Author Topic: books to read  (Read 246936 times)

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
Re: books to read
« Reply #960 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:16 AM »
just finished huck finn, it was awesome
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

VictoriousOG

« Reply #961 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »
I finished The Motel Life and it was fair.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
  • still rocklobster
« Reply #962 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
norwegian woodby haruki murakami.... good stuff, the movie was a good summary of it....

Truancy

• Rep: 7
  • GFC lifestyle
« Reply #963 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
just finished huck finn, it was awesome

I just started it like 3 days ago. I find Jim to be one of the most endearing characters I've ever read.
Man enough to carry cuffs
Man enough to stand trial

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #964 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »
Finished:

loved it

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I've haven't read fight club yet, but if he writes like he does in this book it's going to be a chore.

Currently reading:

3 chapters in - sleepy town, marijuana crops, seances and a decapitated blonde. should be good. 

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #965 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
^^^

the first three palanuiak books were really easy to get into- rant, choke, and something about a tranny- after that, well with the exception of fight club, they were contrite. don't waste your time

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #966 on: May 16, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »
^^^

the first three palanuiak books were really easy to get into- rant, choke, and something about a tranny- after that, well with the exception of fight club, they were contrite. don't waste your time

Ummm...Fight Club was his first book. Choke was his fourth, and Rant was much later on in his career. The tranny one (Invisible Monsters) was the only one that was in his first three.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #967 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »
About to go to the library to pick up a new book/movie.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #968 on: May 16, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
^^^

Ummm...Fight Club was his first book. Choke was his fourth, and Rant was much later on in his career. The tranny one (Invisible Monsters) was the only one that was in his first three.

Yep, the other one was Survivor.  Chuck P has progressively gotten worse with Rant being ok.  Diary fucking sucked.  Lullaby had it's spots, but everything else was very subpar.

Mackattack

« Reply #969 on: May 16, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »

Find this and read it^

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #970 on: May 16, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
^^^

ahhh, my bad dude!!!!! i meant to write that the FIRST THREE THAT I READ were much easier to get into!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #971 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Not a huge fan of Palanuik, seems that he writes solely for shock value. Currently reading:

VictoriousOG

« Reply #972 on: May 16, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
Picked this up after seeing people post it so many times in this thread:

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #973 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
^^^

ahhh, my bad dude!!!!! i meant to write that the FIRST THREE THAT I READ were much easier to get into!

Haha ok. Yeah, I was a little confused.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #974 on: May 16, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
To add to that, do not read Pygmy by Palahniuk. It is written so poorly. He's trying to write as a foreign exchange student and it just comes off as unreadable.

A classic. It's boring at times, but it's over a century old so it's expected. It must have been a real mind blower when it came out.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:05:56 PM by sven thorkel »
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Exile on MainSt.

« Reply #975 on: May 16, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
Finished Catch-22 a few nights ago. The first half is slow but overall it is a great satire, glad I stuck with it.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #976 on: May 17, 2011, 12:47:32 AM »
^^^

Yep, the other one was Survivor.  Chuck P has progressively gotten worse with Rant being ok.  Diary fucking sucked.  Lullaby had it's spots, but everything else was very subpar.
duly noted.  I've seen some of his short stories published in mags or online from time to time, and they vary from being semi-amusing to dull episodes of medical horror stories.

thinking of ordering this soon, anybody read it?

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #977 on: May 17, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »
You guys have recommendations for any Horror, SciFi or End of the world/Doomsday books?

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #978 on: May 17, 2011, 06:40:05 AM »
Not a huge fan of Palanuik, seems that he writes solely for shock value. Currently reading:

This and "A farewell to Arms" are my 2 fav hemmingway books. If you haven't read these get on that.

jackherer

« Reply #979 on: May 17, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »

Reading this right now, really well done.

Re-reading this at home, I can't recomend this book enough.

very nice

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #980 on: May 17, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »
You guys have recommendations for any Horror, SciFi or End of the world/Doomsday books?

Not really Doomsday-stuff, but two of the best in horror (and a little sci-fi) are Richard Matheson and HP Lovecraft.  Lovecraft's best shit always appears in Collections, it's super easy to find.  With Matheson, you should start with I Am Legend and Hell House.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #981 on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I can't recommend it enough. It's hilarious. Don't be tricked by its plot synopsis or it being labeled post-cyberpunk, just read it and laugh at its take on future America.

Also, a lot of Philip K. Dick novels are pretty interesting. I've read A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. They're pretty out there but worth reading.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:32:40 AM by sven thorkel »
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #982 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »
Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury are obvious choices, but they are classic for a reason.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #983 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »

Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I can't recommend it enough. It's hilarious. Don't be tricked by its plot synopsis or it being labeled post-cyberpunk, just read it and laugh at its take on future America.

Also, a lot of Philip K. Dick novels are pretty interesting. I've read A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. They're pretty out there but worth reading.

Yeah, I was going to recommend PKD as well.  I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and enjoyed it.  Scanner Darkly and Man in the High Castle are good too.  There are points in each one where he just takes it too far for me and either can't explain it well or I can't wrap my head around it but for the most part they are just cool spot-on critiques of our modern world.  I don't read much SF though.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #984 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »

Reading it right now, 80 pages in. It's alright so far but hasn't won me over just yet.

I've got Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke lined up next, the plot sounds good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Thanks! That's a ton of stuff.

Hate, I have the "Best Of" H.P. Lovecraft collection, so awesome. I should try to seek out more. I've read " am legend" which I really dug so I'll have to check out hell house. For assimov, I've read I Robot and that was awesome, and have all the foundation novels just haven't started them yet since its a bit daunting. What are some other good single (stand alone, not in a series) novels by Assimov? Bradbury, I have farenheight 751 so I'll read that for sure soon.

Sven, good call on scanner darkly and electric sheep, I've been meaning to read those but haven't yet because I read Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy and found it kind of boring and stale by the end so I think I'm not too into the humor scifi, but I will read Snow Crash since that sounds pretty cool.

This should keep me busy for a while

EDIT: I'm on the lookout for more doomsday type books, a few I've read that I enjoyed:

The Stand (Deadly Plauge)
Lucifer's Hammer (Giant Comet hits earth)
The Road (Nukes)
World War Z (Zombies)
Battlefield Earth (Aliens)
Starship Troopers (Aliens)
War of the Worlds (Aliens)
I Am Legend (Vampires)
The Day of the Triffads (Plants)
The Mist (Government rips hole into evil dimension)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:06:47 PM by Choad Muskrat »

Buddy G

« Reply #986 on: May 17, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »

Yeah, I was going to recommend PKD as well.?  I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and enjoyed it.?  Scanner Darkly and Man in the High Castle are good too.?  There are points in each one where he just takes it too far for me and either can't explain it well or I can't wrap my head around it but for the most part they are just cool spot-on critiques of our modern world.?  I don't read much SF though.

i just finished Valis, it's not really SF but i really liked it.. ubik is good, maze of death is amazing too.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #987 on: May 17, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
Hell House is just about the best haunted house story there is.  A homeowner hires a group of scientists and a group of people who believe in the spirit stuff to prove why his house is all fucked up.

jackherer

« Reply #988 on: May 17, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »
Hell House is just about the best haunted house story there is.  A homeowner hires a group of scientists and a group of people who believe in the spirit stuff to prove why his house is all fucked up.

im a huge matheson fan but i did not like that book one bit. science and haunted houses do not mix well, he gave it a good try, but just didn't work out in my eyes.

i prefer his short stories.

Frank the Rabbit

• Rep: 5
« Reply #989 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
I'm 100 pages into Ulysses and... FUCK! It's great but I've needed 15 minutes for every single page. So much shit in there.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
I'm so high right now, what's going on??