Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431336 times)

ChrisGilmour

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: books to read
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »
That's a pretty sexy cover.^

Been working on this lately- it's a quick and interesting read, and you don't need to be too much of an urban planning nerd.

I want to tackle this, but don't really know if i'll have the time with school starting again:

My room mate got me this for christmas, waiting for a rainy day:

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
Been working on this lately- it's a quick and interesting read, and you don't need to be too much of an urban planning nerd.

i read most of The Death and Life of Great American Cities. it was good at first but got really repetitive. a lot of the ideas in it are still valid but its a shame they aren't utilized 

i just read:

some of the articles are good, others are boring. if you ran out of buk to read you should still check it out
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

scootboard

• Rep: 1
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
labyrinth of solitude by octavio paz. im an annoying college student now so ive been reading all that nietzche stuff. society and its discontents by freud was good shit i read recently. real interesting stuff. im on break now so i finally have a chance to read some stuff i want to, lately its all been sartre/ camus. open to suggestions from anyone whos read the same sort.

ChrisGilmour

• Rep: -2
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »
labyrinth of solitude by octavio paz. im an annoying college student now so ive been reading all that nietzche stuff. society and its discontents by freud was good shit i read recently. real interesting stuff. im on break now so i finally have a chance to read some stuff i want to, lately its all been sartre/ camus. open to suggestions from anyone whos read the same sort.

satre and camus is where its at for me at the moment too.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2009, 01:56:44 AM »

currently reading this.  This next though:

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dr. Evan

• Rep: 24
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
I just finished a book called "The Meaning of Life" by His Holiness The Dalai Lama.  I highly recommend this book for everyone.  It truly helps putting things in your life into a different and yet more fulfilling perspective.
Time you enjoyed wasting is never wasted - John Lennon

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
bill simmons is the man, although he is a huge celtic homer, this is going to be an amazing 700 page read.

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
just received a kindle reader as a gift; gonna look into Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
just received a kindle reader as a gift; gonna look into Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.

let me know if those are worth the money...  was seriously thinking about getting one but i still don't see how any other way to read would be better than a printed book. 

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

let me know if those are worth the money...  was seriously thinking about getting one but i still don't see how any other way to read would be better than a printed book. 

Here's my initial review just based off the past couple hours. The best thing about it is how the display looks; it looks paper-esque. In other words, there is no glow/glare that may come from something like a computer screen, like a matte display.  It reminds me of the fake screen shot displays on a cell phone at a store, because it does not seem to be on/off even when in sleep mode. In other words, it looks like I'll be able to read off the screen for extended periods of time, or as long as my attention span allows. The other main feature I like is that I can get first chapter previews before purchasing a book. So far I've read previews of four books and could tell that I was not interested in two of them. I also like how I don't have the physical conception of how many pages I have yet to read, so I can just read until I'm ready to stop, instead of feeling like I'm climbing some metaphorical mountain. A few other details are that you can select words and it'll tell you the definition at the bottom of the screen, you can change text size, pages are bookmarked immediately, you can make notes, and you can purchase a book anywhere without internet access.

The one con that I have found is that a few books that I searched for were not yet available, but you can request them. Coming from someone that does not often partake in leisure reading, I'd say that it's pretty amazing.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2009, 05:48:31 AM »
bill simmons is the man, although he is a huge celtic homer, this is going to be an amazing 700 page read.

fuck--that's relatively new, right? gotta put that on the list...

Jack

• Rep: 39
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2009, 05:54:50 AM »

sooooooooo good

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

fuck--that's relatively new, right? gotta put that on the list...

yeah it came out like a month ago. it's so good so far.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »

knowledge expanders. jared diamond has to be the smartest guy

I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
double post, trying not to let this thread die

just read this. i like aliens and world war 2 so it kept me interested

now im reading this. its been good so far. i was reading too much burroughs recently so something educational is a good change 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »

now im reading this. its been good so far. i was reading too much burroughs recently so something educational is a good change 

William S. Burroughs? You can never read too much of him!

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
Haven't been reading what I want to enough the last few months.  What's currently on the go:

Sven, I like the Guns and the Germs and the what have you, I'll have to check out his other shit.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »
i was going to start reading diamond guns and steel germs named jared today but realized i only have 4 days until i have to leave the house and thats not nearly enough time to finish it

Expand Quote

[close]

William S. Burroughs? You can never read too much of him!

yah but i was reading the nova trilogy. once you see jizzom and some sort of boy fucking on each page you get a little jaded of it. naked lunch at least had some structure to it 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:18:37 PM by sven thorkel »

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
rereading denis johnson's "jesus' son" again.  just finished "the march" by doctorow.  on plate next is mary robison's new book.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
Got this one for Christmas and just started on it. About a quarter of the way through now and its already really good. I've heard that the 2nd and 3rd books are even better than the first.

Mackattack

« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »

Gnarly and depraved. I like southern and western backdrops and weird hillbilly shit, and McCarthy has one of the sickest writing styles.

Sick book about a  middle aged guy whos life is pretty much crumbling around him so he attempts to become a weed dealer.

Fucking dope. Im about half way through right now and its all aces. About a former mafia hitman who is now a doctor under the witness protection program.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:48 AM »
Just read this:

Really good.

reading it now and its very entertaining.

Mackattack

« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2010, 12:40:26 AM »

Entertaining to say the least. A story about a bunch of assholes in Dallas.

Classic

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »

Just started this earlier this week and it's pretty damn interesting.

Edit:
oops didn't see the picture in that post up there, well anyway, it's pretty good so far.

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:08 AM »
I got a book with two novels by Leonard Cohen for christmas from my grandmother.  The Favourite Game and Beautiful Losers.  I finished THe Favourite Game, it was excellent.  Part way through Beautiful Losers and it's also fantastic.  Gotta finish it before next week when school will inevitably consume all my reading time and energy.  Both novels are pretty erotic, in a strange way that only Leonard Cohen could write.
(Couldn't find a bigger picture of the cover)

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2010, 10:47:34 AM »
Just started reading this last night.  I never got around to seeing the movie and I'm actually glad now.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
i cant read worth shit
ONTARIO CANADA

VictoriousOG

« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »
Jack Kerouac is a damn good writer and this book is just so interesting and real. It's filled with the awesome adventure of literally making up his road trip to where he can be taken to, seeing friends on the way that have such a magnificent personality that make you want to look for those kind of people in life. The character, Sal, is just living and doing something so grand that a lot of us may never get to experience. Damn good writing that is a great master piece, yet simple for people who have a hard time with reading. Try it before you buy it.