Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431110 times)

David

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #600 on: August 31, 2010, 04:18:43 AM »

Inanimate Object

« Reply #601 on: August 31, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »

The most poignant tale of a middle-aged architect fucking a bunch of supermodels. Seriously, it's actually sad and moving.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
Remains of the Day Get your dignity on.
i've had my eye on this for months now, i hover over it every time i enter a bookstore.  worth it?

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

ed...

• Rep: 57
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2010, 02:20:14 AM »
For all the Vonnegut fans:

http://www.youtube.com/user/crippledfonzzz#g/c/D46801A7DCD09812

a lecture entitled "How to Get a Job Like Mine". Really good way to spend 50 minutes if you have them to spare

Buddy G

« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
Dark, fucked, quick read.
I highly recommend this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzrHevR1Hjs

all the books of his that i've read have been very good. he really can't stand muslims though.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #606 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:39 AM »
just read this:

quite liked it, compelled to read some of her poetry now

currently reading these:

really blown away by sontag thus far, I've always heard people talking about this book and finally got around to borrowing it.  a lot of writing on photography/fine art I find are either too simplistic or incredibly convoluted. it's refreshing to read a book of essays on the subject that is not a chore, and insightful

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #607 on: September 02, 2010, 04:25:24 AM »
Cyrano de Bergerac. Great book. Right now reading Hardball.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #608 on: September 02, 2010, 05:06:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This is one of those books that I was supposed to read in high school and maybe got through 2 chapters cause I thought it was boring. I recently read it again and it's a brutal and consuming tale. Also, a historically significant piece, mainly for the way it exposed how grotesque and unhealthy the conditions were in the meat packing industry during the turn of the century.

Also, vivid descriptions of industrial Chicago, life for new immigrants during this time, political corruption, and the terrible conditions that manual laborers had to face every day.
[close]
just picked this up, can't wait to read. gotta finish 'in cold blood' first.
[close]

If I were to judge a book by it's cover, I'd say that one looks pretty righteous.  Is that a Charles Burns design?

i had to look it up and yup, it's a charles burns cover. it's funny how easily distinctive his work is.

(oh, and frank gerwer's nose, i haven't read less than zero yet. i know i have to read that before imperial bedrooms though. i just love everything bret easton ellis does, so i plan on reading both those books back to back before the year's over.)

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #609 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »

the sheer size of it (and the introduction) makes it a bit daunting, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. Can't wait.

definitely try and make it through, totally worth it. the book takes awhile to pick up (about 300 pages) but after that it will hopefully suck you in. around that point it starts to explain the setting and it gets more and more hilarious. im about 2/3rds through and have nothing to do for 2 weeks so im just gonna try and finish this thing    
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
« Reply #610 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »

cool book.  gets slow in certain areas, but overall a really interesting read.  it's pretty crazy how we could all easily die at any moment.

read this in like 2 days.  cooking bomb shit is tight.  one of the few joys in life.

first bukowski i've read in a while.  everything else just seems stupid and contrived compared to bukowski.  for once the hipsters are onto something.  sometimes shit's so good even the kooks get it right. 

everypennyfedcar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
  • Getting paid like a biker with the best crank.
« Reply #611 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »

first bukowski i've read in a while.  everything else just seems stupid and contrived compared to bukowski.  for once the hipsters are onto something.  sometimes shit's so good even the kooks get it right. 
Good ole Nicky, best dick in Los Angeles.
That book was funny, I really liked what Bukowski did with that genre.
Spray it like a high-rank sniper in the West Bank.

Bryan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
I have to read "The Fountainhead" for AP language, anybody read it?

few123456789

« Reply #613 on: September 05, 2010, 12:10:04 AM »

One of my favorites along with Atlas Shrugged.  Don't tell the Gipper.

I just got done reading this (I typically stick to biographies/history, finance and political books) and thought it was good.  So is the movie:

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2010, 12:27:27 AM »
ayn rand doesn't understand reality.
life poser

LesbianPUNCH

« Reply #615 on: September 05, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
http://www.ajjacobs.com/content/home.asp

I'm reading The Year of Living Biblically, one of the most hilarious and thought provoking books I've ever read.  Check it out.  I'm sure anything A.J. Jacobs writes is equally entertaining.

And yeah, I've read The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and Anthem.  I'd say Fountainhead is my favorite.  Wonderful, well-thought out characters, and an interesting though definitely warped take on reality.  Atlas Shrugged was exhausting, obnoxious (the last 70 pages express, through the words of a character broadcasting via radio to the entire world, the most redundant speech of all time, her philosophy...70 pages...,) and did a poor job trying to accomplish what the Fountainhead already established.  Her perception of reality in The Fountainhead is almost believable, but reading Atlas Shrugged almost made me doubt the credibility of her other work.  Anthem is good.  Very similar to The Giver.  A short read.

I think you'll dig the Fountainhead.   

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #616 on: September 05, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »

read this in like 2 days.  cooking bomb shit is tight.  one of the few joys in life.

I love that book.  I guess this just came out:

I'll have to read it soon.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »

Just finished

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »

Just finished

this just came out this year, right? the last Daniel Clowes i read was this

The Death Ray. it was so enjoyable. how's Wilson?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
Wilson can make you laugh and feel depressed.

A good read. It's more a collection of self-contained vignettes, but they're laid out sequentially so there's a bigger picture/story.

Mackattack

« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

Just finished

From the art and reviews i read, this seems to be right up my alley. Ordered that hoe.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #621 on: September 11, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
Picked up 'Imperial Bedrooms' a few weeks ago but I haven't been able to really get into it. This week in my Lit class we're discussing an excerpt of The Divine Comedy, so I'll be reading that this weekend. I'm actually really looking forward to it.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #622 on: September 11, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
Anything H.P. Lovecraft, William Burroughs, Ken Kesey, Clive Barker. On a random note, Marilyn Manson's autobiography was cool. It really allows you to see that he exaggerated  a lot of shit in his life, or just over complicated shit. You expect him to of had a fucked up life but in reality it was just a weird childhood combined with evangelist christian beliefs forced upon him in school, which he rejected by the only way he knew how,  forming a homo erotic super group of dopefiends.

Ray bradburys something wicked this way comes is tight.
even the steven

acider

« Reply #623 on: September 13, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
just ordered these two on amazon:

im sure half of american's interested in books are reading this right now, but whatever the review in the economist sold it for me and i am psyched on it.  seeing him on the cover of time kind of bummed me out though

i was kind of weary of buying a book written by a gang member cause most of the ones ive seen rely more on how shocking gang life is rather than skillful prose or interesting insight.  however, i read some of this on the google books preview and needed it right away.  he is an excellent story teller and makes some interesting comparisons between gang wars and actual wars, but ill admit that being comletely detached from what he is talking about is one of the main reasons i am so interested in the stories.

Tom Bombadil

• Rep: 7
« Reply #624 on: September 13, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
Although I haven't perused this entire thread, I would assume Kurt Vonnegut's  Slaughterhouse Five has been recommended, and if it has so indeed, I re-recommend it. Brilliant little novel. Absolutely hilarious, absurd, and not to mention thought-provoking. And don't forget to read Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. Although it's hard to catch all his zings in Middle English, they are abundant nonetheless.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #625 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »

I'll just read this fine piece of late 19th century realist literature on that grassy patch by the tree over there in my wool cardigan while maintaining a look of detachment. Watch in awe gentlemen as the fine females of the French Literature department come crawling over to bandy for my attention and perhaps the opportunity to suckle on my cock.

My intellectual pursuits has paid off well.

PS

This chocolate milk makes me really gassy. Been farting for hours now.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #626 on: October 01, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

I plan on reading all of Dashiell Hammet's novels sequentially.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #627 on: October 01, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

Mackattack

« Reply #628 on: October 01, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
Women by Bukowski and Tropic of Cancer by Miller

I lent my copy of Women to my friend and he went and lost it :(

« Reply #629 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »