they wanted to be like Sheckler on TV realize that they can pick up a much easier alternative sport like rollerblading.

beeda weeda

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's actually not the recession that makes the skate market fall, it's when all the kids who bought skaterboards because they wanted to be like Sheckler on TV realize that they can pick up a much easier alternative sport like rollerblading.
fail

bobjohn

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »
This is the third topic about this you assholes.

This was really about Bryce getting canned. Didn't realize that it's in the "sacking" thread. Sorry. Thread done.

imfed

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »
I can see shops having some trouble with the recession especially if the property that the shop is on is not completely owned by them and they have to deal with rent or paying back a high interest loan or something, but I think that corporate shoe companies are doing just fine in the shoe market and even if they aren't skateboarding is a long term investment for them and they have enough money to survive influxes in the market.  This thread is based on the shakiest assumptions.

Gest

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
man, i saw that adidas paris dvd, and dennis was killing that big ol "natural" quarterpipe thing all stylish like, and then dave bachinsky comes up and does nollie inward heel to nosestall, i was not too pleased with mr. bachinsky

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »
Nike and Adidas have WAY to much money to even care about skating - it's a sideline that keep them in with the kids, when Lakai turns in to Airway in 15 years time and is replaced with whatever Alex Olson's footwear company is that he starts up with David Gonzales - the kids skating today will be wearing Nikes and Adidas like Van's halfcabs and harping on about "how good the old school shoes were"

On one cares anyway - if they skate well skate them, if not don't it's personal taste, if SB's skate well i'll use them if not i'll try something else, once it stops being cool Nike will drop it, Adidas has been in skating so long now i doubt they will.

Skatiing is basically nothing in there market place
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »
I can see shops having some trouble with the recession especially if the property that the shop is on is not completely owned by them and they have to deal with rent or paying back a high interest loan or something, but I think that corporate shoe companies are doing just fine in the shoe market and even if they aren't skateboarding is a long term investment for them and they have enough money to survive influxes in the market.  This thread is based on the shakiest assumptions.
Skateboarding is a long term investment for Nike? HAHAHAHA!!! They don't give a fuck about any sport that they make shit for, look at bauer hockey:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/10587-NHL-Limited_Profitability_Nike_Sells_Bauer_Hockey-210208

Its all about where the $$$ comes from, and if the money ain't flowing like they want it to, they'll drop it in the blink of an eye.
man, i saw that adidas paris dvd, and dennis was killing that big ol "natural" quarterpipe thing all stylish like, and then dave bachinsky comes up and does nollie inward heel to nosestall, i was not too pleased with mr. bachinsky

Why? I thought that shit was sick! Was he not approved enough by slap to have footage next to Busenitz, or is that trick considered wrong in some way?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »
Skateboarding is a long term investment for Nike? HAHAHAHA!!! They don't give a fuck about any sport that they make shit for, look at bauer hockey:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/10587-NHL-Limited_Profitability_Nike_Sells_Bauer_Hockey-210208

Its all about where the $$$ comes from, and if the money ain't flowing like they want it to, they'll drop it in the blink of an eye.

well, true, but selling off a brand you bought is quite different than dissolving a brand you started.  the article you posted mentions towards the end that Nike bought into hockey to establish a presence, did so, and got out when it wasn't all that profitable.  SB/6.0 is quite a different story.  besides, it's not like they could sell "Nike SB" to some firm and let them take the name, and i doubt they'd be short-sighted enough to sell off the designs.  if things got bad enough to where they would discontinue the SB brand, they would just shove those designs in a filing cabinet and wait things out till the next skate boom.

i still maintain that the recession is half psychological...we're "in a recession" because the media reports that we're in a recession, so people spend less.  if the media wasn't forcing that down everyone's throats, people would think "hey, gas is kinda expensive, guess i should finally look into transportation alternatives, and man, it sucks that guy down the street got foreclosed on, guess he should've bought a sensible residence with a normal mortgage rather than gettin' greedy on a McMansion with no down payment."

i realize some people were truly taken advantage of on the sub-prime shit, but i think most people were just trying to ball on a budget.

Randozzi

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
Adidas was dumb to get rid of Bryce. The team is sick top to bottom, I'm not 100% stoked on Bachinsky but he's a shit-ton better than alot of others out there getting paid more.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »
Nike and Adidas have WAY to much money to even care about skating - it's a sideline that keep them in with the kids, when Lakai turns in to Airway in 15 years time and is replaced with whatever Alex Olson's footwear company is that he starts up with David Gonzales - the kids skating today will be wearing Nikes and Adidas like Van's halfcabs and harping on about "how good the old school shoes were"

On one cares anyway - if they skate well skate them, if not don't it's personal taste, if SB's skate well i'll use them if not i'll try something else, once it stops being cool Nike will drop it, Adidas has been in skating so long now i doubt they will.

Skatiing is basically nothing in there market place

I really like your clairvoyance.