Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431330 times)

kilgore.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1020 on: August 15, 2011, 03:24:54 AM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Buzz Killington

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1021 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »

Got 4 books the other day. Finally getting around to reading some Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle) right now. It's a bummer that Border's is going out of business but their liquidating sale that's going on is so sick! All the books were like $7-12

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #1022 on: August 15, 2011, 06:34:16 AM »

It's the funniest book I've read.

for sure the my funniest/favorite book ever next to the third book in the Game of Thrones series.  

my addition, a non fiction from the master of non fiction, david mccullough.   this book is awesome.
where is home?

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1023 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
Just got this in the mail

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1024 on: August 15, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

really good

and about to start:

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #1025 on: August 15, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
^ Just to warn you, it takes perseverance. A lot of my free time was shed on that book, but in the end, it was worth it.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

sametelt

« Reply #1026 on: August 16, 2011, 03:25:44 AM »
^ Just to warn you, it takes perseverance. A lot of my free time was shed on that book, but in the end, it was worth it.

Best novel I've ever read. If you stick through it will blow your mind.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1027 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »
I think it was written out of vanity and with no heart, but I didn't finish it so my opinion is void. Guy was brilliant.
Cold Ghengis

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #1028 on: August 16, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »
been reading    "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by  Ernest Hemingway . I usualy like Hemingway , but I find the book abit hmmmmm .
Some of the parts are really sick and great . others are abit long winded and boring to be honest . but its a good book and almost done with it

Hemingway is sick

Inanimate Object

« Reply #1029 on: August 17, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Just finishing:

sametelt

« Reply #1030 on: August 18, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
I think it was written out of vanity and with no heart, but I didn't finish it so my opinion is void. Guy was brilliant.

Infinite Jest? Care to elaborate?

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1031 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »

Even if you are not the biggest Rolling Stones fan I would still recommend Keith's autobiography, but if you like the stones, the 60s, 70s, rock history, and crazy stories then this is a must read.  Great stuff, I kept a pen and paper close by because he mentions so much good music I never heard of and I had to jot it down.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1032 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
Just finished "Disco Bloodbath" by James St. James, the book that later got adapted into the movie Party Monster. Highly recommend it.. it's about 300 pages, interesting, funny, pretty light reading.. I buzzed through it in a couple days.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1033 on: August 21, 2011, 07:13:47 AM »
haven't read it since I was younger, so decided to re-read it before the film comes out:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:16:04 AM by thepman »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Buddy G

« Reply #1034 on: August 21, 2011, 07:22:34 AM »
just finished this

which was pretty good and started this today:

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1035 on: August 22, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
I've got mixed feelings about Hitchens.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Buddy G

« Reply #1036 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
I've got mixed feelings about Hitchens.

yeah same, the book's an interesting read but i wouldn't say it made me like him any more than i did, which was a bit.

he likes himself a lot though, so it's probably ok.

Poele

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1037 on: August 23, 2011, 06:51:17 AM »

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1038 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Reading/getting constantly stumped by this at the moment.  Heavy going - string theory isn't easy to get yer head around.

Sarah Jessica ParkFootage

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1039 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »

Just finished this. Its unpleasant and pretty archaic but ultimately highly rewarding.
I've considered taking the plunge into Ultimate Jest but I dont think I have the patience, til i've honed my brain into a focused reading machine I'm working my way through DFWs essays and short stories.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #1040 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »

Classic Pynchon. Maybe a little easier to follow at times, and a little shorter than his average book, but that's all for the better.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1041 on: September 04, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »

I'm actually reading this. Back in highschool last may we analized "Eveline" and I was pretty interested in the whole idea of paralisis and ephiphany, definetly blew my mind. However, now that I'm reading it on my own I find it pretty hard to understand, like link the different stories and hidden meanings of the single novels. I'm actually starting "The boarding house", I hope things get clearer, still amazing writing techniques though. Anyone can share his idea on this?
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #1042 on: September 04, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
What do you mean you're having a hard time linking the different stories?

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #1043 on: September 04, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
It's hard if not impossible to divine all of the "meaning" and "links" of a literary text on your own just by reading it.  I would look up secondary sources on google scholar or jstor or even wikipedia to get a better idea of what's going on.  I read dubliners on my own and surely did not get all of the things you are looking for out of it but I really enjoyed it.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1044 on: September 04, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
I'm actually reading this. Back in highschool last may we analized "Eveline" and I was pretty interested in the whole idea of paralisis and ephiphany, definetly blew my mind. However, now that I'm reading it on my own I find it pretty hard to understand, like link the different stories and hidden meanings of the single novels. I'm actually starting "The boarding house", I hope things get clearer, still amazing writing techniques though. Anyone can share his idea on this?

Weirdly this was the last book I read. The stories aren't meant to have any discerning linkage. Sure, the book is a resounding delineation of dublin's characters, but really, there's not meant to be any parallels drawn between the short stories...at least I think anyway.

As for the bold text - what?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1045 on: September 04, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Weirdly this was the last book I read. The stories aren't meant to have any discerning linkage. Sure, the book is a resounding delineation of dublin's characters, but really, there's not meant to be any parallels drawn between the short stories...at least I think anyway.

Haha yeah, maybe I'm just too curious and I forced myself to see links even though there weren't, my bad. I was looking for further explanation in the following stories, just my fault.
Bold text: paralisis and ephiphany are two of Joyce's main features to express the personalities of people from Ireland and Dublin in general. For what I can remember from what I studied those people hate their state of life and want to escape their reality, but can't because of their weak personality.
E.g. in "Eveline" she wants to live her life abroad with her boyfriend but can't sail with him because she's paralised, like a weak animal, and tortured in her mind with the promise she made to her mother to keep the family together.
One the other hand epiphany is the trivial gesture (somehow similar to the "madeleine" of Proust) that marks the impossibility of the change; it's given by a sound, a memory and whatnot, something absolutely trivial but really important for the character. In Eveline this is given by the sound of an organ or something, that reminds her the night her mother died.

This is just my two cents, really. I hope this helped to understand the bold text.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:43:52 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1046 on: September 04, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
My cousin got me into this book called Shantaram. Its about an Australian man who is in prison and escapes as a fugitive to India and the book describes his adventures and relationships he develops there. It's a long ass read (i've been on and off with this one for a while between school stuff) but it's written really deep and poetically. It's pretty epic, almost like a long movie. I am kind of glad I have not finished it because this novel is some how still always involved in my life. I think a skateboarder would really dig the adventures and stories in this book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_%28novel%29
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1047 on: September 04, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha yeah, maybe I'm just too curious and I forced myself to see links even though there weren't, my bad. I was looking for further explanation in the following stories, just my fault.
Bold text: paralisis and ephiphany are two of Joyce's main features to express the personalities of people from Ireland and Dublin in general. For what I can remember from what I studied those people hate their state of life and want to escape their reality, but can't because of their weak personality.
E.g. in "Eveline" she wants to live her life abroad with her boyfriend but can't sail with him because she's paralised, like a weak animal, and tortured in her mind with the promise she made to her mother to keep the family together.
One the other hand epiphany is the trivial gesture (somehow similar to the "madeleine" of Proust) that marks the impossibility of the change; it's given by a sound, a memory and whatnot, something absolutely trivial but really important for the character. In Eveline this is given by the sound of an organ or something, that reminds her the night her mother died.

This is just my two cents, really. I hope this helped to understand the bold text.
Wait wait, not being a smartass but Eveline isn't paralysed - her muscles function...are you sure you haven't mixed up your terms? - if you mean "paralysis", it probably must be accompanied by another word or else it doesn't really transpose to literature.

As for "epiphany", in the grand scheme of things, yes, yes this is endemic in many of the stories in the collection.

Edit - just to give you a semi-local insight to the Eveline story... Ireland had inadmissable poverty and hardship and by virtue, emigration was rife. Thing is, with Ireland historically being quite a closed, conservative place; when somebody left, they left for good...and they NEVER returned. Essentially the undertone to many works is the struggle to decide between family, friends, custom, religion and adventure, freedom, liberty, work...

A really prolific example of this is in Brian Friel's - Philadelphia Here I Come...very well recommended.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:30:52 PM by Smurph »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
He means paralysis as in inaction. Obviously not physically paralyzed, but perhaps psychically, emotionally, metaphysically--which is a huge aspect of Joyce's novels. An inability of the characters, for whatever reason, to make changes that they know are necessary.

Along with Nietzsche, I'm reading this. Trying to finish both before my classes start.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1049 on: September 05, 2011, 03:44:20 AM »
He means paralysis as in inaction. Obviously not physically paralyzed, but perhaps psychically, emotionally, metaphysically--which is a huge aspect of Joyce's novels. An inability of the characters, for whatever reason, to make changes that they know are necessary.

This is what I meant.