Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431146 times)

kilgore.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #720 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »
the stranger is in my opinion the best under 200 page book ever written, without question.

it is also my favorite, because the same thing the character suffered mentally is what i suffered (depersonalization) but i have not killed anyone yet. it's just relates to my personal experiences like no other book has yet to do.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #721 on: November 30, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »
the stranger is in my opinion the best under 200 page book ever written, without question.

it is also my favorite, because the same thing the character suffered mentally is what i suffered (depersonalization) but i have not killed anyone yet. it's just relates to my personal experiences like no other book has yet to do.

it hit pretty close to home for me as well.

And now I know where Robert Smith got the inspiration for the song "killing an Arab".

Inbred Jed

« Reply #722 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:52 AM »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #723 on: December 01, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »
I finally finished reading All The Pretty Horses last night and after reading it, Cormac's writing skills make me feel like shit. I plan on picking up the Stranger tomorrow to see what all the buzz is about.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #724 on: December 04, 2010, 03:03:31 AM »

Books are weird man.  Such a long personal experience.  It's really difficult to talk to people about what you liked about a book.  I find that even when I am talking to someone who has read the same one as me the conversation is usually just "Yeah, that's a good one."  Only time it really works is when you and the other person are reading it at the same time.

Damn.  I had this one in my backpack when I came to Santa Cruz.  I crept in my pack secretly once because I didn't know if you might judge me on my book choice since you're the big time literature major and all!  I've been daydreaming about camping and fishing for a few days since reading The Big Two-Hearted River.  

I've been reading a lot of Hemingway the last few months.  Going to try and pick up A Movable Feast in the next few days.  

I like how most of Hemingway's stuff leaves you with a somber feeling at the end.  I remember finishing A Farewell to Arms at 2 or 3 in the morning and thinking "Fuck!" and then feeling like I was going to have a hard time falling asleep.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:29:31 AM by forks/knives save lives »

wheee!

VictoriousOG

« Reply #725 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
Finished The Stranger in 5 reads and damn was it good.  I like the first half because when I read it, I felt warm in the mind, I don't know how to explain it.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #726 on: December 07, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »

Almost done with this book, a really great read if you're interested in any of the bands featured.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

strangefires

« Reply #727 on: December 07, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
Finished The Stranger in 5 reads and damn was it good.  I like the first half because when I read it, I felt warm in the mind, I don't know how to explain it.

probably over-heating your brain cells

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #728 on: December 07, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it hit pretty close to home for me as well.

And now I know where Robert Smith got the inspiration for the song "killing an Arab".

or electric wizard's "return trip"

VictoriousOG

« Reply #729 on: December 07, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »
Going to start reading this tonight:

Anyone know some really good short novels?

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #730 on: December 20, 2010, 02:18:41 AM »
Got this yesterday for a train ride and got about halfway through it already.

Seems good so far. I like reading about other people's dark places and hedonistic ruin.

I also looked at some HP Lovecraft book at the shop, are his works worth looking into, and what would be a good starting point? I'm not usually a big fan of fantasy or horror fiction, but I'm at a loss with current literature and have been looking in to the classics more. Also, I'm a fan of minimalistic writing, and while reading the Master and Margarita it was kinda weary for me that there was always 2-3 pages of setting the scene before anything of value happens.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #731 on: December 20, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »
^^ there are various "best of H.P. Lovecraft" books...  only short stories and tales. Good starting point
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

casper

« Reply #732 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #733 on: December 20, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »

Some light holiday reading. Good for some laughs.

Austin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #734 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
War and Peace by Leo Tolstay
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:08:19 PM by Austin »
I like my trucks how i like my women, Loose.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #735 on: December 23, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
this one for the second time....

casper

« Reply #736 on: December 23, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #737 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »
Got this yesterday for a train ride and got about halfway through it already.

Seems good so far. I like reading about other people's dark places and hedonistic ruin.

I also looked at some HP Lovecraft book at the shop, are his works worth looking into, and what would be a good starting point? I'm not usually a big fan of fantasy or horror fiction, but I'm at a loss with current literature and have been looking in to the classics more. Also, I'm a fan of minimalistic writing, and while reading the Master and Margarita it was kinda weary for me that there was always 2-3 pages of setting the scene before anything of value happens.

I just finished reading a book of Lovecraft stories and I was blown away.  He is for sure one of my top authors now.  The scope of his mythology in some of the last few stories he wrote was almost Tolkienish, if you know what I mean.  Definitely worth a read.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #738 on: December 24, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »
Lovecraft is the man. Mostly wrote short stories, I recommend Nyarlathotep and Dagon.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #739 on: December 26, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
randomly ended up in a barnes & noble and tried to get henry miller's tropic of cancer but they didn't have it, so i picked up tropic of capricorn, which they did have

i am not dissapoint
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #740 on: December 26, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
Has any one read "boob" from Dave Carnie?

I was just looking at it, had no idea it would be so big, not that he has ever been short of anything to say.  I figure parts of it are entertaining, but is it worth the money?
Where'd you find it? I've been looking around for it, but to no avail.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #741 on: December 26, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »

Been working my way through this one. It's like got some big words and junk.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #742 on: December 26, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
My mother (knowing I am into weird shit) bought me this for Christmas

and I've been reading this, some of the most interesting analogies I've ever read.

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
« Reply #743 on: December 26, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
Super interesting.  Kinda reminded me of the Selfish Gene.  It's about how music, writing, sports, art, comedy, etc. are all elaborate forms of sexual fitness display.  Basically, all of these activities are different ways of showing off how great your brain/body/genes are to the opposite sex.

I think I read this in high school, but I read it again because everyone on here was talking about it.  I liked it, but it was kinda like a really shitty version of Ham on Rye.  Ham on Rye's the best book ever written, though, so this was still really good.

This was painful.  It's about this dude who murders some old lady and her daughter.  Then almost the entire book is about him freaking out about it, stressing, getting sick, losing his mind, and on and on.  It was just sort of stressful.  Not a bad book, though.

noboru watanabe

• Rep: 3
« Reply #744 on: December 26, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
My mother (knowing I am into weird shit) bought me this for Christmas

and I've been reading this, some of the most interesting analogies I've ever read.

Howdy, I feel compelled to break my lurker's code of silence to agree with your post.  I highly recommend Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.  Also, the free darko blog has the best "basketball related philosophical musings" around.

While I'm at it, Raymond Chandler writes some damn good stuff as well.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #745 on: December 26, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
If you like that Murakami book, read A Wild Sheep Chase next.  I fucking love both of those books so fucking much.  Enjoy.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #746 on: December 26, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
Dance Dance Dance is a great Murakami book too

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #747 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
If you like that Murakami book, read A Wild Sheep Chase next.  I fucking love both of those books so fucking much.  Enjoy.
This is my personal Murakami collection.

Still need Kafka (which I've already read) and his first two novels (have to get on ebay for that).

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #748 on: December 27, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Has any one read "boob" from Dave Carnie?

I was just looking at it, had no idea it would be so big, not that he has ever been short of anything to say.  I figure parts of it are entertaining, but is it worth the money?
[close]
Where'd you find it? I've been looking around for it, but to no avail.

Local skate shop, got it through AWH skateboard distribution in Chicago.   If your shop uses them, you are in there.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #749 on: December 27, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »
This was painful.  It's about this dude who murders some old lady and her daughter.  Then almost the entire book is about him freaking out about it, stressing, getting sick, losing his mind, and on and on.  It was just sort of stressful.  Not a bad book, though.

Okay.
Now, no insult to your intelligence or opinion, but if you think this book is just about a murder and some dude ''freaking out about it'', then Sarah Palin is the new Nikolas Tesla.

This book is about so much more than 99.99999999% of what all other books can adduce. That being said, if you didn't enjoy it that much, then that's your decision - and I respect that. I just think that there are so many themes and issues implicitly addressed in this book that it is considered one of, if not, the most venerable book of all time.

If somebody asks me to recommend a book I generally either suggest either of the classics, 1984 or Crime and Punshment; the former because it deals with more accessible issues to society. It is also conventionally a great novel. However I would refer the latter as there's a subtlety to Dostoyevsky's writing that is no longer achieved in modern literature; the depiction of his mental state, the description of the horror of (the) murder, the delineation of Russia in the nineteenth century, solitude.

Dostoyevsky wrote this after having been in exile for five years in Siberia. If the ending of the book didn't make you cry, then just listen to Blink 182 and get a face tattoo.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:04:45 PM by Smurph »