Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1884823 times)

QueeferMadness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #19230 on: January 27, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've had a shower that's needed tiling for like two years now. My wife kept on that I needed to fix it (despite me never having tiled) so I read up on all this shit on how to do it but was worried I'd fuck it up and my friend wouldn't loan me his wet saw so I was going to have to rent one.

Since I didn't know what I was doing, I figured I might as well hire a professional since I'd already be paying $$ to rent the saw multiple days.

An acquaintance who does property management gave me the number of his guy who would do it as a favor and only charge me for the labor. Should have been a red flag when the tile guy said he wanted to use mastic because it was just as good as thinset.

Guy shows up and does no layout, just starts tiling from the tub surface up. What follows is a just a fucking mess including ignoring where I tell him to put border, 1/2" grout joints on corners, general unevenness, forgetting bullnose on top and leaving it an a state where I couldn't actually add one. I can't imagine I could do worse.

Dutifully pay the guy $300 and now wife is made that I'm a pussy for not chewing him out or something.

I fucking hate shit.
[close]

Take ownership for YOUR fuck up, youre wife is probably fuckin a real man right now

The fact you paid the guy proves you have a micropeen.
[close]
You need to assert dominance on her again. Urinate on her side of the bed or throw her bathroom shit out the window, just claim territory. Show her what’s good and then fix the shower

This guy gets it

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #19231 on: January 27, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I threw my back out deadlifting today. I do deadlifts like once a week and don't use a belt or straps because at most I only do like 220 pounds with 5 sets. My hands were a little sweaty and on the last set my hand slipped and all the weight went on to my one side. Had to go to the chiropractor and he said my spine wasn't aligned right or something. Fixed it but I can't do shit for a little bit.

Why the fuck do you get hurt working out? Working out is supposed to improve your body. I didn't sign up for this
[close]

As far as I understand, you are about the same weight, 200? Deadlifts at that weight are pretty much useless, tons of volume is also useless. Think of is as body weight squats.

Also, you use your legs as well as your back? The exercise is supposed to engage about 60% of your body, but mostly lower. Hence you can get way with doing about five reps and three sets at 80-90 % of your 1RM.

Make sure to get your technique down and go heavy. Cut the bodybuilding shit out, the dead lift is a strenght compound movement. Also, it takes a lot of time for your CNS to recover. I'll let the master speak now:

[close]

I agree and disagree. One thing to remember is Tobey is training at home so his access to heavy weights and a spotter/safety system just isn't gonna happen.

220 for reps IS definitely going to help, it's just not going to pack on mass. It becomes more of a stabilizing exercise however, and increases aerobic capacity.

Tobey, sucks you got injured man, but it happens ALOT weight training. Just make sure you take care of it and heal up. Lotsa epsolm salt baths, ice for a few days then ice and heat.

Also, try sleeping on your back with a pillow under your legs for a few days/weeks.

Ikobra, good advice especially with that link. Alot of people either avoid deadlifts(huge fuckin mistake), have shit technique and or don't push themselves hard enough. All the compound excercises should be utilized properly.

Have you ever tried dead cardio? Shit is fuckin horrible but it's the best cardio I've ever done. About once every 10 days or so, just use about 55% your normal weight that you can get 8-12 solid reps with.

Do 10-12 sets of about 15-20 reps with only 30 seconds rest between sets.

And done. Feels kinda like leg or back day when it's hard not to puke and your gasping for air lol

You have good points, of course 225 works if you mostly do home traning. It will, like you say, make one overall stronger/stable. I might be a bit biased towards power lifting (even though I'm not a "classical" powerlifter). Dead lift work great in that case, not everybody need to work near 400 pounds for reps.

Interesting point about cardio, reminds me of German volume training (10*10 with 1 minute rest). I heard some gruesome things about it. And no, I have not tried it, sounds like a good challenge. I'm doing Jonnie Candito 6 week intermediate program, shit is free, written by a real, tested powerlifter. Can recommend, got me to a 850 lbs total at 150 pounds body weight. Takes a lot of commitment but gets results.

Any way, stay healthy, boys!

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #19232 on: January 27, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
I've had a shower that's needed tiling for like two years now. My wife kept on that I needed to fix it (despite me never having tiled) so I read up on all this shit on how to do it but was worried I'd fuck it up and my friend wouldn't loan me his wet saw so I was going to have to rent one.

Since I didn't know what I was doing, I figured I might as well hire a professional since I'd already be paying $$ to rent the saw multiple days.

An acquaintance who does property management gave me the number of his guy who would do it as a favor and only charge me for the labor. Should have been a red flag when the tile guy said he wanted to use mastic because it was just as good as thinset.

Guy shows up and does no layout, just starts tiling from the tub surface up. What follows is a just a fucking mess including ignoring where I tell him to put border, 1/2" grout joints on corners, general unevenness, forgetting bullnose on top and leaving it an a state where I couldn't actually add one. I can't imagine I could do worse.

Dutifully pay the guy $300 and now wife is made that I'm a pussy for not chewing him out or something.

I fucking hate shit.

You can never win, I spent the only sunny afternoon so far this year steam cleaning grotty grout and then re-mastic a bath only to be given a hard time for it taking four hours, the first hour was mostly removing female hair care products.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #19233 on: January 27, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I threw my back out deadlifting today. I do deadlifts like once a week and don't use a belt or straps because at most I only do like 220 pounds with 5 sets. My hands were a little sweaty and on the last set my hand slipped and all the weight went on to my one side. Had to go to the chiropractor and he said my spine wasn't aligned right or something. Fixed it but I can't do shit for a little bit.

Why the fuck do you get hurt working out? Working out is supposed to improve your body. I didn't sign up for this
[close]

As far as I understand, you are about the same weight, 200? Deadlifts at that weight are pretty much useless, tons of volume is also useless. Think of is as body weight squats.

Also, you use your legs as well as your back? The exercise is supposed to engage about 60% of your body, but mostly lower. Hence you can get way with doing about five reps and three sets at 80-90 % of your 1RM.

Make sure to get your technique down and go heavy. Cut the bodybuilding shit out, the dead lift is a strenght compound movement. Also, it takes a lot of time for your CNS to recover. I'll let the master speak now:

[close]

I agree and disagree. One thing to remember is Tobey is training at home so his access to heavy weights and a spotter/safety system just isn't gonna happen.

220 for reps IS definitely going to help, it's just not going to pack on mass. It becomes more of a stabilizing exercise however, and increases aerobic capacity.

Tobey, sucks you got injured man, but it happens ALOT weight training. Just make sure you take care of it and heal up. Lotsa epsolm salt baths, ice for a few days then ice and heat.

Also, try sleeping on your back with a pillow under your legs for a few days/weeks.

Ikobra, good advice especially with that link. Alot of people either avoid deadlifts(huge fuckin mistake), have shit technique and or don't push themselves hard enough. All the compound excercises should be utilized properly.

Have you ever tried dead cardio? Shit is fuckin horrible but it's the best cardio I've ever done. About once every 10 days or so, just use about 55% your normal weight that you can get 8-12 solid reps with.

And done. Feels kinda like leg or back day when it's hard not to puke and your gasping for air lol
[close]

You have good points, of course 225 works if you mostly do home traning. It will, like you say, make one overall stronger/stable. I might be a bit biased towards power lifting (even though I'm not a "classical" powerlifter). Dead lift work great in that case, not everybody need to work near 400 pounds for reps.

Interesting point about cardio, reminds me of German volume training (10*10 with 1 minute rest). I heard some gruesome things about it. And no, I have not tried it, sounds like a good challenge. I'm doing Jonnie Candito 6 week intermediate program, shit is free, written by a real, tested powerlifter. Can recommend, got me to a 850 lbs total at 150 pounds body weight. Takes a lot of commitment but gets results.

Yeah for deadlifts I do like 220 for about 7-10 reps for each set but I don't really focus too much about deadlifts. I do my main focus on chest and arms. Deadlifts help my legs a little bit because I don't train my legs at all, no squat rack. I work out for mainly fun, maybe one day I'll join an actual gym

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #19234 on: January 27, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's awesome!!!!

Please try dead cardio lol, it fits perfectly into this thread.

Gentleman ninja warlock

Grind King Rims

« Reply #19235 on: January 28, 2018, 05:45:36 AM »
What's this dead cardio you're talking about? Post a link. Google is only giving me articles about cardio being dead...

Pigeon

« Reply #19236 on: January 28, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »
got sick

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19237 on: January 28, 2018, 08:20:03 AM »
What's this dead cardio you're talking about? Post a link. Google is only giving me articles about cardio being dead...

It's just something I came up with based on the research of HIIT cardio.

It's as simple as can be to understand, hard as fuck to do. But it works fuckin wonders.

Gentleman ninja warlock

doublesteveburger

« Reply #19238 on: January 28, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
Not stoked on these kids...

I got so pissed watching this.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #19239 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I clicked through to a few other accounts and ended up at some Stephen Lawyer copy cat kid and it made me feel like I need to fight his dad.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #19240 on: January 28, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Edit: Haven't been able to skate for a week from sciatica, getting a cat scan today and im not stoked because i hate closed in spaces
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:23:33 PM by Paco Supreme »

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #19241 on: January 28, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »
I looked up that scooter kid on the QS Top 10 intro. Saw hik noseblunt a flat bar on a skateboard. Now I’m sad

Level 80 Undead Warlock

• Rep: -85
« Reply #19242 on: January 29, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »
Applying for grad school, have everything except this personal statement.  It's nothing major, I just don't want to do it.  Deadline is the 1st.  Part of me just doesn't want to go at all, keep looking for a job in my field of study, but the other part of me knows I need this if I ever want to get anywhere.  I have an outline ready to go and my rec letters basically wrote the thing for me, it's just DOING it... Writing about yourself is the worst.
HYPOCRITE.

ungzilla

« Reply #19243 on: January 29, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »
yea man, writing those things sucks. I spent weeks agonizing over mine and then essentially started from scratch right prior to my deadline because I was so sick of reading what I wrote. I sent it to my prospective major professor who had said he'd be happy to take a look at it prior to submitting it. I was dreading someone else reading it and commenting on it, but he just sent it back saying "yea this looks fine" with literally no revisions or suggestions. I thought either a) he doesn't want to waste time on someone obviously not getting in or b) it was literally fine and I was sweating it too hard. Turns out the latter. TLDR just write "pisscuntshit" 2000 times and send it in.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19244 on: January 29, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
Does the school have a mission statement or something like that? I wrote mine right after my school launched a new brand campaign so I pretty much just wrote about how I fit the message they were trying to convey. Just think about how your experiences and strengths fit into the school and the program and apply that to your outline.

It's not fun, but its probably the easiest paper you'll have to write compared to what you'll be writing after you get accepted.

Level 80 Undead Warlock

• Rep: -85
« Reply #19245 on: January 29, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
Yeah I'm working on it. I'm just super distracted today for some reason. The school gave an outline so I'm just going off of that, I just need to plug in everything.
HYPOCRITE.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #19246 on: January 29, 2018, 02:51:46 PM »
Just realized the entire reason I broke my ankle last year was because of global warming, because there's no reason I should've been skating at the park in February

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #19247 on: February 01, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »
I was at this show last night, and my shoulder 'popped' 2-3 times while I was trying to hold my homie up who was crowd surfing. My shoulder has never popped before, and it kinda freaked me out.

It's a little sore right today, but it's alright. I would guess that like a rolled ankle, my shoulder has become weaker. I'm kinda scared that I will dislocate my shoulder here pretty soon, and I won't know how to pop it back into place. Even worse, I'm feeling like I can't fall skating in fear of it popping out. I don't want to feel timid about trying tricks or falling.

Anyone else have experience with this sort of scenario or have .. maybe some physical therapy tips?

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #19248 on: February 01, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
I was at this show last night, and my shoulder 'popped' 2-3 times while I was trying to hold my homie up who was crowd surfing. My shoulder has never popped before, and it kinda freaked me out.

It's a little sore right today, but it's alright. I would guess that like a rolled ankle, my shoulder has become weaker. I'm kinda scared that I will dislocate my shoulder here pretty soon, and I won't know how to pop it back into place. Even worse, I'm feeling like I can't fall skating in fear of it popping out. I don't want to feel timid about trying tricks or falling.

Anyone else have experience with this sort of scenario or have .. maybe some physical therapy tips?

My shoulder used to pop out so much after a snowboarding accident happened to me in 8th grade, made it super weak.

Anyway Ill try to describe to you how to pop it back into place if that happens to you. I would go to the doctors so much about my shoulder being dislocated a doctor finally told me how to do it myself. Actually when my friend was skating his shoulder popped out and I popped it back in for him

Okay lets see if this makes sense. First you are gonna need someone to do this for you while you kind of coach them on what to do. Have them make your arm go straight to the ground , their hand will be on your hand guiding your arm. Once your arm/hand is pointing to the ground, have them just move your arm slowly to the position of you raising your hand in a classroom.

Basically have your arm straight pointing down at first and have your friend move your arm while your arm is straight till it pops back into place 

EDIT: For therapy I kind of forget what I did in the beginning but kind of kept popping out at random times. Now that I lift I have a shoulder day and ever since I did those workouts my shoulder hasn't popped out in like 2 years

The workouts I do are barbell shrugs, dumbbell lateral raises, get a plate of weight (I usually use a 35 pound weight) and hold it with both hands, have your arms straight out while holding the plate and just move the plate with your hands up and down starting from your stomach to around your face. Another workout I do is curling bar traps, I don't know the last two workout names so I can't help you to google it but I'm sure Betaphenylethylalamine or Ikobrakai will school me soon in this thread
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:04:14 PM by tobey »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19249 on: February 01, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
I've dislocated mine once and it was excruciatingly painful. Unless it was a life or death situation, I doubt I would've been able to pop mine back in myself.

If it happens, you just have to take it easy for a while and let it heal. I was really hesitant about skating after I did it and even to this day I don't like grinding rails, but you work though it.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #19250 on: February 02, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
Thanks pals! I'll try and do some work outs and make it stronger. Good to know that it just takes some time.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #19251 on: February 02, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
I knelt down to pet my dog and my knee popped and now it's swollen...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #19252 on: February 02, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »
I knelt down to pet my dog and my knee popped and now it's swollen...

Worth it

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19253 on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »

Like to be said, get on it and build up the surrounding muscle.

I'd also ice it, heat after 3 days, and get lots of fish oil or Omega 3 fatty acids in.

Also stay the fuck away from alcohol or you'll probably have issues long term.

Best of luck! Google weight training excercises to strengthen the rotator cuff area as a place to start. But yeah do shrugs, dumbell presses, db laterals, reverse dumbell laterals, db front raises etc once ya can. If you build up the muscle you'll probably never have issues with it again, or at least until your old as fuck
Gentleman ninja warlock

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #19255 on: February 03, 2018, 03:48:41 AM »
So, about 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a spinal-cord tumour in my C7 vertebrae - at the base of my neck (it showed up in an MRI for what I thought was occupational RSI)
Fortunately there's only a very small chance of it being malignant, but sometimes the thought of even that 5% chance hits me and its scary as fuck.
The weirdest thing being that I haven't been very symptomatic - no lost of motor-skills or motion in the side that the SCT is affecting - just some recurring pins and needles and mild pain in my right arm.
The surgery to take it out is pretty major and it's sinking in that life could be pretty different post-op, that I'll always have to be mindful of my back from now on. I go in on the 9th Feb.
I know it could be much worse and I'm definitely thankful the prognosis is as good as you could really ask. Anyways, I kinda just want start recovering and experience it for myself as reading health forums are bumming me out. If anyone's gone through something similar I'd love to hear where you're at now and how you dealt. Thanks PALS!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:00:21 AM by AsianVegan »

JAesop

« Reply #19256 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
So, about 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a spinal-cord tumour in my C7 vertebrae - at the base of my neck (it showed up in an MRI for what I thought was occupational RSI)
Fortunately there's only a very small chance of it being malignant, but sometimes the thought of even that 5% chance hits me and its scary as fuck.
The weirdest thing being that I haven't been very symptomatic - no lost of motor-skills or motion in the side that the SCT is affecting - just some recurring pins and needles and mild pain in my right arm.
The surgery to take it out is pretty major and it's sinking in that life could be pretty different post-op, that I'll always have to be mindful of my back from now on. I go in on the 9th Feb.
I know it could be much worse and I'm definitely thankful the prognosis is as good as you could really ask. Anyways, I kinda just want start recovering and experience it for myself as reading health forums are bumming me out. If anyone's gone through something similar I'd love to hear where you're at now and how you dealt. Thanks PALS!

I haven't gone through anything similar but def. wishing you the best.
Stay off the internet about stuff like that. I have found for the most part that people usually talk/ post about negative experiences and not positive. Human nature.
Glad the tumor is lower down the cervical spinal vertebrae too, it gets sketchy when they are higher up.
Keep us posted.

JAesop

« Reply #19257 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
not stoked on the mystery shit on my grip tape and shoes while skating downtown. Is it bum or dog? The worst.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #19258 on: February 04, 2018, 11:22:48 AM »

Damn dude cancer is the worst, here's to a healthy and speedy recovery.

Had a really shitty night at work so I got kinda drunk and bombed some hills, ended up eating shit and my board went all the way down the hill.  I looked for it for almost an hour and couldn't find it so now my elbow is twice is normal size and I'm out a full setup.  The worst part is I was so close to hitting axel.

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #19259 on: February 04, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
$112 tax refund