Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431280 times)

Inanimate Object

Re: books to read
« Reply #930 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
Just finished these two:

I think this may be McCarthy's best - it's poignant in a way that a lot of his stuff isn't.

And this:

Which is like... sci-fi Siddhartha. This is probably the most original Hugo award winning book that I've read. Apparently Neil Gaiman was pretty into this book and American Gods was partially influenced by it.

Now I'm taking a break from fiction and reading this:

It's about statistics, probability, and how these things are counter-intuitive to our perception of how the universe works.

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #931 on: May 07, 2011, 08:51:46 AM »
Anyone read this?
http://thecultureconcordance.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/the-savage-detectives.jpg?w=300&h=429

Finished it last night.  Super good.  But you gotta get to the end.
Like many, the only Bola?o work I've read was 2666. Once I got to "The Part About the Crimes" it lost a lot of its steam and I lost interest.

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #932 on: May 07, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
gravity's rainbow by thomas pynchon!

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #933 on: May 07, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »

Not sure if I finished this actually but I don't really care. Way too drawn out but the double narrative was cool.

Reading this for the first time

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #934 on: May 07, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »

Which is like... sci-fi Siddhartha. This is probably the most original Hugo award winning book that I've read. Apparently Neil Gaiman was pretty into this book and American Gods was partially influenced by it.

Has anyone read American Gods? I browsed through the plot on wikipedia and it seems like something I would be into. What do you guys think?

Reading

"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

VictoriousOG

« Reply #935 on: May 09, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Picked this up at the public library.

Decided to give it a shot considering how well I liked The Stranger. Anyone have any recommendations of short novels? I'm not so good with longer considering I only read two chapters, most, at night.

Inanimate Object

« Reply #936 on: May 09, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »

Has anyone read American Gods? I browsed through the plot on wikipedia and it seems like something I would be into. What do you guys think?

If the plot appeals to you, then definitely check it out. I remember being pretty into it when I read it.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: May 09, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
^Will do.

Anyone have any recommendations of short novels? I'm not so good with longer considering I only read two chapters, most, at night.

I like to intersperse short books between long ones. Check out: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (and the rest of the five part trilogy [although I've only made it to the third so far]), The Old Man and the Sea, most Vonnegut books, The Crying of Lot 49, Animal Farm, Siddhartha, Fight Club, and The Time Machine. I don't know what your criteria is for short novels, but those all were pretty quick reads. 

I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #938 on: May 10, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
Thanks, I've read some of those, but ill look at the others. Really bummed on my public library not having any Bukowski novels, just books of his poems.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #939 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:16 AM »
just finished huck finn, it was awesome
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

VictoriousOG

« Reply #940 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »
I finished The Motel Life and it was fair.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #941 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
norwegian woodby haruki murakami.... good stuff, the movie was a good summary of it....

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Truancy

• Rep: 7
  • GFC lifestyle
« Reply #942 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
just finished huck finn, it was awesome

I just started it like 3 days ago. I find Jim to be one of the most endearing characters I've ever read.
Man enough to carry cuffs
Man enough to stand trial

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #943 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »
Finished:

loved it

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I've haven't read fight club yet, but if he writes like he does in this book it's going to be a chore.

Currently reading:

3 chapters in - sleepy town, marijuana crops, seances and a decapitated blonde. should be good. 

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #944 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
^^^

the first three palanuiak books were really easy to get into- rant, choke, and something about a tranny- after that, well with the exception of fight club, they were contrite. don't waste your time

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #945 on: May 16, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »
^^^

the first three palanuiak books were really easy to get into- rant, choke, and something about a tranny- after that, well with the exception of fight club, they were contrite. don't waste your time

Ummm...Fight Club was his first book. Choke was his fourth, and Rant was much later on in his career. The tranny one (Invisible Monsters) was the only one that was in his first three.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #946 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »
About to go to the library to pick up a new book/movie.

Mackattack

« Reply #947 on: May 16, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »

Find this and read it^

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #948 on: May 16, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Expand Quote
^^^

[close]

Ummm...Fight Club was his first book. Choke was his fourth, and Rant was much later on in his career. The tranny one (Invisible Monsters) was the only one that was in his first three.

ahhh, my bad dude!!!!! i meant to write that the FIRST THREE THAT I READ were much easier to get into!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #949 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Not a huge fan of Palanuik, seems that he writes solely for shock value. Currently reading:
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #950 on: May 16, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
Picked this up after seeing people post it so many times in this thread:

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #951 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^^^

[close]

[close]

ahhh, my bad dude!!!!! i meant to write that the FIRST THREE THAT I READ were much easier to get into!

Haha ok. Yeah, I was a little confused.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: May 16, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
To add to that, do not read Pygmy by Palahniuk. It is written so poorly. He's trying to write as a foreign exchange student and it just comes off as unreadable.

A classic. It's boring at times, but it's over a century old so it's expected. It must have been a real mind blower when it came out.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:05:56 PM by sven thorkel »

Exile on MainSt.

« Reply #953 on: May 16, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
Finished Catch-22 a few nights ago. The first half is slow but overall it is a great satire, glad I stuck with it.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #954 on: May 17, 2011, 12:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^^^

[close]

[close]

Yep, the other one was Survivor.  Chuck P has progressively gotten worse with Rant being ok.  Diary fucking sucked.  Lullaby had it's spots, but everything else was very subpar.
duly noted.  I've seen some of his short stories published in mags or online from time to time, and they vary from being semi-amusing to dull episodes of medical horror stories.

thinking of ordering this soon, anybody read it?

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #955 on: May 17, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »
You guys have recommendations for any Horror, SciFi or End of the world/Doomsday books?

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #956 on: May 17, 2011, 06:40:05 AM »
Not a huge fan of Palanuik, seems that he writes solely for shock value. Currently reading:

This and "A farewell to Arms" are my 2 fav hemmingway books. If you haven't read these get on that.

jackherer

« Reply #957 on: May 17, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »

Reading this right now, really well done.

Re-reading this at home, I can't recomend this book enough.

very nice

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »
You guys have recommendations for any Horror, SciFi or End of the world/Doomsday books?

Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I can't recommend it enough. It's hilarious. Don't be tricked by its plot synopsis or it being labeled post-cyberpunk, just read it and laugh at its take on future America.

Also, a lot of Philip K. Dick novels are pretty interesting. I've read A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. They're pretty out there but worth reading.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:32:40 AM by sven thorkel »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #959 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I can't recommend it enough. It's hilarious. Don't be tricked by its plot synopsis or it being labeled post-cyberpunk, just read it and laugh at its take on future America.

Also, a lot of Philip K. Dick novels are pretty interesting. I've read A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. They're pretty out there but worth reading.

Yeah, I was going to recommend PKD as well.  I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and enjoyed it.  Scanner Darkly and Man in the High Castle are good too.  There are points in each one where he just takes it too far for me and either can't explain it well or I can't wrap my head around it but for the most part they are just cool spot-on critiques of our modern world.  I don't read much SF though.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.