Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431204 times)

rob2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #570 on: August 04, 2010, 05:54:46 AM »

and i'm halfway done with

not sure yet why people hate ms. rand so much.... i'm really enjoying it.

Because she's a crazy nazi  who invents the stupidest system of thought (objectivism - biggest misnomer ever), who pretends she's a philosopher but actually just spouts off right wing nonsense

RipGrip

• Rep: 108
« Reply #571 on: August 07, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
McCarthy...

The first of the herd began to swing past them in a pall of yellow dust, rangy slatribbed cattle with horns that grew agoggle and no two alike and small thin mules coalblack that shouldered one another and reared their malletshaped heads above the backs of the others and then more cattle and finally the first of the herders riding up the outer side and keeping the stock between themselves and the mounted company. Behind them came a herd of several hundred ponies. The sergeant looked for Candelario. He kept backing along the ranks but could not find him. He nudged his horse through the column and moved up the far side. The lattermost of the drovers were now coming through the dust and the captain was gesturing and shouting. The ponies had begun to veer off from the herd and the drovers were beating their way toward this armed company met with on the plain. Already you could see through the dust on the ponies' hides the painted chevrons and the hands and rising suns and birds and fish of every device like the shade of old work through sizing on a canvas and now too you could hear above the pounding of the unshod hooves the piping of the quena, flutes made from human bones, and some among the company had begun to saw back on their mounts and some to mill in confusion when up from the offside of those ponies rose a fabled horde of mounted lancers and archers bearing shields bedight with bits of broken mirrorglass that cast a thousand unpieced suns against the eyes of their enemies. A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained weddingveil and some in headgear of cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armour of a spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

Oh my god, said the sergeant.

Buddy G

« Reply #572 on: August 11, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »

maybe the the most sickening, disturbing and unremittingly evil book i've ever read.

recommended.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #573 on: August 11, 2010, 02:39:19 PM »
reading ''pattern recognition'', william gibson

basically about this chick researching these weird videos on the net while meanwhile "coolhunting" for this corporation in order to come up w/ the next big thing. yeah i realize that doesnt make you run out of your house for a copy, but gibson is a fucking legend in the sci-fi universe and has managed to make the modern world seem utterly futuristic. he has a couple pages on the alternate realty of the internet, like forums, and talks all sorts of cool shit about modern phenomenons like hipsters and corporate culture being embedded into our brains such that when we see a brand we dont see the image, we see everything it stands for. i still realize this doesnt sound exciting at all but like i said, will gibson is a fucking master for sci-fi.

i was really disappointed with this book. i got it because the used bookstore by my house didn't have neuromancer. anyway the ending is pretty awful.

bad as i wanna be, however, is awesome. i only read the intro but it's all about dennis rodman driving to the united center blasting pearl jam and thinking about suicide.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #574 on: August 11, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you liked "Football Factory"  then you should check out this one:

[close]

Salman Agah still getting covers.
[close]

Great book.  I recently read one about the firm from West Ham, but it was shite.

I am reading this one right now thanks to this thread. I am really enjoying it.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #575 on: August 12, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »

Finished this a few minutes ago, I enjoyed it. Starting this tomorrow:

Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #576 on: August 12, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
don't know how many folks are into graphic novels/comics, but i just completed my adrian tomine collection with this:

it's a sampling of his work from earlier on to quite recently.  can't recommend this dude strongly enough.  quick reads which are just as potent as full-text novels.

smokecrack

« Reply #577 on: August 12, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
i really like this book

i wanna start Imperial Bedrooms next. have you finished it yet, floop?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
^Have you read Less than Zero?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2010, 09:36:15 AM »

This is one of those books that I was supposed to read in high school and maybe got through 2 chapters cause I thought it was boring. I recently read it again and it's a brutal and consuming tale. Also, a historically significant piece, mainly for the way it exposed how grotesque and unhealthy the conditions were in the meat packing industry during the turn of the century.

Also, vivid descriptions of industrial Chicago, life for new immigrants during this time, political corruption, and the terrible conditions that manual laborers had to face every day.

Schteven

• Rep: -7
« Reply #580 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »

It's all of Kafka's work in one book. It's crazy thick and I've read the main books already (the castle, the proces, Amerika)
So now i'm reading a few short stories every now and then. Dude has fascinating style. It really captures you and sometimes gets you to feel real helpless, but still you gotta keep going. And of course the rythem...

First I was a little bothered that the books didn't have an ending, but now I understand it kinda supposed to be that way.
Fantesticle!

ed...

• Rep: 57
« Reply #581 on: August 13, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »
Fuck yeah, love Kafka. Would be stoked to get the whole collection in one though

VictoriousOG

« Reply #582 on: August 13, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »

Started this on Wednesday.

carlwinslow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #583 on: August 15, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »

This is one of those books that I was supposed to read in high school and maybe got through 2 chapters cause I thought it was boring. I recently read it again and it's a brutal and consuming tale. Also, a historically significant piece, mainly for the way it exposed how grotesque and unhealthy the conditions were in the meat packing industry during the turn of the century.

Also, vivid descriptions of industrial Chicago, life for new immigrants during this time, political corruption, and the terrible conditions that manual laborers had to face every day.
just picked this up, can't wait to read. gotta finish 'in cold blood' first.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #584 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote

Pretty good so far, though I dont really have much time to read for pleasure.
[close]

read this over the summer. so good. the book of amilfitano is my favorite. the crazy thing is that this book gets so much hype for covering the murders in juarez yet when you get to the part about the murders it's basically a laundry list and feels very clinical. awesome read.
" Boris Yeltsin looked at Amalfitano with curiosity, as if it were Amalfitano who had
invaded his dream, not the other way around. And he said,
listen carefully to what I have to say, comrade. Im going to explain what the third leg
 of the human table is. Im going to tell you. And then leave me alone. Life is demand
and supply, or supply and demand, thats what it all boils down to, but thats no way to
 live. A third leg is needed to keep the table from collapsing into the garbage pit of history, which in turn is permanently collapsing into the garbage pit of the
void. So take note. This is the equation: supply + demand + magic. And what is
magic? Magic is epic and it?s also sex and Dionysian mists
and play."
--
been reading Jorge Luis Borges. The Cult of The Phoenix.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:04:16 AM by David »

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »

George Bataille

THE SOLAR ANUS:

"I want to have my throat slashed while violating the girl to whom I will have been able to say: you are the night."

http://www.greylodge.org/occultreview/glor_010/solar.htm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:26:31 PM by David »

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #586 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
just picked this up, can't wait to read. gotta finish 'in cold blood' first.

If I were to judge a book by it's cover, I'd say that one looks pretty righteous.  Is that a Charles Burns design?

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #587 on: August 23, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
Just finished this

After not reading anything from him for awhile I decided to pick this up

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #588 on: August 24, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »

I'm almost done with this, and about to move on to this

the sheer size of it (and the introduction) makes it a bit daunting, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. Can't wait.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #589 on: August 24, 2010, 02:34:09 AM »
Oh, and I just found this http://fivedials.com/fivedials. A free .pdf-format literature mag. I've only read the latest issue, but it seems really good. Think I found it through the PWBC blog.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #590 on: August 24, 2010, 05:59:27 AM »
on the road, breakfast of champions, pretty much any tom robbins, food of the gods, dmt: the spirit molecule
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

russ

• Rep: -10
« Reply #591 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:30:29 AM by russ »

David

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
Alkaloids: biochemistry, ecology, and medicinal applications

Margaret F Roberts, Michael Wink

"Mandragora officinarum
The Mandrake occurs around the Mediterranean and the Near East.  Because of massive roots that often have human shapes and the hallucinogenic properties related to tropane alkaloids (...scopolamine) Mandrake has long fueled the fantasies of man and has been mentioned in many old stories."

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/scopolamine/borrachero.html

the 'witches weeds', Mandrake, Datura, henbane...Sacred Weeds Henbane 2/5

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:00:37 AM by David »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #593 on: August 24, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »

I have to read this book for AP Lang, not digging it.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #594 on: August 24, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Absolute masterpiece.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDc5iadh_sE

David

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: August 25, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:13:19 AM by David »

yobzobbler

• Rep: -21
« Reply #596 on: August 25, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »

I have to read this book for AP Lang, not digging it.

those classes pay off big time. im done with english/history now and have a great fucking schedule thusly - only one class tomorrow, friday's off. my busiest days i have 3. most kids im with never took ap classes and are doing 4 classes a fucking day, 8 total a week. that's brutal in college.

peacebrother

• Rep: 11
« Reply #597 on: August 30, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
Dark, fucked, quick read.
I highly recommend this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzrHevR1Hjs
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:57:01 PM by peacebrother »

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #598 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Absolute masterpiece.

I wasn't sure before, but now I'm certain you're a fake account.  Almost too perfect, that's what gave you away.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #599 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:20 AM »
Remains of the Day Get your dignity on.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW