Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431321 times)

CUDDLEMONSTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #780 on: January 03, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »

picking this up again after only getting a hundred or so pages in when I put it down. I have a hard time finishing books sometimes.

it only gets harder. enjoy the pages that require a mirror to read or that are written in a spiral.

i'm kind of taking a break from "serious" literature and am reading clive barker's "books of blood 1-3." i usually hate people that act like low brow is somehow always more fun than serious or interesting anything, but i totally forgot how breezy reading can be until you pick up someone like stephen king again. a lot of stories in books of blood are good writing wise, clive barker isn't going to be getting a nobel or anything, but i'll be damned if 50 pages minimum don't go by every time i pick it up. it's like popcorn.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #781 on: January 03, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
just got a couple new ones for christmas:

a moveable feast by hemingway

everything is illuminated by foer

revenge of the lawn/the abortion/ so the wind won't blow it all away by richard brautigan

self help by lorrie moore

a confederacy of dunces by john kennedy toole

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #782 on: January 03, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
I read A Movable Feast and it made me want to read some F. Scott Fitzgerald.  The Great Gatsby was a good short read.  I couldn't put it down.  This one is a bit slower but I'm still enjoying it.

I also got a Paul Auster book for Christmas that was a real page turner.  I want to read more  from him, 

My older sister keeps recommending White Noise so I'm sure I'll pick that one up at some point. 

wheee!

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #783 on: January 04, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
I read A Movable Feast and it made me want to read some F. Scott Fitzgerald.  The Great Gatsby was a good short read.  I couldn't put it down.  This one is a bit slower but I'm still enjoying it.

I also got a Paul Auster book for Christmas that was a real page turner.  I want to read more  from him, 

My older sister keeps recommending White Noise so I'm sure I'll pick that one up at some point. 
Yes! I just started New York Trilogy, it's my first foray into Paul Auster's books.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #784 on: January 04, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »
Expand Quote

picking this up again after only getting a hundred or so pages in when I put it down. I have a hard time finishing books sometimes.
[close]

it only gets harder. enjoy the pages that require a mirror to read or that are written in a spiral.

i'm kind of taking a break from "serious" literature and am reading clive barker's "books of blood 1-3." i usually hate people that act like low brow is somehow always more fun than serious or interesting anything, but i totally forgot how breezy reading can be until you pick up someone like stephen king again. a lot of stories in books of blood are good writing wise, clive barker isn't going to be getting a nobel or anything, but i'll be damned if 50 pages minimum don't go by every time i pick it up. it's like popcorn.

that book is crazy

i just started this

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #785 on: January 04, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I forgot about this thread for a while. Here's what I've been up to for the past while (as if anyone cares)

Really good. Funny insights into phony intellectualism and consumerism. I haven't read any other DeLillo novels but this one seems to be a good starting point.

[close]

This is a great book and also the only one of his that I have read. I hear good things
about his other works. I should re-read this one.
'Hitler Studies.'

This one's for the Gipper,
http://www.geist.com/essays/leading-men

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:04:48 PM by David »

Buddy G

« Reply #786 on: January 04, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

i love f scott fitzgerald and the whole jazz age thing, the ending of this side of paradise killed me.
i'm reading the beautiful and the damned at the moment and it's a pretty good read. after that i'm going on to invisible by paul auster, i'm looking forward to it, new york trilogy is an amazing book.

i got a kindle recently and fucking love it, definitely think i'll be reading more now.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
Has anyone here had their hand at writing they're own novel?

I once tried but gave up after about 20 pages. It felt like I was trying to stretch everything out and it just got boring as hell. I really enjoy writing short stories though. Maybe I'd have to think of each chapter as a short story.

I just read Catcher in the Rye for the first time. It's a great book and I suggest reading it if you haven't.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #788 on: January 07, 2011, 01:34:18 AM »
Leonard Cohen is one incomprehensibly talented son of a bitch...

I'm 14 pages into this book, and it's already one of the top ten books I've read in my relatively short lifetime.

yes.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #789 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:29 AM »
I got a kindle for christmas which is pretty sweet. I read 3 Raymond Chandler books and am starting Dashiell Hammett books my dad read to me when I was young. 

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #790 on: January 13, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »

Just finishing this one. It's amazing but long (you need quite a bit of free time). I would suggest it to anyone interested in old timey baseball and the Cold War. However, don't let the cover fool you. It has nothing to do with the war on terror or anything like that which might be a buzz kill for you 9/11 conspiracy types (it was written before 9/11).
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Hexagon

« Reply #791 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
Nathanael West - Collected writings

Jerzy Kosinski - "The Painted Bird"

F. Scott Fitzgerald - "Pat Hobby Stories"

David Sedaris - Everything by the man

Albert Camus - "The Stranger"

Denis Johnson - "Jesus' Son"

penguin meat

« Reply #792 on: January 13, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »
I feel like I posted this before when I was drunk sometime, but recently I was walking my dog and found a box of books in the road under a tunnel.  Picked up a copy of "On the Road" and it's turing out to be pretty decent.

Then I saw some mexicans drinking smirnoff on the curb in front of their house.  They were very nice and had a lot of questions about finding a dog like mine.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #793 on: January 13, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »

Almost done with this, and I'm still looking for the Dave Carnie book to read next. If anyone knows of a way to order it other than through kingshit, let me know.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #795 on: January 14, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »
I left a library book on the light rail. After running out of renewal chances I now owe $138. If I had that kind of cheddar I wouldn't be riding the light rail and getting my entertainment from the damn library.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #796 on: January 14, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
You could be even cheaper. Transit systems are usually good forms of entertainment in themselves; no need to go to the damn library.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #797 on: January 14, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Not to mention by not going at all you'd save transit fare.

On topic though, I just read Of Mice and Men. I guess most people read it in middle/high school, but somehow I never actually had it assigned. That's one fucked up book. Really amazing. The characters are so well written, which really makes the story. I totally understand why a teacher would assign it.

On the non-fiction front, I just read a book that is kind of esoteric, but if anybody is into education, particularly transformative education, this book is both practical and inspirational. If you are thinking of becoming a teacher and want something to inspire you, are interested in education and social issues related to it, or already are a teacher, I recommend:

background on the authors: Myles Horton founded the Highlander folk school, a school for organizers that educated leaders such as Martin Luther King jr. and Rosa Parks, as well as many other leaders of the civil rights and labor movements, his theories helped form the model for the freedom schools in Mississippi in the 1960's.
Paulo Freire is pretty much the guru of transformative education. His book "pedagogy of the oppressed" is the most assigned book in  in the top 100 education programs today, which is crazy because it is very radical.
oh, the book is available for free here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=zU8uFA4hlY0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=We+make+the+road+by+walking&hl=en&ei=pgIxTcG1H4L4sAO5wLSPBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #798 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Buddy G

« Reply #799 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
just started this.

Claude Tanner

• Rep: 24
« Reply #800 on: January 16, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

Just finishing up this one today. I like it a lot, pretty easy read (however, some of the Sumerian Mythology stuff is a bit confusing) and pretty funny.

About to start this one,

Lately I've been thinking that being a homicide detective would be a pretty bad ass career (mostly because I have been watching the Wire alot), so I'm hoping that this book scares me out of ever trying to pursue becoming a po-lice.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #801 on: January 16, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
How long does it take you guys to finish books? There's a lot I only get 1/2 to 3/4 before putting down and forgetting about it. I got to like it a lot to finish or else I'm just forcing it.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #802 on: January 16, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
I didn't see the movie but I heard it wasn't very good.
The book is really good.  All about secret military programs

cocainecowboy

• Rep: 2
« Reply #803 on: January 17, 2011, 12:41:17 AM »
i'm too lazy to look if anyone's mentioned em. but the last book I finished was Breakfast of Champions, that was really good.
i just got Atlas Shrugged, hoping to be as interesting as I've been told.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #804 on: January 17, 2011, 01:46:16 AM »
read about 3 chapters of the western canon, then had to give up as I've only read about 4 of the 20 odd books he goes into great detail about.  planning a reattempt after finishing more of the 'canon' as such.  ended up doing light reading over the holidays:

pretty interesting book about how successful people are not where they are solely because of talent or hard work, but also because of luck - whether its based on date of birth, location, or cultural background.  liked it a lot, and the idea can be transferred to skateboarding.  there a lot of talented skateboarders that went nowhere in terms of their career, while other people with the same 6 tricks live in giant mansions

not really a comics or graphic novels person, but these were great:

currently reading:

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #805 on: January 17, 2011, 06:35:36 AM »
breakfast of champions is awesome, as it Akira.

Im still waiting for my library to get the last book for me but Im pretty excited to get it done.

X'ed out looks interesting, whats it about?

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #806 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:39 AM »

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #807 on: January 17, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »
I didn't see the movie but I heard it wasn't very good.
The book is really good.  All about secret military programs

The original Jon Ronson documentary is how I heard about this stuff. Too bad it's not posted up on YouTube anymore.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #808 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
breakfast of champions is awesome, as it Akira.

Im still waiting for my library to get the last book for me but Im pretty excited to get it done.

X'ed out looks interesting, whats it about?

X'ed Out is about  a drug addled youngster having a hard time dealing with reality.  I enjoyed it, but it's supposedly only the first part of a three part storyline.  Charles Burns takes forever to come out with new stuff because he does like 10 drafts of each panel or something regular like that, so that book might leave you hanging a bit.  He's fuckin stellar though if you haven't read him before, so I'd recommend any of his other stuff, Black Hole, Big Baby, Skin Deep, it's all gravy with biscuits.

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
« Reply #809 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
Haaaaaa so stoked. Ordered some books saturday, one of which "Ol' Mah & teh C" by Hemingway, just because of it's legacy, stoked!

Also after some spiritual drug trip(xtc) I decided to get The Dharma Bums

aand I was thinking of getting The Electric Kool-Aid Acid test, but should I try LSD myself first? Won't reading it first spoil my un-acid ass?