Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431315 times)

bangkadang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
Re: books to read
« Reply #750 on: December 27, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »
had to read night by elie wiesel for school, its really fucking intense, great book

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #751 on: December 27, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
« Reply #752 on: December 27, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
Expand Quote
This was painful.  It's about this dude who murders some old lady and her daughter.  Then almost the entire book is about him freaking out about it, stressing, getting sick, losing his mind, and on and on.  It was just sort of stressful.  Not a bad book, though.

[close]
Okay.
Now, no insult to your intelligence or opinion, but if you think this book is just about a murder and some dude ''freaking out about it'', then Sarah Palin is the new Nikolas Tesla.

This book is about so much more than 99.99999999% of what all other books can adduce. That being said, if you didn't enjoy it that much, then that's your decision - and I respect that. I just think that there are so many themes and issues implicitly addressed in this book that it is considered one of, if not, the most venerable book of all time.

If somebody asks me to recommend a book I generally either suggest either of the classics, 1984 or Crime and Punshment; the former because it deals with more accessible issues to society. It is also conventionally a great novel. However I would refer the latter as there's a subtlety to Dostoyevsky's writing that is no longer achieved in modern literature; the depiction of his mental state, the description of the horror of (the) murder, the delineation of Russia in the nineteenth century, solitude.

Dostoyevsky wrote this after having been in exile for five years in Siberia. If the ending of the book didn't make you cry, then just listen to Blink 182 and get a face tattoo.
Just my honest opinion, bro.  I obviously wasn't trying to include every theme and nuance in the book in the couple of sentences I wrote.  I like it when other people give a quick synopses and/or opinion about what they've read on here, so I do the same.  It helps me get ideas about what I'd like to read next.  Like I said, it was not a bad book, but I just didn't really enjoy reading it.  It just didn't hit home to me and I didn't think the major themes were anything too mind blowing.  Yes, people in power kill and they're made heros; poor people kill and they're murderers.  I think most people understand this.  Maybe not.  It definitely wasn't revelatory to me.  I also found the main character to be pretty annoying.  I felt bad for the poor mother that had to deal with a selfish person of a son fucking up her life.  On the other hand, I really liked some parts of it.  I don't know...I could go on, but why bother?  I'm aware that the great weight of literary thought is against me on this one, but I don't really care.  I was just giving my honest impression.  Maybe I missed something huge.  Feel free to enlighten me if you'd like. 

Eric Harris

« Reply #753 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #754 on: December 27, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
This was painful.  It's about this dude who murders some old lady and her daughter.  Then almost the entire book is about him freaking out about it, stressing, getting sick, losing his mind, and on and on.  It was just sort of stressful.  Not a bad book, though.

[close]
Okay.
Now, no insult to your intelligence or opinion, but if you think this book is just about a murder and some dude ''freaking out about it'', then Sarah Palin is the new Nikolas Tesla.

This book is about so much more than 99.99999999% of what all other books can adduce. That being said, if you didn't enjoy it that much, then that's your decision - and I respect that. I just think that there are so many themes and issues implicitly addressed in this book that it is considered one of, if not, the most venerable book of all time.

If somebody asks me to recommend a book I generally either suggest either of the classics, 1984 or Crime and Punshment; the former because it deals with more accessible issues to society. It is also conventionally a great novel. However I would refer the latter as there's a subtlety to Dostoyevsky's writing that is no longer achieved in modern literature; the depiction of his mental state, the description of the horror of (the) murder, the delineation of Russia in the nineteenth century, solitude.

Dostoyevsky wrote this after having been in exile for five years in Siberia. If the ending of the book didn't make you cry, then just listen to Blink 182 and get a face tattoo.

Did you ever read Nabokov's lecture where he just tore Crime and Punishment, and Dostoyevsky in general, apart? I've never read Crime and Punishment or Dostoyevsky (I think), but Nabokov's descriptions don't make me eager to read him and they make me wonder if his ability has been blown out of proportion.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #755 on: December 28, 2010, 02:53:05 AM »
dostoyevsky>>>>>>>>>>>nabokov.

by a mile
easily.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #756 on: December 29, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
I forgot about this thread for a while. Here's what I've been up to for the past while (as if anyone cares)

Really good. Funny insights into phony intellectualism and consumerism. I haven't read any other DeLillo novels but this one seems to be a good starting point.

A quick and funny read. It's a good take on the many angles of conspiracy theories. The self-aware used car salesman still cracks me up.

For whatever reason I wanted to read a cyberpunk book. It's alright, but it would have been way more jawdropping if I had read it in the 80's when it was all new ideas. Some of the concepts are more relevant today though. I'm waiting to read Snow Crash; that sounds as if it's the best cyberpunk (or mock) novel.

Pretty typical Vonnegut book which means I really like it. Not his best but definitely not his worst. If you want some laughs and some observations towards the fucked up nature of humans this book is for you.

"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Des Esseintes

• Rep: 21
« Reply #757 on: December 29, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »
Expand Quote
If you like that Murakami book, read A Wild Sheep Chase next.  I fucking love both of those books so fucking much.  Enjoy.
[close]
This is my personal Murakami collection.

Still need Kafka (which I've already read) and his first two novels (have to get on ebay for that).

Hear the wind sing will cost you about a tenner or so, mate. So just stop by ebay for that one.

Pinball can cost about a hundred quid though. You can read that one online fortunately.

http://www.betz.lu/media/users/charel/pinball1973.pdf

yeah dude!

« Reply #758 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »

I guess a lot of people think it's too similar to The Corrections (aaaand they're sort of right) but Freedom is the best book I've read in a while.

???

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #759 on: December 30, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
I forgot about this thread for a while. Here's what I've been up to for the past while (as if anyone cares)

Really good. Funny insights into phony intellectualism and consumerism. I haven't read any other DeLillo novels but this one seems to be a good starting point.

This is a great book and also the only one of his that I have read. I hear good things about his other works. I should re-read this one.

lighting

• Rep: -19
« Reply #760 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
just read this today, now i know.
then I wuz
couchlocked
til' tha
morning

VictoriousOG

« Reply #761 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
Has anyone here had their hand at writing they're own novel?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #762 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »

It sucks and it's hard. I barely got anywhere before I hit a major writer's block/lack of free time.

edit: Which makes me even more amazed by the author's who have such a huge catalog of (legitimate) works.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #763 on: December 30, 2010, 10:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It sucks and it's hard. I barely got anywhere before I hit a major writer's block/lack of free time.

edit: Which makes me even more amazed by the author's who have such a huge catalog of (legitimate) works.
I have an idea, and have had others. I just can never stretch out any idea to no more than a short story. I especially get discouraged to even write one when reading a book and thinking I could never write as well. Writing a novel is definitely a life goal I would love to reach.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #764 on: January 01, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has any one read "boob" from Dave Carnie?

I was just looking at it, had no idea it would be so big, not that he has ever been short of anything to say.  I figure parts of it are entertaining, but is it worth the money?
[close]
Where'd you find it? I've been looking around for it, but to no avail.
[close]

Local skate shop, got it through AWH skateboard distribution in Chicago.   If your shop uses them, you are in there.

I need this.
and this

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #765 on: January 01, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
I have an idea, and have had others. I just can never stretch out any idea to no more than a short story. I especially get discouraged to even write one when reading a book and thinking I could never write as well. Writing a novel is definitely a life goal I would love to reach.
Life experience.

I don't mean to sound condescending. Actually screw that, I do; I would never read some novel by a teenage skateboarder from Texas.

The best novels are authoritative and unique They illustrate an effigy/place/person that nobody else can. Not that I'm in the position to tell anyone how to write a book, but if you're inspiration hasn't been aroused and you feel that you really do have the literary skills to produce a compelling novel, then don't worry. You're seventeen/eighteen or some shit right? Assuming you're still in school, I can attest that you will learn alot about yourself when you leave school. Honestly, when you start travelling/doing shit in your own (generally being outside you're comfort zone) you will really start to formulate an articulate viewpoint...

VictoriousOG

« Reply #766 on: January 01, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
I agree with that,and do believe that will happen. But the comment on being a skateboarder wouldn't really matter. Cause no one is going to put a book down if they found whoever wrote the book skated when he was young. And I don't expect to finish it within this year, and three years if I'm lucky. I want to take my time with it. I have a friend whose dad has been writing the same novel for 16 years.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #767 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
But the comment on being a skateboarder wouldn't really matter. Cause no one is going to put a book down if they found whoever wrote the book skated when he was young.
No, I'm saying if you, as a skateboarder, wrote a book right now, I would just refuse to read it.

Though I know some people will disagree with this sentiment, I think that skateboarders as a whole, are unfulfilled, illiterate, uneducated, predictable wastes-of-life. Really, I've met skateboarders from all over the world and honestly, ~90% of them were just plain dull and seemed to have no opinion about history/current affairs/life. Skating/weed is generally the extent of discourse with skateboarders the world over. Take for instance that enjoi smart contest video - with the exception of Jerry Hsu and Louie Barletta (who was just joking for most answers) it was appalling to see how little grown men knew about the world that they've been living in for so long. 'We' as skateboarders get frustrated with the disrespect we are bestowed on a daily basis but how can we command any form of respect when we can't even recall the names of five presidents...

Then again you've always got people like Spike Jonze, Mark Gonzalez to restore your faith...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:08:24 PM by Smurph »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #768 on: January 01, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
Yeah I totally agree, people just take skateboarders for retards, but we're really not with the exception of a few people.

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #769 on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
Just got done with "The Steve Machine" by Mike Hoolboom a visual artist from toronto who has been living with HIV for two decades.

Its basically a plauge novel that twists reality to deals with some dark situations in a refreshing way.

another good read from the free stuff table in my laundry room!

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #770 on: January 01, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
There is absolutely no shame in being a short stories writer.

Fuck, it's a totally different animal.

I'm surprised that not more of you SLAP dudes read Raymond Carver's stories.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #771 on: January 02, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
Yeah I totally agree, people just take skateboarders for retards, but we're really not with the exception of a few people.

Wait, I think you lack reading comprehension skills.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #772 on: January 02, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is a great book and also the only one of his that I have read. I hear good things about his other works. I should re-read this one.

WHITE NOISE is fantastic.  i enjoyed MAO II and AMERICANA also
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #773 on: January 02, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »

The only book at the beach house that looked interesting, about Megalodon sharks and shit.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #774 on: January 02, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »

That is the exact opposite of what he just said. You should probably try to master the reading of short paragraphs before you attempt that novel, big guy.

Mackattack

« Reply #775 on: January 02, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
Leonard Cohen is one incomprehensibly talented son of a bitch...

I'm 14 pages into this book, and it's already one of the top ten books I've read in my relatively short lifetime.

Strange Firefighter

• Rep: -16
« Reply #776 on: January 03, 2011, 02:19:06 AM »

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #777 on: January 03, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

picking this up again after only getting a hundred or so pages in when I put it down. I have a hard time finishing books sometimes.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #778 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

I read a collection of his called "Where I'm Calling From" recently.  Some good stuff in there.  I like how his stories are all pretty basic plotwise, but there's good depth to 'em.  He manages to squeeze a lot into a few pages.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #779 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I read a collection of his called "Where I'm Calling From" recently.  Some good stuff in there.  I like how his stories are all pretty basic plotwise, but there's good depth to 'em.  He manages to squeeze a lot into a few pages.

I've only read "Cathedral" in some antology, been meaning to check out some more of his stuff. I remember some guying referring to Carver's style as "Post-Alcoholic Blue-Collar Minimalist Hyperrealism". Pretty fitting.