Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431199 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: books to read
« Reply #2940 on: October 08, 2018, 09:00:55 AM »
Anais ninn is the only author I've read (5or6 of her books which are expurgated and unexpurgated diaries a novelette and a collection of erotic short stories) except I read a book about the author of 'in search of lost time' which was fasinating.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2941 on: October 08, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
Every once in a while I want to read an anarcho-western, and nobody does it like Abbey.

Thanks for posting. I'm gonna have to look into this guy's work!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2942 on: October 09, 2018, 08:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. Its what I would call "burnout noir." Long-winded, but funny as fuck.
[close]

Super funny. Compared to a lot of his other stuff though, it's not too long-winded. It moved at a healthy and even pace in my opinion.

Summer by Knausgaard for me, the last of his seasons books and man did he mess up a compelling formula in the second half of the four. Spring was a compelling confessional to his daughter of his wife's breakdown during/after her birth so it deviated from his "one short piece on an everyday object a day" concept, which I liked because it felt very different from his My Struggle writing, but it eventually wore out its welcome. Summer brings back the daily essays but breaks up the two months with entries from his personal diary and they really fuck up the flow of the overall book and drag it down.  The diary selections are longer than the rest of the book and each of the previous three volumes (separately) and are the worst of Knausgaard's tendencies: rambling, unrefined, somewhat shallow. There are decent enough moments in them but they really detract from the rest of the work. If anyone does read this, I highly recommend skipping them.
[close]

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't picked up any book from his Seasons series and I'm not feeling compelled to do so now.

My Struggle 6 is out! Do you have a copy already? Due to a lack of time, I'm only 20 pages in. My only complaint so far is that the hard cover has the dimensions of an encyclopedia. Easily the heaviest and largest book in my collection. I don't think I will ever take it out of my apartment and I can only read it lying on my side. Kind of a weird complaint, I know...

Haha. A very specific but real complaint. I do have my copy but I'm going to start reading it around the holidays since I'll be stuck in airports and traveling a lot. I hope that lets me power through a lot of it quickly.

I've got two shorter books I'm reading now: The Incest Diary by an anonymous author and Incest by Christine Angot. Supposed to be compelling to read together and I have a work trip to Europe this week/weekend so am hoping to finish one on that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:53:30 AM by oyolar »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2943 on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
Anyone ever read any of these 33 1/3 books? They've got a whole bunch and cover tons of classic albums that I love. I'm not a big reader, but I love these kind of musical history stories and these don't look too daunting to get through.

http://333sound.com/33-13-series/

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2944 on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Anyone ever read any of these 33 1/3 books? They've got a whole bunch and cover tons of classic albums that I love. I'm not a big reader, but I love these kind of musical history stories and these don't look too daunting to get through.

I read the belle and sebastian one, it was somewhat interesting. The one by cometbus is worth checking out if youre a fan of his (I am). You're corrext in thinking they are easy reads, enjoyable though.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2945 on: October 09, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
I’ve been meaning to read some books from that series for like the last decade, my closest record shop has a bunch of them, but I haven’t yet. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them though.

I put off reading Dune for a long while, cause for some reason I thought it was part of a long series of books (I think I was confusing it with the Foundation series), but now I’m finally reading it and it’s amazing, I love it.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #2946 on: October 09, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
I read a review of the In on the Killtaker one, and they said that the book was full of typos, which is a red flag, imho. If you don't have a good editor, then that will show and be irritating af.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2947 on: October 09, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »

I put off reading Dune for a long while, cause for some reason I thought it was part of a long series of books
It is though. And now you're locked in.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2948 on: October 16, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
Oh...my brother gave me some bad info I guess. That's great though.

Really need to check this book out:

ungzilla

« Reply #2949 on: October 16, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Expand Quote

I put off reading Dune for a long while, cause for some reason I thought it was part of a long series of books
[close]
It is though. And now you're locked in.

it's fine as a stand alone book though, it kinda drags when you're reading like the 6th frank book and you're like i don't give a fuck about the 600th ghola of [spoiler] and goddamn his son cannot write for shit i hate these prequels
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:02:27 PM by ungzilla »

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #2950 on: October 16, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »

Accurately endorsed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:07:35 PM by Peter Zagreus »

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2951 on: November 03, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
My last reads.

I like food, cooking and fascinated by the high gourmet restaurant kitchen environment. This was a good read to improve my own cooking and better appreciate what the cook has done for my meal when I'm eating out.

This entertained me during a business trip spending 6 hours in a car. I guess the book is even better when someone has already been in Budapest.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2952 on: December 16, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations on biography books? Gotta get a gift so someone. Ideally in the sports, business, interesting person/event category.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2953 on: December 16, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »
The Ron Chernow bio on U.S. Grant is really good.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2954 on: December 16, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
I'd like to read the "definite" book on Dwight Eisenhower. Do you have any reccomendations on books about him? Focusing on the presidency, if possible.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2955 on: December 16, 2018, 08:02:12 PM »

I just read this random spooky book and I was pretty impressed. If anyone likes Steven King kind of mindless reading, this one isn't bad. It painted a lot of strong imagery in my head and gave me weird dreams.

Since I finished that book, I started focusing on reading the Bible, mainly for educational reasons. I read the Quran recently and want to compare.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:43:15 AM by FROTHY »

123ABC

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2956 on: December 16, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »
James Eames
Kings of the wyld
Bloody rose

Action fantasy comedy
img ] link  [ /img ] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2LU0E-Skpgw [ ] and img /img

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2957 on: December 17, 2018, 12:13:15 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations on biography books? Gotta get a gift so someone. Ideally in the sports, business, interesting person/event category.

I got you

hangontoyourego

« Reply #2958 on: December 17, 2018, 06:11:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got you

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2959 on: December 30, 2018, 02:54:45 AM »
Still reading Knausgaard's My Struggle: Book Six and it's good so far. It gives you a lot of perspective on his project and answers a lot of important questions: How did it affect those around him? Did Knausgaard really remember every detail he put into the first five books? What does the relationship between memory and reality look like? From all I've heard, he's also going to ponder on the question of why he made such an obvious connection to Hitler's Mein Kampf in his project's title. I'm not there yet though.

Has anyone read anything by Virginie Despentes? I read a review of The Life of Vernon Subutex and I'm thinking about picking up a copy once I'm done with the monster that is Knausgaard.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #2960 on: December 30, 2018, 07:03:30 AM »
Just started reading this. It's a memoir by a women involved in the Algerian liberation movement. Really interesting so far.

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2736-algiers-third-world-capital
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

BuckyFellini

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2961 on: January 01, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »

Not sure if you're still looking into these but I've read a few. They're pretty good overall. Usually about 100 pages or so. Definitely good for a quick, casual read. They are all by different authors (mostly) so the books differ from each other depending on each author's approach and writing style. Not all go into much detail in terms of the actual recording of each album though, so sometimes they can be a little lacking in that area if you're interested in the actual recording process.

I've read these:

I'd say my favourites are:

Paul's Boutique - So cool reading about how they made that album, moving to LA and working with Matt Dike and the Dust Brothers. Seemed like it would have been such a rad time in general.

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - This one is really well written. The author talks about the political and social environment in three areas: SF, California, and the US as a whole. So that serves as the backdrop to the DK story which gives really good context to everything.

Bizarre Ride - Have to shout out this one simply because it's one of my all time favourite albums so it was just cool to finally learn the story. 

There are a couple like the Nirvana and Pixies books where I didn't really learn anything new. Also the Nick Drake book is pretty lacking but I don't think there is a lot to work with for him and it also spends way too much time talking about a goddamn VW commercial with one of his songs.

BuckyFellini

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2962 on: January 01, 2019, 01:16:37 PM »
Read In The Distance by Hernan Diaz recently which I picked up after reading SFblah's recommendation in this thread so thank you for that suggestion - great book. 

That lead me into reading Butcher's Crossing by John Williams which I really liked. Not sure if this book has already appeared in this thread but I also recommend this one for anyone who's a fan of Cormac McCarthy's westerns. It was written in the 1960s so very likely even served as inspiration to McCarthy as it tackles a couple similar themes. It takes place in the 1870s and is about a Harvard student who drops out of school to move out west and live on the frontier. He arranges to go on a buffalo hunting expedition and some gnarly shit happens to his group (not Blood Meridian-level of gnarliness, but what is, really).

Just started reading Warlock by Oakley Hall. Another "revisionist western". Only about 100 pages in but enjoying it so far. Based on a few real events mixed in with fictional events (one of the main characters is at least partly based on Wyatt Earp). This one was written around the same time as Butcher's Crossing.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2963 on: January 01, 2019, 06:27:18 PM »
Just finished Grapes Of Wrath and shit, that’s gonna be a tough one to follow up.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2964 on: January 01, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
Still reading Knausgaard's My Struggle: Book Six and it's good so far. It gives you a lot of perspective on his project and answers a lot of important questions: How did it affect those around him? Did Knausgaard really remember every detail he put into the first five books? What does the relationship between memory and reality look like? From all I've heard, he's also going to ponder on the question of why he made such an obvious connection to Hitler's Mein Kampf in his project's title. I'm not there yet though.

Has anyone read anything by Virginie Despentes? I read a review of The Life of Vernon Subutex and I'm thinking about picking up a copy once I'm done with the monster that is Knausgaard.

I'm about 180 pages into the Hitler essay and the first 100 pages are super rough.  Took me about a week of consistent reading to get through them.  They were a slog, but I don't want to taint your perceptions so we can talk more about it later on.

I haven't read anything by Viginie Despentes, but the new Pretty Things translation is on my to read list.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2965 on: January 01, 2019, 08:20:00 PM »
I’m reading “On writing well” by William Zinser right now. I picked it up in an effort to improve my writing but am continuing with it because its just a really enjoyable book. It seems that sometimes it doesn’t really matter what someone is writing about if the writing itself engages you

On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060891548/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5SdlCbPCT48R8
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:11:40 PM by Sundaynuggets »

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #2966 on: January 01, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »
just finished no country for old men. Its one of my favorite movies and now one of my favorite books.

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #2967 on: January 02, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
just finished no country for old men. Its one of my favorite movies and now one of my favorite books.

Actually the one instance I can think of where I liked the movie more than the book. Obviously McCarthy is great, though.

Reading Nabokov for the first time in earnest and, damn, this is a good book. I'm flying through it.
However, I was thumbing through a collection of interviews Nabokov gave over the course of his life, and at times he comes off as deeply pretentious. The first line of his introduction is something like: "I think like a genius; I write like a distinguished writer; I talk like a child." Next to insufferable. Doesn't diminish his work, though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:50:58 PM by Peter Zagreus »

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2968 on: January 02, 2019, 05:05:01 PM »
This was great

We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2969 on: January 02, 2019, 08:52:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Actually the one instance I can think of where I liked the movie more than the book. Obviously McCarthy is great, though.

Reading Nabokov for the first time in earnest and, damn, this is a good book. I'm flying through it.
However, I was thumbing through a collection of interviews Nabokov gave over the course of his life, and at times he comes off as deeply pretentious. The first line of his introduction is something like: "I think like a genius; I write like a distinguished writer; I talk like a child." Next to insufferable. Doesn't diminish his work, though.

I fucking love Nabokov.  He is super full of himself though.  Apparently he could pull it off in person (at least for some people) and he'd often play it up in interviews and stuff, but it's definitely a prominent part of his personality.  I can see why given how intelligent and accomplished he was and his family background but it is jarring to learn.