Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431298 times)

Inbred Jed

Re: books to read
« Reply #540 on: July 14, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »
The last few weeks I read this...

then this.....

I really like Jack London. I've read a few of his novels and a book of short stories.

macgruber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #541 on: July 14, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
i got a bunch of books i want to check off soon, but these are up next once i finish up blood meridian
-atlas shrugged
-love is a dog from hell
-the amazing adventures of kavalier and klay

LloydChristmas

« Reply #542 on: July 14, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »

great read.  someone told me to read more vonnegut before reading this, but i don't see why.  seriously entertaining.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #543 on: July 14, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
timequake is easily my least favorite vonnegut book i've read. couple great quotes but overall, kind of whatever.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #544 on: July 14, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
timequake is easily my least favorite vonnegut book i've read. couple great quotes but overall, kind of whatever.

i mean if you've read his other stuff there are a lot of repeated stories in timequake, but i laughed just as much as i laughed the first time i read them in the other books.  he got to be pretty bitter by the time he wrote timequake, but he makes his bitterness funny.  it's a quality i can appreciate in vonnegut and nobody else in the world.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #545 on: July 14, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i mean if you've read his other stuff there are a lot of repeated stories in timequake, but i laughed just as much as i laughed the first time i read them in the other books.  he got to be pretty bitter by the time he wrote timequake, but he makes his bitterness funny.  it's a quality i can appreciate in vonnegut and nobody else in the world.

It's mainly because you have to build more of a relationship with Kilgore Trout to understand how monumental and important Timequake's ending is for him.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #546 on: July 14, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's mainly because you have to build more of a relationship with Kilgore Trout to understand how monumental and important Timequake's ending is for him.

of course distinguishing between vonnegut and trout is not something i even thought about anymore by the end.  always looked at trout as the person vonnegut wished to be, if only for a brief time- a romanticized version of himself- and used the alter ego to be bolder than he ever could be (which is tough, because he's edgy as hell). 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #547 on: July 15, 2010, 01:46:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

bingo bango!!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #548 on: July 15, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I second that emotion
third. reading women right now. fucking loving it so far.

swllbo

• Rep: 13
« Reply #549 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:16 AM »
Just started this one today, and so far i'm really enjoying it.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #550 on: July 16, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »

I have had this fucking book for more than a year I think and still not read it. I told myself I would have to after I loved Crime and Punishment so much, but haven't found the time for it. Going to have to happen.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #551 on: July 16, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »
can anyone recommend a good starting point for Saul Bellow?

Vegetable Lasagna

• Rep: 10
  • That's my apple juice.
« Reply #552 on: July 18, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I second that emotion
[close]
third. reading women right now. fucking loving it so far.

Finishing this up soon. First Bukowski book. Is there a good order to read his other books in?

Gonna go back to Vonnegut next with Mother Night. Same question for his books. I've only read Slaughter House Five so far. Is there a good order?

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »
not necessarily. but you can never go wrong with reading someone's novels chronologically.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Slaughterhouse-Five is a pretty good starting place just because it introduces a lot of thematic elements (flash-forwards, flash-backs, Kilgore Trout, cruelty of humans, etc) that run through Vonnegut's works. Like kilgore said, there really isn't too much importance on order, except Timequake has a more meaning the more Vonnegut you know. But even then you can enjoy it on its own. Mother Night is great though. Definitely one of my favorite Vonnegut books and I've read almost all of his stuff.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #555 on: July 24, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »

I am loving it so far.

Plan on starting a Nabokov novel after I'm done with this. I don't know which one though, recommend me something besides Lolita, please. I read stories from The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov from time to time so I'm not totally unfamiliar with his writing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: July 25, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
I just took a class on Nabokov that did not feature Lolita since my professor has an entire class on just that book. It really depends on how much you've read. Pale Fire is amazing, but it's a really odd read if you're unfamiliar with Nabokov (the same goes for Ada, or Ardor). I would suggest The Defense (now marketed as The Luzhin Defense, the literal translation of the Russian title, even though Nabokov preferred it without "Luzhin" in English), Pnin, or The Real Life of Sebastian Knight. I'm more familiar with his English works, but all of those are really good.

Dr. Evan

• Rep: 24
« Reply #557 on: July 25, 2010, 03:09:14 AM »
Expand Quote
If you liked "Football Factory"  then you should check out this one:

[close]

Salman Agah still getting covers.

Great book.  I recently read one about the firm from West Ham, but it was shite.
Time you enjoyed wasting is never wasted - John Lennon

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #558 on: July 27, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

« Reply #559 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »

There's a chapter on Japan's almost crippling use of instruction manuals ranging from taxes to getting laid. There's one called "Perfect Manual of Suicide," sounds awesome/hoping to pick that up some day

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #560 on: August 03, 2010, 02:26:18 AM »
^ dude had an interview on npr not too long ago.  homie used to get death threats from the yakuza.  death threats are always cool.

don't know if this was already posted but i loved this book, loved the whole Ender series really.  when i first found out that Card is an insane Mormon republican asshole, i was confused and angry, but then i thought maybe believing in that nonsense makes him a better science fiction writer.  the religious undertones make it interesting at least.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:31:01 AM by MrDreamPop »
life poser

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #561 on: August 03, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
bout to start this

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #562 on: August 03, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
bout to start this

Going to read this after I finish Lunar Park.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

yobzobbler

« Reply #563 on: August 03, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »
bout to start this

oh shit one of my favorite writers, i had no idea this had been released

Inanimate Object

« Reply #564 on: August 03, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
My roommate left this lying on the kitchen table and so I've been reading it. Really interesting.

I'm also slowly making my way through this. If you like Vonnegut, I highly suggest checking out Barthelme. But it's also a pretty exhausting read, because he writes in non sequiturs.

I bought this yesterday and I'm almost finished it. It's about evolutionary psychology; there are some incorrect assertions made about how evolution works and some questionable explanations for the evolution of certain traits, but it is overall a cool concept:

And I found this in with my other books a while back and read it in an afternoon. A girlfriend made me borrow it. We broke up and I never read it (until now) or returned it. Thanks for the book, bitch!

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
And I found this in with my other books a while back and read it in an afternoon. A girlfriend made me borrow it. We broke up and I never read it (until now) or returned it. Thanks for the book, bitch!

that is pretty much the exact series of events that led me to reading that same book... except i was with the female when i read it. reminded me a bit of chuck klosterman

bought this at a used book store

not sure what to expect... doesn't sound like the other mcarthy books i've read

and i'm halfway done with

not sure yet why people hate ms. rand so much.... i'm really enjoying it.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #566 on: August 03, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
I picked up Dennis Rodmans "as bad as I want to be". Interesting to say the least. He claims that guarding Larry Bird is "overrated because he is white."

yobzobbler

• Rep: -21
« Reply #567 on: August 03, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »
reading ''pattern recognition'', william gibson

basically about this chick researching these weird videos on the net while meanwhile "coolhunting" for this corporation in order to come up w/ the next big thing. yeah i realize that doesnt make you run out of your house for a copy, but gibson is a fucking legend in the sci-fi universe and has managed to make the modern world seem utterly futuristic. he has a couple pages on the alternate realty of the internet, like forums, and talks all sorts of cool shit about modern phenomenons like hipsters and corporate culture being embedded into our brains such that when we see a brand we dont see the image, we see everything it stands for. i still realize this doesnt sound exciting at all but like i said, will gibson is a fucking master for sci-fi.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #568 on: August 04, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »

Anyone read "The Dark Tower" series? I love it

Currently on Wizard and Glass right now, the The Drawing of the Three was my favorite so far

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #569 on: August 04, 2010, 04:19:21 AM »
^ I've heard they're really good, I'll probably read them after this: