Author Topic: books to read  (Read 247646 times)

???

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
Re: books to read
« Reply #780 on: December 30, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
I forgot about this thread for a while. Here's what I've been up to for the past while (as if anyone cares)

Really good. Funny insights into phony intellectualism and consumerism. I haven't read any other DeLillo novels but this one seems to be a good starting point.

This is a great book and also the only one of his that I have read. I hear good things about his other works. I should re-read this one.

lighting

• Rep: -19
« Reply #781 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
just read this today, now i know.
then I wuz
couchlocked
til' tha
morning

VictoriousOG

« Reply #782 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
Has anyone here had their hand at writing they're own novel?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #783 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »

It sucks and it's hard. I barely got anywhere before I hit a major writer's block/lack of free time.

edit: Which makes me even more amazed by the author's who have such a huge catalog of (legitimate) works.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #784 on: December 30, 2010, 10:52:41 PM »

It sucks and it's hard. I barely got anywhere before I hit a major writer's block/lack of free time.

edit: Which makes me even more amazed by the author's who have such a huge catalog of (legitimate) works.
I have an idea, and have had others. I just can never stretch out any idea to no more than a short story. I especially get discouraged to even write one when reading a book and thinking I could never write as well. Writing a novel is definitely a life goal I would love to reach.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #785 on: January 01, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Has any one read "boob" from Dave Carnie?

I was just looking at it, had no idea it would be so big, not that he has ever been short of anything to say.  I figure parts of it are entertaining, but is it worth the money?
Where'd you find it? I've been looking around for it, but to no avail.

Local skate shop, got it through AWH skateboard distribution in Chicago.   If your shop uses them, you are in there.

I need this.
and this

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #786 on: January 01, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
I have an idea, and have had others. I just can never stretch out any idea to no more than a short story. I especially get discouraged to even write one when reading a book and thinking I could never write as well. Writing a novel is definitely a life goal I would love to reach.
Life experience.

I don't mean to sound condescending. Actually screw that, I do; I would never read some novel by a teenage skateboarder from Texas.

The best novels are authoritative and unique They illustrate an effigy/place/person that nobody else can. Not that I'm in the position to tell anyone how to write a book, but if you're inspiration hasn't been aroused and you feel that you really do have the literary skills to produce a compelling novel, then don't worry. You're seventeen/eighteen or some shit right? Assuming you're still in school, I can attest that you will learn alot about yourself when you leave school. Honestly, when you start travelling/doing shit in your own (generally being outside you're comfort zone) you will really start to formulate an articulate viewpoint...

VictoriousOG

« Reply #787 on: January 01, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
I agree with that,and do believe that will happen. But the comment on being a skateboarder wouldn't really matter. Cause no one is going to put a book down if they found whoever wrote the book skated when he was young. And I don't expect to finish it within this year, and three years if I'm lucky. I want to take my time with it. I have a friend whose dad has been writing the same novel for 16 years.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #788 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
But the comment on being a skateboarder wouldn't really matter. Cause no one is going to put a book down if they found whoever wrote the book skated when he was young.
No, I'm saying if you, as a skateboarder, wrote a book right now, I would just refuse to read it.

Though I know some people will disagree with this sentiment, I think that skateboarders as a whole, are unfulfilled, illiterate, uneducated, predictable wastes-of-life. Really, I've met skateboarders from all over the world and honestly, ~90% of them were just plain dull and seemed to have no opinion about history/current affairs/life. Skating/weed is generally the extent of discourse with skateboarders the world over. Take for instance that enjoi smart contest video - with the exception of Jerry Hsu and Louie Barletta (who was just joking for most answers) it was appalling to see how little grown men knew about the world that they've been living in for so long. 'We' as skateboarders get frustrated with the disrespect we are bestowed on a daily basis but how can we command any form of respect when we can't even recall the names of five presidents...

Then again you've always got people like Spike Jonze, Mark Gonzalez to restore your faith...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:08:24 PM by Smurph »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #789 on: January 01, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
Yeah I totally agree, people just take skateboarders for retards, but we're really not with the exception of a few people.

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com
« Reply #790 on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
Just got done with "The Steve Machine" by Mike Hoolboom a visual artist from toronto who has been living with HIV for two decades.

Its basically a plauge novel that twists reality to deals with some dark situations in a refreshing way.

another good read from the free stuff table in my laundry room!

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #791 on: January 01, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
There is absolutely no shame in being a short stories writer.

Fuck, it's a totally different animal.

I'm surprised that not more of you SLAP dudes read Raymond Carver's stories.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #792 on: January 02, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
Yeah I totally agree, people just take skateboarders for retards, but we're really not with the exception of a few people.

Wait, I think you lack reading comprehension skills.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #793 on: January 02, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
I forgot about this thread for a while. Here's what I've been up to for the past while (as if anyone cares)

Really good. Funny insights into phony intellectualism and consumerism. I haven't read any other DeLillo novels but this one seems to be a good starting point.

This is a great book and also the only one of his that I have read. I hear good things about his other works. I should re-read this one.

WHITE NOISE is fantastic.  i enjoyed MAO II and AMERICANA also
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #794 on: January 02, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »

The only book at the beach house that looked interesting, about Megalodon sharks and shit.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #795 on: January 02, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »

That is the exact opposite of what he just said. You should probably try to master the reading of short paragraphs before you attempt that novel, big guy.

Mackattack

« Reply #796 on: January 02, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
Leonard Cohen is one incomprehensibly talented son of a bitch...

I'm 14 pages into this book, and it's already one of the top ten books I've read in my relatively short lifetime.

Strange Firefighter

• Rep: -16
« Reply #797 on: January 03, 2011, 02:19:06 AM »

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #798 on: January 03, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

picking this up again after only getting a hundred or so pages in when I put it down. I have a hard time finishing books sometimes.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
    • Turd Magazine
« Reply #799 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

I read a collection of his called "Where I'm Calling From" recently.  Some good stuff in there.  I like how his stories are all pretty basic plotwise, but there's good depth to 'em.  He manages to squeeze a lot into a few pages.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #800 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »

I read a collection of his called "Where I'm Calling From" recently.  Some good stuff in there.  I like how his stories are all pretty basic plotwise, but there's good depth to 'em.  He manages to squeeze a lot into a few pages.

I've only read "Cathedral" in some antology, been meaning to check out some more of his stuff. I remember some guying referring to Carver's style as "Post-Alcoholic Blue-Collar Minimalist Hyperrealism". Pretty fitting.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • reptiles
« Reply #801 on: January 03, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »

picking this up again after only getting a hundred or so pages in when I put it down. I have a hard time finishing books sometimes.

it only gets harder. enjoy the pages that require a mirror to read or that are written in a spiral.

i'm kind of taking a break from "serious" literature and am reading clive barker's "books of blood 1-3." i usually hate people that act like low brow is somehow always more fun than serious or interesting anything, but i totally forgot how breezy reading can be until you pick up someone like stephen king again. a lot of stories in books of blood are good writing wise, clive barker isn't going to be getting a nobel or anything, but i'll be damned if 50 pages minimum don't go by every time i pick it up. it's like popcorn.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #802 on: January 03, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
just got a couple new ones for christmas:

a moveable feast by hemingway

everything is illuminated by foer

revenge of the lawn/the abortion/ so the wind won't blow it all away by richard brautigan

self help by lorrie moore

a confederacy of dunces by john kennedy toole

tuque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #803 on: January 03, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
I read A Movable Feast and it made me want to read some F. Scott Fitzgerald.  The Great Gatsby was a good short read.  I couldn't put it down.  This one is a bit slower but I'm still enjoying it.

I also got a Paul Auster book for Christmas that was a real page turner.  I want to read more  from him, 

My older sister keeps recommending White Noise so I'm sure I'll pick that one up at some point. 

wheee!

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #804 on: January 04, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
I read A Movable Feast and it made me want to read some F. Scott Fitzgerald.  The Great Gatsby was a good short read.  I couldn't put it down.  This one is a bit slower but I'm still enjoying it.

I also got a Paul Auster book for Christmas that was a real page turner.  I want to read more  from him, 

My older sister keeps recommending White Noise so I'm sure I'll pick that one up at some point. 
Yes! I just started New York Trilogy, it's my first foray into Paul Auster's books.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #805 on: January 04, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »

it only gets harder. enjoy the pages that require a mirror to read or that are written in a spiral.

i'm kind of taking a break from "serious" literature and am reading clive barker's "books of blood 1-3." i usually hate people that act like low brow is somehow always more fun than serious or interesting anything, but i totally forgot how breezy reading can be until you pick up someone like stephen king again. a lot of stories in books of blood are good writing wise, clive barker isn't going to be getting a nobel or anything, but i'll be damned if 50 pages minimum don't go by every time i pick it up. it's like popcorn.

that book is crazy

i just started this

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #806 on: January 04, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »

This is a great book and also the only one of his that I have read. I hear good things
about his other works. I should re-read this one.
'Hitler Studies.'

This one's for the Gipper,
http://www.geist.com/essays/leading-men

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:04:48 PM by David »

Buddy G

« Reply #807 on: January 04, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

i love f scott fitzgerald and the whole jazz age thing, the ending of this side of paradise killed me.
i'm reading the beautiful and the damned at the moment and it's a pretty good read. after that i'm going on to invisible by paul auster, i'm looking forward to it, new york trilogy is an amazing book.

i got a kindle recently and fucking love it, definitely think i'll be reading more now.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
« Reply #808 on: January 04, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »

I once tried but gave up after about 20 pages. It felt like I was trying to stretch everything out and it just got boring as hell. I really enjoy writing short stories though. Maybe I'd have to think of each chapter as a short story.

I just read Catcher in the Rye for the first time. It's a great book and I suggest reading it if you haven't.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #809 on: January 07, 2011, 01:34:18 AM »
Leonard Cohen is one incomprehensibly talented son of a bitch...

I'm 14 pages into this book, and it's already one of the top ten books I've read in my relatively short lifetime.

yes.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius