Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431123 times)

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #960 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote
You guys have recommendations for any Horror, SciFi or End of the world/Doomsday books?
[close]
Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I can't recommend it enough. It's hilarious. Don't be tricked by its plot synopsis or it being labeled post-cyberpunk, just read it and laugh at its take on future America.

Reading it right now, 80 pages in. It's alright so far but hasn't won me over just yet.

I've got Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke lined up next, the plot sounds good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #961 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Thanks! That's a ton of stuff.

Hate, I have the "Best Of" H.P. Lovecraft collection, so awesome. I should try to seek out more. I've read " am legend" which I really dug so I'll have to check out hell house. For assimov, I've read I Robot and that was awesome, and have all the foundation novels just haven't started them yet since its a bit daunting. What are some other good single (stand alone, not in a series) novels by Assimov? Bradbury, I have farenheight 751 so I'll read that for sure soon.

Sven, good call on scanner darkly and electric sheep, I've been meaning to read those but haven't yet because I read Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy and found it kind of boring and stale by the end so I think I'm not too into the humor scifi, but I will read Snow Crash since that sounds pretty cool.

This should keep me busy for a while

EDIT: I'm on the lookout for more doomsday type books, a few I've read that I enjoyed:

The Stand (Deadly Plauge)
Lucifer's Hammer (Giant Comet hits earth)
The Road (Nukes)
World War Z (Zombies)
Battlefield Earth (Aliens)
Starship Troopers (Aliens)
War of the Worlds (Aliens)
I Am Legend (Vampires)
The Day of the Triffads (Plants)
The Mist (Government rips hole into evil dimension)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:06:47 PM by Choad Muskrat »

Buddy G

« Reply #962 on: May 17, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You guys have recommendations for any Horror, SciFi or End of the world/Doomsday books?
[close]

Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I can't recommend it enough. It's hilarious. Don't be tricked by its plot synopsis or it being labeled post-cyberpunk, just read it and laugh at its take on future America.

Also, a lot of Philip K. Dick novels are pretty interesting. I've read A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. They're pretty out there but worth reading.
[close]

Yeah, I was going to recommend PKD as well.?  I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and enjoyed it.?  Scanner Darkly and Man in the High Castle are good too.?  There are points in each one where he just takes it too far for me and either can't explain it well or I can't wrap my head around it but for the most part they are just cool spot-on critiques of our modern world.?  I don't read much SF though.

i just finished Valis, it's not really SF but i really liked it.. ubik is good, maze of death is amazing too.

jackherer

« Reply #963 on: May 17, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »
Hell House is just about the best haunted house story there is.  A homeowner hires a group of scientists and a group of people who believe in the spirit stuff to prove why his house is all fucked up.

im a huge matheson fan but i did not like that book one bit. science and haunted houses do not mix well, he gave it a good try, but just didn't work out in my eyes.

i prefer his short stories.

Frank the Rabbit

• Rep: 5
« Reply #964 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
I'm 100 pages into Ulysses and... FUCK! It's great but I've needed 15 minutes for every single page. So much shit in there.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
I'm so high right now, what's going on??

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #965 on: May 17, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
I'm 100 pages into Ulysses and... FUCK! It's great but I've needed 15 minutes for every single page. So much shit in there.

Wait until it starts getting hard.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: May 17, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can't be the only one whose brain went right to the big ol' gay gutter.

;) :-*

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #967 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy - Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune.  Not so much an end of the world/doomsday story, but a detailed and spectacular analogy to our industrialised world, with all the related complexities of economics and power.  It blends sci-fi, politics and religion in a very holistic way to create a universe as messy as our own, and has a great story arc to boot. 

Also, giant sandworms: 

avoid the prequels by his son Brian (House Atreides, et. al.) like Shai-Hulud avoids water.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #968 on: May 18, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

it is my goal to someday complete, and understand at least 20%, of Ulysses.  re-reading Portrait after I finish my current book

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #969 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy - Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune.  Not so much an end of the world/doomsday story, but a detailed and spectacular analogy to our industrialised world, with all the related complexities of economics and power.  It blends sci-fi, politics and religion in a very holistic way to create a universe as messy as our own, and has a great story arc to boot. 

Also, giant sandworms: 

avoid the prequels by his son Brian (House Atreides, et. al.) like Shai-Hulud avoids water.

I went on a dune kick a while ago and read all 6 dune books (+hunters of dune and sandworms of dune), plus all the house books and the butlerian jihad/machine crusade/battle of corrin and really enjoyed them all. The dune universe and characters have so much depth, the original books are easily the best SciFi books I've ever read. I think his son did the other books pretty good justice using Frank Herbert's memoirs and manuscripts and with Kevin J. Anderson's help.

I haven't read "paul of dune" or "the winds of dune" but probably will at some point.

Hexagon

« Reply #970 on: May 18, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
it is my goal to someday complete, and understand at least 20%, of Ulysses.  re-reading Portrait after I finish my current book

i attempted Ulysses, but got fed up with how much time I was spending one just one book and read his other shit instead, which was enjoyable comparatively.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #971 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're the best sweetie  :-*

hate, you should probably review the UCMJ. Dont ask, don't tell. bwhahaha

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #972 on: May 19, 2011, 02:25:18 AM »

Fucking awesome. Moving on to this when I'm done:

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #973 on: June 09, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
Just finished this behemoth:

It's really good. Some parts are a little too technical, but I felt as though I learned a lot from it. It's practically four books in one and a large portion of it is devoted to some of the lesser known aspects of World War II. If you have endless amounts of free time, I recommend it. But for now, I'm going to stick to little books for awhile. It will cleanse me of this mental marathon.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:22:58 PM by sven thorkel »
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Jack

• Rep: 39
« Reply #974 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »
I found this book to be brilliantly written and readable in 2 hours. It's about the emotional/physical trials of life in post apartheid South Africa and just about life and being a human in general. Would recommend it to anyone who can read and is interested in culture and morality.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #975 on: June 09, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
been on a hemingway kick for the past 2 weeks:

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #976 on: June 09, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »
Finished this a few days ago. I've been a fan of Vonnegut's writing for a long time.

Started this yesterday.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: June 28, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »

What ever happened to private investigators?

It's good, but I thought it was going to be better. It could have been 200 pages less, then I would have probably enjoyed it more.

I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #978 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »

i just re-read this one.  it's awesome.  i love running and really enjoyed it...but i have friends that absolutely hate running and they all loved this book and recommended it to their friends as well.

it reads sort of like an exciting mystery/crime novel (it's neither of those). it's about this gnarly ass tribe in mexico and a group of renegade runners who like to party.  they go to meet the tribe and try to run with them.  the tribe is gnarly as hell and the old people of the tribe run up to 40 miles a day no problem in bare feet throughout the remote rugged mexican canyons.  

It is also an interesting look into the current running establishments and corporations and why they are so far off what it is actually supposed to be, and how they have created shoes and myths to keep sales high.

it is also like an anthropology lesson because he researches and proves why humans really were born to run and not walk.

sort of like  fast food nation mixed with some dope ass non fictionbook like freakonomics and a mystery thriller rolled into one.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:49:00 PM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

e.d.

• Rep: 63
« Reply #979 on: June 29, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
^ a few people have recommended 'born to run' I think I'll add it to my list.

My friend just gave me this for a flight yesterday. So far pretty good.

sorry if it's a repost.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #980 on: June 29, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
this book will make you laugh

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #981 on: July 04, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #982 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »

It would be cool if Paul Thomas Anderson follows through and actually makes it into a movie.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #983 on: July 17, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
Trying to bump this thread back. 

I'm about 500 pages into this and I've been enjoying it but its starting to get a bit tiresome. 

If you want a short, easy read that will put you in a good mood go for this one.

Thinking about picking this up next:

wheee!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #984 on: July 18, 2011, 12:53:48 AM »
Trying to bump this thread back. 

I'm about 500 pages into this and I've been enjoying it but its starting to get a bit tiresome. 

If you want a short, easy read that will put you in a good mood go for this one.

Thinking about picking this up next:

Oh damn, didn't see the name change til now.  I've been meaning to loan you the kafka complete stories. super good.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #985 on: July 18, 2011, 12:59:15 AM »

Read this.
Cold Ghengis

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #986 on: July 18, 2011, 03:28:03 AM »

Just finished this. Absolutely brilliant collection of essays, journalism and non-fiction. The story on the Adult Video Awards alone is more than enough reason to pick it up.

About to start this

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #987 on: July 18, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
This one has probably been posed already but whatever, it's amazing

Rum Diary is not nearly as crazy as Fear and Loathing (but really though, what is?) but it is still a fun read.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #988 on: July 18, 2011, 12:19:35 PM »

This book is so good. It's really weird because I'm over halfway through it, I don't feel like I'm really making much progress through it. You have to jump around a lot in it.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #989 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »

Just finished this. Absolutely brilliant collection of essays, journalism and non-fiction. The story on the Adult Video Awards alone is more than enough reason to pick it up.

Second it.

It's still relevant today.