Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431351 times)

GISM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
  • pariah
Re: books to read
« Reply #1080 on: September 17, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »
To summarize Zinn's own words on the book: an American history book written from the perspective of the underrepresented people including slaves, servants, minorities, etc and not the leaders or winners of wars who have the privilege to write history how they see fit. Basically the real shit you only got a taste of in history class. The founding fathers are assholes, Columbus was more deliberate than imaginable, this entire plot of land was incredible before white people found it and the US has been founded on greed since the start.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1081 on: September 18, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
Just bought Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum, which completes my trilogy of the Bourne series. Unless there's others I don't know about.
Those are the one's tat Ludlum wrote. Someone else wrote the others.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

« Reply #1082 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
To summarize Zinn's own words on the book: an American history book written from the perspective of the underrepresented people including slaves, servants, minorities, etc and not the leaders or winners of wars who have the privilege to write history how they see fit. Basically the real shit you only got a taste of in history class. The founding fathers are assholes, Columbus was more deliberate than imaginable, this entire plot of land was incredible before white people found it and the US has been founded on greed since the start.

sounds awesome
gonna have to pick it up

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1083 on: September 18, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
I read these over the past couple of months:

I enjoyed how powerful emotion and intense characterisation are contrasted with a relatively simple prose, and fairly slow paced narrative - it makes for a very still yet electric quality, especially in the love story between robert and maria. I also found the interplay between human relationships and the spanish civil war particularly interesting, as the war, and its direct physical brutality, despite being primary in driving plot, is somewhat secondary to its effects on the people it envelops - of particular note were the passages about pablo's destruction of the fascist village, robert's account of what life will be like after the war, and the guerillas' differing attitudes to killing.

Pretty absorbing exploration into one man's ethical life - it looks at his, and society's, moral standards, especially sexual, and the idea of responsibility and consequence; the degradation of david currie's life from an act of seemingly harmless lust (a relationship with his student) to the utter violence and trauma of his daughter's rape is a particularly pertinent central feature, which in itself leads to examinations of familial relationships, duty and south-african life. The writing style as well is interesting - its written in a fragmentary narrative form, where specific time almost becomes an irrelevance, and where seemingly crucial events are almost skirted over (i'm sure there's many things to read into this, but I need to remember this is slap not an essay)

I'm sure most of you will have read this, or seen the play, but I hadn't, so thought it would make for an enjoyable quick read - this was correct. Very original and juxtaposed characters (stanley vs. blanche vs. stella), especially considering it was written in 1947  (a modern reader could be forgiven for thinking it cliched, due to the class/race/sexual/psychological themes, but that's no fault of tenessee's) Rich sensory imagery throughout and cool insight into social pressures and changes occuring in america at the end of the war.

I'm about 65% through this, so can't give a final verdict, but i've enjoyed it for the most part so far. George Elliot is a brilliant wordsmith; she utilises a vast vocabulary without being verbose, and is erudite without being pompous. What i've most enjoyed is her great sensitivity to the emotions of young Maggie, and how her childish feelings overrule any rational logic in moments of passion. On quite a few occasions i've been surprised to empathise with descriptions of very specific and seemingly unusual behaviour - a great skill on elliot's part.

Have just started this - quite a contrast from my reading habits as of... well as of ever really, so it should be a fresh experience (despite the obvious archaism haha). I have a feeling that until I properly study it, much of the detail, intertextuality and references will go over my head - but i'll try and make use of its notes as best I can...

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1084 on: September 24, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
I am sure this book is on this list a bunch of times but I just started reading Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States". I read it maybe 6 years ago and this may be the first book I have decided to read again. It is that good!

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #1085 on: September 24, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »

If you like laughing at idiots, this book is for you. This guy is full person.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1086 on: September 24, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Just started this:

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1087 on: September 24, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »

If you like laughing at idiots, this book is for you. This guy is full person.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #1088 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:27 AM »
@ Pippen-I love "Lolita" (and Nabokov in general), so if you want to talk about the novel, feel free to PM me.

@ cringe-Same for you with "Paradise Lost."

I'll try to do the best I can without the works at hand.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #1089 on: September 25, 2011, 02:48:24 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Well ive read  some shakespeare . Romeo and Juliet , Macbeth , Othello . And yeah it was hard to read in old english , but usualy you understand most of it , or kinda most of it .  some stuff was just  wtf .

And I knew The divine comedy will be a hard read , Ill be the first to admitt Im not a schoolar or super smart . If I can read it I can , if not well I guess Ill miss out . But Im not not gonna read it because its suposed to be a hard read .
[close]

I hope you didn't take what I was trying to say as an insult or something. I was just sharing a bunch of stuff that I learned while I was reading the poem that I think'll enrich reading the work. I love the poem and would love to become fluent enough in Italian to read it.

[close]

Nah didnt take it like that . its all good

And started reading some disc world books . Any Terry Pratchett fans ? . Most of the books are around 300+ pages so you can finish one a day

LesbianPUNCH

« Reply #1090 on: September 29, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »
Saw a trailer for the movie We Need to Talk About Kevin.  So I decided to read the book.  The movie is going to be absolutely brutal.  The novel seems unlikely in it's format initially, until you reach the conclusion, the "twist" of the plot, which makes the novel absolutely perfect.  Couldn't put it down.  Lionel Shriver.  READ IT!

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1091 on: September 29, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »

Inanimate Object

« Reply #1092 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »

I was reading this and I had to stop. I actually find it horrifying. It was too unsettling. That's a testament to Wallace's talent, if anything.

sametelt

« Reply #1093 on: September 30, 2011, 01:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was reading this and I had to stop. I actually find it horrifying. It was too unsettling. That's a testament to Wallace's talent, if anything.

I see what you mean. It's pretty different from the rest of his stuff. His work was never particularly upbeat, but this is pure modern-life hopelessness/claustrophobia. I really like it though, I just can't go through too much of it in one go.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:22:36 AM by sametelt »

MAD FOE

« Reply #1094 on: September 30, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
What's the title of Rodney Mullen's Biography/Autobiography? (don't know which one's which)
Wouldn't mind checking that one out, and any other names of interesting books which appeal to the skateboarding culture.
Like to become a little more literate.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1095 on: September 30, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »
What's the title of Rodney Mullen's Biography/Autobiography? (don't know which one's which)
Wouldn't mind checking that one out, and any other names of interesting books which appeal to the skateboarding culture.
Like to become a little more literate.
I think his autobiography is called Mutt: how to skateboard and not kill yourself. Great read.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #1096 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »

It was longer than I expected, but it had enough funny moments to keep me entertained.

"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1097 on: October 04, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »

I know everyone always recommends this book, but i absolutely hated it.

Based on the lack of any comment, i'm guessing you did too.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1098 on: October 04, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
If it was longer I would've probably hated it, but I thought it was decent. I liked the premise and all. I could see how someone would hate it though. Sometimes his use of words and metaphors are unbearable, but the book is pretty old now.

I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

alexanderportnoy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1099 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:54 AM »
Just started this:

I'm like 80 pages in, love it. Such a good writing style.

Picked up some paperbacks at the library the other day. $6 for 5 books? Hell yeah.

Also got a random book of German poetry, since I'm trying to learn it just for kicks. And a super short Virginia Woolf story too. Coolest part was that the books all looked really dated and had unique covers that I've never seen before.

sametelt

« Reply #1100 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Fuck The Return of the Native. Sick edition of Madame Bovary, though.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1101 on: October 05, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I know everyone always recommends this book, but i absolutely hated it.

Based on the lack of any comment, i'm guessing you did too.

Haha this book is sick, but yeah, when my english teacher showed the movie during class I was the only one that even liked it, let alone go buying the book and read it! I even took it to the final exam as the english part of my thesis against totalitarianism and I was stoked on how it turned out.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
« Reply #1102 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »

Read this recently.  It was far too short, I wanted so much more because it was such a good read.  Birbiglia is a good comic and an awesome writer.  He's one of the few comedians I can think of who wrote a great set of personal stories and managed to not reference the fact that he was writing a book even one time.  It was really funny and heartbreaking and honest.

Has anyone here read "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers?  I've been thinking about picking that up

Ludwig Wittgenstein

« Reply #1103 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
"The Myth of Sisyphus" had a massive impact on my life. It's probably been mentioned, but I don't care enough to read this whole thread.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1104 on: October 07, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »

A good collection of very short stories, and one mid-range story that's the basis of the movie Wristcutters. It's a quick and funny read. No complaints from me.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1105 on: October 13, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
I don't want to be a double poster, but nobody else is reviving this thread.

If you ran out of Vonnegut books to read, and want to read something similar, this is a pretty good substitute. Tom Robbins is more sillier, and less sad/dark though.  

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1106 on: October 13, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »

Has anyone here read "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers?  I've been thinking about picking that up

I read that book after my friend recommended it since it's her favorite book.  It's definitely a good read, sad and depressing yet also funny, and never once boring

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1107 on: October 14, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »
About to finish The Green Mile. Any good must read books that y'all recommend.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #1108 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:47 AM »
If you're the least excited about the film adaptation of The Hobbit and haven't read the book yet, I suggest reading it before the movie comes out. It's a great book.

I'm halfway through this...

It's about the last days of the British witchhunts and goes into detail about the prevailing superstitions of the day. Add to that a talking copy of Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica and it's a pretty interesting read.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #1109 on: October 22, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »
You Can't Print That! The Truth Behind The News by George Seldes.

about the first world war and the role of journalists and media outlets.

Anyone else have some good non-fiction?