Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431322 times)

Smurph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1050 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:02 AM »
Expand Quote
He means paralysis as in inaction. Obviously not physically paralyzed, but perhaps psychically, emotionally, metaphysically--which is a huge aspect of Joyce's novels. An inability of the characters, for whatever reason, to make changes that they know are necessary.
[close]

This is what I meant.
Cool, I understand...and sorry to be pedantic.

I'm actually reading this now:

It's too early in the book to give a resolute opinion.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:37:05 AM by Smurph »

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #1051 on: September 06, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
Just finished this
Apparently it's a revamped version with extra content to better match the movie... Should've gotten the original. It has a behind the scenes type thing on the process of getting the movie made so that was cool. Watched Blade Runner right after.

Going to start 1984 or The Gangs of New York, the actual historical accounts of what the movie is based on.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1052 on: September 06, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
If you are interested in the effects American foreign policy has on its citizens then I recommend "Blowback" by Chalmers Johnson. It is an amazing read. I am just finishing up his new book, so if you have read "Blowback" (though it isn't really necessary to read it first, I just think it is a better introduction to Johnson), I would read "Dismantling the Empire." It explores the effects of maintaining the cost of the American Empire and the power of the military industrial complex over American foreign policy.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #1053 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:38 AM »
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

yobzobbler

• Rep: -21
« Reply #1054 on: September 06, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »

Just finished this. Its unpleasant and pretty archaic but ultimately highly rewarding.

...Archaic?  It was written in '85... it's not Shakespeare here.

An "archaic" western would be something like Shane or John Wayne's early movies. Westerns today are wholly different from the clear-cut good/evil lines they drew back then.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1055 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
I'm actually reading this now:

It's too early in the book to give a resolute opinion.

Heycool, me too. Found a copy at the Salvation Army thrift store for 50 cents.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #1056 on: September 06, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
Incredible storyteller.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1057 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:31 AM »
unfuckwithable

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #1058 on: September 08, 2011, 11:12:49 AM »
Half way through that now. So far I completely agree.

Buddy G

« Reply #1059 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
journey to the end of the night is amazing, and so is everything Ballard wrote.

i just read Crash, well overdue.

are you guys into Houellebecq?

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1060 on: September 08, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
Started The Green Mile the other night. My first S. King book.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1061 on: September 10, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
Is Robinson Crusoe worth reading?  I just found it, read a chapter. Debating if it's worth the time investment.  I'd appreciate your feedback.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1062 on: September 10, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
are you guys into Houellebecq?

Got the Elementary Particles lined up. Think I'll start reading it this week.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1063 on: September 11, 2011, 12:51:07 AM »
Is Robinson Crusoe worth reading?  I just found it, read a chapter. Debating if it's worth the time investment.  I'd appreciate your feedback.
I finished it the other day. Had an on and off relationship with it, I needed 2 months for the first 200 pages but finished the rest pretty quickly. Why? I don't know but it's definitely worth reading, sometimes it's kinda boring, however,  the sections where he builds his shit are pretty cool. All in all: go ahead

Started Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:54:39 AM by awesomedolphinstyle »
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1064 on: September 11, 2011, 06:43:44 AM »

a third of the way through, pretty interesting even with all the freudian/jungian theory going over my head

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1065 on: September 11, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Is Robinson Crusoe worth reading?  I just found it, read a chapter. Debating if it's worth the time investment.  I'd appreciate your feedback.
[close]
I finished it the other day. Had an on and off relationship with it, I needed 2 months for the first 200 pages but finished the rest pretty quick. Why? I don't know but it's definitely worth reading, sometimes it's kinda boring, however,  the sections where he builds his shit are pretty cool. All in all: go ahead

Started Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf

Cool, thank you.  Will proceed.

Sarah Jessica ParkFootage

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1066 on: September 11, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Just finished this. Its unpleasant and pretty archaic but ultimately highly rewarding.
[close]

...Archaic?  It was written in '85... it's not Shakespeare here.

An "archaic" western would be something like Shane or John Wayne's early movies. Westerns today are wholly different from the clear-cut good/evil lines they drew back then.

I just meant the language is pretty archaic, especially with some of the dialogue which works for the novel but could act as a barrier for some people, I've just begun watching Deadwood and can't really get down with all the Effing, Blinding and Pussying that goes on. I'm presuming its fairly historically accurate but hearing "motherfucking" in the context of the 1870s seems so jarring.

penguin meat

« Reply #1067 on: September 11, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
"Eaarth"
For anyone who's into global, economic, environmental, climate stuff.  It's really fact heavy and hard to read if you aren't interested though.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1068 on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
I really like this graphic from Hardtimes.  I like Bukowski, but I've only read a couple books.  I think all the little dipshits that are so into him have tainted me.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1069 on: September 12, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

I'm halfway through it. I've slept on this one for awhile now, but if there's any Jared Diamond book to start on, it's this one. He's an excellent curator of information. This book explains the history of the world better than any other book (at least in my opinion) and it isn't even that boring. If you're under stimulated and in thirst of knowledge, I highly recommend Guns, Germs, and Steel.   
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1070 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »

borrowed a copy of The Red and The Black by Stendhal

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #1071 on: September 16, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »

Finished the first 4 books , they are really cool . First one was abit hard to read since I saw the HBO series first . But it was
good to read it since it filled in alot of missing stuff . The books are really well written and interesting . Only negative thing is when
you want to keep reading about the POV charecter you like the best but someone you dont care enough about shows up

Watched  Seven afew days ago , got inspired to read some of the books on John Does book list ( not in a weird psycho way ) .

Love this thread , so many new books to read . Just reading through all these pages you could have a really amazing bookshelf

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1072 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:59 AM »

Watched  Seven afew days ago , got inspired to read some of the books on John Does book list ( not in a weird psycho way ) .
Hmmm...

You know this is a really really really really really long poem, right? Apparently, if one is to assess the Trinity; "Inferno"  is the most accessible to readers whilst "Purgatoria" and "Paradiso" are tantamount to a switch flip 50-50 up el-toro. I think a supposed masterpiece like that can only truly be appreciated with a very fine-tuned knowledge of theology and philosophy. I would absolutely love to have the wisdom to be able to appreciate a work like this.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:34:18 AM by Smurph »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #1073 on: September 17, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »
Recently finished "White Flag of the Dead" (had some good reviews on Apple)... it's a zombiepocalypse book and though it could have used some better editing, it was a fucking great read. Just found out it's the first of a series, about to snag them.

Read The Zombie Autopsies but it was horrible.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #1074 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Expand Quote

Watched  Seven afew days ago , got inspired to read some of the books on John Does book list ( not in a weird psycho way ) .
[close]
Hmmm...

You know this is a really really really really really long poem, right? Apparently, if one is to assess the Trinity; "Inferno"  is the most accessible to readers whilst "Purgatoria" and "Paradiso" are tantamount to a switch flip 50-50 up el-toro. I think a supposed masterpiece like that can only truly be appreciated with a very fine-tuned knowledge of theology and philosophy. I would absolutely love to have the wisdom to be able to appreciate a work like this.

I've read the entire thing. "Purgatorio" and "Paradiso" are pretty difficult to get through. It's because hearing people get punished ("Inferno") is just a lot more interesting. Simple as that. You do need a lot of theological and linguistic knowledge (Dante wrote each section in different forms of Italian in an attempt to reflect each ares i.e. "Inferno" is really low brow Italian while "Paradiso" is in a very high-brow Italian that Dante invented to attempt to illustrate perfection in imperfect human language), but the copy I have has a lot of notes per book that helps explain a lot of the theological/historical/metaphysical aspects of the book.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #1075 on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
Well ive read  some shakespeare . Romeo and Juliet , Macbeth , Othello . And yeah it was hard to read in old english , but usualy you understand most of it , or kinda most of it .  some stuff was just  wtf .

And I knew The divine comedy will be a hard read , Ill be the first to admitt Im not a schoolar or super smart . If I can read it I can , if not well I guess Ill miss out . But Im not not gonna read it because its suposed to be a hard read .

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1076 on: September 17, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
Just bought Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum, which completes my trilogy of the Bourne series. Unless there's others I don't know about.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #1077 on: September 17, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
Just bought Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum, which completes my trilogy of the Bourne series. Unless there's others I don't know about.

That's it for the original trilogy. There's like 5 other ones that are supposed to be in the same universe.

Well ive read  some shakespeare . Romeo and Juliet , Macbeth , Othello . And yeah it was hard to read in old english , but usualy you understand most of it , or kinda most of it .  some stuff was just  wtf .

And I knew The divine comedy will be a hard read , Ill be the first to admitt Im not a schoolar or super smart . If I can read it I can , if not well I guess Ill miss out . But Im not not gonna read it because its suposed to be a hard read .

I hope you didn't take what I was trying to say as an insult or something. I was just sharing a bunch of stuff that I learned while I was reading the poem that I think'll enrich reading the work. I love the poem and would love to become fluent enough in Italian to read it.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #1078 on: September 17, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »

Making me hate 'Merica all over again

« Reply #1079 on: September 17, 2011, 09:45:51 PM »
what's that all about?